Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,611 | Ratings: 6,692
4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

I have on good authority that Pierre Celis would agree with me when I say Blue Moon is a better example of a Belgian Wit than Hoegaarden.

I can't say anything bad about this beer. It is really up front about what it is: a spiced wheat beer with Belgian yeast.

Blue Moon is strong flavored yet thirst quenching. Right On!

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Usually my number one choice when I'm at a bar and it's on tap. Have always enjoyed its sweetness effect and enjoyed the smooth taste as well. Some people may say they can't drink a number of these in one sitting but I disagree. May be more expensive than other beers but worth the extra dollar in my eyes. No aftertaste to it makes it one of my favorite choices.

4.31/5  rDev +26.8%

A- A mix of gold and orange with haze. What little head was there disappeared before I could take my first sip.

S- Citric and sweet. A bold fruity smell that was awakening.

T- Starts sweet and finishes sweet, with wheat and mild hops, crisp and a relatively clean finish aside from the orange notes.

M- A very health dose of carbonation with no lack of flavor. Again...Very sweet, for lack of a better phrase, it is like a candy beer.

O- This is in my beer hall of fame and is one of my go-to beers. Very great drinkability with an amazing body. It's almost too sweet, but for a witbier it's astoundingly good.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing gateway beer. For me it was a transitional beer to even better craft. It should never be dismissed as a typical macro beer product. Smooth and all around easy going beer

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

This is a relevantly easy to find OK beer when choices are limited. Not at all bad for drinking while BBQing during summer. The smell is indistinct. It pours a golden wheat color.

Finnish taste is definitely that of a wheat beer. This would not be my top pick in a good pub, but it is not a bad back pocket beer when the picks are limited.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Got a decent head from a hard pour, though it doesn't retain all that well. The lacing is moderate; it eventually dissipates within 5-10 minutes. Orangish yellow opaque color (especially opaque only when the yeast on the bottom of the bottle is added). A lemony smell dominates the beer along with a faint hint of wheat. The taste is fairly good: first some mild hops, then the orange peel and coriander (with the orange peel definitely dominating!) and then some malty-yeasty sweetness before the orange peel and hops come back again. Good taste (for a Coors product especially!). The mouthfeel is decent, nice carbonation and light bodied. Altogether a fairly decent beer (which comes as a surprise since it is a Coors product!) Definitely worth a try!

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I grabbed a couple bottles of this beer at my local bodega when I was craving a cold brew. Having not had Blue Moon Belgian White in a while I sorta forgot what is tastes like. However, from the pouring of it into my Hard Rock cafe Los Angeles glass to the first few sips, I was very impressed.

Appearance: Foggy golden orange color with a nice 3/4 inch head that slowly dissipated after the first few sips. Not too much lacing though.

Smell: All the necessary ingredients for a Belgian witbier i.e. yeast, orange peal, coriander, wheat malt, and a bit of phenols.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. Mildly yeasty, orange peal and coriander were nicely pronounced. I also detected a slight tartness which I don't know if I liked.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkabilityl: light and smooth

Overall: Not the best North American interpretation of a belgain wit but definately one I could more than one of in a sitting.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange, cloudy, quarter inch white head
Smell: Orange, citrus,
Taste: Orange, slightcoriander, a little thin, watery
Mouthfeel: Slick Creamy feel
Drinkabity...would be easy to drink a few but if you like to challenged by you beer at all..this one isn't it.

3.57/5  rDev +5%

A: Orange in color, with a small amount of foam on the top

S: Well, of course it has a citrus smell to it, but bellow that,

T: slight hint of spice, and a strong wheat taste, but the after taste is never to strong or bad.

M: It has a full feeling to it, not too thin.

D: I enjoy this beer at some bars that do not have a microbrew selection, Its not my most favorite beer, but its sure nice to have it with certain food.

Serving type: tap - pint

3.69/5  rDev +8.5%

look: creamy, opaque orange. thin head with absolutely no retention.

smell: first thing i notice is the orange soda type scent. very sweet smelling, a bit of spice detectable but not much else.

taste: light maltiness, almost no hop flavor. dominant citrus flavor, which tastes quite nice...well balanced with the flavor of the wheat. fruity yeast present.

feel: medium-ish body...more on the light side. decent carbonation. a bit creamy.

not really a fan of the orange slice pairing, but if you twist the peel over the glass (similar to the lemon twist in a martini) it helps bring out more of the orange in the beer. totally unnecessary, imo. i prefer it without the addition of fruit.

one of my fiancé's favorites, and a pretty decent go-to at restaurants with a less-than-adequate beer selection. this tends to be the "craft brew" at most places...along with sam adams boston lager.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a golden hazy color with little yeast pieces in it. Topped with an orange slice, smells like citrus, bread, wheat, coriander, and possibly a strong yeast smell....

mouthfeel is extremely sharp and sticks to the palate, i disliked the feeling but the taste overpowers it. it has an amazing citrus and bready taste with a strong wheat aftertaste. It is extremel light and easy to drink, just like coors to put this out.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

I am going to start my review by saying this was one of my gateway beers so I am kind of biased.
A- cloudy golden yellow with a pure white head that goes away too fast for my liking.
S-Really can smell the citrus in the nose of this one very zesty with a faint hint of hops.
T-Cold out of the tap with an orange slice its great but take away any of those things mentioned above and it falls off fast.
M- little too thin for me
D- this is my go to when I am at a bar that doesnt have a huge selection.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I love how the majority of the overly complex negatives reviews mention Coors as the maker of this beer. In sorry was I using two many words with over 6 letters in a row for you smucks to understand? This beer is simple, easy drinking. Of course it can not be compared to an import wit beer, because its not, and not meant to be. If you can find an import for $14 for a 24 box then by all means be my guest and go search. If you want to have a decent wit beer introduction or experience and don't want to pay $4 fr a bottle, then his is an excellent choice. Easy drinking, and smooth.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Blue moon 5.4 percent alcohol.
A very tasty beer.
Pours from a bottle to a light golden color. When poured slowly it has practically no head.
Smells like oranges and wheat
Taste: strong orange flavor at first, then a bit spice which finishes with a bold wheaty taste. The orange flavor is so strong it makes me wonder why its always served withan orange.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

I always find it hard to give a rating to a beer's appearance. I don't consider any appearance to be wrong or right or more appealing. Lace and head are thin. Color and clarity is a VERY cloudy yellow. Does that matter? no. Moving on...

Smell's like crap. Not that it smells especially foul or not beery, but the smell is weak, bland, and nothing tasty or particularly appealing. Smells mostly like typical cheap beer. It actually detracts from the drinking experience to have no nice smell. To some people it might SIGNIFICANTLY detract from their impressions of this beer. Did I get a bad can?

Tastes like nothing special. Maybe like a Shock Top Belgian White. Typical wheat beer taste and typical(?) mass-produced(?) belgian taste. Not [i]bad[/i], but nothing special or nice. Nothing remarkable except I suppose a fair bit of citrus. I guess there's the coriander or spice too, but frankly I didn't really notice either the spice nor the cirtus without looking for it, since it wasn't very strong, and is very typical to have for the style. No significant/special hops taste; the malt taste isn't anything great either. Has a mild doughy aftertaste, that is very mild, and not unpleasant.

Texture is nice. Not to overly carbonated or anything. This is one thing that was done well if you ask me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this has such a high rating. Aside from radlers, I typically rate beers a bit higher or significantly higher than their average rating, but not this one. Around 80 isn't an ESPECIALLY good rating, but it's still a solid "above simply good", and I disagree with that. It's good; It's DECENT. I didn't especially care for it though, despite my liking of Belgians and wheats. There are probably better options for most people, even on somewhat of a budget if you're willing to pay a small bit more.

I'm wondering if I got a bad beer [can], because other people are noting a more pleasant smell, and stronger taste.

4.04/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Review based on Orange slice added. Perfect refreshing summer beer. Fruity but not too hoppy to my disspointment. Certianly my favourite wheat beer and one of my go to's.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Cloudy in a good mellow yellow way. Very distinctive look to this beer. Very little head.

Smell: Fruit and wheat. Nice smell.

Taste:Fruit and wheat smell. Has a smell of its own. Its easy on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean for a cloudy beer.

Drinkability: Usually not my choice but I enjoyed it. Had one with a roast beef, potatoes and spinach dinner. Worked very well with food. Will have another.

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Pours a beautiful cloudy color with a thick head that disappears fairly quickly, the smell's slightly of wheat and citrus. Good taste, orange flavors come through very nicely with almost a buttery aftertaste. Mouth feel is very nice not a thick carbonation, somewhat creamy. A beer definitely built for a hot summer day, wouldn't have known that this beer was a Coors product under the guise of a micro-brew if i hadn't did some research first. Will buy again.

-RR

2.55/5  rDev -25%

I drank one beer as is and one with an orange wedge, the orange wedge improved the taste of the beer, but the review (to be fair) is of the beer alone like all my others.

Appearance - A bubbly, fizzy, and murky off-amber color that looks orange. On all of the pours only one had a head that was a thin collar that vanished shortly later. No lacing left at the end. This beer is highly carbonated but not as bad as some other macros or a soda.

Smell - Big on wheat and orange. The orange is a rind and cider kind of smell with all the appropriate hints of spice.

Taste - Similar to the smell. It leaves a metallic aftertaste that fades away to the usual macro lemon-rind. This beer is also surprisingly sweet, not in the good or fruity kind of way but like it was brewed with a lot of sugar. The orange rind made it more palatable but it also made it like an bitter orange soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy and tangy similar to a flavored tonic water. Light bodied and a smooth drink. Sadly this is the beer's best quality.

Drinkability - Well, its smooth and light like I mentioned in the mouthfeel so it isn't hard to drink but why bother? This is the kind of by the fire in the winter-time beer to warm you up but its not that enjoyable even in that setting. I felt gassy in-between sips.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%

A nice Coors product, great on hot days.
A translucent orange-ish body with a not very big head, not very attractive but not ugly either. Have it without the orange and you still can get the citrus aromas, that come along in the taste.
Refrshing on the mouth with a good amount of bubbles running around the tongue.
Best choice if there is nothing else to choose from.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Anyone familiar with Busch Gardens Williamsburg, will know that it is an idealized, romanticized picture of Europe that is not exactly accurate. However, most people that visit will never know the difference and the stereotyped depictions are an extremely fun escape. This is exactly what Blue Moon is for me. I love any hazy beer generally, and I love witbier particularly. That said, Blue Moon is a great beer for me, although I know it is nothing like the beer it is posing as, and I prefer the real thing to it.

First, this beer looks awesome. It is golden and cloudy, and has a nice head to it. I pour bottles into a chalice cup because I find that like many Belgian beers, it opens the beer up more and enhances the flavor.

The smell is classic. I find that Blue Moon is nowhere near as popular as it was 10 years ago, but the new crop of beer elitist do not know what they are missing. I find that Blue Moon has a very distinct appearance, smell, and flavor--if you see someone being taken one in bar, you know it is a Blue Moon; I cannot say that for any other beer. The smell is slightly bready with hints of orange and coriander coming through. Not something I want ever day, but certainly worth it from time to time.

Finally, the flavor is outstanding. It is a very decent beer and I find it unique. The taste is extremely complex but not overpowering. The spice goes well with the thickness of the beer, and I find it unbalanced in a good way. The beer has a milky texture and it is enhanced by the distinct flavor of the beer. It is fruity, but at the same time wheaty.

Overall, this is a fairly decent beer. I am not saying that it is the best witbeir out there, but it is a fun beer. Blue Moon is kind of like Guinness in the fact that it is one of a kind and to many, is an archetype of a style. This is what makes it a classic.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

American version of a witbier, that in Long Island NY has become all the rage. On one hand I am glad a Begian White - non-"normal" beer like Bud, Miller, etc - is becoming popular. On the otherhand, this is not a very good beer. I find it quite ordinary. The fruity smell/taste is a bit overpowering for me. Must be coriander or the like. And the normal serving is to put a slice of orange in it, which to me makes it even more fruity in a bad way. I find that if I drink more than 3 of these I start getting an unpleasant aftertaste. Hours afterwards I still have that fruity taste in my mouth. Again, it is an average beer, not horrible, but I would much rather drink another Belgian White, or a good hefeweizen.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Blue Moon Belgian White is our "fancy" beer for when my friends and I want to sit around and drink rather than sit around and get drunk. I drank it out of the bottle this time but it pours a hazy orangey color. Its smells of oranges or something else citrus. As soon as it is in your mouth orange hits your palate and all is good in the world. Blue Moon Belgian White is a delicious beer and I would recommend this beer to anyone.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

I may be a bit biased with this report due to the fact that I am not usually a huge fan of Witbier (IPA all the way). However I was pleasantly surprised that a company such as Coors could produce such a crisp, refreshing, and even (dare I say it), high quality beer at such a huge production rate. The coriander and orange are both evident in the nose and on the palate. An easy introduction into the world of craft beers for those use to drinking cheap swill from the "Big Guys".

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a pilsner glass.

Aroma: Grainy, wheat aroma with a spice/herb background (coriander) and some sweetness.

Appearance: Medium straw color. Three finger (plus), cream color head that slowly dissipates with some trail. Somewhat cloudy (translucent) with some visible rising bubbles.

Flavor: Slight sweetness with a light orange/fruity note. Some spice in background. Slight dryness at finish, though not lingering.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body with fairly high carbonation. Light creaminess on palate.

Overall Impressions: Not a ton of flavor (at least without the added orange slice). Smooth and refreshing, making for a decent beer for warm weather drinking.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company