Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

Reviews: 726 | Ratings: 2,696
2.3/5  rDev -25.8%

So I’m not going to break this beer down by the old ASTMO, because I just really don’t like it. I’ve had it before and I have a ton of beer that is in my fridge that I need to take down before I leave Houston, and that date is encroaching rapidly. I can’t bring myself to just throw this beer away or even drink it without reviewing it, because I just hate it so much and I don’t ever want to have to buy it again in order to review it. Now lets move on to my brief inebriated thoughts as I casually dismantle this beer.

I think that it is a failed approach to a pumpkin beer. A caricature of what a beer is supposed to be. In fact, I could even see someone without an ounce of beer knowledge thoroughly enjoying it. It tastes like a big, stupid, pumpkin. Like a horrible, watery, metallic, facetious, hyperbolic pumpkin. I just hate this beer. I want to meet the guy who gave this the nod as the beer they wanted to put out there. And I just want to say to him that he, no matter who he is, is better than what this beer represents to me. It’s a cop-out, it’s bad, deceptive, blunt—literally without any subtlety or complexity. It’s not even about how bad this is, it’s more about how you can tell there is no love here. I’m not sure that even one person involved in the brewing of this cared at all about trying to really make a beer they thought people would enjoy you know? It tastes like a marketing campaign.

Don’t buy this beer. Just don’t do it.

3.42/5  rDev +10.3%

Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Golden, CO. Actually now called Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale, not Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale, although I'm sure it's the same recipe.

This beer had a nice, but strong nutmeg smell. Intense pumpkin and nutmeg flavor. Enjoyed. Not my favorite pumpkin ale, but better than average.

I drank it from a bottle from a Blue Moon Sampler 12-pack from Food City in Knoxville, TN on 12/19/2012.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

12 ounce bottle -> Samuel Adams perfect pint glass

This beer pours up a saturated amber color with a initial one finger off color fluffy head which dissipates quickly and no lacing. Smell is very strong pumpkin spice, clove, and bananas. Taste is a fizzy metallic up front followed by an overpowering unpleasant pumpkin tasting bitterness. Mouthfeel is kind of thin, but the aftertaste is just awful. Maybe I just don't care for pumpkin, but I'd pass on this if it ever comes my way again.

3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Poured a nice rich orange tea color or amber color with a decent head, slightly sticky to walls of the glass.

S: Aroma is just what you would think pumkin pie and spice . Cinnamon clove ginger nutmeg Slightly sweet malt in there at the back end of smell.

T: Taste is much of the same nice balance in malt spice and overall taste not to sweet.

M: Mouthfeel is a medium body with a good amount of carbonation slight metallic tang at the back end.

O: Overall a decent beer worth a revisit maybe next year.

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

I have had this brew many times, but just recently sat down and actually did an evaluation of the brew itself. I used to like this beer a lot more, and either my tastes are changing or they sweetened the recipe this year. Side poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice brown/copper color with a decent one finger that evaporates quickly but leaves mediocre lacing. The packaging is kind of neat. It's almost an orange color, certainly unique. The best part of the beer.

Smell - Whoa pumpkin spices, clove, and nutmeg. Overwhelming amounts. I can almost smell the sugar in this beer. In fact, I think I can smell the sugars. Very potent nose, though not necessarily a good thing in this case.

Taste - Just like the nose. Overwhelmingly sweet from front to back. Spices, brown sugar, nutmeg, and clove overwhelm the palate in a veritable assault on your taste buds. Yikes.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and carbonation, but the sickly sweetness sticks in your throat like drinking hot soda on a hot day.

Overall - Try it once, maybe. It is powerfully sweet, doesn't even really resemble beer all that much. I think they sweetened the recipe this year, because I don't remember it being that strong last year. Either way, I won't buy it again. A poor offering from a generally good Blue Moon product line.

3.24/5  rDev +4.5%

Look: Darker brown almost like an apple cider.

Smell: Sweet aroma with cinnamon sugar and pumpkin spice.

Taste: Smooth crisp pumpkin pie taste. A balanced blend of flavors that are just right.

Mouthfeel: This is brew is best served ice cold. The colder this brew is, the better it tastes. I would defiantly say that one wouldn’t be enough but it depends on your preference.

Overall: the only way to describe is having a big piece of pumpkin pie with whip cream on top. This brew is 5.7% alc. by vol. but goes down so smooth. You can’t have just one. By the end of the night we were all drinking this seasonal collection brew

collage girls drink GOOD beer:

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear. Dark amber to light copper color. The fizzy, white head disappears almost instantly. No lacing.

Heavy spice in the aroma. Some sweet malt in the background, with a little bit of a funky metallic aroma.

Heavy spice also in the flavor. Probably too much. I would prefer more sweetness to provide a balance. The spice blend is great, though. One of the better pumpkin spice profiles I've had.

A light to medium bodied beer. Prickly, but nice carbonation. Not overly fizzy. A moderate length finish.

I really thought this beer was going to fall flat. It definitely blew my expectations out of the water.

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. On the pour I got about three fingers of foam that went away really quickly. The coloring is a vibrant orange.

The smell was surprisingly good. I like the plentiful pumpkin, nutmeg, and clove smells.

The flavor is really overwhelming. The nutmeg and clove come through really strong. Unfortunately the back end is a punch in the jaw.

This is an average pumpkin beer. I would recommend many other over this one, but this one works for tailgates and hanging around the campfire.

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

a way overly spiced pumpkin beer in my opinion. on tap at dave and busters, this one pours a nice amber shade with a faint orange glow and a fleeting off white head. the nose is nutmeg and clove, a little vanilla, and red and caramel malts. no squash to speak of. the same is true of the flavor, where the heavy spice dose totally crowds out any real pumpkin thats in this beer. its very desserty, like a pumpkin pie, seasonally okay, but to me id like to see more of the actual pumpkin. all the spice makes it a tough beer to session, even though the body is just medium and the carbonation is good. its not a bad beer, dont get me wrong, and definitely better than some of the other blue moon seasonals, but ive come to like my pumpkin beers to showcase the vegetable, not the spice, and this one is just too spice based for me. others may disagree.

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: the beer pours with a nice amber color and a small orange-white head that does not last for to long, very little lacing

S: smells of pumpkin and the associated spices nutmeg clove etc, hints of wheat

T: there is a strong pumpkin flavor though it is probably not real pumpkin, the spices are noticeable, it has a refreshing flavor somewhat sweet and it leaves a pleasant after taste

M: the mouthfeel is pleasant and smooth not overly carbonated the sweet flavors and spices tend to lessen by the time you swallow

O: i like this beer its nothing spectacular but very enjoyable i like the balance the beer has and while some may dislike the slight sweetness i actually like that aspect, overall this is a solid seasonal choice

serving type: bottle

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I believe this is my first Blue Moon review. I bought a 6 pack of this about a week ago and paid more than it was worth, thats for sure. But I drank all five and left 1 to review, so here it is.

A: This beer pours a deep, reddish-amber color with a solid 3/4 in soapy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing.

S: Aroma consists of some pumpkin spice, though I doubt they use real pumpkin in this one. I get some clove, nutmeg and maybe some wheat or yeast.

T: Taste is consistent with the smell, allspice up front followed by traces of clove and nutmeg.Has a wheat-type finish with a dry, yeast aftertaste.

M: creamy and smooth, the taste starts with sweetness from the front of your tongue and follows with dryness towards the back of the mouth.

O: For a twist off cap, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Im not buying that they use real pumpkin from vines, but it is a nice artificial pumpkin pie flavor with a good balance of sweetness and blandness.

3.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale - Another got to try before halloween!

Appearance - A nice meaty orange hinted medium brown, just about what you would think of a pumpkin ale. Nothing spectacular but nice

Smell - Great smell of orange, nutmeg, and other seasonal spices

Taste - Pretty bland with not much flavor... aftertaste seems more to me of light pumpkin.

Mouthfeel - the carbonation needs some more and it doesn't seem to match

Overall - I dont think I would serve this at a party but might be a nice addition to halloween sampler.

3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial Pint.
5.7% ABV, JAN0713 printed in yellow on neck.

A - Harvest moon pours a beautiful deep burnt orange color that highlights the tiny carbonation bubbles which stream from the glass' etching. A big cream colored head rises above the beer only to lower to a clumpy skim leaving little lace behind.

S - Upon twisting the cap off, Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin offers a nice inviting aroma of ample spiciness but, once poured into the pint, the aroma changes significantly. It's spiciness is muted and overshadowed by a prominent dusty, dirt-like smell which clouds the beer in general. The glorious orange gourd shows itself with nuances pulling through the mild malt base that lingers with caramel sweetness.

T - Malt accentuated, caramel and toast apply an overarching sweetness to the beer which helps it's lacking aroma build some steam, though rolls are reversed. In flavor, pumpkin disappears to the background, happy to let spiciness develop more but the sprinkle of the ground elements blend together without allowing any of the parts' characteristics to break away from the whole.

M - Smooth but slick on the tongue, the small carbonation bubbles contained within Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale gloss over the tongue and tickle in the throat. Medium bodied and sweet mid palate, this beer falls away cleanly with no real finish of spice, dropping off blandly.

O - Blue Moon nails it on the head with their Harvest Pumpkin Ale. As a gateway craft brewery, their beers appeal to those looking to expand beyond the light, fizzy swill into something with more flavor and presence. Pumpkin ales can be daunting at times as not everyone cares for the gourd, but Blue Moon succeeded in making an approachable fall seasonal which neither excels nor fails. Instead, this beer is completely content to revel in it's mediocrity.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Ok, I will say it, this is my favorite pumpkin beer for a few reasons. It seems to have a more balanced taste than a few others. The pumpkin and spices do not overwhelm the beer flavor and vice versa. Another factor is the price. $12.99 for a 12 pack is joy in a box. It tastes good and not over priced. I will buy more and stock pile to get my fix for the winter.

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a conical pint glass.

The beer is a crystal-clear ruby amber color. An off-white foamy head recedes to a chunky film, leaving spotted wet lacing on the glass.

The aroma is muted. Some cinnamon comes through, with general "allspice" notes as well.

The taste has a sweet beginning with a solid wheat-based body. Any pumpkin flavors are immediately lost on me. Faint spices come through, with allspice, nutmeg, and cloves coming to mind.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and very smooth, almost too syrupy though.

Overall, too much wheat, and little pumpkin for me. It's also too sweet. The spices are generic and this beer feels like it's brewed from a massive company. Oh ...

3.89/5  rDev +25.5%

This was my first try at a pumpkin beer. Amber Color lit pumpkin smell. Head was thick enough to float the cap. Finish with the taste of pumpkin spice. Nice finish with no bitter after taste. Just like a nice slice of pumpkin pie. Not to bad for a beer from the big breweries.

2.54/5  rDev -18.1%

Good head and head retention. The aroma was very bad and was slightly reminiscent of a dead fish. The flavor was okay, about average for a pumpkin ale. There was good balance in the beer with just the right amount of pumpkin spice flavor.

Overall not a bad pumpkin ale, but nothing special.

3.54/5  rDev +14.2%

[Poured into a generic beer glass]

I: I received a 6 pack of this Pumpkin Ale as a gift. Now I'll say it right now that I have never come across a beer in this style that impressed me. That said, I'm always hopeful and while BlueMoon is more like an Intro/start to the world of better beer I place no prior bias.

B: [5.7% ABV 12 FL. OZ. Bottle Date. Can't Make Out. I presume it's recent] Pretty good presentation. Back story, ingredients, inviting presentation, and nice bottle ridges along with subtle art. Labels are plentiful(3) and give more insight than your average beer. I like it, but it's nothing worth shelving and it's a twist off (eepp).

A: Amber/copper/dark orange transparent body with a scattered/bubbly head (slow dissipation), and little to no lacing.

S: Pumpkin/nutmeg spice upfront and a clean/grassy presence.

T: Orange wheat, nutmeg, pumpkin spice complimented by sweet bread/toasty malt, light hops (if any), caramel, and an earthy/floral presence.

M: Crisp/slick finish, light bodied (watery), med/high carbonation (intrusive), and apparent alcohol (light).

O: Well it was decent, the body hurts the flavor, and the carbonation can come off as intrusive at times. So while I still haven't found that wonderful pumpkin ale, I'm always happy to review and know about a brew. Though it's far from terrible I wouldn't recommend it or buy.

4.18/5  rDev +34.8%

As far as pumpkin beers go, this one is off the chain. Forget what the antiquated reviewers think; I can drink a six pack to the head by my lonesome, and not feel any raunchiness towards the makers. This beer is the shit!
I won't go into the Yuppy classifications : ASTMO...if you want pretentiousness check Google. I will keep it unadulteratingly real: this beer is good-quality pumpkin. Not the best, but drinkable, and worth the money spent. I have a bigger problem with the ass-clowns trying to act like like they know what "good beer" is. Fuk 'Em! and Fuk' Em good!

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler. Enjoyed at home.

A: Clear and rich burnt orange/deep rust color. There was a significant white-off-white head that quickly dissipated. Very much in keeping with the seasonal style.

S: A very spicy nose -- bold pumpkin aroma with a strong clove scent, with a tinge of sweet malt smell.

T: Strong spice flavor "on impact." The taste was more spicy and less "pumpkin-y" than the smell would have suggested. The tinge of sweetness is present throughout, until the spicy aftertaste from the clove.

M: Though it has a smooth feel, it seems to fall short by being too light. Carbonation was appropriate. In short, nothing outstanding in this area.

O: A good, if unremarkable, seasonal beer. Certainly a solid choice to serve at an autumn gathering, though drinkability suffers somewhat on account of the spicy aftertaste. It seems to lack some of the complexity in flavor that makes other seasonal brews so enjoyable, while the flavors that do emerge can tend to be overpowering, particularly in the aftertaste. I wouldn't refuse one of these beers if handed to me, but given a cooler full of options I might dig around in the ice for a while before grabbing one of these.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish copper color with a beige head that was about two fingers thick, no lacing.

Smell: I could smell just that fake pumpkin smell, like the pumpkin pie concentrate out of a can.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied. Taste like a freezer pre made pumpkin pie with some malts and hops added.

Overall: Not really impressed, this was simply just a "seasonal" flavor added to a Coors like all of the other Blue Moon beers, at least thats what I think. I really want to like the Blue Moon brews, I think they need to be more origanal with their brews and it might be better.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from a Blue Moon seasonal variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, dark copper color. Has a small, frothy head that dissipates quickly down to a small cap.

Smell: Smells strongly of pumpkin pie spices, caramel malts, and a hint of pumpkin. Not as strong a pumpkin smell as most pumpkin ales.

Taste: Starts mildly hoppy with a sweet, caramel maltiness. Finishes spicy and sweet with some light pumpkin flavors.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with a light body.

Overall: Definitely an average pumpkin ale. The pumpkin isn't quite as dominating in this beer as in most pumpkin ales, which is kind of a nice change. However, there just isn't really anything there to take its place. It's not bad, but it's nothing I'd seek out regularly.

3.89/5  rDev +25.5%

You know after drinking this a couple of time, I really enjoy this beer. As a matter of fact I buy this beer every year now. Its not something you have to think about its just a nice fall beer, not overly complex or confusing.

The initial smell is what you expect on an Autumn-fall day nice nosy spices. The mouthfeel is lacking but I understand this makes it far more consumable/drinkable. Its a touch over carbonated for my tongue, kinda sharp indeed but no so much that its annoying or harsh.

Nice fall beer

3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A – this beer looks much better than it tastes. Pours a deep orange, almost red. Very little head, recedes quickly.

S – I smell quite a bit of pumpkin, and it seems to be made up of genuine spice, not the chemical additives you find in a lot of flavored beers.

T – unfortunately, it doesn’t smell like it tastes. There’s some richness behind the sweet pumpkin taste, but it’s just not enough to give push it up in rank.

M – decent. The sweetness helps this beer down the gullet. But the initial feeling is one of overly carbonated light beer.

O – this beer is no exception to my distaste of pumpkin ales, but I always try to give newer ones a fair go. I’d really like it if the spice was almost overwhelming.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

12 ounce bottle, pours clear darker amber, under a very long lasting medium tan head. Leaves ample low strands of lace and sheeting.

Mild nose of mushy pumpkin pie spicing, and a slight off putting metallic nose.

Easy drinking, I will give it that. Moderate pumpkin pie notes, but basically dull and uninteresting in nature.

Buckeyenation got it right….”tastes like it was brewed by Coors”…and it was

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company