Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White
3.41/5
Okay
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Witbier

Also know as Belgian Moon in Alberta & British Columbia

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Ratings: 7,223 |  Reviews: 1,688
3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

3.65/5  rDev +7%

Poured a hazy straw color with a 1/2" white head. A little head retention & better lacing

S: Wheat malt & hints of orange peel

T: Wheat malt then, coriander & orange peel. A hint of grass follows. Finishes tart & quenching

MF: Light/medium bodied, spritzy & in balance

Drinks pretty easy, doesn't say Belgium, but not bad & better than some higher browed efforts I've seen

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%

Real men dont add fruit to their beer...F that!!! Blue Moon Belgium White is AWESOME with a little kiss from a slice of orange. If anyone says different then they are not telling the truth!!! Just like history teachers who don't believe that Harry Belafonte started the Civil War!!!

This beer is golden cloudy in color, the scent is somewhat weak....but hey it is a SESSION beer BABY!!!!

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy, dull, golden-orange body with a small, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Notes of orangey citrus and perky spices infuse the wheaty nose of Blue Moon.

Taste: Tangy, lightly creamy malted wheat. A taste of citrus zest and a fair dose of spice interrupts the brief sweetness. Light, spicy hops and bitterness provides a bit of balance. Finishes tangy with a light, lingering hint of spice and orange.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium, fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: It certainly has some stuff going for it. It's very easily available, rather drinkable, relatively inexpensive, and isn't altogether dreadful.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer is a hazy light orange, with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly leaving behind a thin layer of white foam on top. There is some nice lacing initially, but it fades quickly.

S: Pretty closed, some light fruit, mostly lemon, wheat, and a little bit of clove and other spices.

T: Very zesty, orange and lemon, with a decent amount of spices. Cloves and coriander are present as well as some wheat and a light malt bill.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation. Crisp and pretty refreshing.

O: It was ok. Probably one of the best beers that Coors makes, but its not saying much. There will probably always be something available that I would prefer to drink.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Gauzy yellow-amber with a bone white head that looks soft and doesn't leave any lace. Beer color: nailed it. Head/lace: missed nail, hit thumb. The nose has a trace amount of Belgian yeastiness. It's spicy-earthy, but a musty graininess is still evident. Not bad, not good.

The flavor doesn't cut it. The beer tastes like a macro lager that is trying desperately to be something else, namely a Belgian wit. I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to break this down. Let's just say that it's a grain-like malty, slightly sour, mildly sweet beer with the suggestion of spice. The body/mouthfeel is average at best. On a good note, it doesn't lose focus at the end of the mouthful or at the end of the bottle.

Blue Moon isn't offensive, but that's hardly a recommendation. I will say that it's the best Coors product--and maybe even the best BMC product--that I've had yet.

3.65/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz brown long twist off bottle, ink jet date printed above the label but you would not know if it is a best before or a brew on date.

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a creamy tiny bubbled lace, vague citrus peel hits the nose with a soft bluntness also.

Smell: Soft lemony fermented wheat twang, hint of coriander with a powdery yeast undertone in the aroma.

Taste: Moderate body, smooth and creamy with a light malt crispness which mostly comes from the wheat. Big burst of sweetness at first from the malt and coriander, hops are distant and let the spices be dominant throughout. A very well manufactured texture makes up for the loss in depth of the vague spices other than coriander. Hints of citric peel and light pepper corns find their way to the taste buds. Neutral powdery yeast creeps it way to the flavour threshold. Crisp wheat is very refreshing and seems to linger for ever and evolves into an increasingly crisp and semi dry finish.

Notes: Somewhat sweeter and softer than other Belgian Style White Ales, not bad at all but does lack some depth.

A good beer to bring to parties, seems to be the cool or fashionable beer to have around for some people that still think micro brew is a fad. Everyone that buys this beer that I know did not even have a clue that it was a Coors product.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

I had this on draft at Pesce in Swatara, PA.
Served cool in a standard pint.
A - A slightly hazed golden w/ amber highlights and a thin white head. The head leaves random spots of lace.

S - A creamy wheat odor, like cereal w/ a tinge o' spice. A slightly sweet butterscotch smell that didn't seem to belong.

M - A mild medium bodied ale w/ creamy smoothness and moderate carbonation.

T - A gentle taste of almost milky wheat w/ light butterscotch flavor and a slightly nutty taste. There is a slight citrus that lingers in the background.

D - A very average wit, I can take it or leave it. I am not sure if the pint I had was the freshest as I have had it and enjoyed it slightly better in the bottle. It sometimes is the best beer available where I live, so I don't avoid it. All in all a fairly average wit, okay for summer quaffing.

2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

Well here we have a macro trying out the Belgian flavors. Good intentions I have to admit. If we could get more people tuned Belgians, left would be much nicer. Poured a very pale amber with a big frothy white head, which hung around for a couple minutes, just long enough to leave a little bit of lace on the glass. Visible carbonation inside made this look lively and not bad at all. Smell was light, but did have some sublte fragrences that suprised me a bit. Of course there was a large amount of bread and grain smells to get through, but once you do there are some hints at fruitness. Maybe some plum, dark fruits definate here, and some spice. Not at all bad, could be stronger, and the huge amount of malt to get through to find it made it hard. The taste was very clean. Light smooth mouthfeel, and generous carbonation made it feel fine going down. Taste was a bit different. Hints of spices and a tiny bit of fruit trying to fight against the grain here. Low ABV and light feel made this highly drinkable. Overall this was not as bad as I thought, but then again not as good as it could have been. If they keep experimenting they may be onto something, I just hope I dont see BUD DIPA!

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 3.41 out of 5 with 7,223 ratings