Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
coors.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This amber ale is crafted with ginger and molasses to capture the familiar taste of gingerbread on a cold winter night. Created in collaboration with our fans, Gingerbread Spiced Ale combines ginger, molasses, and winter spices for a slight caramel sweetness.

Added by Darkmagus82 on 10-28-2013

Liked:
3.29/5
Alströms:

Reviews by JackMcAwesome:
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My wife picked this up because she couldn't remember me having it. (Living the good life I am!)

Look: Pretty decent looking brew. The label is a typical majestic Blue Moon label, "Limited Release" stamped on the top. Which always makes me sad. It pours a dark golden brown, with a one finger head that has since dissipated to a thin ring. Lacing is minimal, which is a shame, because lacing always reminds me of winter. And I think it'd be great to have a lot on this one.

Smell: Ginger right off the bat. A whole lot of ginger. As it warmed up, the cinnamon decided to show up, which just brings about memories of Christmas, and all that fun stuff. Maybe because I've had a ton of pumpkin beers here of late, but I feel like there is some nutmeg there too. The aroma died off about midway through, and that bums me out.

Taste: The tongue is definitely picking up the nutmeg. The ginger is the most prevalent and it finishes with the cinnamon. I was curious about the hops the use, so I had to look it up. They use Hallertau which I admittingly know nothing about, so a new experience there.

Feel: Medium. The carbonation is there, but it is pretty well balanced with a syrup like texture. No trace of alcohol that I can tell.

Overall: Not a bad brew at all. I like to visit Blue Moon and Sam Adams from time to time to acknowledge my roots. And again, I had my wife looking out for me, and this was a very welcome beer. I wish it got cold here so I could really feel at home, but this gets me close. Maybe it's the label, maybe it's the ginger and cinnamon, but there is definitely a bit of nostalgia with this one. I'd grab a six if it were offered. Improvements could be amping up the lacing, and the aroma not falling off.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a copper/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fresh gingerbread cookies. Taste is as advertised, ginger, molasses, some spices. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an interesting and decent beer.

I'll most likely update this review again later since I want to take notes while experiencing it, but this beer really clicked for me. It was perfectly balanced in pretty much every way. The flavor was Gingerbread Spice just as the name labeled it. I hate when beers say they taste like something and end up not doing so. This was overall a phenomenal beer.

3.86/5  rDev +17.3%

A liquor store near the block got a massive amount of this stuff for Christmas and now it's expired and they're selling it for $5.35 a case. Needless to say myself and a number of friends have been getting horrifically wasted on the regular.

Had it from the bottle from the 12 pack of which there have been many. Don't think I've had less than nine bottles in a sitting, except for hairs of the dog.

Appearance: No idea what the beer itself looks like. Never poured it anywhere but down my throat. The bottle's cool though.

Smell: Smells good. Not particularly interesting but definitely captures the wintery spice vibe.

Taste: It tastes. decent. I might be biased because these bottles are almost a year old but hey. It's pleasant at first but starts to grate on you. A lot of thick sweetness in the taste, doesn't taste too much like beer at all honestly. Hints of ginger, but in a rather subdued way. You like it, you hate it, eventually you learn to live with it.

Mouthfeel: This is the scary part. It feels like molasses. You can feel the molasses in your veins. It's somehow psychoactive. You start to feel like you *are* molasses. It's utterly horrifying. The carbonation's alright. You can slam a bottle back in 12 seconds if you want to. You don't want to.

Overall: 22 cents for a fucking 5.9% beer? I'ma get fucking trashed before the sun's over the yardarm. 10/10.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light brown in color with excellent clarity. There's a fingernail of light beige head sporadically found on the top. I smell caramel and ginger. When I taste it I detect dull notes of ginger and caramel, with the ginger notes picking up considerably at the back of the palate. The body is moderately carbonated and the ginger tingles the taste buds.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from bottle. Slightly off color than what I expected. It smelled like gingerbread with hints of cinnamon. It smells like what the label is promising. Although it smelled good, it was overly sweet and unbalanced. Sweet upfront and a little metallic on the back end. A little lighter than what I expected from an amber. I normally like spiced beers, but this didn't do it for me. Just average.

2.76/5  rDev -16.1%

3.09/5  rDev -6.1%

2.94/5  rDev -10.6%

2.49/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

3.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +15.2%

3.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a light brown color and it has a small off white head. The aroma is full of sweet spices. The flavor is sweet with some gingerbread taste. Not a horrible winter offering.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

2.46/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale from Coors Brewing Company