Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,613 | Ratings: 6,715
3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The pour is a cloudy orange color with a small white head on top. Fairly typical for a witbier.

S: A very intense citrus smell fills the nostrils on the first sniff. Further investigation gives off some slight spice notes, but the orange is really hard to get past.

T: Like the aroma, the primary sensation on the tongue is the orange flavor. The spice is absent for the most part with the exception of a hint on the aftertaste. The finish has a slight bitterness to it.

M: The body is medium with a moderate and tingly carbonation.

D: This beer is probably responsible for the "serve an orange with your wheat beer" trend here in the US. The beer is decent enough, but an overly powerful orange flavor and aroma is just a bit much for me.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this on draft at Pesce in Swatara, PA.
Served cool in a standard pint.
A - A slightly hazed golden w/ amber highlights and a thin white head. The head leaves random spots of lace.

S - A creamy wheat odor, like cereal w/ a tinge o' spice. A slightly sweet butterscotch smell that didn't seem to belong.

M - A mild medium bodied ale w/ creamy smoothness and moderate carbonation.

T - A gentle taste of almost milky wheat w/ light butterscotch flavor and a slightly nutty taste. There is a slight citrus that lingers in the background.

D - A very average wit, I can take it or leave it. I am not sure if the pint I had was the freshest as I have had it and enjoyed it slightly better in the bottle. It sometimes is the best beer available where I live, so I don't avoid it. All in all a fairly average wit, okay for summer quaffing.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a hazy straw color with a 1/2" white head. A little head retention & better lacing

S: Wheat malt & hints of orange peel

T: Wheat malt then, coriander & orange peel. A hint of grass follows. Finishes tart & quenching

MF: Light/medium bodied, spritzy & in balance

Drinks pretty easy, doesn't say Belgium, but not bad & better than some higher browed efforts I've seen

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a chilled mug at The Tombs, complete with an orange slice.

Figured I'd revisit the past a bit and rock some Blue Moon (sans Platters). It pours a hazy orange straw topped by less than half a finger of white micro-foam (I blame the orange slice). The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and orange peel, all kinda weak, but still definitely wit-y. The taste follows along a similar vein, with notes of coriander, some cardamom, some light hoppy bitters, and a weird harsh orange/other citrus bite that leans toward lime territory. Were it not for that last part, this wouldn't be all that bad. The body is light, with a fizzy carbonation and a feel I can really only describe with the less-than-helpful term "wet". Overall, nowhere near a great wit, but they don't all have to be Oscar Wilde...it's still pretty drinkable...and nicely cheap.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz brown long twist off bottle, ink jet date printed above the label but you would not know if it is a best before or a brew on date.

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a creamy tiny bubbled lace, vague citrus peel hits the nose with a soft bluntness also.

Smell: Soft lemony fermented wheat twang, hint of coriander with a powdery yeast undertone in the aroma.

Taste: Moderate body, smooth and creamy with a light malt crispness which mostly comes from the wheat. Big burst of sweetness at first from the malt and coriander, hops are distant and let the spices be dominant throughout. A very well manufactured texture makes up for the loss in depth of the vague spices other than coriander. Hints of citric peel and light pepper corns find their way to the taste buds. Neutral powdery yeast creeps it way to the flavour threshold. Crisp wheat is very refreshing and seems to linger for ever and evolves into an increasingly crisp and semi dry finish.

Notes: Somewhat sweeter and softer than other Belgian Style White Ales, not bad at all but does lack some depth.

A good beer to bring to parties, seems to be the cool or fashionable beer to have around for some people that still think micro brew is a fad. Everyone that buys this beer that I know did not even have a clue that it was a Coors product.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a cloudy medium straw yellow in color with some orange highlights and moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall dense light off-white head that slowly reduces to thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a medium sized thick patch and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of wheat and some lighter notes of orange citrus.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste of the beer has moderate wheat flavors with some lighter notes of orange. Very light notes of spices in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very subtle hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Extremely easy to drink and sessionable - this is a great gateway beer for introducing folks to a different style than BMC American Adjunct Lagers. Enjoyable and refreshing.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer is a hazy light orange, with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly leaving behind a thin layer of white foam on top. There is some nice lacing initially, but it fades quickly.

S: Pretty closed, some light fruit, mostly lemon, wheat, and a little bit of clove and other spices.

T: Very zesty, orange and lemon, with a decent amount of spices. Cloves and coriander are present as well as some wheat and a light malt bill.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation. Crisp and pretty refreshing.

O: It was ok. Probably one of the best beers that Coors makes, but its not saying much. There will probably always be something available that I would prefer to drink.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Well, I am not going to give this a rating based on the if you look at who brews it then it's pretty good. I don't care who manufactured this beer, I am convinced after having in the bottle, CO2 pressured keg, and good old keg party tap. If you look at this one in the glass it pours a cloudy orangish gold hue with a creamy carrot tinted head that is rather pleasant in appearance and taste. It's aroma is primarily coriander (orange peel), but the wheat based goodness also comes alive with every inhalation. The taste is a sweet version of a classic style that a mass production company acually put some care into to bring out a decent white beer. For that reason I have respect for this beer, definitely something I would always give a tasting to. Very drinkable this is a great beer that I will enjoy again and again.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

"Buy the Blue Moon," she said. "It's less corporate."

Her boyfriend was about to acquiesce. Thankfully, yours truly intervened and saved the day.

"Blue Moon is brewed by Coors."

"Oh, really? Thanks man."

Pours a clouded orange. Small white head. Nose is dirty and kind of skunky. Flavor is citrus and grass. A little too dirty on the backside though. Feel has a decent carbonation to it and the liquid body is a tad thin. Overall not bad for a mass production. But certainly won't go down as my favorite witbier of all time.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Best by 12/17

Poured clouded light yellow with a thin, fairly well-retained, white head.
The smell was thin, but inoffensive. Some hints at orange and coriander.
The taste was also thin, but inoffensive. A bit too watery. Orange and coriander were noticeable. The flavors didn't stick around too long.
It was mainly watery with a hint of refreshing creaminess. It's nothing special, a bit weak, pretty easy to drink and not bad. Nothing special, either.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Hazy, pale orangish color...decent white head.

Nose is most impressive, buzzing with citrus, and spice, almost perfumey, a delightful aroma, just right for a witbier.

Served with lemon, in this case, which I had to manually extrude from the pint glass's brim. Would have gone better with the fish dinner this accompanied.

At the fore, really tasty, full with fruit, big blast of hops, but somehow a touch sour, left me puzzled and dissatisfied. Produced a pucker on the palate, a tightness on the tongue.

Flavor sags some in the middle, too. It acts just like a witbier at the beginning, then quits halfway through, and I'm saddened by the paucity of body and texture...doesn't fail all the way, though, there's still some remnants of that spicey, fruity flavor, but they're too, too faint. Little finish, and once done, I'd forgotten what had happpened.

Followed this with a pint of Bell's Oberon, which bore none of those failings.
I can only be glad of the popularity of this particular beer, for at least these folks are trying something different. It's a pity, though, that so many think that they're actually drinking a product of Belgium, and I hope they move on to better beers.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at a chain restaurant tonight.
Pours a cloudy deep straw color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of spice, sweet malts, a bit of orange and a little wheat tang. The flavor is mild with sweet malts offset with a bit of orange, lemon, and spice. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Not much of a wit beer, but certainly easy enough to drink if not just a tad on the boring side.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a pale orangeish yellow with 1/4" of head that fades quickly. Smells yeasty with just a hint of citrus and spice. Taste is light wheat, yeast, mild spice, and a hint of orange. Light, smooth, and well carbonated; easy drinking.

Overall, it's a weak translation of a Belgian classic. For a Coors brand its really good, but for a witbier it leaves a lot to be desired.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Boy it's been ages since I had one of these. Poured into a Hoegarden glass.

A very surprising orange body color, deep and a mix of light peach color, through a classic unfiltered body. Head comes up creamy and standard, two fingers with some retention. Falls though a little quickly. Not too bad looking, but considerably darker than most witbiers I've had.

Nose is interesting. Orange juice. Not much malt presence or sense of spice. Clean. kind of neutral and inoffensive. A strange hiding acidic sense in the background. Fairly alright.

Palate is pretty much, well, pretty much neutral. Much of the flavor seems to come in the finish. Aftertaste brings some creamy senses of milk, and lots of orange quality. Tang like, with a little bit of fizz, but some decent body to make the flavor come forward. Strangely though, there's no sense of of herb or citrus freshness to this, or more importantly any malt depth.

Overall it's a very inoffensive brew, but for style wise there is so much better out there. Where is the grain behind this? It's beer Tang strangely enough but is pretty easy drinking.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Seriously, in a can. Beer is yellow and hazy with a soft white head, minimal lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma contains oranges, some spices some wheat, mild sweetness.

Beer is thin and sweet up front with a nice finish of some wheat aftertaste to it. The beer is easy going down and one of these fake craft beers that is forced on the masses in great supply. This is probably the first time i've ever had it and for a witbier, it was decent.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a hazy, opaque, orange-yellow coloring with a fluffy, light, bright white head. Aromas of citrus and bready yeast, light and balanced, but nothing special sticking out to me. Flavors are bready, with a clove spicing and citrus highlight. Well blended, but the carbonation and spicing makes it slightly sharp in mouth. Fruity, effervescent aftertaste that is bordering on overly sweet. Frothy, carbonated finish. The flavors just don't hold up enough against the light, carbonated body. Meh.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, twist off top. Pours a dull soft light brownish orange color, cloudy and just a bit of lacing. Nose is a bit unpleasant, sort of a sharp solventy smell. Head dissolves to a tiny bubble sheen. Notes of yeast,spice, coriander, a hint of soap, cream cycle ice cream pop. So so wit, its so widely available, probably a good beginner beer to turn a newbie on to. I try to avoid Coors products, cuz of their politics...I'll continue to avoid this one in the future

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%

Real men dont add fruit to their beer...F that!!! Blue Moon Belgium White is AWESOME with a little kiss from a slice of orange. If anyone says different then they are not telling the truth!!! Just like history teachers who don't believe that Harry Belafonte started the Civil War!!!

This beer is golden cloudy in color, the scent is somewhat weak....but hey it is a SESSION beer BABY!!!!

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Rated without an orange in the glass

A – Deep orange apricot. Pours a foamy, pure white head with great retention and nice lace.

S – Sweet orange marmalade, lemon zest, and a nice bready wheat. Touch of gingerbread cookie.

T – Biscuity malt throught. The center is loaded with orange and a honey-like sweetness. The sweetness is a little too much, but it manages to pull up just shy of syrupy. Light orange pith bitter on the backend.

M – Super smooth, almost silky. Shade under carbonated.

O – Could use a bit more brightness up front (although I guess that’s why they drop a citrus slice in the glass… still would have liked to have seen it in the beer and not in the adjunct), and balanced a shade too sweet. Overall though, I have to say that it was better than I expected when I sat down to rate the glass.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Consumed in October 2004 from a bottle purchased at Trader Joes.
Ahhhh, it figures; a Coors product. I have had a few of these and never was impressed and now the true light comes out. I had one left from the six pack, which is actually kinda old. Maybe 8 months kinda old. But, seeing that it is a Coors product, I don't think it's going to make a difference. Pours with a small head that is gone in a flash. Zero, zilch, nil lacing anywhere. Kinda of a brownish-orange color with chunks of yeast all over the place. In fact, if anybody has seen the movie Strange Brew....you know when the dog starts drinking the beer from his dog dish, then they throw him a donught to get him away from the beer because it was their dad's last beer. Then they poured what was left from the dog dish into a glass? That's what this beer looks like. Maybe not as much chunky dog food, but looks pretty nasty nonetheless. Smells at least decent. Smells of wheat, maybe a hop somewhere. Tastes like wheat, coriander, maybe some citrus in there. A little pepper or some kind of spicyness. Kinda flat also. Not awful, but pretty lame. Don't even want to look at it with all those floating things. Naaa, I'll pass on this one.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never seen this beer in the Houston area so I just had to pick it up while in San Antonio. Belgian White's appearance is a hazy golden orange with a nice foamy head. The aroma is of wheat with a zesty lemon smell. Taste is similar to the aroma, wheat with a lemon taste. The mouthfeel is crisp and assertive. Drinkability is very good. A rare beer by one of the big 3 that I recommend to all.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

On-tap at Chuck's in Syracuse.

The smell is a little unappealing, too sweet. The flavor, however, was surprisingly complex with berries, orange, and corriander. It's not dumbed down like you'd expect in a macro beer of any type. The body is a touch thick for a witbeer, but this really isn't a bad beer at all.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The aroma is weak, but has the wit smell to it; fruity yeast and wheat scents. The taste is also a bit tame, but has all the qualities of a wit. It is sweet with pale wheat malts and that wit yeast. It is refreshing and goes down with ease. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a decent wit, but fails to reach the level of a true Belgian style.

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into pint glass.

Smell of citrus, lemon, flower, hops.
Relatively good head at first. Laced a bit.
Color was hazy yellow/gold.
Taste was lemon, hops, some malt, grapefruit? A good summer beer. Some put a lemon wedge in it, I don't. It's lemon enough...and too sweet. Fruit Loops anyone
Residual sugars are too much

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company