Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,610 | Ratings: 6,687
4.68/5  rDev +37.6%

So far, my favorite beer. The color is a cloudy orange and you can see some white in it. The head is beautiful and dissipates in just the right amount of time. The smell is very light and the aroma isn't overwhelming with alcohol. You can smell a bit of the citrus. Orange slice isn't required, but definitely addes to the taste. You can squeeze it or just let it drop in a gradually absorb itself in the beer. The taste was very light on my tongue. Very smooth going into my mouth and the citrus hint comes out. I didn't have to force it down like with some beers. It glides down. Overall a great beer with great taste. If you're more of a social drinker and like wines or mixed drinks, this is definitely a beer you should try.

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Im not a beer drinker, generally never can finish even one beer but was easily able to finish this. Had it with an orange slice and the citrus blended perfectly. Highly recommended to those non or new beer drinkers

4.6/5  rDev +35.3%

Blue Moon requires an orange to meet its full potential, but that's part of the fun. It makes it a treat, rather than just a beer. This is a great one to give to somebody who doesn't like beer. I'm surprised to find out Coors makes it. Coors is disgusting.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Appearance- cloudy gold, very appealing.

Smell- very sweet and calk full of malt. Coriander is present as well. I agree with the bro.

Taste- delicious, smooth and malted. Very sweet and fruity. (where does the fruit come from? Anyone...)

Mouthfeel- slightly thick when talking American brews of this color, but very pleasant.

Drinkability- very easy to drink, I did a six pack in forty five minutes. All of Coors beers seam to have an easy drinking beverage in mind when creating a beer. A definite quencher. Come summer time and the heat is on, I will be found in a blue haze. (sorry Jimmy)

Very good beer. Easy to drink and equally unique. Often served with an orange this adds a little to the sweetness and also makes the drinking more fun in a corny way. This beer is quite tasty and should be explored if you like sweet brews. Taste identical to Sam Adams White Ale...

4.55/5  rDev +33.8%

I don't care who makes this stuff - I like it.

A: Hazed yellow gold with an off white 1 finger head that dissipates to a ring in my pint glass - nice lacing counts my sips through the session.

S: Citrus - orange (probly why most try to serve with a slice, tell them to leave it - the beer speaks well on its own), slight bready yeast, but citrus dominates.

T: Citrus Orange & Wheat, fruity yeast and orange. Finshes with grain / citrus.

M: Light, but not thin.

O: Really nice beer! Nothing epic about it, but nothing to complain about either. A very well balanced and refreshing wit that happens to be made by Coors (keep it coming!)

4.55/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The head on this beer is decent, not too much, not too little. This beer's cloudy appearance that gives this beer character but can be intimidating the the drinker until he puts it up to his face. The first thing that gets the drinker is the smell, it is unique and you can somewhat smell the orange peel. Don't let the weak smell fool you though. This beer has a powerful and very smooth and flavorful taste that goes down solid and lets you remember how good it really is. The drinkabilty is good and, from what I hear, a slice of orange makes this beer unforgetable. Give it shot, you won't regret it.

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance- honey but very cloudy with a 2-3 finger white head

Smell- Smells of fresh peaches and ones that are sweet.

Taste- Taste Green apple wiht a little bit of tartness. But to even it out a sweet peach taste.

Mouthfeel- Is like carbonated fruit juice with a very light feel and very smooth.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink. A beer for the summer and a beer that needs to be drank between 40-45 degrees f.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

This beer is quite common these days, coast to coast. I prefer draft vs. bottled.

A) A beautiful bright yellow, bordering on orange. Almost glows when held to light. Very cloudy and dense

S) Sweet Citrus & Coriander.

T) Despite its large production, a consistently well crafted product. Sweet orange and spice, especially refreshing. I like to squeeze a slice of fresh orange or if unavailable, lemon into a full pint.

M) Level carbonation that lasts through the pour. The alcohol is balanced -- just right.

D) Blue Moon is an excellent, craft style American Witbier. Especially good when you are having more than one

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Keep the glass and the fucking orange peel. This beer is great right out of the bottle. In any season! One of my go to when I can't get to a craft store.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

One the one hand, I hate the fact that this is touted as a craft beer when it is, in fact, brewed by Coors. On the other, it's actually pretty darned good as witbiers go.

I've had this both bottled and on tap and really there's not much to choose between the two - it's a bit on the thin side but at the same time has the typical witbier citrus/coriander flavours. I still don't 'get' why I get offered a slice of fruit when I buy witbier - fruit has its place, but not in my beer!

It seems to be fairly ubiquitous, even in the UK, and is definitely a creditable alternative to the likes of Hoegaarden and a fairly low-risk way of getting into witbier in general.

Definitely recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

This beer is one of my personal favorites I have had it in abottle and on tap. If there is a beer I want with my meal it is this one. It pours a creamy yellow color and a nice smaller white head. some places serve it with an orange on the glass I prefer to throw that to the side right away. the taste is so smooth, fills the mouth with flavour but not to much, this is why it is good with food it will not overwhelm your food. this beer is common from what i have seen so if you havent had it do so.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

i went out for dinner last night and only had about 6 choices of beer to choose from. this being one of them. i tried one called la mon fondat? i think. it wasnt good so i chose this beer. i think ive had a change of heart with this beer. its actually really good. no need for an orange slice!!! smooth and no aftertaste!! with dinner it was surprisingly really good.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Pour a Blue Moon into a chilled glass and throw in a fresh slice of orange and you have a 5/5 beer.

Being someone who hates the bitterness if IPAs, beers like Blue Moon give a pleasant taste, while not too sweet as a hard cider would give.

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer is awesome. It's my go-to beer at any bar if I'm not sure what to get and I'm never displeased.

Served: On-tap, poured into a pint glass with an orange slice.

A: Being that it's unfiltered, it was a cloudy copper with a pinky-thick head. Looks filling, but it's quite the opposite.

S: The wheat, spices, and mild hops are definitely present. Smells intriguing enough to make you anticipate the first sip.

T: Wow. It's smoothe, it's fruity, and it's complex. I really can't get enough of it when I have it, especially when it's served extremely cold.

D: One after the other, it tastes great. It's smoothe and has some character to it. With the added orange it makes it even better. It's what a witbier should be.

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

In the right company, and the right setting, this can be the perfect beer. We had little to choose from at the poolside bar at the Orlando Wyndham, but they had this on tap. We ordered a couple. 15 minutes later they appeared, with appologies (we could see the bartender having problems).

It was pretty good. Better than I had remembered in a bottle (later bottle tastings confirmed this, though it is drinkable in a bottle too). Shortly thereafter, two free ones showed up (by-products, I think - a bunch of foam, now in two glasses). But it all was good. Neither serving was excessively cold, which I think helped make it tastey. And the company and setting were perfect too.

As I said, in a bottle, I was never very impressed with this, but if it is barely cold, it has nice flavor like that too.

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a light orange color.. very hazy/cloudy.. head starts at thick head then settles slowly.. left some lacing..

smell: citrus(orange) and a small "spice" that would make you take a second smell in pleasure

taste: starts off with a spicy orange taste then finishes with a creamy spice. I like it.

Mouthfeel is good. Its nice and feels like a beer

This is a very good beer. But be careful. The flavor is addicting and for people with acid reflux like myself you will get sick if you have too many. I gotta say this beer is very good for sitting down with a meal or just sitting on the back porch on a hot summer night and getting drunk. it does the trick!

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

I have on good authority that Pierre Celis would agree with me when I say Blue Moon is a better example of a Belgian Wit than Hoegaarden.

I can't say anything bad about this beer. It is really up front about what it is: a spiced wheat beer with Belgian yeast.

Blue Moon is strong flavored yet thirst quenching. Right On!

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of a beer. It's unique taste of orange and coriander is really exquisite. I had first tried this beer on tap and immediately was hooked. It tastes great and has exceptional drinkability. Served with an orange peel, this just helps to bring out the distinct orange taste associated with this beer. This is definitely a great white beer - hands down, one of the best I've ever tried. If you are looking for something new and different, you should certainly try this. Great on tap or out of the bottle, and like most beers, best served really cold.

4.44/5  rDev +30.6%

Serving Type: Bottle, poured into a glass.

Appearance: Very good color, darker than I expected for a Belgian White.

Smell: A very strong citrus smell, you can smell the malt as well.

Taste: Very good Wheat taste, a little too bitter for my liking. If you want more of a hoppy taste in your wheat beer, go for this over others.

Mouthfeel: Slightly thinner than most wheat beers I have had.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Easy to enjoy, great with burgers, pizza, and just plain drinking.

4.43/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You can't go wrong with slices of orange or grapefruit. It enhanced the flavor by quite a gap. First time I tasted it in Vegas a few years back. But last month my gf sent me a dozen cans as a gift, straight from US. It was so tasty, crisp, fruity, and refreshing. Best paired with any pork dishes, especially those Chinese take out. One of the best Belgian White Ale I've ever tasted.

Best American witbier

A-slightly cloudy, typical

S-Balanced orange and coriander

T-Great balance of wheat, malt, spices and a kiss of hops

M-Good, doesn't linger but gives a nice wheat, citrus aftertaste that cleans up quickly

D-Good for a 12 pack

4.42/5  rDev +30%

appearance - Pale yellow color with a nice white head on it.

smell -Fruity citrus smell to it.

taste - Citrus flavor to it, nice clean taste.

mouthfeel - Crisp feel to it, citrusy

drinkability - Refreshing beer not bad at all. Nice summer beer. Have had on tap and in bottle, many times. Made by Coors, did you know that? They should put Coors right over the Blue Moon label lol.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

I drank this belgian white ale at a golf course as it was the best draft choice given the other american lager options.

A fruity, clean, white head and almost bright orange body that was served cold in a 16 ounce plastic cup. (Sorry, no other options)

Bartender advised that most people ask for orange slice with it but I promptly declined.

Fruity smell with an almost herbal hint. (Advised it was brewed with orange peel and coriander).

Clean, sweet flavor and feel with no strong, bitter after-taste.

Drinkable, although rather sweet.

I would recommend this belgian white ale to someone who ha grown accustomed to stale tasting american beer and a normally afraid of a non processed american lager or pilsner.

I would not recommend this ale if it were not served cold.

I prefer this ale as a change of pace and to me it is better than your run of the mill - Hefe's. or unfiltered wheat brews.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. Like the guy whose review is just below me, Coors briefly had me thinking this stuff came from a microbrewer. And let me say I'm also impressed Coors was able to make this. This was my introduction to Belgian Whites, and its quickly become one of my favorite beers. The color is a sort of light gold, but on the cloudy side. The head pretty tall and better formed than I would have expected in such a fizzy beer. The smell is very pleasant with some citrus and a little bit of spice besides. Taste is pleasant and refreshing. It's light, with some sweetness, and some sourness that adds pleasant depth, rather than a perception cheap hops. Plus there's a bit of spice in there. Mouthfeel is fizzy and fairly light, though not at all watery. Drinkability is pretty good because this is a light and very pleasant beer. But not great because of the acidity. Hop presence is rather slight since a lot of the flavor comes from spice and other flavorings. I'd definately reccomend this, although I have to admit Hacker-Schorr Weiss was definately better still. It was a surprisingly decent introduction to a new category for me, and if I couldn't find, or didn't want to pay for a bottle of that Hacker-Schorr Weiss, then this would be my choice for someone who's new to beer, or who says they don't like beer.

4.42/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love wheat beers and this beer in particular. It tastes great and is infinitely drinkable - particularly in the summer time. It's smooth, has great flavor, and has balanced carbonation. I prefer it on tap to bottled, but both are fantastic. Writing this review makes me want to go get one...enjoy!

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company