Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

3.1

Reviews: 733 | Ratings: 2,723
2.96/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a surprising bright orange clear with nice carbonation and a light quickly dissapating head. Definate clean cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg and clove scents. Bright taste of bread yeast and wheat with cinnamon and pumpkin aftertastes. Slight warmth of alcohol (pleasing) in back of thoat as you swallow.
A nice holiday specialty beer....not as complex and interesting as some of the other pumpkin beers but interesting to try one.

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle pours a clear orange color with a nice creamy off white head that leaves minimal lacing in my glass. Aroma of pumpkin pie spices, a bit sweeter than I expected. Cinnamon, allspice and regular pumpkin pie flavors, medium bodied with a slightly watery mouthfeel, finishes spicy, not bad.

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz bottle, best before -January 29 ’06 printed on the neck. Cloudy amber with a fluffy orangish head.
Aroma is malty, sweet, a little nutmeg, very light on the pumpkin.
Flavor is much the same. A little sweet with a little nutmeg spice and even less pumpkin.
Glad I only bought one.

2.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Mostly clear orange/amber colour topped by off-white foam. Slight chill haze problem. The head reduces quickly to a ring and fine lacing. Sweet aroma with strong, but unbalanced, spices (mostly nutmeg I think...). The flavour follows suit, but seems washed out and thin. Spices linger in the finish, along with slight bitterness. The body starts out light, then the bottom drops out and it becomes quite watery at the finish. Moderate carbonation and off-dry. The thin flavour and body really hurt this beer and throw the balance off.

3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

This ale had a bright orange color and good carbonation. I could taste the pumpkin but not much else in terms of spices, which are usually found in pumpkin ales. The flavor was reminiscent of canned pumpkin pie filling. I thought this was a good tasting brew.

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%

This pumpkin ale pours a nice copper color. The head was very nice and foamy, staying for some time. Unfortunately, the smell was not of pumpkin or any other spice which I could recognize. The taste was sadly bland. Certainly a pumpkin ale which could be skipped.

3.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is the third pumpkin ale that I have had this fall.

Pours Orange yellow clear with a medium Ivory head.

Smell is slightly malty Pumpkin, spice and faint malt

Taste is sweet, spicy and mellow pumpkin, sweeter than the other pumpkin ales I have had recently. I guess I like that better.

Mouthfeel is average, seems like it should be thicker, but maybe I am looking for its similarity to its cousin the pumpkin pie.

Drinkability - I like pumpkin ales, but really don't go out of my way to drink them except close to Halloween and Thanksgiving in the fall.
This is OK, I liked it better than the more dry pumpkin I recently tasted.

Pours out to a clear orange-copper, forming a tall rocky beige head with very good retention and good lacing. The head recedes into little clumps of flocculant colonies. The carbonation is moderate. The aroma is interesting...nutmeg and ginger and predominant with cinnamon tucked neatly away in there. It's not too overbearing and if it bothers you, the aroma is minimized by drinking it out of the bottle. Despite this, there is a solid backbone of amber and crystal malts balanced by a hop nose that can be appreciated by swirling. Interestingly, a subtle smoky note is also evident with swirling. Nice nuance for a Coors product. The mouthfeel is sharp with carbonation and spices but not offensive. Medium bodied. Taste begins with the dominant aforementioned spices, but is followed by a "macrobrew" syrupy twang of corn with some harsh higher alcohols and muddy, copper aftertaste. Bitterness is mild, and the mildly offensive aftertaste is of lingering spices and corn. The beer creates a sick feeling in the stomach and feels syrupy.

Ya know, this one started out nice...looking and smelling promising, but you just can't get away from the macro-corn taste. I'd stick to Buffalo Bill's, which is the best I've had from this style. Not very drinkable.
L=4.5, A=3.5, T=2.5, MF=3.5, D=2.0

Update 2007. Now called "Harvest Moon". Now it seems to taste much better. That macro twang is mostly gone, the mouthfeel is not ruddy, and there is a nice balance between the malts and the spice. Score updated to reflect my most recent tasting.

3.14/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Pour a carrot colored body with a good head and plenty of lacing

Smell: Slight pumpkin tone in the nose with a modest spice profile

Taste: The caramel malt comes through, bringing with it a hint of pumpkin; slight spices emerge mid-palate; finishes sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A bit too sugary for me; not much else going on compared to other pumpkins I have tasted; drinkable but undistinguished

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Between these pumpkin ales and the Oktoberfest contingent, this is a pretty strong time of year to be a beer drinker.
Blue Moon's offering pours a transluscent dark orange but features little head or lacing. The nose reveals a bit of fruit and spice but isn't overwhelming or special.
The taste is not too sweet and has hints of fruit and alcohol and an underlying roasted malt. Unfortunately, I thought it was a bit overcarbonated for an ale or my taste.
A bit of an underachiever, although I generally don't rate Blue Moon too highly anyway. I'd like to see more pumpkin flavor and sweet spice. Nothing doing. I definitely place it last among pumpkin beers I've tried. Go for Post Road instead.

3.92/5  rDev +26.5%

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale pours a lightly hazed dark amber from a 12oz dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Light tan head of fine foam went to just under two fingers before going down to a large full ring and a broken thin carpet of foam. Lively bubbles of carbonation and frothy lace, add to the overall good appearance.

Nose is a delicate pumpkin with side tones of malt and alcohol. Palate is pumpkin pie central with mace and nutmeg. Nice full sweet spiced pumpkin and malts move to and fro in a very pleasant rendition of “Pumpkin Ale” The hops bittering is right on the mark and does not interfere with the essence of the pumpkin in any way.

A nice fall ale of pumpkin flavor absolutely perfect for watching the Autumn leaves float down off of the trees and maybe even for raking the leaves as well.

1.97/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a tan-orange color with a very minimal fizzy head that dissipates immediatley. The nose reminds me of an ipa, but milder. I also sense some sort of roasted malts as well. The taste is also much fainter than I had expected. It tastes like a cheap, really boring ale. The only thing I notice that even reminds me of pumpkin is the spices that go along with pumpkin pie. And even those are stretched quite thin. The mouthfeel is too thin, it feels like a light beer, or even lighter. The drinkability is okay, I mean it goes down well. It just doesnt taste good, smell right, feel right, or live up to any of the expectations I had. I hope I wasn't expecting too much, but this beer did not impress me at all.

3.56/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance – pours light copper with a crisp white head sporting small bubbles. There is very little whole-head retention, but a ring of suds clings to the glass for the whole pint. No lacing to speak of.

Smell – A slight caramelly scent is taken over by a distinctly metallic smell.

Taste – This beer starts out tasting Belgian and some more traditionally ale-ish malt flavors arise midway through the sip. Any pumpkin tastes in here are subtle and understated, which I enjoy. Mild hops finish with slight bitterness. Balanced.

Mouthfeel – Very clean, which I suppose is to be expected from the Coors water.

Drinkability – This is an extraordinarily drinkable beer, especially for the style. I recommend this and I think in a blind tasting people would not know it’s a pumpkin beer.

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Drank this from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Appearance was nothing special, orange color with minimal white head.

Aroma only hinted of pumpkin pie spices, not very strong at all.

Flavor was not good at all for this type of beer. I could barely taste any nutmeg or cinnamon or anything I'd associate with the pumpkin ale variety.

My least favorite pumpkin beer to date.

3.47/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear orange colored beer without much head action.

Smell is on the sweet side with a fair scent of squash and cinnamon and ginger. Faint Belgian yeast scent.

Taste is mild spice and some squash with a little Belgian yeast flavor. Mostly this tastes like pumpkin bread crossed with pumpkin pie. You can taste the wheat malt that more or less forms the piecrust. Not bad but I like the regular Blue Moon better.

Mouthfeel is OK.

An OK seasonal beer. I wouldn't want to drink this all year but once or twice a year is OK.

2.26/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance: Poured a lively amber/orange color with a generous head and good retention. Hopeful ...

Smell: Reminiscent of a home "kit" brew - dull malty upfront, slight over-ripe pumpkin, and almost no hint of spice whatsoever.

Taste: Again, very "homebrewy" to me. Moderate hoppy attack yielding to a lingering malty aftertaste. Slightly discernable pumpkin character hidden within, but very washed out. Spicey cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg very slight - almost indetectable.

Mouthfeel: Typical. Fairly smooth, slightly acidic, but otherwise unremarkable. Clean finish.

Drinkability: What you see is not what you get. I was hopeful after seeing the pour of the bright amber and orange with the considerable fluffy head ... this beer is just plain unimpressive in almost all respects.

It's odd, I bought a six of this maybe 4-5 years ago, if I recall correctly, and I enjoyed it then. Either my palate has refined considerably, or the quality of this seasonal brew has diminished greatly. I don't know which? I sampled two bottles last night, and now I have four more that I don't know what to do with. I wouldn't waste my time with this macro pumpkin ale - NOT a good representation of the category in any way, shape, or form. A disappointment.

2.33/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: "muddy" light brown color. Foamy 1" head that quickly disipates.

Smell: has a yeasty odor to it

taste: The hops hit first. This beer has a spicy bite to it. The pumpkin taste does not stand out to me. I am slightly disappointed by this beer. Deffiantly the worst fruit beer I have tasted.

mouthfeel: as mentioned above, this beer has a bite to it that does not make this an easy beer to drink

Drinakbility: ditto

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a pint glass the head rose quickly to 1 1/2 fingers and dwindled just as fast to a lace that streaked the glass sparatically down. Very nice amber/orange hue, not hazy, but translucent in a way a good looking beer. The taste is sweet at first then grainy with a spicy hop finish, the problem for me was between the sweet and the hop bite there is a void where a full body beer would not have one. It is missing something but I do not know what. Very water feel was my biggest knock here. This one is not bad, I will probably not choose it again however.

After the crown is removed and the beer poured in to a nice clean nonick glass it appears a slightly hazy amber with a distinct orange tint, the head smallish and frothy, the lace scraggly and off white in color. Nose is spicy pumpkin and sweet malt, start is sweet with a fair to middling grain presence and the top light to moderate in feel. Finish has a decent acidity, the hops adequate, very dry aftertaste, just another ho-hum pumpkin beer.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

This is definately something that you'd only want once a year. Reason being that it's very spicy. It has a nice color when poured, (Amber--goes great with the changing leaves.)and a decent head that goes "bye-bye" after a bit. When I say "spicy", I mean that it remindes me of chewing a piece of CLOVE chewing gum, if you know what that is?! Yes, I feel that the cloves come through more than the pumpkin (Is there really pumpkin IN THERE?! Yeah, but ever-so-slightly) but that's not a bad thing. Like I said, it's a once-a-year treat that does go along with the harvest, and it's very smooth for having such a dominating clove and spice flavor. (Some cinnamon and nutmeg may be found if you search your palette carefully.) Good for Thanksgiving too, so I plan on saving a few for then. (Should go great w/ a turkey dinner and football!) Definately not a session beer, but again, it's very smooth, and has a fairly "light" mouthfeel, so one COULD down a few of these in a sitting without too much struggle.

I enjoy BMPA, and would recommend it to someone who would like something different, and that goes along with the season. Nice ABV (5.77%) keeps you warm on those cool, "Moonlit" October nights. And no reason to be "Blue" about this seasonal. It's worth a try. And as I always say, enjoy IT (whatEVER brew you're sampling) for what IT IS. I'm sure there are better pumpkin ales "out there", but for the price, availabilty, and drinkability, Blue Moon is the one to grab. Cheers and Happy Harvest Time!

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

Light/medium bodied, nice copper/amber color with a moderate off-white head.

Aroma is mild sweet malt, caramel, faint pumpkin and spices.

Taste is the same, starting with a slightly sweet malt, pumpkin, caramel combination with the spices kicking in more toward the finish. Aftertaste is pumpkin and strangely smoky. Spices are much more subdued than Buffalo Bill's with a bit more body, which makes for a mellower, and to me, a more enjoyable drink.

Fairly smooth and creamy. Beer for pumpkin pie lovers? Well, it could be worth a try.

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is amber with hues of orange. Its head is a one finger layer of white foam.
Its aroma is of pumpkin, hops and spice. More hops in the nose than I would have expected.
The flavor starts off hopy, then moves into spice and finishes with pumpkin. The pumpkin flavor seems a bit artificial.
Mouth feel is light bodied, but is a bit oily.

This is definitely not my favorite pumpkin brew.

2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

Had my rep order it special for me, I've had the DFH Punkin' Ale and hope this would be similar at a cheaper price.

Popped the cap to a big hiss, interesting.

A - Pours yellow, with a decent head that stays around longer than I was expecting, I was hoping for a draker color.

S - A scent of light malts with almost unnoticable spices and pumpkin.

T - Very weak, very dissapointing taste. I taste malts and not much else, this would probably be more enjoyed by a drinker with narrow tastes.

M - Slides right down, feels like soda pop in the mouth, with just as much alcohol.

D - Well, a mixed bag, it is a little higher from its weak character, but thats exactly what keeps me from drinking it.

I am very dissapointed in this beer. I wasn't expecting the best, but I was expecting better, if you are looking for a pumpkin ale, don't waste your time or money here.

The Blue Moon Pumkin Ale first caught my attention after i had already tasted the Belgian White Blue Moon. As my first seasonal beer I must say that I do infact like it.

The Beer has an amber color and feels moderately dense on the palate. The amber color of this beer is not opaque nor is it clear, instead it is somewhat cloudy in color. The beer appears to be alive, the carbonation in this beer is fairly high (almost as much as a coke). The seasonal pumkin ale has a smooth feel to it and easily goes down.

This beer has very little smell or aroma to it, it is hard to classify it's aroma as anything other than beer. Nothing special about the way it smells.

The taste of this beer is fairly unique. There is a uique spice flavor in this beer that just makes one happy that it is finally fall.

As to the drinkability of this beer, I would have to say that I would definitely have another. Overall, for the first seasonal beer I have ever had I am quite impressed.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

While I will be able to finish this beer, it is pretty much the bottom of the barrel *of the pumpkin ales I don't have to pour out*. It's drinkable but lacks a lot of flavor or depth of character. Pours a deep orangey amber and smells like a maltier version of their Belgian White. Spicy like the latter, with not much trace of pumpkin. Flavor has an odd, though not unpleasant estery thing going on, mild hop bitterness and some artificial-tasting spices. Where's the pumpkin? Where's the beef man? Mouthfeel lis lightly carbonated and crisp. If you told me this was Belgian White with dye added for a darker color, I'd probably believe it.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company