Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,612 | Ratings: 6,697
2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

473 mL can from the LCBO served slightly chilled; labelled as "Belgian Moon" for the Canadian market. The existence of 'Rickard's White' in Canada (which has always been, quite literally, nothing more than re-labelled Blue Moon) has previously presented a large disincentive for Molson-Coors to bother launching the Blue Moon label on this side of the border. But I suppose M-C has got to find some way to compete with all of that fruity Shock Top crap that has been diffusing into Canada over the past year, and this is merely the first step.

Pours foggy golden-yellow, with a full inch of frothy, bone white-coloured head floating atop. It dissipates continuously over the next couple of minutes, eventually leaving behind a wide, foamy collar accompanied by minimal lace. Cereal grains and wheaty sweetness on the nose, with notes of zesty orange peel and spicy coriander. Kind of a weird sweaty armpit vibe, too.

Not too appealing. More cereal grain and gritty wheat flavour; the adjuncts help cover things up, but you can tell the base beer is mediocre and cheap. Orange peel and lemon zest make up the latter half of the sip, with subtle coriander spice and muddled flavours of yeast and apricot finishing things up. Light-medium body, with moderate carbonation levels - lower than I was expecting, but still enough to produce a relatively crisp mouthfeel. Refreshing when cold, I suppose, but if that's all I'm seeking then I'd rather save myself some money and just buy a regular pale lager.

Final Grade: 2.88, a forgettable C grade. Nope. No thanks. I realize that Blue Moon as a brand has done some good work as a gateway craft beer, but the beer itself doesn't do much for me at all. Unless they opt to retire the old Rickard's White brand, I have no reason to believe that Belgian Moon's presence in Canada is anything more than a half-assed attempt by Molson-Coors to gobble up some shelf space so that the competition can't have it. At best, it's a tolerable corporate witbier; one that Canadians who are familiar with the Rickard's portfolio can handily skip.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Even coming from a macro brew, Blue Moon is definitely a decent beer. Most bars usually have it on tap and for its mass production, it's not bad at all. Easy gateway into craft beers for some people. Easy to drink, enough citrus taste, and an overall crisp finish.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Another famous beer brewed with orange. Like the Rickard's white you can feel the orange in every sip of this drink. The only difference I have seen, was that there is no lees or very little at the bottom of the bottle.

This one will become really fast one of my favorite and will probably compete with the Rickard's white.

The color is a rich golden yellow with less deposit than in the Rickard's white. They probably filter this beer a little bit more.

On my beer can I can't find anywhere saying blue moon, so I assume I have the right one to describe.

5.4% ABV, the IBU (international beer bitterness) is very low, and the SRM (Standard reference Method) is about 5 to 6. The can is 473 ml for 3.65 $.

This beer will become one of my many favorite beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I understand why people like this beer. It is not my taste it tastes more of lemon, lime. It is okay for my palate, but I prefer Hacker Pschorr Weiss or Shock Top to Blue Moon

4.43/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You can't go wrong with slices of orange or grapefruit. It enhanced the flavor by quite a gap. First time I tasted it in Vegas a few years back. But last month my gf sent me a dozen cans as a gift, straight from US. It was so tasty, crisp, fruity, and refreshing. Best paired with any pork dishes, especially those Chinese take out. One of the best Belgian White Ale I've ever tasted.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You know how weed is a gateway drug? Well this is my gateway beer! Before this beer, my only exposure to beer was stuff like Bud and PBR. I thought beer was piss water. Then I had a Blue Moon, which I still enjoy to this day. Way better than a shock top, very refreshing and tastes like orange juice. This beer made we want to explore the world of craft beer that I indulge in today, so thank you Blue Moon and Coors Brewing. I may not consider you a "great beer" now, but you served your purpose as my "gateway beer!"

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Coors Brewing Company - Blue Moon Belgian White. 5.4% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by 7/18/16.

Look: Settles a hazy, soft orange color, with a half finger sized head of light tan foam which settles into nothing.

Smell: Strong wheat and bread on the nose, with some orange peel and citrus backing it.

Feel: Heavy and thick feel, with a lot of carbonation.

Taste: Wheat and biscuit backbone throughout, with the citrus and orange peel emerging behind the heavy wheat.

Overall: First Witbier. Before I drank beer, I remember the commercial for this beer, and always thought it looked good. This isn't bad at all, but mediocre in my opinion. Feels heavy, and nothing really stands out about it.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden slightly hazy color with minimal head that disappears very quickly. The nose is very strong and is my favorite part of this brew; malty with notes of orange mainly. The taste isn't as wheaty as other witbiers I've had, and seems to be quite a bit weaker than the smell. The feel is light, crisp, and smooth with medium carbonation.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

L: cloudy, golden color
S: faint notes of citrus and fresh wheat
T: deliciously light and refreshing with citrus notes
F: smooth
O: for my first witbier, I'm happily satisfied and want another please

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This would taste better with like a whole orange, cubed, pulverized and crammed into my glass.
I want to hate this to a level of utter hatefullness, but I can't. I feel guilty for kinda digging it's crappy spicy/wheaty/citrusy wankiness.
Someone take me out and shoot me.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours like cloudy apple cider with a tiny and quickly vanishing head. Smell is sweet and yeasty. Taste is vaguely citrus and mostly biscuit, but overall it's quite mild. Mouthfeel is extremely thin, yet somehow manages some creaminess through the carbonation.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. Big chunks of particulate matter found floating through the powerful carbonation bubbles.

Smells of citrus and white bread.

Taste was a wheat bread, biscuit taste mixed with citrus notes and some spices like coriander coming through in the background.

Mouth feel was leaning toward medium with a nice wet finish.

Overall this was a good wit that placed above others and below others for me. That being said I would place this on a regular order list and I am very happy with another nice offering from the Coors Brewing Company.

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a 24pk at the duty free in Buffalo MI. Served at 5deg C in a tulip.

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for nearly 4mins before film out. Medium gold colour and unfiltered

S- Nice coriander. Some malt.

T- Thin. Missing that Belgium style white flavor completely. Just a shill of a wheat brew. Guess the proper ingredients in the proper proportions are too expensive for this mass producer. This must be what happens when the bean counters get too involved in a brewery.

M- Thin and watery

O- Ok at best. Just not even the same ball park as a Blanche De Chambly or Hoegaarden. It must be the mass producing philosophy keeping this one down...... profit, profit, profit, flavor be damned.

Food Pairing

This ok brew went ok with....... BBQ mild sausage with mild yellow mustard and fried sauerkraut.

Enjoy

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing gateway beer. For me it was a transitional beer to even better craft. It should never be dismissed as a typical macro beer product. Smooth and all around easy going beer

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A classic. The appearance is hazy as all get-out, but the bold (but artificially strong) orange peel on the nose and tongue, backed by sweet bready grains, is as easily enjoyable as anything. As insulting as it is to call this superficial beer Belgian in style, it's equally as insulting to dismiss it as a bad beer altogether.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this beer. It's Orange Soda Beer. I drink it all the time.

However, it helped me learn about other Witbiers', so it's served its purpose.

Coors makes this, their beer is atrocious, but they have a diamond here in a sea of garbage.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ah, Blue Moon Belgian White. The bridge to craft beer for many, myself included, that people love to hate. I wonder, if this exact same product was put out by Hill Farmstead or Russian River, would it have higher scores? I could care less that this is a mass-produced Coors product. It succeeds, as far as I'm concerned, as a mass-market witbier.

Pours an inviting cloudy orange, smell is very mild -- yeasty, wheaty, and citric. The taste is milky, smooth, orange-dominant, very mild and easy-drinking. Clean aftertaste. Creamy mouth-feel. Pretty clearly not at the level of Hoegaarden, Allagash, or St. Bernardus, but better than a lot of small-batch American wits I've tried.

A solid choice when your options are limited. On tap practically everywhere and better than any American adjunct lager.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

pours a hazy peach with a medium head that poofs. nose; belgian yeast, very mild cilantro & extremely mild tangerine pulp. taste; heavy crackery wheat malt, mild coriander, very mild tangerine pulp & zest. medium carbonation & mouthfeel. everything here besides the single-pitch lager profile is very mild - all of the ingredients listed on the bottle show up in trace amounts. no (easily) discernible hops. it's easy to see why an orange slice is encouraged as a garnish/additive. although there's nothing readily bad here, you easily get the feeling of drinking empty calories. i need my sinning to be more indulgent.

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

bb 3/4/16
12oz bttle poured into pilsner style glass
L- murky orange in color thin white head dissipates immediately
S- oranges, a little bit of spice
T- starts off with zesty orange burst, lingers a dull yeasty taste, finishes with slight white peppery feel
F- medium bodied with nice seltzer like carbo, creamy feel as well
O- put me on the Anti-BM bandwagon, while i used to belong to the "who cares who makes it" group. Belgian White is definitely not a quality beer

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A hazy golden color, with a almost non-existent head, with below average lacing.

Smells of wheat, with notes of citrus and overall sweetness.

Taste is similar to smell. Although, I also detected bananas and various subtle spices, most prominently, coriander.

Mouthfeel is light and very drinkable. Carbonation is high, yet does not detract from the taste.

Yeah, yeah. I know this is a big macro beer, and by extension, the scourge of the earth. Yet, this is very tolerable, despite its simplicity.

I understand why BA's might be skeptical over the big macros buying up small craft breweries, but I don't see any harm whatsoever in offshots such as Blue Moon who try to do something different, albeit perhaps not excellently so.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours very cloudy orange color with white head that completely goes away no lacing.

Smell some yeast maybe cinnamon and some coriander other spices and wheat.

Taste yeast and wheat some spices

Feel light bodied and smooth

Overall I really did not care for this much probably will not have it again.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

L: Hazy golden yellow
S: Wheat and malt
T: Also wheat and malt
F: Smooth. Well carbonated.
O: Goes well with an orange slice. Nice beer to relax and enjoy on a warm day.

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A staple, a delicious beer that for me really introduced the introduction of orange flavor into a beer, in this case into a wheat beer. I love that coors is getting into a "crafty" beer, I remember rafting down the river that fed the coors brewery, and the water tastes amazingly like craft beer!

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

I ordered a pint of this during a flight delayed afternoon. I had run through my usual local choices and remembered that I had not tried this beer for a long time. It is much as I remember - decent looking, with whiffs of orange and coriander. Overall, it's not a terrible beer. It was refreshing for a poolside sip, but I certainly won't go out of my way to track it down again!

2.87/5  rDev -15.6%

This was one of the first beers I ever had and I remember thinking "if this is what beer's like, I don't get the big deal." Since then, I've had much better and much worse. My most recent experience: Decent appearance, a hazy yellowish color with a small head that dissipated quickly and didn't leave any lacing. Smell and taste are both mostly wheaty with a faint orangeness. Pretty thin feel. Overall, it's kind of a weak, mild beer that's lacking in flavor, but not so bad I'll refuse to drink it. I wish they would embrace the citrus and add more of an orange or lemon flavor.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company