Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fair Maiden Double IPA | Foley Brothers Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Bierman9 on 05-26-2014

#456

1.72/5  rDev -60.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Smooth with a nice bite, nicely hopped

Not very good at all

3.22/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Way too sweet and malty for me.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This ain't no citrusy New England IPA. Powerful candied floral flavor. Different from any other IPA I've had to date. Not a fan.

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured without any head to speak of and had very little lacing and none stuck to the edge of the glass that this was poured into, which caused pause.
The color of this beer is a opaque pale copper to a goldish color similar to a unfiltered wheat IPA or some such newer beer style.
Having heard this was world class amazing considering the initial pour and look of this beer I was eagerly awaiting putting this to my nose and then tasting it.
Then lets do it.
The aroma is of light fruits probably mostly orange without any popular hops hints coming through at all. Although I am a big fan of fruits: raw, in pies, drink aromas, jellies, whatever: I can not honestly say that a beer with a light oranges aroma would immediately win me over I must now drink from the glass I poured.
Light orange peel taste is quite welcome to me when I'm drinking a hefe or American Wheat beer but when drinking a Double/Imperial IPA I was overwhelming disappointed with the taste of this beer.
I was so looking forward to drinking this beer, having to hunt it down when I was in the general area that this beer is produced I was greatly disappointed in what it had to offer. It is nowhere close to anything like Heady Topper, Pliny the Elder, Project Dank, or any of the other worthy IPA's or double IPA's I have tried.
I guess the one saving grace of this beer is that there are no real negatives, turn offs, and I'm sure you have all tried those beers that give you that bitter beer face, or whatever face. You know what I mean.
My only remaining hope is that the alcohol percent lives up to its billing.

3.34/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Too much bitterness for my liking.

3.39/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a minimal white head. Some pretty good lacing around the glass.

The smell is fruity, with some notes of tangerine and melon. I detect the faintest hint of pine as well.

The taste is very malt-forward for a DIPA, with the sweet, biscuity malt coming through quite aggressively. There are also notes of orange and tangerine, as well as some subtle notes of grass on the back end.

The feel is medium-bodied with light carbonation. This is a very smooth, dry beer.

Overall, pretty disappointed with this one given the hype. This drinks more like a 6% IPA than an 8.2% DIPA. That said, it's still a solid beer, and one I'd give a try again. I would love to see how this beer is on tap and to see if there are any significant changes. My biggest issue with this is the malt being so strong. I love a well-balanced IPA (and DIPA) but this is a bit much for me. It's too sweet and the hop notes are simply too restrained to be worth noting.

3.39/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Looked nice. Expected great things. Too malty for me.

3.41/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Taste was exceptionally bitter and sour. I don't get the hype surrounding this new beer. Perhaps I had a bottle that was very old and all of the hops faded. Taste was very malty with little to no hop presence. All DIPAs needs dates on the bottle for this reason.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

A birthday gift from duffextracold

Dark orange squash color with a frothy head. Nearly opaque despite my careful decanting. Dank orange and grapefruit aroma that melds into a citrus hard candy aroma once the malt wakes up a bit. Tastes like it smells: grapefruit juice with some sharp pine the back nearly overpowered by sweet, sweet liquid candy malt. Flirts with cloying. Mild bitter for a DIPA.

It hits all the necessary marks but doesn't overachieve in any particular area. I'd like to see the sweetness toned down a bit.

Split with my dad whom is neither a maiden for fair.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours out a very clear orange color with about a finger and a half of fluffy white head. Smells of some hops and citrus, but mostly malty sweetness. Taste follows suit with the malt dominating even more here. I think it may be past its prime. Wish they dated their bottles, because i have no way of knowing. Solid, but nothing groundbreaking.

3.56/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Special thanks to Maverick74 for the great extras

A - Hazy apple cider body with two fingers of pillowy off-white head. Nice retention and great lace.

S - Slightly worty nose. Wet bread, leafy greens, wilted basil, touch of spearmint.

T - Wet cilantro, rosemary and a touch of pine. Grass, boiled broccoli, and lemon on the backend.

M - Medium-light body. Ok carbonation.

O - Surprisingly vegetal. The beer was extremely hit or miss in the tasting group that I enjoyed this with.

Fair Maiden Double IPA from Foley Brothers Brewing