Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

Reviews: 726 | Ratings: 2,697

Pours out to a clear orange-copper, forming a tall rocky beige head with very good retention and good lacing. The head recedes into little clumps of flocculant colonies. The carbonation is moderate. The aroma is interesting...nutmeg and ginger and predominant with cinnamon tucked neatly away in there. It's not too overbearing and if it bothers you, the aroma is minimized by drinking it out of the bottle. Despite this, there is a solid backbone of amber and crystal malts balanced by a hop nose that can be appreciated by swirling. Interestingly, a subtle smoky note is also evident with swirling. Nice nuance for a Coors product. The mouthfeel is sharp with carbonation and spices but not offensive. Medium bodied. Taste begins with the dominant aforementioned spices, but is followed by a "macrobrew" syrupy twang of corn with some harsh higher alcohols and muddy, copper aftertaste. Bitterness is mild, and the mildly offensive aftertaste is of lingering spices and corn. The beer creates a sick feeling in the stomach and feels syrupy.

Ya know, this one started out nice...looking and smelling promising, but you just can't get away from the macro-corn taste. I'd stick to Buffalo Bill's, which is the best I've had from this style. Not very drinkable.
L=4.5, A=3.5, T=2.5, MF=3.5, D=2.0

Update 2007. Now called "Harvest Moon". Now it seems to taste much better. That macro twang is mostly gone, the mouthfeel is not ruddy, and there is a nice balance between the malts and the spice. Score updated to reflect my most recent tasting.

3.14/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Pour a carrot colored body with a good head and plenty of lacing

Smell: Slight pumpkin tone in the nose with a modest spice profile

Taste: The caramel malt comes through, bringing with it a hint of pumpkin; slight spices emerge mid-palate; finishes sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A bit too sugary for me; not much else going on compared to other pumpkins I have tasted; drinkable but undistinguished

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Between these pumpkin ales and the Oktoberfest contingent, this is a pretty strong time of year to be a beer drinker.
Blue Moon's offering pours a transluscent dark orange but features little head or lacing. The nose reveals a bit of fruit and spice but isn't overwhelming or special.
The taste is not too sweet and has hints of fruit and alcohol and an underlying roasted malt. Unfortunately, I thought it was a bit overcarbonated for an ale or my taste.
A bit of an underachiever, although I generally don't rate Blue Moon too highly anyway. I'd like to see more pumpkin flavor and sweet spice. Nothing doing. I definitely place it last among pumpkin beers I've tried. Go for Post Road instead.

3.92/5  rDev +26.5%

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale pours a lightly hazed dark amber from a 12oz dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Light tan head of fine foam went to just under two fingers before going down to a large full ring and a broken thin carpet of foam. Lively bubbles of carbonation and frothy lace, add to the overall good appearance.

Nose is a delicate pumpkin with side tones of malt and alcohol. Palate is pumpkin pie central with mace and nutmeg. Nice full sweet spiced pumpkin and malts move to and fro in a very pleasant rendition of “Pumpkin Ale” The hops bittering is right on the mark and does not interfere with the essence of the pumpkin in any way.

A nice fall ale of pumpkin flavor absolutely perfect for watching the Autumn leaves float down off of the trees and maybe even for raking the leaves as well.

1.97/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a tan-orange color with a very minimal fizzy head that dissipates immediatley. The nose reminds me of an ipa, but milder. I also sense some sort of roasted malts as well. The taste is also much fainter than I had expected. It tastes like a cheap, really boring ale. The only thing I notice that even reminds me of pumpkin is the spices that go along with pumpkin pie. And even those are stretched quite thin. The mouthfeel is too thin, it feels like a light beer, or even lighter. The drinkability is okay, I mean it goes down well. It just doesnt taste good, smell right, feel right, or live up to any of the expectations I had. I hope I wasn't expecting too much, but this beer did not impress me at all.

3.56/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance – pours light copper with a crisp white head sporting small bubbles. There is very little whole-head retention, but a ring of suds clings to the glass for the whole pint. No lacing to speak of.

Smell – A slight caramelly scent is taken over by a distinctly metallic smell.

Taste – This beer starts out tasting Belgian and some more traditionally ale-ish malt flavors arise midway through the sip. Any pumpkin tastes in here are subtle and understated, which I enjoy. Mild hops finish with slight bitterness. Balanced.

Mouthfeel – Very clean, which I suppose is to be expected from the Coors water.

Drinkability – This is an extraordinarily drinkable beer, especially for the style. I recommend this and I think in a blind tasting people would not know it’s a pumpkin beer.

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Drank this from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Appearance was nothing special, orange color with minimal white head.

Aroma only hinted of pumpkin pie spices, not very strong at all.

Flavor was not good at all for this type of beer. I could barely taste any nutmeg or cinnamon or anything I'd associate with the pumpkin ale variety.

My least favorite pumpkin beer to date.

3.47/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear orange colored beer without much head action.

Smell is on the sweet side with a fair scent of squash and cinnamon and ginger. Faint Belgian yeast scent.

Taste is mild spice and some squash with a little Belgian yeast flavor. Mostly this tastes like pumpkin bread crossed with pumpkin pie. You can taste the wheat malt that more or less forms the piecrust. Not bad but I like the regular Blue Moon better.

Mouthfeel is OK.

An OK seasonal beer. I wouldn't want to drink this all year but once or twice a year is OK.

2.26/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance: Poured a lively amber/orange color with a generous head and good retention. Hopeful ...

Smell: Reminiscent of a home "kit" brew - dull malty upfront, slight over-ripe pumpkin, and almost no hint of spice whatsoever.

Taste: Again, very "homebrewy" to me. Moderate hoppy attack yielding to a lingering malty aftertaste. Slightly discernable pumpkin character hidden within, but very washed out. Spicey cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg very slight - almost indetectable.

Mouthfeel: Typical. Fairly smooth, slightly acidic, but otherwise unremarkable. Clean finish.

Drinkability: What you see is not what you get. I was hopeful after seeing the pour of the bright amber and orange with the considerable fluffy head ... this beer is just plain unimpressive in almost all respects.

It's odd, I bought a six of this maybe 4-5 years ago, if I recall correctly, and I enjoyed it then. Either my palate has refined considerably, or the quality of this seasonal brew has diminished greatly. I don't know which? I sampled two bottles last night, and now I have four more that I don't know what to do with. I wouldn't waste my time with this macro pumpkin ale - NOT a good representation of the category in any way, shape, or form. A disappointment.

2.33/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: "muddy" light brown color. Foamy 1" head that quickly disipates.

Smell: has a yeasty odor to it

taste: The hops hit first. This beer has a spicy bite to it. The pumpkin taste does not stand out to me. I am slightly disappointed by this beer. Deffiantly the worst fruit beer I have tasted.

mouthfeel: as mentioned above, this beer has a bite to it that does not make this an easy beer to drink

Drinakbility: ditto

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a pint glass the head rose quickly to 1 1/2 fingers and dwindled just as fast to a lace that streaked the glass sparatically down. Very nice amber/orange hue, not hazy, but translucent in a way a good looking beer. The taste is sweet at first then grainy with a spicy hop finish, the problem for me was between the sweet and the hop bite there is a void where a full body beer would not have one. It is missing something but I do not know what. Very water feel was my biggest knock here. This one is not bad, I will probably not choose it again however.

After the crown is removed and the beer poured in to a nice clean nonick glass it appears a slightly hazy amber with a distinct orange tint, the head smallish and frothy, the lace scraggly and off white in color. Nose is spicy pumpkin and sweet malt, start is sweet with a fair to middling grain presence and the top light to moderate in feel. Finish has a decent acidity, the hops adequate, very dry aftertaste, just another ho-hum pumpkin beer.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

This is definately something that you'd only want once a year. Reason being that it's very spicy. It has a nice color when poured, (Amber--goes great with the changing leaves.)and a decent head that goes "bye-bye" after a bit. When I say "spicy", I mean that it remindes me of chewing a piece of CLOVE chewing gum, if you know what that is?! Yes, I feel that the cloves come through more than the pumpkin (Is there really pumpkin IN THERE?! Yeah, but ever-so-slightly) but that's not a bad thing. Like I said, it's a once-a-year treat that does go along with the harvest, and it's very smooth for having such a dominating clove and spice flavor. (Some cinnamon and nutmeg may be found if you search your palette carefully.) Good for Thanksgiving too, so I plan on saving a few for then. (Should go great w/ a turkey dinner and football!) Definately not a session beer, but again, it's very smooth, and has a fairly "light" mouthfeel, so one COULD down a few of these in a sitting without too much struggle.

I enjoy BMPA, and would recommend it to someone who would like something different, and that goes along with the season. Nice ABV (5.77%) keeps you warm on those cool, "Moonlit" October nights. And no reason to be "Blue" about this seasonal. It's worth a try. And as I always say, enjoy IT (whatEVER brew you're sampling) for what IT IS. I'm sure there are better pumpkin ales "out there", but for the price, availabilty, and drinkability, Blue Moon is the one to grab. Cheers and Happy Harvest Time!

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

Light/medium bodied, nice copper/amber color with a moderate off-white head.

Aroma is mild sweet malt, caramel, faint pumpkin and spices.

Taste is the same, starting with a slightly sweet malt, pumpkin, caramel combination with the spices kicking in more toward the finish. Aftertaste is pumpkin and strangely smoky. Spices are much more subdued than Buffalo Bill's with a bit more body, which makes for a mellower, and to me, a more enjoyable drink.

Fairly smooth and creamy. Beer for pumpkin pie lovers? Well, it could be worth a try.

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is amber with hues of orange. Its head is a one finger layer of white foam.
Its aroma is of pumpkin, hops and spice. More hops in the nose than I would have expected.
The flavor starts off hopy, then moves into spice and finishes with pumpkin. The pumpkin flavor seems a bit artificial.
Mouth feel is light bodied, but is a bit oily.

This is definitely not my favorite pumpkin brew.

2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

Had my rep order it special for me, I've had the DFH Punkin' Ale and hope this would be similar at a cheaper price.

Popped the cap to a big hiss, interesting.

A - Pours yellow, with a decent head that stays around longer than I was expecting, I was hoping for a draker color.

S - A scent of light malts with almost unnoticable spices and pumpkin.

T - Very weak, very dissapointing taste. I taste malts and not much else, this would probably be more enjoyed by a drinker with narrow tastes.

M - Slides right down, feels like soda pop in the mouth, with just as much alcohol.

D - Well, a mixed bag, it is a little higher from its weak character, but thats exactly what keeps me from drinking it.

I am very dissapointed in this beer. I wasn't expecting the best, but I was expecting better, if you are looking for a pumpkin ale, don't waste your time or money here.

The Blue Moon Pumkin Ale first caught my attention after i had already tasted the Belgian White Blue Moon. As my first seasonal beer I must say that I do infact like it.

The Beer has an amber color and feels moderately dense on the palate. The amber color of this beer is not opaque nor is it clear, instead it is somewhat cloudy in color. The beer appears to be alive, the carbonation in this beer is fairly high (almost as much as a coke). The seasonal pumkin ale has a smooth feel to it and easily goes down.

This beer has very little smell or aroma to it, it is hard to classify it's aroma as anything other than beer. Nothing special about the way it smells.

The taste of this beer is fairly unique. There is a uique spice flavor in this beer that just makes one happy that it is finally fall.

As to the drinkability of this beer, I would have to say that I would definitely have another. Overall, for the first seasonal beer I have ever had I am quite impressed.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

While I will be able to finish this beer, it is pretty much the bottom of the barrel *of the pumpkin ales I don't have to pour out*. It's drinkable but lacks a lot of flavor or depth of character. Pours a deep orangey amber and smells like a maltier version of their Belgian White. Spicy like the latter, with not much trace of pumpkin. Flavor has an odd, though not unpleasant estery thing going on, mild hop bitterness and some artificial-tasting spices. Where's the pumpkin? Where's the beef man? Mouthfeel lis lightly carbonated and crisp. If you told me this was Belgian White with dye added for a darker color, I'd probably believe it.

3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Was a little gunshy about this, because I didn't particularly care for Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, so we'll see how this goes.

appearance: Rich looking amber, heavy in the carbonation, with a head of dense white foam that manages to hang out for a respectible amount of time. Some lacing effects.

smell: Pumpkin is not as evident as you would expect. Instead the nose picks up light malt behind which are grassy undertones, clone and cinnamon. Smells clean, inviting. could be more assertive, but overall it's nice.

taste: The initial taste is akin almost to milk, and then malt takes over. The pumpkin is tasted mainly in the back of the swallow, with light spicy hops playing a support role. Aftertaste has notes of vegetable, iced tea flavors, but it's subtle.

mouthfeel: Sharp and dry.

drinkability: I'm plerasantly surprised. With a flavor like pumpkin les is more, otherwise you end up drinking something akin to liquid squash. Blue Moon did a good job here accenting the beer with pumpkin and spice but still allowing the malt and hops to take center stage. If you're looking for an autumnal seasonal you could do worse than this.

3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

I don't know why this has such poor reviews. It's not a bad beer. Poured out to a orange color with a decent head. Minimal lacing around the glass. Respectable head was about 1inch, and remained constant to the bottom of the glass. Aroma of pumpkin is well presented, along with some spice and cinnamon sweetness. Taste is consistant with the aromas, with pumpkin flavors being well combined with malt and a touch of hops, and notes of spice, grain and an overall nice toasted / smokey flavor permeating the palate. Quite enjoyable. Good mouthfeel was not over-carbonated or too flat. Well balanced. Higher level of drinkability, this beer could be a session brew for fall evenings when watching the sun set. Recommended.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Peaches seemed to dig the spices, and found this one do-able. Benjie was either uninterested, or intimidated by his sisters aggressive take on the brew.

2.94/5  rDev -5.2%

Best by Jan 29th 06, this bottle should be pretty fresh.

Pours nicely into the pint glass, perfect size head but the bubbles are a little lumpy. Orange color is nice but hints of yellow detract. Nice head retention, although at the end the head formed into chunks on the top... I don't think it's mold, but that's very weird.

Smells of cloves, spices (in a somewhat belgian way) and pumpkin, along with sweet malts. I wonder if they used the same yeast as in normal BM. This smells delicious, close to pumpkin pie.

Some good, some bad on the taste. Cloves and some pumpkin flavor dominate, which is how the pumpkin ale should be. I'm not sure this is a pumpkin "ale," more like a pumpkin amber lager. Too heavy on the spice and the sweetness but I'm glad they aren't afraid to go all out. Very little bit of hops on the finish; this tastes almost like an all-malt lager. A little bit of artificial chemical taste brings it down.

Mouthfeel is watery and overcarbonated, yucky finish.

I couldn't drink many more of these. Because it's pretty over the top, the sweetness and spicing gets a little sickening by the end. Nice as a single, though, to get you in the halloween mood.

1.77/5  rDev -42.9%

awful! from beginning to end this was not good. the color is very light for my taste (you could see through it!). the head was actually quite nice, very big frothy white, somewhat lacey.

smells very much like any pumpkin flavored beer should smell. spicey with a hint of pumpkin to it.

as soon as i tasted this i was disgusted. the spices were quite weak and you didn't get any hint of pumpkin until the finish. a very terrible aftertaste occured that i couldn't get out of my mouth without the help of water between almost every single sip.

if your idea of a good time is eating pumpking pie and drinking high life maybe you'll enjoy this...but i doubt it.

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

This pours an orange/copper in color with a small bubbly head. The smell is sweet and spiced. The taste is great, very clean. It is malty and tastes like pumpkin pie. I am tasting some clove and nutmeg in there. This is totally different than the regular blue moon belgian white and its not too bad. It is a nice autumn tasting brew. The mouthfeel is moderate and creamy, simple.

3.62/5  rDev +16.8%

In spite of beeing brewed by Coors, this is actually a decent pumpkin ale. Deep cinnamon brown in color sporting a decent head of khaki that retains for a while before settling into a veil, leaving scant trails of lace.

Aroma is carmelized malts, cooked pumkin, pie spices, vanilla, and a nice touch of floral hops.

Flavor starts off w/ chewy dark malt flavors, lightly sweet with notions of sweet spice, biscuits, and pumpkin, then leads to a well spiced finish with a begger hop presence than most pumpkin ales. More of a brown ale with pumpkin pie nuances. I like the hops in here, makes it more drinkable.

Body a tad lacking at just under medium. Mouthfeel light and somewhat pillowy, still easy to drink. Aftertaste sweet and spicey.

3.26/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pumpkiny orange color, small head, pretty good lacing. Mostly smells malty, with maybe a hint of spice. Just a hint. The taste has more character, with some pumpkin to complement the malt and spices. Actually tastes pretty good, considering, you know, that it's a) a pumpkin ale, and b) made by Coors. A perfectly suitable session beer with a hint of character, but nothing more.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company