Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by jerrytodd on 08-18-2013

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 28
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Deep mahogany brown. Light does shine through the center of the glass. Excellent lace, particularly for the style. Moderate beige head.

Nearly devoid of smell. I get just a little bit fresh cream and some raw cream.

Starts with a toasted malt flavor. This transforms to a harsher more burnt flavor. I think I get some straight up bittering hop in the swallow. The aftertaste is dry with a touch of ash. Thin bodied but with a neutral effervescence.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank at the brewery with Jimbo

A: Nearly black tho' when held to the light there was a deep ruby hue as well. Clear and very nice head and lacing

S: Chocolate with subtle sweet malt and pine

T: I'd describe this as a chocolate porter made into a lager. Chocolate with a complex malt depth, beautiful balance of toffe/caramel/fig sweetness and slightly spicy pine bitterness. If it were winter I'd be ordering this all night

M: Luscious with a pleasing clean finish

O: I've been to the brewery countless times (hey they're in my hood and I'm a huge fan) and never ordered this as I'm partial to their hoppier offerings, but this was a real revelation and I'm starting to think their maltier beers like this one are just as strong as their IPA's. Recommended.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If I'm being completely honest, on his way over to my apartment my buddy picked up a growler of this based solely on the name. I told him to surprise me, he's an Ozzy fan so I should have known.

Pleasantly surprised.

Kind of like a hybrid, I'm not sure what category this falls under (I know it's a lager from their own classification/name) but it wasn't like the other more hoppier offerings I'd sampled from Single Cut.

It was pretty in the glass, had a chocolaty, coffee-like flavor. It was easy to drink and kinda crept-up on me. This was a good beer from Single Cut and I would definitely like to have a pint next time I sit down in their taproom.

John Michael Dark Lyric Lagrrr! from SingleCut Beersmiths
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.