Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,612 | Ratings: 6,697
3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Belgian White from Molson Coors compagny.

Look: Cloudy, gold and orange color. Finger of white head that disappear quite quickly.

Smell, Citrus, malt, corn?

Taste: Citrus, orange, malt, coriander, goes down really easily

Feel: Very refreshing for a 5,4% but you taste the adjunct at the end, but after a minute you taste back the citrus notes.

So overall would I recomend it ? For sure, this is my go to beer. I would pick this over bud or coors.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle purchased in MI
poured in pilsner glass

LOOK
golden orange and hazy
little lacing
little head that dissipates quickly
small fast bubbles rising

SMELL
little bit of citrus and little else

TASTE
slightly bitter with bitter aftertaste

MOUTHFEEL
crisp when colder and then somewhat chewy as it warms up
decent carbonation

OVERALL
was actually much better when it was cold and crisp; didn't have the quality of aroma and flavor to drink well when warmed up a bit; the bitterness was off-putting and the aftertaste just made it last longer; i didn't drink it with lemon or citrus but it would have been better for it.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

The beer is pale and so hazy it is practically opaque. This bottle had no head and what little white head it had it disappeared very quickly but does have a ring of fast rising bubbles from the carbonation. Never noticed this before but I smelled alcohol. I get a big whiff of orange, citrus, spice, and wheat and sort of an onion like smell. The beer has an average finish and carbonation level. It also felt a little sticky. The beer taste of a orange and citrus flavor and a strong wheat flavor. No real bitterness or noticeable hops and a slight sweetness.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know that craft beer aficionados are supposed to look down their notes at "corporate" beers, but Blue Moon really is pretty decent. I challenge any Wit-lover to taste-test Blue Moon against three or four other bottled Wits and tell me it's not right up there. Yes, some Wits on tap, brewed on-site, can be fresher and zestier, but how many of us live within easy distance of those fine establishments. For those of us who have to spend most of their time actually at work rather than chasing down the latest seasonal, a glass of Blue Moon from the fridge is not a bad deal. Good color in the glass, decent aroma, very drinkable. Thank you Coors for making a good Wit accessible to the common man.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A very passable Belgian white, that hits all the right notes of clove, banana and esters. I only wish that the establishments that serve this beer on draft, save their fruits for some other purpose instead of dropping it in the beer. A very pleasant and easy drinking beer that I wouldn't mind having time and again.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 7/11/2016. Pours very hazy/cloudy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin spotty lace cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Good appearance. Aromas of lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, coriander, clove, light banana/bubblegum, wheat, biscuit, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant around with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, coriander, clove, light banana/bubblegum, wheat, biscuit, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Minimal herbal/spice bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, orange, pear, apple, coriander, wheat, biscuit, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and bready malt flavors; with a good malt/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5.4%. Overall this is a good witbier. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and bready malt flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

I always find it hard to give a rating to a beer's appearance. I don't consider any appearance to be wrong or right or more appealing. Lace and head are thin. Color and clarity is a VERY cloudy yellow. Does that matter? no. Moving on...

Smell's like crap. Not that it smells especially foul or not beery, but the smell is weak, bland, and nothing tasty or particularly appealing. Smells mostly like typical cheap beer. It actually detracts from the drinking experience to have no nice smell. To some people it might SIGNIFICANTLY detract from their impressions of this beer. Did I get a bad can?

Tastes like nothing special. Maybe like a Shock Top Belgian White. Typical wheat beer taste and typical(?) mass-produced(?) belgian taste. Not [i]bad[/i], but nothing special or nice. Nothing remarkable except I suppose a fair bit of citrus. I guess there's the coriander or spice too, but frankly I didn't really notice either the spice nor the cirtus without looking for it, since it wasn't very strong, and is very typical to have for the style. No significant/special hops taste; the malt taste isn't anything great either. Has a mild doughy aftertaste, that is very mild, and not unpleasant.

Texture is nice. Not to overly carbonated or anything. This is one thing that was done well if you ask me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this has such a high rating. Aside from radlers, I typically rate beers a bit higher or significantly higher than their average rating, but not this one. Around 80 isn't an ESPECIALLY good rating, but it's still a solid "above simply good", and I disagree with that. It's good; It's DECENT. I didn't especially care for it though, despite my liking of Belgians and wheats. There are probably better options for most people, even on somewhat of a budget if you're willing to pay a small bit more.

I'm wondering if I got a bad beer [can], because other people are noting a more pleasant smell, and stronger taste.

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

I know this beer is quite popular, but this was the first time I had ever tried it.
12 ounce bottle poured into a 16 ounce beer glass. The beer pours with very little head. It is a foggy golden yellow color. The visual appearance is of this beer is pretty nice overall. The smell of this beer is too mild in my opinion. I detect sweet fruity citrus aromas more than anything. There is an extremely faint hops aroma. I typically do not enjoy beers that smell this fruity. Though I will say this beer does have it's own distinct smell to it. The beer tastes alright. The flavors I taste are quite mild for this style of beer. I tastes of sweet citrus, hops, and malt. But the taste is overly fruity. There is also a fruity aftertaste that I'm not fond of. The feel of this beer is nice. It has a light, smooth, foamy feel to it.

Overall, I don't see why this beer is as popular as at is. It has an overly fruity taste to it. If your are looking for a witbier, then you can do a lot better than Blue Moon without spending a whole lot more money. I would not recommend this beer, unless you enjoy extremely fruity smelling and tasting beers.

Cheers

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I've had this before but am reviewing it based on drinking one 22 June 2016 (with a November best-by date).

Color is hazy apricot with an lightly off-white head. Thick head formed, but lacing did not seem too durable. Attractive at first pour. Nose was a bit plain, mild light malts and a hint of fruitiness. Taste was balanced and refreshing but did not seem very yeasty for a witbier (Belgian wheat beer). Some of the body and complexity seemed to be absent that I expect in that style, and especially any of the darker spices and yeast tones. There were yeasty and fruity flavors, though, and it was enjoyable, just a bit light for the style. Mouthfeel somewhat sudsy but nothing exceptional. The orange flavor often associated with this beer was not too strong and blended well.

3.14/5  rDev -7.6%

Look: Cloudy yellow orange, some sediment, big white head
Smell: wheat/grain, orange. Not too strong
Taste: orange tartness out the gate, followed by spice and a weak malt backbone. Fairly sweet, and a little watery.
Feel: light bodied, crisp carbonation.

Decent flavors but could be more developed. The orange dominates. Not bad for the price though.

4.16/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

it has that nice cloudy/hazy look to it. A really good balance of citrus and spices makes for a tasty beer, i'll be buying this beer again almost for sure,

2.09/5  rDev -38.5%

Looks odd, an orange glow embracing the usual tans and copper colors of a wheat beer. Smells of Orange and wheat. Tastes thin, too fruity and spicy for my tastes.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I enjoy these out of a bottle my brother always gets these when hes visiting on leave he always does the squirt of orange which is how I've had it on tap.

Look is a bit orange definitely different than what im used to.

Smell is sweet and citrusy.

Taste is definitely the best part of this brew, sweet & citrusy, as if it was one of thise specialty seasonal beers. I enjoy it its different but if u want a usual American beer this isnt ir.

Feel is carbonated but not overly so goes down smooth.
Overall its not bad though if its your first time youll be a bit surprised its good but a bit of an acquired taste. I'd definitely reccomend to a crafter or an average beer drinker. Totally worth trying.

3.69/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Nothing particularly exceptional. Golden body, fairly clear. A definite white head. I usually have this in bottle or can, so further detail is generally missing.

S - Like many wheat beers, the nose is of sour grain. This is coupled with slightly more off notes, particularly when I have this in bottles. Cans are usually better, just grain, with slight sourness.

T - A pleasant bready note, heavy on the grain, with a light bitterness in the close.

M - Pretty light and crisp. No drying or spikes in the close.

O - Nothing wrong here, besides some skunk in the nose sometimes. The flavors, while far from spectacular, are perfectly adequate, and drinkable. An acceptable choice when BMC is the only option.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: A hazy, full orange color. With a decent-sized frothy head.
S: Light smells of wheat and coriander. Pretty strong orange smell.
T: Kind of a softly sweet taste. Tastes of sweet and refreshing oranges. Very subdued hints of wheat and coriander in the mix.
M: Easily a session beer with mild carbonation.
O: Overall, I really enjoy this beer. It's a great purchase for someone looking for something sweet or slightly fruity. It's easy drinking material, and easily available. Not sold for the price of a craft beer, but with almost similar quality. I would highly recommend this to someone who wants to get into Witbiers and for someone who wants a better Walmart beer.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours hazy orange with tons of carbonation bubbles. Two finger off-white head dissipates leaving a thin frothy foamy head.

Smell has aromas of wheat, coriander, pepper and hints of subdued citrus and orange.

Taste is subdued. Wheat comes through with some notes of spice and orange. Overall rather bland and muted.

Feel has medium carbonation, pretty drinkable.

Overall a poor example of a witbier, rather bland, nothing to drink with so many better offerings out there.

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer taste great. Tastes amazing, smooth feel going down and a nice sweet aftertaste. Coors Co. did well with this one. Some wouldn't call it a "true" craft beer but it hits the spot for me, considering I don't have too many options on real craft beers.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle Can't really say what it looked like, color, head, etc. It was a little sweet with a spicy citrusy twang. Not bad for a run of the mill beer. Will consider it in a pinch.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

For starters, I'm coming back to this beer because the completionist in me is forcing me to. I've had this beer enough times in my life that I know what to expect and what to say about it. I will never forget the spring of 2013 and the "Keg That Would Not Die" which is another story for another time. This beer is okay enough to me that I don't get bent out of shape if someone offers me one. There are better beers, that much can be said right off the bat, but Blue Moon Belgian White is a good, average, standby beer with a slight bit of character and general appeal. I don't drink it out of habit, but when I do have it I feel okay about the proposition.

A: slightly murky copper-gold with a finger of sudsy head that dissipates in a couple of minutes. Leave pretty good scum of foam on top of the glass as it dissipates, but the head itself is fairly underwhelming. As the glass empties, the suds pretty much disappear save for a ring around the edge of the glass.

S: lots and lots of orange. Bready. Sweet. Spicy/herbal smell that I attribute somewhat to yeast but mostly to coriander and maybe grains of paradise or something similar. Not a huge, sinus filling smell, so don't waste time trying to get down all the different nuances.

T: again with the oranges. If on tap I actually do like this with a slice of orange, but it is not necessary and I get why people don't care for it. Still very bready, pretty much like a slice of white bread in a glass, but it has just enough flavor to be interesting. Still spicy, though it complements decently. Hops are pretty much an afterthought. If it weren't so sweet then they'd come through a bit better.

M: a little bit too foamy and heavy for my taste, but it's not that bad. I wish it were a little bit drier. Not quite crisp and clean enough to be a refreshing hot weather drink.

I don't have much else to say. If you really want a witbier then go spend your money on something else, MillerCoors is rich enough. If you want something that tastes okay, won't break the bank, or are trying to introduce yourself or someone else into the world of beer outside of the Bud 24 pack, then this isn't a bad place to start.

To good health and good beer.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

L: Very cloudy orange gold. 1cm head that went away pretty quick.

S: Smells like a Hefeweizen plus the spices and orange. These are subtle, making it interesting and appealing.

T: Again, a Hefeweizen with the freshness of the orange+coriander. The aftertaste is bitter enough to notice it. It does have a flavor that reminds me of oats.

F: Very subtle carbonation. It is good but maybe too subtle. It feels creamy and fresh.

Overall, and interesting beer. I will definitely grab another one soon.

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Yawn. I really hate when a brewer just scoops up the name of a style and cooks up something that resembles that style in passing. Like this. A vague effort, drinkable, but uninspired. Sorta wheaty. Sorta yeasty. Sorta spicy. Meh. Won't hurt you, but won't thrill you either. Zzzzzz.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Pilsner glass with orange. Pours a cloudy yellow-golden with some carbonation.
Smells of spices, orange and sweet malt.
Tastes of nice spicy hops with a sweetish orange taste and finishing with a bitter touch.
Mouthful is crisp and smooth
Overall, good Witbier that helped eased me into these types of beer.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is a cloudy orange, which is common for this style and the head is somewhat soapy. As far as aroma, citrus rules them all so I leave out the orange that is practically always served with this beer. I wish I could get more flavors out of it without the citrus overpowering it so much. Overall, a pretty refreshing beer that I find myself enjoying fairly often.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance--Part of what keeps me coming back to this as a "standard bar tap" selection is the attractive color of this beer--though it is somewhat "off" compared to others of the style. Pours somewhere between an amber and a golden color. It has a nice solid head that maintains well throughout the drink.

Smell--Aggressive citrus notes from the outset--and not much else. The smell is a tipoff of the general lack of complexity of this Belgian white.

Taste--See comment above regarding aroma. Citrus and more citrus. I would pass on the orange that the barkeep will invariably put in the glass as a matter of course if you don't say something in advance. The label and advertising talk about coriander and other ingredients, but the orange zest overwhelms all of them. This is not a nuanced Belgian white, which isn't unexepcted for a "for the masses" selection that is ubiquitous on restaurant and bar taps. However, when you're having a bite in a joint that offers Budweiser, Miller Lite, and Coors Lite as the other "options," it's a vastly superior choice. It's also a nice "opening" beer because it's pretty light, and is easy to drink.

Feel--Nice carbonation, but that's about the only remarkable sensation it brings to the party.

Overall--I remember when this beer first started showing up in restaurants years ago, and at the time, it was treated like a "premium" offering because it was before other better offerings have proliferated as craft beers have exploded. However, I keep coming back to it, because it was one of the first beers I tried two decades ago that was outside the "comfort zone" of the standard macro brews. I think this would still be a good beer for someone that has been drinking Budweiser, Miller, or other generics to step into a different style, though other Belgian whites that have crossed over into mass production, like Hoegaarden, would still be a better choice in that regard.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Hazy pale straw color with storming activity. Slightly foamy white 2 finger head, lasting around 5 minutes, with faint legs. Flavors of roasted sweet grains, lemon, corn, wheat, faint coriander and floral spices. Sugary with low sharpness. Oily full body with prickly carbonation. Light finish, short lingering sweet malts and soft spices. Okay freshness, a bit flat. Faint flavors and bland. Not a good witbier, overall the quality is mediocre.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company