Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Coolcumber | Wicked Weed Brewing

3.32/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazed amber with a sliver of cream colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Cucumber, grassy

T: Follows the nose, plus dryness & Basil up front. Some pear notes, hints of honey & a little more cucumber & dryness as this warms along with a little cucumber. Finishes dry, a little sweet with some Basil & a litttle cucumber

MF: Medium body, slight carbonation

Drinks great for the strength.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottled 06.14.17

Pours slightly foggy gold with a creamy white foam head. Smells like musty cucumber, juniper berries, basil, malty grains, some melon, lime, lemon, minty tobacco spice, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like cucumber, malty grains, basil, juniper berries, some melon, lime, lemony citrus, minty tobacco spice, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. Overall a really nice and interesting unique golden ale.

4.11/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

If you have been following my doings, I just completed a Howling Henry's horizontal, culminating with their BOPA (Basil Onion Pale Ale) & having recently scored this bottle, I wanted to drink it next since one of its adjuncts is basil, as well as cucumber and juniper berries.

From the bottle: "Summer in Carolina is a time when days grow long, life slows down, and friends grow near. Gardens burst with brisk basil and fresh cucumbers, fireflies illuminate the night sky, and warm days leave us lounging late, our glasses brimming with golden nectar. Summer in the South is best served cool."

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour into the awaiting glass. An in-glass swirl raised two-plus fingers of soapy, foamy, eggshell-white head with moderate retention. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), like liquid sunshine in my glass, summoning forth The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Nose smelled of basil & what I would have mistakenly guessed to be blueberries. I suppose that I do not truck enough with gin or juniper berries to be able to recognize them. Mouthfeel was medium. The initial taste was definitely of basil, although not as strong as in BOPA, but then I got a fruitiness that was definitely NOT blueberry! It was sharpish and suddenly I was reminded of my early-20s, when I picked up a Tanqueray & Tonic habit while on my first Mediterranean cruise/deployment. Yep, that would be juniper berries. I am unsure as to what the cucumber was adding since these were two very aggressive flavors to begin with and when working in tandem as they were, it was tough to get anything else. It was on the dry finish that I began to taste the cucumber finally coming through.

When we were kids, my best friend & I were the only ones among the neighborhood kids who did not eschew vegetables. Hell, we were eating raw veggies when everyone else was into candy. I'm still not big on radishes, but I can suddenly taste those sliced cucumbers that his late-mom used to put out for us.

I have to give it up for a beer that is so evocative of its ingredients. I know that there is a sellout backlash against Wicked Weed currently, but if you deprive yourself of this Summertime beer on that basis, then you have done yourself a disservice.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The flavors in this beer were not blended well enough. Overwhelming cucumber but still enjoyable and refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from the tap into a tulip glass at Varner's in Smyrna, GA. The appearance is a mildly murky golden color with a small white head. The aroma is mildly scented spices, cucumber was not present to me. The taste was a very mild basil and very slight cucumber taste. An excellent beer.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Aroma is laden with cucumber and Juniper, with a hint of basil.

Flavor is more cucumber forward, fairly dry and crisp, with basil lingering in the finish.

2.77/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Overall interesting but too much cucumber to be enjoyable for me.

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Coolcumber from Wicked Weed Brewing