Blue Moon Belgian White
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White
Score:
Ranked #47,396
3.43 | pDev: 18.37%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States

Nov 08, 2014
jmv0009 from Alabama

3.23/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You know how weed is a gateway drug? Well this is my gateway beer! Before this beer, my only exposure to beer was stuff like Bud and PBR. I thought beer was piss water. Then I had a Blue Moon, which I still enjoy to this day. Way better than a shock top, very refreshing and tastes like orange juice. This beer made we want to explore the world of craft beer that I indulge in today, so thank you Blue Moon and Coors Brewing. I may not consider you a "great beer" now, but you served your purpose as my "gateway beer!"

Mar 16, 2016
illpass78 from Maine

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

Aug 03, 2014
CJNAPS from California

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again.

Jan 28, 2015
Richwright22 from California

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know that craft beer aficionados are supposed to look down their notes at "corporate" beers, but Blue Moon really is pretty decent. I challenge any Wit-lover to taste-test Blue Moon against three or four other bottled Wits and tell me it's not right up there. Yes, some Wits on tap, brewed on-site, can be fresher and zestier, but how many of us live within easy distance of those fine establishments. For those of us who have to spend most of their time actually at work rather than chasing down the latest seasonal, a glass of Blue Moon from the fridge is not a bad deal. Good color in the glass, decent aroma, very drinkable. Thank you Coors for making a good Wit accessible to the common man.

Jul 17, 2016
Naz-Barman from Pennsylvania

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

May 03, 2015
mkh012 from Colorado

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ah, Blue Moon Belgian White. The bridge to craft beer for many, myself included, that people love to hate. I wonder, if this exact same product was put out by Hill Farmstead or Russian River, would it have higher scores? I could care less that this is a mass-produced Coors product. It succeeds, as far as I'm concerned, as a mass-market wheat beer.

Pours an inviting cloudy orange. The smell is very mild -- yeasty, wheaty, and citric. The taste is milky, smooth, orange-dominant, and easy-drinking. Clean aftertaste with a creamy mouthfeel. Pretty clearly not at the level of Hoegaarden, Allagash, or St. Bernardus, but better than a lot of small-batch American wits I've tried.

A solid choice when your options are limited. On tap practically everywhere and better than most American adjunct lagers.

Jan 29, 2016
ALHOPLOVER from Alabama

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is how it all started. Had my first one on tap at Perdido Resort in Orange Beach AL, poolside bar, in a plastic cup, with an orange slice. It was our anniversary getaway; live music playing in the background, ocean view on the horizon. It was a great experience. First time I had ever noticed a nice aroma coming from a beer. It was always Miller or Yuengling before this; that's all I knew. But this beer actually had some flavor, and I love the smell of coriander... Great memories.

I have since then found my happy place to be a full flavored DIPA such as Lagunitas Waldo, or a Stone Enjoy By, but I have to give props to the beer that pulled me out of the mainstream and into the craft scene. It was the Blue Moon.

Jun 11, 2017
DWeavie from California

4.19/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer taste great. Tastes amazing, smooth feel going down and a nice sweet aftertaste. Coors Co. did well with this one. Some wouldn't call it a "true" craft beer but it hits the spot for me, considering I don't have too many options on real craft beers.

May 22, 2016
Keg-Stand-Kenny from California

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%

I know this beer is quite popular, but this was the first time I had ever tried it.
12 ounce bottle poured into a 16 ounce beer glass. The beer pours with very little head. It is a foggy golden yellow color. The visual appearance is of this beer is pretty nice overall. The smell of this beer is too mild in my opinion. I detect sweet fruity citrus aromas more than anything. There is an extremely faint hops aroma. I typically do not enjoy beers that smell this fruity. Though I will say this beer does have it's own distinct smell to it. The beer tastes alright. The flavors I taste are quite mild for this style of beer. I tastes of sweet citrus, hops, and malt. But the taste is overly fruity. There is also a fruity aftertaste that I'm not fond of. The feel of this beer is nice. It has a light, smooth, foamy feel to it.

Overall, I don't see why this beer is as popular as at is. It has an overly fruity taste to it. If your are looking for a witbier, then you can do a lot better than Blue Moon without spending a whole lot more money. I would not recommend this beer, unless you enjoy extremely fruity smelling and tasting beers.

Cheers

Jun 25, 2016
CS1971 from North Carolina

Blue Moon was the beer that introduced me to "alternative beers" (I won't use the word craft since it is a Coors beer :-). I have to be honest, I LOVE this beer. I love the crispness of witbier, and the orange flavor is wonderful. For a while this was all I drank, but then had to mix some things up with red beers, lagers and other whites. I am not a huge fan of Coors american adjunct, but I think they hit the nail on the head with Blue Moon!

Jul 23, 2011
thehyperduck from Canada

2.88/5  rDev -16%

473 mL can from the LCBO served slightly chilled; labelled as "Belgian Moon" for the Canadian market. The existence of 'Rickard's White' in Canada (which has always been, quite literally, nothing more than re-labelled Blue Moon) has previously presented a large disincentive for Molson-Coors to bother launching the Blue Moon label on this side of the border. But I suppose M-C has got to find some way to compete with all of that fruity Shock Top crap that has been diffusing into Canada over the past year, and this is merely the first step.

Pours foggy golden-yellow, with a full inch of frothy, bone white-coloured head floating atop. It dissipates continuously over the next couple of minutes, eventually leaving behind a wide, foamy collar accompanied by minimal lace. Cereal grains and wheaty sweetness on the nose, with notes of zesty orange peel and spicy coriander. Kind of a weird sweaty armpit vibe, too.

Not too appealing. More cereal grain and gritty wheat flavour; the adjuncts help cover things up, but you can tell the base beer is mediocre and cheap. Orange peel and lemon zest make up the latter half of the sip, with subtle coriander spice and muddled flavours of yeast and apricot finishing things up. Light-medium body, with moderate carbonation levels - lower than I was expecting, but still enough to produce a relatively crisp mouthfeel. Refreshing when cold, I suppose, but if that's all I'm seeking then I'd rather save myself some money and just buy a regular pale lager.

Final Grade: 2.88, a forgettable C grade. Nope. No thanks. I realize that Blue Moon as a brand has done some good work as a gateway craft beer, but the beer itself doesn't do much for me at all. Unless they opt to retire the old Rickard's White brand, I have no reason to believe that Belgian Moon's presence in Canada is anything more than a half-assed attempt by Molson-Coors to gobble up some shelf space so that the competition can't have it. At best, it's a tolerable corporate witbier; one that Canadians who are familiar with the Rickard's portfolio can handily skip.

Apr 20, 2016
q33jeff from New Jersey

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

01/11/2018

Bottle to pint glass. (no orange slice)

LOOK: Hazy yellow, small but lasting creamy head.
AROMA: it's got that wheat-egg thing going on, but not horrendous.
TASTE: crisp malty grains , lemon,
FEEL: Very creamy, medium body, average carbonation.

Despite being a mass produced beer, I still enjoy this (even without the orange slice). Very creamy and easy drinking with adequate flavor.

Jan 11, 2018
RickyBobbysDad from Georgia

Had to review this. Blue moon got me started on venturing into the craft beer world. I have tried many witbiers, and contrary to a lot of opinions here, this beer is awesome. Still my favorite. If you haven't tried one, do yourself a favor. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 09, 2016
biboergosum from Canada

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle. A few years ago, this brand caused a bit of fuss up here in Canada, due to its recipe being used by MolsonCoors in the production of the Canadian version of their offering, Rickard's White - not that anyone was made aware of it at the time, of course. And I see now, from the suggestion on the Yankee label, where the stupid insistence on serving Rickard's White with a slice of orange originated.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden amber colour, with two flabby fingers of puffy, finely foamy, and yet soapy off-white head, which melts away in barely more than an instant, leaving only the faintest specks of microbial lace around the glass.

It smells of musty orange citrus rind, some mild coriander and clove spiciness, lazy-ass yeast, and a wan, semi-sweet wheaty graininess. The taste is somewhat edgy wheat and indistinct pale grain, a nice soft orange and overripe lemon citrus thing, clammy yeast, a twinge of wet white pepper dust, and some isolated and egregiously hovering coriander 'flavouring'.

The carbonation is a bit below average, what with its underwhelming frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and smooth, sure, with only a wee overall clamminess. It finishes off-dry, that oh so sweet wheat pushing the milder fruit and spice essences aside like the craven hired hands that they are.

Overall, a decent, if mostly uninspired witbier apery, which I suppose is the trade-off for mass distribution vs quality (at least within those United States, anyways). One could do much worse in their ill-informed BMC wanderings, but that's still no fucking excuse.

Aug 26, 2010
Slaterlovesbeer from Alabama

2.51/5  rDev -26.8%

Puny withering head. Cloudy amber color. Aroma is of a rotten grain field. Flavour is bitter but not pleasantly so. Stale wheat thins and urine. Smooth and almost refreshing mouthfeel is murdered by unpleasant taste. Not a fan of wheats but I can appreciate one if its good but this is not. Would rather drink natty lite. Save your money and buy something better.

Aug 27, 2015
AFDerek from Maryland

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available.

Aug 31, 2014
NickFry9 from New York

3.04/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer is okay. It was the first Belgian white i ever had, so when i first had it i thought it was the greatest thing in the world, but as time goes on i realized it's pretty average.

Jun 01, 2017
yankee2195 from New Jersey

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Even coming from a macro brew, Blue Moon is definitely a decent beer. Most bars usually have it on tap and for its mass production, it's not bad at all. Easy gateway into craft beers for some people. Easy to drink, enough citrus taste, and an overall crisp finish.

Apr 15, 2016
NatsuruSenou from Kentucky

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Its a good intro to the wheat ale/witbier style. This is made with wheat, if you look on the bottle it says wheat, orange peel and coriander. I can taste the citrus from the orange, and the wheat taste as well. It has the beautiful hazy color of most wheat ales. This is a good introduction to witbiers. It doesn't have the slight spice that the Sam Adams i had along side it. Theres another significant difference. The alcohol in this beer, creeps up on you. Samuel Adams Summer Ale, Which i had along side this, hits you straight up. The mouthfeel is kind of medium to light bodied. with a light bubbly natural feeling carbonation from the brewing process. Goes down smooth, with no bitterness. Its an overall good quality beer, But there are better examples. This one just gets high ratings, because I like it personally, and I am very used to this beer and I love it. Downsides, for some other craft drinkers that they may or may not care for, Its Coors. For me, not a problem who brews it, as long as its good. Also, its a tad sweet for people that that matters to. I like it. It leaves me wishing for the nice spice of the Samuel Adams though. I would drink it again. Some people say the head is Puny with the foam, on this one, it is quite a bit less than the other wheat ales I have tried.

Aug 30, 2015
Jason from Massachusetts

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz brown long twist off bottle, ink jet date printed above the label but you would not know if it is a best before or a brew on date.

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a creamy tiny bubbled lace, vague citrus peel hits the nose with a soft bluntness also.

Smell: Soft lemony fermented wheat twang, hint of coriander with a powdery yeast undertone in the aroma.

Taste: Moderate body, smooth and creamy with a light malt crispness which mostly comes from the wheat. Big burst of sweetness at first from the malt and coriander, hops are distant and let the spices be dominant throughout. A very well manufactured texture makes up for the loss in depth of the vague spices other than coriander. Hints of citric peel and light pepper corns find their way to the taste buds. Neutral powdery yeast creeps it way to the flavour threshold. Crisp wheat is very refreshing and seems to linger for ever and evolves into an increasingly crisp and semi dry finish.

Notes: Somewhat sweeter and softer than other Belgian Style White Ales, not bad at all but does lack some depth.

A good beer to bring to parties, seems to be the cool or fashionable beer to have around for some people that still think micro brew is a fad. Everyone that buys this beer that I know did not even have a clue that it was a Coors product.

May 07, 2002
cryptichead from Illinois

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer.

Jun 04, 2015
EmericaMoon from Pennsylvania

i gave this beer 5's all across the board because it definitly deserves it. blue moons apperance, smell, and taste is the perfect match for me. its got that perfect dark color, with that strong taste which hints at orange at the end. also i think the best way to drink this beer is from bottle or tap, when drinking from can all the spices at the bottom dont get mixed very well.

Oct 13, 2010
JLaw55 from Missouri

The difference between this and Shock Top is almost indiscernible. Absolutely delicious on tap, the only way to drink it. The only item I might say is different is this one may be ever so slightly more creamy.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

Jul 10, 2014
meganrosso from Michigan

4.57/5  rDev +33.2%

Very refreshing on a nice sunny day

Apr 27, 2015
Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 78 out of 100 with 7575 ratings