Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,612 | Ratings: 6,697
2.45/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had this on-tap at Bennigan's in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

A: Yellow-straw, opaque haze, no head or lace.

S: Mild aroma: Pineapple, pepper, light clove, hint of banana.

T: Wheat, lemon, slight hint of cloves.

M: Moderate body, moderately-high carbonation (too much, but this could be the fault of the restaurant).

D: It's not bad, but I didn't finish it.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Best by 12/17

Poured clouded light yellow with a thin, fairly well-retained, white head.
The smell was thin, but inoffensive. Some hints at orange and coriander.
The taste was also thin, but inoffensive. A bit too watery. Orange and coriander were noticeable. The flavors didn't stick around too long.
It was mainly watery with a hint of refreshing creaminess. It's nothing special, a bit weak, pretty easy to drink and not bad. Nothing special, either.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A pretty decent Witbier. Definetly the best that Coors has to offer. Had with a lice of orange that really brings out the citrus small and aroma, or it could have just been the orange. Cloudy color with a decent white head. Mouthfeel was pretty good however i really dont think i could sit and drink a bunch of these in a row, just doesnt have that ability.

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle. It was a deep straw/golden color. The head was small, even though I poured it vigorously. The head dissipated quickly. The smell is a slight bit skunky. This taste is a bit on the bland side with a little bit of a bite at the end. The mouthfeel is clean and a little watery. I'd consider this a drinkable beer and perhaps refreshing if served extra cold on a hot day.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Got a glass of this ontap at a bar last night. I hadn't had this beer in a really long time before having it last night. There was a head for about 5 seconds after being drawn from the tap. It was my first time having this beer on tap. After that it had about zero head or lacing to speak of. I thought this to be quite odd indeed. I found the glass I had to be average at best in just about everyway. It also smelled and tasted sort of skunked. I was almost surprised I was able to finish the entire beer. Taste and smell wise it reminded me a bit of lemons or lemonade, which is not a bad thing. Funny because I never remember this beer being that bad any of the other times I have had it. It makes me want to get a bottle of this beer soon so can I see if I like the beer any better from the bottle. Besides the negative qualities listed above it had some nice fruity hints in both taste and smell as well as a bit of yeats or malt, a hint of wheat. The taste was also sort of bland and watery. No aromas or other hints of spice present, as is usually the case with witbiers. It had a somewhat crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is ok. I'll have to try this one again, only out of the bottle next time before I truly make up my mind about how I feel about this beer.

Eric

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy whitish-yellow-peach color, with a bubbly head that dissipates quite fast.

Smell: An interesting lemony scent, with a bit of other fruits as well (peach?). A bit yeast aroma is present as well. Doesn't really have the spicy/peppery smell of other white ales.

Taste: A bit of orange and yeast... pretty bland. Really not much here!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied feel. The biggest problem is the carbonation -- it's excessive, feels artificial, and is way too tingly.

Drinkability: It's perfectly drinkable -- nothing bad to the taste, I guess, and the alcohol isn't anything excessive -- but you'll have to bear the mediocrity and the carbonation that can make it a bit hard to swallow.

Overall, a mediocre beer. It looks ok and smells so-so, but the taste is just worthless. Hardly a Belgian white ale, when it comes to smell, taste, and mouthfeel. It has none of the subtlety, spicyness, or feel. Yet somehow it's very popular. Stay away, and get a Hoegaarden instead.

1.96/5  rDev -42.4%

This review is a review of the Molson-brewed version of Blue Moon. Shortly after Coors and Molson merged, they stopped brewing this beer in Memphis, Tennessee, changed the recipe, and started brewing it in Canada at a Molson brewery. Since then:

-Less wheat is used. The head is not as foamy and not as pure white. Color of the beer is darker than it used to be. It is also less hazy.

-The wrong yeast is used. It now tastes like Hefeweizen yeast.

-A different mix of hops is used. The finish, in particular, is different. It is sharper than it used to be. The finish reminds me of pilsener hopping.

-Less coriander and orange flavor are present. There is a difference between old beer where the flavor and smell have faded and beer where less is used. You can barely taste and smell the orange peel and coriander.

-Mouthfeel is entirely different. This new recipe seems more acidic than the old one, and more thin.

The new, Molson-brewed version of this beer is more like Erdinger Schnee-Weisse (a spiced winter Hefeweizen) than a Belgian Witbier. Bear in mind that it is with great sadness that I write this poor review, because the previous recipe of Blue Moon was my favorite American beer. I ranked the old recipe as second only to Hoegaarden Witbier, and even above some other Belgian Witbiers, like Brugges. Unfortunately, the new Molson-brewed Blue Moon is not a Witbier at all.

Perhaps Sam Adams will fix their Witbier recipe and put it in regular distribution?

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured into a Hennipen glass.

A-Hazy golden orange beer. 3/4" white head fades to zero head in seconds.
S-Oranges. Coriander. Some French candy from childhood that came in a round tin (pastilles?) morphes into some too-sweet American Easter chicks. I once left a moving blanket on the ground over the winter, when I peeled it off of the grass, there was a moldy smell of decay; some of that is hinted at here, too.
T-Slight orange fruity taste. Moldy cardboard. Cheap perfume.
M-Fair carbonation. Thin.
D-One is more than enough. 11 left in the 12-pack? Crap.

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. Maybe it's better on-tap?

4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer pours cloudy without a lot of head retention. It smells very nicely when you drink it, the smell complements the flavor. Taste is very nice and sweet, but lacks some complexity. Mouthfeel is light but very fulfilling. I could drink one after the other. Very nice and sweet when you feel like having a sweet beer.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%

I know, I know...it's a coors product. But the beer is pretty good. Are there better wits? Of course, but on a hot day this beer holds up well. Fruity and wheaty with no hops really detected. Sweet and slightly malty, with the only bad part, over carbonated. That being said, it looks pretty average is thin in the body, but so are most wits and it is extremely tasty and drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

I first had this Beer on tap at one of those restaraunts that requires the wait staff to wear pieces of "flare" and later bought a six pack to try it again. The appearance is cloudy gold with a white head that is completely gone is short order. It smells, as expected, of citrus zest and wheat. The taste is sweet citrus and subdued wheat with no hoppiness to speak of. It is thin in body, but finishes crisp and refreshing. I think this beer catches a lot of negativity because it is a Coors product. However, I found it to be very drinkable and it serves it's purpose for what it is - A clean quenching Summer Beer.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured to a nice golden color, hazy as expected. Unfortunately, the faomy white head dissipated alomost immediately. This was very light, with a hint of fruit, but no aroma that I could detect. My wife would probably enjoy this, especially ion a warm summer night, but I want more beer taste.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

I had this beer at a local restaurant (because there was nothing else). I was pleased with my choice. It was served very cold the waitress said 36F. It poured and looked like what I would expect from a wheat beer. Cloudy and a pale golden color. The scent was that of citrus and hops nothing that just blew my world. The small off white head ( about 1/2") was completely gone in less than 10 seconds. The taste was consistant with the style I felt that the strong citrus taste on the first sip was a bit much but it was more subdued on the following sips. The mouthfeel it was a very watery but smooth not bad but nothing special. I would drink this beer again. It went very well with the pasta I had last night and I think it would be very good on a hot summer day.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this on tap aftet drinking many bottles of this stuff.

This beer came with an orange slice which I quickly removed from the rim of the glass.
A hazy lighter amber body sits under a light and small white head.
Smell is not much besides slight citrus and wheat beer smell.
Taste is rather smooth with a crisp citrus to it.
Mouthfeel is pretty smooth though nothing great.
Drinkingability is very good.

This is a good fallback beer and cheaper than most wheat beers. Go for this one if only BMC is available and you'll be happy.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

The best before date on this one is Oct 06. Looked just like another pale wheat beer. It has a bland wheat flavour without being creamy, and a putrid yeast taste. Slightly dryer than the average wheat beer. The mouthfeel was alright. In general, the quality of this beer is not up to the average Belgian wheat beer.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

This is a relevantly easy to find OK beer when choices are limited. Not at all bad for drinking while BBQing during summer. The smell is indistinct. It pours a golden wheat color.

Finnish taste is definitely that of a wheat beer. This would not be my top pick in a good pub, but it is not a bad back pocket beer when the picks are limited.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

Looks like you're pouring straw into the glass. Didn't notice much of a scent on this one. There was a wheaty flavor and slight fruitiness, but nothing distinguishable. Fairly light in the mouthfeel department. Pretty drinkable for its lightness, but not a beer I'll be ordering again unless all the other choices are worse.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

This is a questionable beer, I understand how it can be a crossover beer for some, but outside of that, I don't think it's as good as most other brews. Pours out to a cloudy yellow gold color with a large head of white foam that remained consistant. Aroma of wet cardboard and hints of citrus and wheat. Taste is acceptable, yet devoid of any truely enjoyable quality; mild maltiness and grain, mixed with artificial citrus flavors make for a fairly interesting experience, yet not an overly joyful affair. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly, but ultimately average. Drinkablilty is fair. I don't think i'll be back for more

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Deep yellow, with an orangish glow. Small head, with small traces of lacing.

S - Smell is of candied malt, and citrus.

T - Taste is at first overwhelmed at first by a citrusy wave, smoothes out to a slight tangy/bitter aftertaste. All while maintaining it's crispness.

M - Carbonated, and light on the palate.

D - Drinkability is decent, as on a hot day, you could have a few of these.

Not a great example of the style. But, not a bad beer in it's own right. Good thirst quencher and quite smooth. Average all around, and the best Coors brewing has to offer.

1.14/5  rDev -66.5%

Can't remember the details since this was not memorable in a favorable way. What does stick in my head was that it smelled like cheap perfume, and tasted like I would imagine cheap perfume would taste. I do recall that I could not / would not finish the one bottle I tried, something that I have never had the displeasure of experiencing with any other beer. The remainder of the six pack my sister purchased is still in my parents' fridge, and there it will remain until they pour it out on the parched turf here in GA, where there is a watering restriction. I figure the grass will drink anything about now.

2.18/5  rDev -35.9%

Had this beer on tap, poured into standard pint glass. The beer is a cloudy light yellow. The head is white, but fades fast and leaves no sign of lace. Thin mouthfeel. Fruity but bland, slight pineapple, orange, lemon flavors, no hop presence, no malt presence. From what I have gathered this beer is made by Coors and marketed as a microbrew, but has a lot to be desired, not worth another pint.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy pineapple juice yellow, with pale orange hues. The head dissipated so fast I couldn't see it's color, I'll assume it was white.

Smell: This beer smells like peach. If I try hard I can smell some faint grains.

Taste: Notes of apricot and peach, , citrus, tart and dryness towards the middle and finish. Mild hoppy residue left on the palate, a little herbal and spicy. Couldn't get any malty flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and semi carbonated, slips down your throat, cleans the mouth and leaves a little bit of flavor.

Drinkability: Interesting brew, not horrible, not what I expected. It almost seems like an apricot ale attempt. Not very spicy or herbal or wheaty. I can see this being good with some fruit cocktails or something light.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Had on-tap at Miller's Ale House in Orlando. Unfiltered cloudy orange colored with citrus peel, slight coriander and yeast in the nose. Taste is smooth and come across very sweet. Citrus peel and coriander dominate the taste but I can not get past the sweetness of this brew. Overall not a very good representation of a belgian witbier.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a orange-yellow color with a white head. Slightly hazy. The head fades rather quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is citrusy, orange and lemon. Taste is slightly tart. Not extraordinary, not bad.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Drinkability is serviceable. I could have a couple of these without trouble. This is a beer I generally buy due to its popularity with my friends - they love that I'll buy their favorite beer for them. What they may not realize is that it is lower cost than my favorite. ;-)

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a bright, cloudy orange. Lots of carbonation, but a very small head which quickly fades into nothing. It looks more like an orange soda than a beer. Hope it doesn't contaminate my Hoegaarden glass.

At least it smells better than it looks. Tarty citrus lemon and orange.

Very light flavor. A little tangy fruit taste, some wheat, and that's about it. It's not bad, just weak.

Light-bodied, with a lot of carbonation.

Light and refreshing, but then, so is Corona. I could session this one if I had to, but there's much better choices out there, especially for witbiers. After I finish the 6-pack, I doubt I'll ever buy this one again.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company