Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Ratings: 6,917 |  Reviews: 1,650
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this on draft at Pesce in Swatara, PA.
Served cool in a standard pint.
A - A slightly hazed golden w/ amber highlights and a thin white head. The head leaves random spots of lace.

S - A creamy wheat odor, like cereal w/ a tinge o' spice. A slightly sweet butterscotch smell that didn't seem to belong.

M - A mild medium bodied ale w/ creamy smoothness and moderate carbonation.

T - A gentle taste of almost milky wheat w/ light butterscotch flavor and a slightly nutty taste. There is a slight citrus that lingers in the background.

D - A very average wit, I can take it or leave it. I am not sure if the pint I had was the freshest as I have had it and enjoyed it slightly better in the bottle. It sometimes is the best beer available where I live, so I don't avoid it. All in all a fairly average wit, okay for summer quaffing.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz brown long twist off bottle, ink jet date printed above the label but you would not know if it is a best before or a brew on date.

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a creamy tiny bubbled lace, vague citrus peel hits the nose with a soft bluntness also.

Smell: Soft lemony fermented wheat twang, hint of coriander with a powdery yeast undertone in the aroma.

Taste: Moderate body, smooth and creamy with a light malt crispness which mostly comes from the wheat. Big burst of sweetness at first from the malt and coriander, hops are distant and let the spices be dominant throughout. A very well manufactured texture makes up for the loss in depth of the vague spices other than coriander. Hints of citric peel and light pepper corns find their way to the taste buds. Neutral powdery yeast creeps it way to the flavour threshold. Crisp wheat is very refreshing and seems to linger for ever and evolves into an increasingly crisp and semi dry finish.

Notes: Somewhat sweeter and softer than other Belgian Style White Ales, not bad at all but does lack some depth.

A good beer to bring to parties, seems to be the cool or fashionable beer to have around for some people that still think micro brew is a fad. Everyone that buys this beer that I know did not even have a clue that it was a Coors product.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never seen this beer in the Houston area so I just had to pick it up while in San Antonio. Belgian White's appearance is a hazy golden orange with a nice foamy head. The aroma is of wheat with a zesty lemon smell. Taste is similar to the aroma, wheat with a lemon taste. The mouthfeel is crisp and assertive. Drinkability is very good. A rare beer by one of the big 3 that I recommend to all.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The pour is a cloudy orange color with a small white head on top. Fairly typical for a witbier.

S: A very intense citrus smell fills the nostrils on the first sniff. Further investigation gives off some slight spice notes, but the orange is really hard to get past.

T: Like the aroma, the primary sensation on the tongue is the orange flavor. The spice is absent for the most part with the exception of a hint on the aftertaste. The finish has a slight bitterness to it.

M: The body is medium with a moderate and tingly carbonation.

D: This beer is probably responsible for the "serve an orange with your wheat beer" trend here in the US. The beer is decent enough, but an overly powerful orange flavor and aroma is just a bit much for me.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Rated without an orange in the glass

A – Deep orange apricot. Pours a foamy, pure white head with great retention and nice lace.

S – Sweet orange marmalade, lemon zest, and a nice bready wheat. Touch of gingerbread cookie.

T – Biscuity malt throught. The center is loaded with orange and a honey-like sweetness. The sweetness is a little too much, but it manages to pull up just shy of syrupy. Light orange pith bitter on the backend.

M – Super smooth, almost silky. Shade under carbonated.

O – Could use a bit more brightness up front (although I guess that’s why they drop a citrus slice in the glass… still would have liked to have seen it in the beer and not in the adjunct), and balanced a shade too sweet. Overall though, I have to say that it was better than I expected when I sat down to rate the glass.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a chilled mug at The Tombs, complete with an orange slice.

Figured I'd revisit the past a bit and rock some Blue Moon (sans Platters). It pours a hazy orange straw topped by less than half a finger of white micro-foam (I blame the orange slice). The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and orange peel, all kinda weak, but still definitely wit-y. The taste follows along a similar vein, with notes of coriander, some cardamom, some light hoppy bitters, and a weird harsh orange/other citrus bite that leans toward lime territory. Were it not for that last part, this wouldn't be all that bad. The body is light, with a fizzy carbonation and a feel I can really only describe with the less-than-helpful term "wet". Overall, nowhere near a great wit, but they don't all have to be Oscar Wilde...it's still pretty drinkable...and nicely cheap.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Well, I am not going to give this a rating based on the if you look at who brews it then it's pretty good. I don't care who manufactured this beer, I am convinced after having in the bottle, CO2 pressured keg, and good old keg party tap. If you look at this one in the glass it pours a cloudy orangish gold hue with a creamy carrot tinted head that is rather pleasant in appearance and taste. It's aroma is primarily coriander (orange peel), but the wheat based goodness also comes alive with every inhalation. The taste is a sweet version of a classic style that a mass production company acually put some care into to bring out a decent white beer. For that reason I have respect for this beer, definitely something I would always give a tasting to. Very drinkable this is a great beer that I will enjoy again and again.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at a chain restaurant tonight.
Pours a cloudy deep straw color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of spice, sweet malts, a bit of orange and a little wheat tang. The flavor is mild with sweet malts offset with a bit of orange, lemon, and spice. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Not much of a wit beer, but certainly easy enough to drink if not just a tad on the boring side.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%

Real men dont add fruit to their beer...F that!!! Blue Moon Belgium White is AWESOME with a little kiss from a slice of orange. If anyone says different then they are not telling the truth!!! Just like history teachers who don't believe that Harry Belafonte started the Civil War!!!

This beer is golden cloudy in color, the scent is somewhat weak....but hey it is a SESSION beer BABY!!!!

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a pale orangeish yellow with 1/4" of head that fades quickly. Smells yeasty with just a hint of citrus and spice. Taste is light wheat, yeast, mild spice, and a hint of orange. Light, smooth, and well carbonated; easy drinking.

Overall, it's a weak translation of a Belgian classic. For a Coors brand its really good, but for a witbier it leaves a lot to be desired.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company