Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

Also know as Belgian Moon in Alberta & British Columbia

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Ratings: 7,058 |  Reviews: 1,667
3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint glass. - Editing after yet another session with this beer.

A: Traditionally pale and cloudy, orange in color. The head is short-lived and eventually dissipates to a small bleach white cap. A little swirl before sipping, however, will generate a little bit of a bubbly, smooth head. The color isn't what I expect from the style, but it's by no means ugly. I just wish there was some semblance of lacing down the glass...

S: Gentle, clean citrus scents hit the nose immediately. Coriander and wheat are quite detectable, but act as more of an undertone that compliments the citrus well. It's what you expect from a witbier, but it all just seems so... artificial almost.

T: Orange peel and coriander are extremely apparent upon first sip. Smooth, crisp wheat flavors follow as the beer makes its way down. Aftertaste is mild, but reveals some strange boozy flavors. Taste remains fairly consistent throughout. Not complex or rich like better Wits, but still acceptable in its own right.

M: Straight from the bottle, the carbonation on this one can be kind of overbearing. Quite bubbly, and very soda-like. Not as much of an issue when poured into a glass. An overall average body. Goes down fairly easy. Blue Moon on tap tends to be a little less overbearing in terms of carbonation. That's how I prefer it.

O: Blue Moon is the beer that got me into the craft world, so it still holds a special place in my heart and, admittedly, I still get slightly defensive when people bash it. While I admit that Blue Moon is a sub-par brew, it's leagues ahead of all the other mass-produced swill sold by the Big Three. Blue Moon remains my session beer at parties and social gatherings when it's too expensive to supply craft, and not acceptable to bring beer just for myself.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%

I poured my Blue Moon into a tulip pilsner glass and watched as the head dissipated very quickly as if it was offended by my choice of glassware. I also noticed there was no lacing and no head remained on top of the beer as I drank this highly popular Coors product. These are the reasons for my low score in the appearance category.

The aroma was more impressive. Citrus zest, orange, and some faint coriander. It didn't really smell like beer due to the predominant fruity aromas.

The color reminded me of orange creamsickles or cantaloupe. The beer was hazy of course.

I think my Blue Moon might have lost some of its carbonation somehow. Maybe the twist off was slightly askew. However, I was really surprised at how fast the carbonation left this beer. The aforementioned head retention problems coupled with the fact that this beer just looked flat by the time I was halfway done with it, make me think I got damaged goods somehow. I find it highly unlikely that a brewery as technologically advanced as Coors would get something like carbonation wrong.

Drinking the Blue Moon was refreshing but uninspiring. Light acidity, very light bitterness, a small sweet kick in the end and a faint floral hop taste complemented nicely the previously mentioned aromas.

This is a tasty and refreshing, very drinkable interpretation of the style. I could have a 6 pack of these in the summer if that weren't considered alcoholism.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%

This is a decent beer. I did not know it was made by Coors until right now. Quite surprising based on some of their other offerings (the Silver Bullet (which is what I would like to be shot with instead of drinking that) and Banquet Beer).

Dispersed into my trusty travel pint glass. It is plastic but it serves its purpose. A very nice size head settled on top, about two fingers worth. No lacing but the head stays with the beer all the way to the end. Cloudy with a pumpkin color.

Definitley smells of yeast but I dont really detect any citrus. A bit of cloves but nothing impressive overall.

Taste is a bit more forthcoming. Quite citrusy. Very nice and refreshing. Very lemony. Not much in the way of hops. Also yeasty as well. I would never know this was a macro.

Crisp and clean finish. This would be great for a tailgating party on hot summer days. I think most people would find this a good medium for beer geeks and macro geeks.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer is decent, good head, and lacing. Great with oranges, orange peel, orange zest. This is also very good with coriander. This beer is a good white beer, made in a Belgian style, a mock-off of Hoegarden. But still a very popular beer, good taste, and good to have around on parties, tail-gating and on tap.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured Blue Moon Belgian White from a bottle into a regular glass.

A: It looks exactly like a beer should. Pours an orange/yellow that allows some light through. The head is about two fingers thick, and subsides after a moment or two.

S: Citrus comes to mind. Orange, pineapple. Not very overpowering.

T: Light and sweet, with a peppery edge. A bit dull really, but it's not outside what I was expecting.

M: Very light on the tongue. Almost no carbonation, and has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

O: It's not bad. Decently flavorful and definitely very drinkable. Not something I would go out of my way to buy, but no major complaints.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

When this beer was poured into my glass, it poured a large off-white head with fine-small sized bubbles that was long lasting. The body was cloudy and carbonation was observed. The hue of this beer was pale yellow and the nose was cruity and citrusy. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. The flavor was mild and it lacked character. The mouthfeel was smooth, thin and watery.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Pouring this out of a keg was a real task. Even with a good poor I was left with half a cup full of head. We resulted in filling a pitcher full first then pouring that into the cups. This was not the first time I have had Blue Moon, but it was the best tasting Blue Moon I have had. The initial scent is of citrus and spice. After a drink you get the spice up front then a blast of citrus following. The beer doesn't seem as smooth as other whites I have had in the past, but for the price you really can't beat it when found on sale.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pale yellow/light golden. Appears cloudy, a thin white head dissipates rather quickly to nothing more than a veneer of small bubbles. A good looking beer. A moderately strong floral/fruity aroma, provides an inviting scent. A very mild taste for its style, slightly fruity, not overpowering in anyway. A definite aftertaste persists although this is neither positive or negative. Feels light, an easy drinking beer, although somewhat disappointing given both its very good appearance and smell. I will drink it again, although will not go out of my way to find it.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company