Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,644 | Ratings: 6,864
2.14/5  rDev -37.1%

It's so hard for me to diss any beer at all but this one misses the mark by quite a way. The appearance is misleading. It LOOKS like a real Belgian white, cloudy wheat but perhaps a shade dark. The flavor was awful. It's very rare that I will not finish a beer. This one made it into that lonely zone. Stick to Celis or Hoegaarden.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

I have had this beer a few times and until I was about to write this review, I did not know it was made by Coors. I honestly would have never guessed it. This is a good beer. It pours a cloudy light color with very little head. The smell and taste are both quite citrusy, which I liked. It goes down nice and smooth and has a good amount of carbonation. This is a good refreshing summer brew which you can find in a decent amount of places.

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into glass mug, had a cloudy orange appearance with a creamy head. Hints of orange and corriander were present, crisp finish with yeasty undertones. A pretty good beer, but I wouldnt say its super great, it is a quality good beer though, a tad expensive though. All in all it was good, i recommend it, but I won't be buying it all the time. A nice change from the molson/labbat.

2.82/5  rDev -17.1%

I beg your indulgence as this beer snob admits to his prejudices for a moment. In short, I had no idea this beer was a Coors product when I picked it off the shelf at my local, sadly stocked as far as beer is concerned, grocery store, and I confess that if I had known I would not have tried it. I assumed it was the product of a micro brewery putting out a style that I otherwise like (mostly due to my experience with the well-known Hoegaarden). Indeed, I didn’t realize it was put out by Coors until I looked it up on this website to post my review as the provenance is not boldly indicated on the bottle, as was no doubt advised by the marketing department. Thus, the review below can be considered free of preconceived notions of a mass-market product, though I have to say the twist-off cap did give me immediate pause.

This beer pours a murky orange color with little or no head. The crisp hoppy aroma is immediately tantalizing. Upon tasting, I am hit by a strong lemon flavor, and I’m afraid little follows that first, rather overbearing, taste. It’s also a bit too thin and watery. I would say overall that it’s crisp and light and not totally unenjoyable on a warm day, but it could use a lot more complexity and body.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Average wheat beer. Not a great head, but nice inital aroma. Has a clean finish, and has a lot of orange and a slight oily feel to the taste. Would be good if nothing else is on tap. Also distributed by Coors, which can be deceptive as its not on the box. Hate big brewers hiding their labels.

2.62/5  rDev -22.9%

interesting scent, wheat, some banana. First taste, instantly thought bananas the fruit, not the candy. Tastes like a wheat beer, not too original. Smooth and very drinkable. Far from being my favorite witbier, but not too bad for a molson-coors product.

3.07/5  rDev -9.7%

22 ounce bottle into glass

A- Hazy amber color, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, no lacing

S-Wheat and slight citrus

T- Carbonated well, tasting old. Wheat and coriander and citrus but all very dumbed down beyond the usual.

M- Thin with high carbonation

O- Pretty sure I got an old bottle. The tastes are all there but very weak. I know this is an OK beer usually but if this is how it always tasted, they would of never gone anywhere.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This would taste better with like a whole orange, cubed, pulverized and crammed into my glass.
I want to hate this to a level of utter hatefullness, but I can't. I feel guilty for kinda digging it's crappy spicy/wheaty/citrusy wankiness.
Someone take me out and shoot me.

Poured from a bottle, initially with a good head that disappeared very quickly, wheat aroma with a touch of orange. I've drank Blue Moon here in the UK both from tap and now in bottle, i can't say i find the beer offensive but as a wheat beer i find it bland and uninteresting, i wouldn't go out of my way to drink it except for the fact that someone bought me three bottles for Christmas.

The label on my UK bottle says brewed by BMBC Toronto, Canada (and imported to the UK by Coors), there's no mention of Golden, Colorado anywhere on the bottle.

Overall as a beer it's neither here or there, drinkable but not memorable.

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into the frosted pint glass given to me by the Applebee's hostess. I declined the orange slice.

The beer poured a hazy orange color, with a thin white head that didn't stick around very long. There was no lacing. When held to the light (after the ice on the side of the glass melted) it looked like thin, unpulped, carbonated orange juice.

Oranges were the dominant smell. I tried to get more, but I couldn't find anything other than oranges and citrus.

The mouthfeel was kind of medium; not overly carbonated, not overly watery.

Once it warmed up, the taste was oranges and citrus, with a little bit of spice to it. The finish was crisp, and lingered for a while.

Overall, a pretty tasty, very easy to drink beer, that seems to take a bashing just because it's brewed in Golden, Colorado.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

A- It is a cloudy, murky yellow, with very little head and no lace.

S- Picking up a light non hoppy smell that is not very inviteing.

T- No doudt a classic belgian taste with a dry after taste, nothing amazing but drinkable, was on sale at the resturant that I was eating at, so I got one not a huge fan but it sure beats the average watered down American Lagers everyone is used to drinking, there is a slight hint of citrus witha light aroma of wheat, with the crisp rocky mountain fresh water taste.

MF- Not bad, very little to no carbonation, very thick with a dry after taste, probally the best thing about this beer.

D- Not bad when it's on sale, but seriously it is drinkable not to heavy and enjoyable so to all the fellas and ladies skying down the rocky mountains crack open a Blue Moon and howl like a wolf our of breath.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

I got a bomber of this at WalMart for about $2.50. I've seen this for years and never tried it because I heard it wasn't good. They started selling some bombers so here goes. :)

serving type: bottle
appearance: drinkin from the bottle. it has a nice inch of head that's it's retained from the 10 minutes it's been open.
smell: citrus, hops
taste: hops, some bread, slight citrus
mouthfeel: since coors makes this i'll say better and more "real beer like" than coors.
overall: i'm not really keen on the taste but it's cool to finally be able to try it. it's gonna be hard to finish this bomber since the taste is not that enticing. the logo on these blue moon bottles is pretty generic and ugly.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Serving type: pint (proper wit style glass)
Serving type: much too warm, probably closer to 12 degrees Celsius
Feb 19, 2013

A: opaque, with an orange straw colour, about a finger of head that dissipated within five minutes leaving random lacing.

S: fairly true to style with light citrus, wheat, yeast and some light coriander.

T: citrus (primarily orange), a little banana, wheat, and yeast both very prominent.

M: this is where I take issue to this beer, it felt much to heavy and buttery(?) to me, the alcohol and acidity didn't cause this beer to become any crisper and it just felt tired and sluggish. Granted this may well be due to my pint coming from an older keg.

O: this is not a beer that I would seek out again, but if put in front of me properly chilled I would have no problem drinking it again.

2.77/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Enjoyed from a bottle into a Schells sampling glass.

A: Cloudy/hazy, deep golden orange, two fingers of head, lots of tiny streaming bubbles

S: Bready, wheat, small amount of citrus, like orange peel, not a ton of aroma

T: White bread, faint acidic orange peel, almost no spice, very carbonated, finish wet and not crisp, very drinkable though

M: soft, velvety, fluffy, thicker than water, very carbonated

O: good wheat beer starter, not very complex, extremely drinkable, if you don't like the taste of beer and like flavored beers go for it. Not enough spice and complexity for me as far as wheat beers go.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

This is the best brew that coor's makes by far.

Appearance is cloudy and somewhat floater, very white with a great light blue tin and a somewhat foaming head.

Smell would be amazing , I couldnt explain how good the smell is but its very nice, kinda berryness/citrus.

The taste is also amazing , you can differntly taste a good type of wheat in this as well as a good tasting yeast.

Mouthfeel is nice as well for this stuff isnt too harsh like most belgian beers out there. The Drinkability would be similar since most Wibier's are the light verson and easy to form of the belgian white style.

I know most of you belgian fans dig your chimay blue, but as for as blue moon and the wibier's go, best type of beer to form out of mainstream wheat.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

A very refreshing brew - had it with a slice of orange. It is a very carbonated beer - Freshness date said Jun04 so I was afraid I had purchase some old beer - but alas I read the coors website and that means June 4th - all dates are a Sunday so you know that means the beer is fresh until June 4, 2006 (182 day shelf life) I think they could have made the whole freshness date issue a bit less confusing.

I think this will be my lawnmover beer of choice this summer.

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

Even though it may not be "cool" to really enjoy this beer among purists since it is brewed by a large brewery, I would recommend this beer for any summer gathering. Oh, also to make the purists cringe, but a orange wedge in this one to really bring out the citrus tones.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

i went out for dinner last night and only had about 6 choices of beer to choose from. this being one of them. i tried one called la mon fondat? i think. it wasnt good so i chose this beer. i think ive had a change of heart with this beer. its actually really good. no need for an orange slice!!! smooth and no aftertaste!! with dinner it was surprisingly really good.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Ok more beers in a can! This should be the ultimate quencher here at GOTV and its 100 degrees.

pours into my cup, looks good so far. Super hazy orange color with pure white head. Looks good.

Smell? For some reason I smell oranges and spices like an easter ham. Hmmm. No hops though.

Taste? Not good. I am not enjoying this. Its kind of sweet and syrupy actually. It is clove like and spicy but there is no tartness or sourness or bitterness for balance. It taste like a wine cooler.

The mouthfeel is syrupy. Not refreshing.

I am glad I tried this. But I won't go back.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

I always find it hard to give a rating to a beer's appearance. I don't consider any appearance to be wrong or right or more appealing. Lace and head are thin. Color and clarity is a VERY cloudy yellow. Does that matter? no. Moving on...

Smell's like crap. Not that it smells especially foul or not beery, but the smell is weak, bland, and nothing tasty or particularly appealing. Smells mostly like typical cheap beer. It actually detracts from the drinking experience to have no nice smell. To some people it might SIGNIFICANTLY detract from their impressions of this beer. Did I get a bad can?

Tastes like nothing special. Maybe like a Shock Top Belgian White. Typical wheat beer taste and typical(?) mass-produced(?) belgian taste. Not [i]bad[/i], but nothing special or nice. Nothing remarkable except I suppose a fair bit of citrus. I guess there's the coriander or spice too, but frankly I didn't really notice either the spice nor the cirtus without looking for it, since it wasn't very strong, and is very typical to have for the style. No significant/special hops taste; the malt taste isn't anything great either. Has a mild doughy aftertaste, that is very mild, and not unpleasant.

Texture is nice. Not to overly carbonated or anything. This is one thing that was done well if you ask me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this has such a high rating. Aside from radlers, I typically rate beers a bit higher or significantly higher than their average rating, but not this one. Around 80 isn't an ESPECIALLY good rating, but it's still a solid "above simply good", and I disagree with that. It's good; It's DECENT. I didn't especially care for it though, despite my liking of Belgians and wheats. There are probably better options for most people, even on somewhat of a budget if you're willing to pay a small bit more.

I'm wondering if I got a bad beer [can], because other people are noting a more pleasant smell, and stronger taste.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is a cloudy orange, which is common for this style and the head is somewhat soapy. As far as aroma, citrus rules them all so I leave out the orange that is practically always served with this beer. I wish I could get more flavors out of it without the citrus overpowering it so much. Overall, a pretty refreshing beer that I find myself enjoying fairly often.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Look: A hazy orange color. A decent finger of white, foamy head.

Smell: Not very strong smelling. Mostly just wheat and citrus. It's not bad, but it's not anything special or interesting either.

Taste: Loads of citrusy orange flavor. There is a wheaty malt taste too, but it's subtly in the background and more near the finish that anything else. The orange is the main flavor here.

Feel: A pretty refreshing, crisp beer. Not dry at all. A good amount of carbonation, which I usually don't like, but it works for this particular beer.

Overall: This is usually my go-to beer if I need something that will be widely available or if I'm out at a restaurant that doesn't have a huge beer selection. This beer is usually on the menu, and it's a reliable for those purposes. Otherwise, I wouldn't drink this very much given a larger selection of brews.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a yellow color with a little wheat hazy. It has a slight head that died quickly. Smells of fruit and lemons. The first sip of this you can really notice the Lemon flavor that is just to overpowering for my taste. Wheat beers are one of my favorite styles of beers but this one was too fruity for my liking. I would consider this beer drinkable but not the best beer of this style. Taking into consideration that this beer is from Coors and the fact that I could drink this if I was at a bar and they only had macros and nothing else it is not that bad.

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%

This is currently my every day beer. It's that good. The spice, combined with what I can only describe as a hint of blueberry, makes this so deliciously drinkable I had to bring some back to Toronto on my last trip home, south of the border. Blueberry isn't mentioned on the label and friends say they don't always taste it - some batches seem to have it and some don't - but whatever the flavour is it's matched perfectly with the spices of this Belgian Wheat.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a thin head.

Smell: sweet and citrus, actually quite pleasant.

Taste: Sweet and citrus, like an orange. Wheat taste resonates after a drink in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, heavy for a wheat, filling.

Drink: I won't buy it again, but it could be an alright summer beer at a bar with no choices. Worth trying.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company