Original Flag Porter 1825 | Elgood and Sons Ltd

Alströms:

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma roasted malt, nuttiness, faint coffee & mocha. Taste chocolate, malt, faint lactose, coconut, & coffee;, slight roasty bitter finish.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark burnt brown with a small tan head with light lacing. Aroma is of dark roasted caramel malt with some espresso beans. Taste of dark roasted caramel malt lightly burnt espresso and malt give it a mild bitter flavor. Palate is a medium to full body, slightly creamy and smooth texture with mild carbonation. Finishes with a roasted slightly burnt dark caramel malt, some espresso, mild bitterness for balance. Overall a good, flavorful and solid porter

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

What a cool story to go with this brew. I'm not really sure if it's just marketing, but regardless, this is a great one. Sour, roasted aroma - off-putting some, very inviting to me. I was really impressed with the sour yeasty taste, and this characteristic is what really made me love this beer. I had this brew prior to finding my real love - the sour ale, and this was a good indicator of where I was headed. Grab it if you can find it.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Appearance - Pretty much completely black with almost no head that faded quickly.

Smell - A toffee-like, caramel smell.

Taste - Malty, lightly bitter, with a coffee-like finish.

Mouthfeel - Kinda thick with light carbonation.

Overall - Not the greatest in my opinion.. but I think porters just aren't my thing.

4.87/5  rDev +27.5%

I recieved this in my monthly club selections from Half Time distributing, so I'm surprised to see it listed as retired!

This beer has made a Porter fan out of me! It's an amazing story of culturing yeast from sunken 19th.Century beer and recreating it!

This has a full long lasting head, dark brown color, well carbonated and just the right malt taste. Considering the yeast it should have tasted like old boots !
(Which does happen, I know, I once homebrewed a batch that was booty!)
Hopefully, you can get your hands on some of this realy superb brew!

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

This poured out as a semi thick looking black tar liquid. The head came and went pretty quickly. The smell was heavily roasted and burnt smelling with some bitterness on the nose. The taste was kind of charred in my opinion, it was very burnt tasting. There wasn't too much else happening in the taste, I was able to get much of a hop flavor or some kind of dark fruits. The mouthfeel was decent had a dry feel to it. Overall I don't think I'll be missing this beer since it's been retired.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured very dark brown into a tulip with a thin film of tan head. Powerful aroma of molasses, nutty caramel, and hints of fig and vanilla.

Low carbonation and a light mouthfeel that seems to alternate between thin and creamy. Some nutty malt sweetness up front followed by a slightly bitter finish with hints of dark chocolate and bit of coffee. Easy drinking and quite complex, although the flavors didn't quite stack up to the aroma's promise.

I decided to review this one because it is pretty much the beer that got me in to craft brewing. Besides that, the story of the sunken ship is actually pretty cool. The color is very dark brown, and comes with a small amount of white heading. The smell is of light cocoa, molasses and ink. The taste is very similar to the smell, with an almost milky quality that compliments the chocolate characters. The moithfeel is light, and easy on the palate, with just a small amount of carbonation. For me, this is what an English style Porter is. It may not be as impressive as it was when I first tried it, but it is still a damn tasty beer that I am glad I revisited.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Pours a translucent mahogany with some ruby highlights. 1-finger light beige head; moderate, layered lacing.

The smell is some sour yeast, chocolate, and slight charcoal. The taste is charred malts, sour yeast, and a little coffee. Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated, but not too acidic.

This is a drinkable beer. I could easily have a session with this, but I don't know how easy it is to find now.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

(From Notes)

This is among the best (if not the best) porters I've had. The beer is at once soft and supple, but layered. It also changes significantly in taste from fridge temperature to room temperature (unless you live in Canada or Siberia or something).

Thin, jet black body with a bubbly brown head that just melts away leaving a moderate lacing. Smell is of roasted dark chocolate, anise powder, and amaretto. Spot on for the style and not at all overpowering. Chocolate malts are milky and slightly burnt in the mouth, where the hop structure begins to come out.

Very English. Great finish, with a touch of light carbonation and crispness that carry the flavours (must go with the English spelling on this one) through to the end.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown color. A very light tan head forms with pour retention. A light film of lace.
S: Roasted malt with caramel, chocolate, and light coffee. A sour, almost tannin like fruitiness.
T: Not very complex, but a perfect blend of roasted malt, chocolate, caramel, and coffee. I light sourness that follows the nose.
M/D: A medium body that is creamy and smooth. Exceptionally easy to drink. Something I could session all day.

This is a really good English Porter. It has pretty much everything I look for in the style. Highly recommended for people like me that love the style.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass
A - Dark mahogany, nearly black with thin head
S - Aroma of milk chocolate and milk with a bit of coffee
T - Tastes of chocolate and milk with some notes of coffee. A bit light on the malt for a porter
M - Thin mouthfeel with near zero carbonation. Finishes very quickly.
D - While it is tasty, there are better porters out there for the money. Worth a try though.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Not much head on this one. Just a soapy cap. Some decent lacing is present though. The body is brown with some nice chunky sediment.

S- Some nice deep chocolate, vanilla and cream notes with a touch of coffee, and some nice sweet breads and dark fruits.

T- Starts creamy with notes of oak, chocolate, cream, and slight coffee. Finishes dry with residual oakiness.

M- Nice low carbonation and dry finish.

D- @5% this is a nice porter, but there are others out there that are better and a fraction of this price. I paid $3.99 for my single, so that gives you a scope of cheaper options out there.

3.61/5  rDev -5.5%

Well, I had to buy this beer when the owner of the bar told me the story. Anyway, it pours a deep mahogany brown with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. There wasn't a lot to the smell honestly. I got some faint coffee aromas and some sweet malts with some nutty aromas as well. The taste was better, with a well defined roasted character. Chocolate malts and coffee were also present long with a bit of nuts and dark fruit as well. The mouthfeel was a tad thin, but had good carbonation. I enjoyed this porter and it was very drinkable despite not being the most complex porter out there.

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Hommel snifter, Flag Porter is a dark garnet black with only a wisp of a collar, a few large bubbles.

Smell is a bit of sweet caramel malt, chocolate malt balls, slightly charred and a touch sour, but in good ways that are most appropriate to the style.

Taste is nice chocolate malt, neither sweet or bitter but very smooth, a slight lactose character. Again, just a slight amount of char and lactose on the slightly bitter finish, a very nice English porter.

Mouthfeel is lighter, with just a bit of crisp, tight carbonation.

Drinkability is very good, a light and tasty porter for sure. I heard this beer is no longer made, which would be a real shame both as a good beer and for it's historical significance. However, it's still readily available in my area, so hopefully that's not the case!

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

I think I bought this bottle about 6 months ago and just found it.
The verdict?
Delicious. Rich, unsweetened (but not bitter) chocolatey goodness. One of the nicest porters I've tried. It's a bit different, maybe less of the sour hint at the finish that some porters have.
I hope it's not retired: I want to get some more of this. Well done, Elgood & Sons.

Original Flag Porter 1825 from Elgood and Sons Ltd