Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

3.4

Reviews: 1,626 | Ratings: 6,774
Reviews by Treyliff:
3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

This is one of my favorite widely available beers on tap. I usually squeeze the juice from the orange and them drop it in the glass.

A- Cloudy golden yellow, decent head that fades rather quickly.

S- Coriander, orange peels, citrus, wheat

T- Great combination of the wheat and orange flavor, tends to have more orange flavor, rather than lemon flavor like similar beers. Sweet on the back-end.

M- Very smooth, just enough consistency.

D- I could easily have a few of these in one sitting. Very refreshing and doesn't fill you up too quick.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ah, Blue Moon Belgian White. The bridge to craft beer for many, myself included, that people love to hate. I wonder, if this exact same product was put out by Hill Farmstead or Russian River, would it have higher scores? I could care less that this is a mass-produced Coors product. It succeeds, as far as I'm concerned, as a mass-market witbier.

Pours an inviting cloudy orange, smell is very mild -- yeasty, wheaty, and citric. The taste is milky, smooth, orange-dominant, very mild and easy-drinking. Clean aftertaste. Creamy mouth-feel. Pretty clearly not at the level of Hoegaarden, Allagash, or St. Bernardus, but better than a lot of small-batch American wits I've tried.

A solid choice when your options are limited. On tap practically everywhere and better than any American adjunct lager.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You know how weed is a gateway drug? Well this is my gateway beer! Before this beer, my only exposure to beer was stuff like Bud and PBR. I thought beer was piss water. Then I had a Blue Moon, which I still enjoy to this day. Way better than a shock top, very refreshing and tastes like orange juice. This beer made we want to explore the world of craft beer that I indulge in today, so thank you Blue Moon and Coors Brewing. I may not consider you a "great beer" now, but you served your purpose as my "gateway beer!"

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Puny withering head. Cloudy amber color. Aroma is of a rotten grain field. Flavour is bitter but not pleasantly so. Stale wheat thins and urine. Smooth and almost refreshing mouthfeel is murdered by unpleasant taste. Not a fan of wheats but I can appreciate one if its good but this is not. Would rather drink natty lite. Save your money and buy something better.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle. A few years ago, this brand caused a bit of fuss up here in Canada, due to its recipe being used by MolsonCoors in the production of the Canadian version of their offering, Rickard's White - not that anyone was made aware of it at the time, of course. And I see now, from the suggestion on the Yankee label, where the stupid insistence on serving Rickard's White with a slice of orange originated.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden amber colour, with two flabby fingers of puffy, finely foamy, and yet soapy off-white head, which melts away in barely more than an instant, leaving only the faintest specks of microbial lace around the glass.

It smells of musty orange citrus rind, some mild coriander and clove spiciness, lazy-ass yeast, and a wan, semi-sweet wheaty graininess. The taste is somewhat edgy wheat and indistinct pale grain, a nice soft orange and overripe lemon citrus thing, clammy yeast, a twinge of wet white pepper dust, and some isolated and egregiously hovering coriander 'flavouring'.

The carbonation is a bit below average, what with its underwhelming frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and smooth, sure, with only a wee overall clamminess. It finishes off-dry, that oh so sweet wheat pushing the milder fruit and spice essences aside like the craven hired hands that they are.

Overall, a decent, if mostly uninspired witbier apery, which I suppose is the trade-off for mass distribution vs quality (at least within those United States, anyways). One could do much worse in their ill-informed BMC wanderings, but that's still no fucking excuse.

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Even coming from a macro brew, Blue Moon is definitely a decent beer. Most bars usually have it on tap and for its mass production, it's not bad at all. Easy gateway into craft beers for some people. Easy to drink, enough citrus taste, and an overall crisp finish.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

473 mL can from the LCBO served slightly chilled; labelled as "Belgian Moon" for the Canadian market. The existence of 'Rickard's White' in Canada (which has always been, quite literally, nothing more than re-labelled Blue Moon) has previously presented a large disincentive for Molson-Coors to bother launching the Blue Moon label on this side of the border. But I suppose M-C has got to find some way to compete with all of that fruity Shock Top crap that has been diffusing into Canada over the past year, and this is merely the first step.

Pours foggy golden-yellow, with a full inch of frothy, bone white-coloured head floating atop. It dissipates continuously over the next couple of minutes, eventually leaving behind a wide, foamy collar accompanied by minimal lace. Cereal grains and wheaty sweetness on the nose, with notes of zesty orange peel and spicy coriander. Kind of a weird sweaty armpit vibe, too.

Not too appealing. More cereal grain and gritty wheat flavour; the adjuncts help cover things up, but you can tell the base beer is mediocre and cheap. Orange peel and lemon zest make up the latter half of the sip, with subtle coriander spice and muddled flavours of yeast and apricot finishing things up. Light-medium body, with moderate carbonation levels - lower than I was expecting, but still enough to produce a relatively crisp mouthfeel. Refreshing when cold, I suppose, but if that's all I'm seeking then I'd rather save myself some money and just buy a regular pale lager.

Final Grade: 2.88, a forgettable C grade. Nope. No thanks. I realize that Blue Moon as a brand has done some good work as a gateway craft beer, but the beer itself doesn't do much for me at all. Unless they opt to retire the old Rickard's White brand, I have no reason to believe that Belgian Moon's presence in Canada is anything more than a half-assed attempt by Molson-Coors to gobble up some shelf space so that the competition can't have it. At best, it's a tolerable corporate witbier; one that Canadians who are familiar with the Rickard's portfolio can handily skip.

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer taste great. Tastes amazing, smooth feel going down and a nice sweet aftertaste. Coors Co. did well with this one. Some wouldn't call it a "true" craft beer but it hits the spot for me, considering I don't have too many options on real craft beers.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Belgian White from Molson Coors compagny.

Look: Cloudy, gold and orange color. Finger of white head that disappear quite quickly.

Smell, Citrus, malt, corn?

Taste: Citrus, orange, malt, coriander, goes down really easily

Feel: Very refreshing for a 5,4% but you taste the adjunct at the end, but after a minute you taste back the citrus notes.

So overall would I recomend it ? For sure, this is my go to beer. I would pick this over bud or coors.

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

I know this beer is quite popular, but this was the first time I had ever tried it.
12 ounce bottle poured into a 16 ounce beer glass. The beer pours with very little head. It is a foggy golden yellow color. The visual appearance is of this beer is pretty nice overall. The smell of this beer is too mild in my opinion. I detect sweet fruity citrus aromas more than anything. There is an extremely faint hops aroma. I typically do not enjoy beers that smell this fruity. Though I will say this beer does have it's own distinct smell to it. The beer tastes alright. The flavors I taste are quite mild for this style of beer. I tastes of sweet citrus, hops, and malt. But the taste is overly fruity. There is also a fruity aftertaste that I'm not fond of. The feel of this beer is nice. It has a light, smooth, foamy feel to it.

Overall, I don't see why this beer is as popular as at is. It has an overly fruity taste to it. If your are looking for a witbier, then you can do a lot better than Blue Moon without spending a whole lot more money. I would not recommend this beer, unless you enjoy extremely fruity smelling and tasting beers.

Cheers

4.78/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Very refreshing on a nice sunny day

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

My winter beer I often drink when snowboarding. Tastes pretty good with a slice of orange.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know that craft beer aficionados are supposed to look down their notes at "corporate" beers, but Blue Moon really is pretty decent. I challenge any Wit-lover to taste-test Blue Moon against three or four other bottled Wits and tell me it's not right up there. Yes, some Wits on tap, brewed on-site, can be fresher and zestier, but how many of us live within easy distance of those fine establishments. For those of us who have to spend most of their time actually at work rather than chasing down the latest seasonal, a glass of Blue Moon from the fridge is not a bad deal. Good color in the glass, decent aroma, very drinkable. Thank you Coors for making a good Wit accessible to the common man.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this beer. It's Orange Soda Beer. I drink it all the time.

However, it helped me learn about other Witbiers', so it's served its purpose.

Coors makes this, their beer is atrocious, but they have a diamond here in a sea of garbage.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Hazy Light orange. Thin white head with a small ring of foam left. Visible carbonation.
S: Orange, lemongrass, a little mustiness, a hint of spice, and yeast.
T: Orange with a hint of dry spice. Wheat malt base doesn't come through as overly strong. Yeasty. Tastes like watered down orange juice.
M: Spicyness on the palate. Creamy texture. Fruity aftertaste.
O: Refreshing, but the taste is different than most beers. I'm not much into wheats, so it's not my favorite.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Light but cloudy orange body with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - The yeast is there, but it's almost overwhelmed by the huge spicy sweet aromas of strong coriander, white pepper, and some citrusy fruits. I can also pick out a lemon peel (not the pulp) and fresh cilantro.

Taste - Surprisingly light. The traditional yeast body and sweet finish are overwhelmed again by the afore-mentioned spiciness. They missed the style, IMO.

Mouthfeel - There's some good carbonation in there, but it's not crisp enough to impress.

Drinkability - Not drinkable at all. I was highly disappointed in this offering from Coors.

Update - It's been seven years since my initial review so thought I'd give this one another go as a few people in the office have been talking about it. The coriander really does overkill everything else at the nose and although I wouldn't say that it overwhelmed the taste it certainly is the dominant flavor. The carbs are there but it's overly flat but I was able to get most of it down this time so bumped the rating a bit.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company