Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

3.4

Reviews: 1,613 | Ratings: 6,712
2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a bright, cloudy orange. Lots of carbonation, but a very small head which quickly fades into nothing. It looks more like an orange soda than a beer. Hope it doesn't contaminate my Hoegaarden glass.

At least it smells better than it looks. Tarty citrus lemon and orange.

Very light flavor. A little tangy fruit taste, some wheat, and that's about it. It's not bad, just weak.

Light-bodied, with a lot of carbonation.

Light and refreshing, but then, so is Corona. I could session this one if I had to, but there's much better choices out there, especially for witbiers. After I finish the 6-pack, I doubt I'll ever buy this one again.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

I picked up a six-pack of Blue Moon at a grocery store for my daughter’s graduation party. I have reviewed this beer before on tap, so I thought I’d try it in a bottle. I poured this beer in to a pint glass.

Pours a straw yellow color and is cloudy (unfiltered). A bubbly two-finger white head is gone quickly and produces no lacing.

The smell is fairly strong, sweet and fruity with citrus aromas, lemon and orange, and some melon scents like honeydew or cantaloupe.

The taste is sweet and fruity, with a bit of a cracker taste to it, and a mild hop finish. The flavors are very well balanced.

Mouth feel is smooth, crisp and refreshing

This is a very drinkable beer, fairly light and smooth, with a crisp thirst quenching character about it. I would certainly drink Blue Moon again, although I don’t know that I would search for it.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer pours a very cloudy gold, with a slowly dying head. It isn't really a cloud flowing through beer, it is more of a solid yellow haze. It has very little lace to be found. If you hold a bottle of blue moon up to the light it will glow, very cool.

S: It smells like sweet bread dough.There are also hints of banana. The smell is rounded out with some sweet spice aromas.

T: It is very heavy on the wheat taste. It has some citrus highlights, maybe some banana, cloves, etc. Where is the orange peel burn, or the coriander? Kind of reminds of not just a Pale Wheat, but even a Hefe. Oh well, it finishes suprisingly smooth with a hint of spice and a sweet sour citrus taste. It could be more complex and avoid the sour off taste at the end. The sour taste kills it for me.

M: The mouthfeel is thick. It's very fitting for the look of the beer.

D: It is quite drinkable, but the unfiltered wheat holds it back.

Perfect for a hot summer night, just like tonight.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

This tasting of the 3.2% version that is sold in Oklahoma convenience stores. (I haven't seen this beer for sale in Oklahoma liquor stores)

Citric zingness matched with corriander and maybe cloves sprinkled over a nice wheat malt foundation. Not much hops to speak of.

Pretty golden-yellowish color with a hazy appearance in the glass (reminds of Live Oak Heffeweizen). More golden than Celis Belgian White.

A good choice if it's after 9 p.m. and the liquor store has already closed, especially if you want a change of pace from Shiner and Choc beer.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy yellow/golden color. Wispy head that doesn't stick around.

The aroma of the beer is almost non-existant. What is there consists of a very light lemony citrus smell with light spice.

The taste is decent, a typical belgian white, spicy, wheaty flavor, that is very subtle. Even more subtle is the citrus flavor. The carbonation is low, and the beer goes down smooth.

The beer is easily drinkable, probably it's best asset. There are lots of alternatives that I would choose over this, but you do get some bang for your buck with blue moon, as it's usually pretty cheap.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Poured a very light cloudy copper with an average head and carbonation. Not exactly "white" but OK nonetheless. Nose was strong spice, somewhat medicinal, and yeasty. There was also an unpleasantness lurking, almost like you would taste in infected homebrew. Not offensive exactly, but not pleasant. Almost like bretannomyces. Tasted about like it smelled, with the oddness even more prominent. Maybe it was just too much coriander? The aftertaste was even worse. Mouthfeel was average and the drinkability was slightly below average due to what was already described.

Not sure what to make of this one. It was probably over 10 years since I last had it in a bottle, but I remember I did like it though it was not a favorite. I also had some on tap in the last 6 months and thought it was pretty good. Bad bottle? Taste buds just not in synch with this beer tonight? Will have to re-review it later on to see what's up.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Orangey yellow, and cloudy (real yeast in macro beer!) with a thin, creamy, quickly disipating head that leaves a white scum coating the surface. Smells much like a true witbier, but I detect a sourish off note in the background, hmm. Taste is solid, full, definitely wheat. Not excessively sweet as some wheat beers. There are detectable, husky pale barley malt notes behind the wheat. The finish does taste somewhat macro-lager-like. Mind you, this is a Coors product. The carbonation is a bit high but still good overall. Mouthfeel is noticably light for a wheat beer. Drinkability is where this beer shines, considering it's a coors product, it's macro, and it's low price point. This is the best beer for non craft-beer drinkers to be drinking, and I can down two of these in the time it takes me to get through a bud, miller, etc. It's no competition against good craft beer, but it's head and tails above other american macrobrews. I tend to think there is hope for people who I see drinking this. Not as complex as SA White, but this will do from time to time (albeit infrequently) whenever my stock of it runs out, until next season.

2.89/5  rDev -15%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a single finger head that melts quickly to moderate lacing.
Aroma is sort of strange....wet fabric<?>...maybe wheat with soap<?>
Taste is distinctively American wheat...very slightly sweet...then grainy and peppery on the swallow...slight banana aftertaste
Mouthfeel is thick with carbonation and comfortable.
<shrug>
Decent...forgettable for a wheat...but drinkable.
I do have trouble getting past the pecular smell, however, and am trying to not sniff with each sip I take. This one would be much improved drinking straight from the bottle

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

I've had this before a while ago but I didn't remember anything about it. I tried it again last night. The first thing I noticed about this beer was the smell. It wasn't skunky, but it was not a pleasant smell whatsoever. Maybe I'm just weird. It tasted okay. It was a bit cirtusy in that orange-like sense, but not in a great way. Kind of like Flinstone Kids vitamins. I did finish okay, so that's a plus. I don't think I'd get this again, unless my only option was like Beast or something. But I gotta give Coors props for trying though.

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy lemon yellow color with a modest white head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: What little aroma there is leaves a bit of lemon and wheat in the air

Taste: Inoffensive and bland with a bit of wheat and yeasty notes but nothing else

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thick (although not heavy bodied with modest carbonation)

Drinkability: Easy to drink - I now see why the beer is so popular - it makes the drinker appear a bit edgy without taking any risk whatsoever that an offensive flavor might pass across the drinker's lips

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. longneck into pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a half inch of white foam.

Smell: Lemon-y twang; and just generally weird. Wheat malt?

Taste: Twang from the wheat malt and vaguely sweet in the midle. Citrusy finish. And a weird note I can't identify, but it's a little funky.

Mouthfeel: Light, tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: It's just too weird to session.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured and drank this hefe weizen from the bottle into a weizen glass where it produced a straw/orange, slightly opaque appearance with a medium/large head characteristic of hefe weizens. Being a purest, I initially refused to allow an orange slice to be placed in it, but my friend insisted. The aroma smelled of wheat malt and fruity esters as well as the citrus smell of the orange. The taste was typical of an average weizen that utilized higher fermenting temperatures to produce fruity esters and this was accented further by the orange presence. The taste was refreshing and fruity, but I felt that it was a bit too much for a beer. Admittedly, I haven't tried this without the orange, but I assume it to be fairly average. I did notice a minute amount of clove esters present. The mouthfeel was medium with a medium carbonation. The drinkability was average. While this beer didn't stand out to me as being extraordinary, I still believe it is worth a try and would certainly drink it if offered. A respectable witbier.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a tall creamy white head over a hazy golden body. The head recedes leaving no lace. Faint aromas of coriander, citrus and a bit of sawdust/earth. Similarly, the taste is fairly mild for the style. Smooth sweetness with a slight citric bight toward the end. Medium body and carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

A fairly mild rendition of the style with the signature coriander and citric characters playing minor roles in the composition of this ale. That being said I have found this is a wonderful starting point for expanding the world of the light beer drinker. Granted, Blue Moon is brewed by Coors, but it is a great starting point for moving on to some other Wits, such as Wittekerke, Allagash White or Bell’s Winter White to name a few of my favorites.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%

I'm pretty new to beer appreciation. I've only recently graduated from Micheloeb's Amber Bock to more complex beers, and this is one of my first.

I was leary of the appearance. Light straw colored and looked like there was fine lint making it cloudy. I'd much rather a "foreboding" black beer than one that looks like it has stuff floating in it. The head was rather thin, sharp, not very appealing. Didn't cling to the glass like I like.

The first thing that hit me was the floral aroma. Very floral. It was a little off-putting. I expected the first drink of it to taste like a dandilion, but it was unexpectedly sweet. Once you get past the floral smell you can start detecting other interesting scents. And despite the appearance, the drinkability was better than I expected.

I didn't get as much of the citrus as other people have commented on. Maybe I'm not experience enough yet. I did sense that the bitterness, while light, was not the same "kind" of bitter like most macro brews that I'm used to (and have always disliked.) I can see that it might be more of a citrus bitter than whatever it is that makes Bud Light, for example, bitter. Which certainly made this beer a little more enjoyable than say regular Coors.

I could actually finish the glass, which is saying something for me. Generally the last couple of drinks of a beer tastes rancid to me, but this one remained somewhat sweet throughout. I don't think I'd have this regularly, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down if one was offered to me. I'd recommend it to other people who are just starting to move away from standard American beers into more complex territory.

Addendum: My previous experience has been with a poured glass. I recently tried another one right out of the bottle, and it certainly takes on a different quality.
As a wine drinker I'm well aware that the type and quality of glass actually does affect taste (mainly odor which hugely affects "taste",) so this shouldn't surprise me. But from the bottle the heavy floral taste is minimized, subdued, which makes the beer much more enjoyable. To me.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a hazy golden color with a one inch white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Sweet citrus aroma and a touch of coriander are present in the smell. Definitely a dumbed down version of Wit in taste, but nothing unpleasant. Like a beginners version. Some citrus is definitely noticeable, coriander is fairly minor but present. Not bad, worth a try, and as many have already noted on this site, a good beginner beer to wean people off macro lagers.

Served to me in a pint glass. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a white head. Garnished with an orange slice.

Orange and malt notes come through in the aroma.

Flavor continues the orange flavors found in the aroma. This is fairly sweet, but not in an artificial way. Not very complex, but tasty.

Light body, almost watery. Medium carbonation.

A very smooth, tasty brew good for a hot day. Not the most complex Wit you'll find, but maybe the most easy-drinking.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

A- pours a cloudy orange-yellow, minimal head, and almost no lacing
S- good smell, definately citrusy- some orange and possibly peach smell
T- pretty decent, could use a bit more complexity and a bit less water, but all in all a good flavor
M- medium build, some carbonation, but moves down the throat real easy
D- goes down smooth

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: hazy wheat/straw color. Head was well formed when delivered to the table cold. Served with a wedge of orange to add to the citrus/fruit presence.

Smell: Mild nose. Refreshing smell with a presence of citrus. Not overpowering, just a presence.

Taste: The first time I ordered this beer I was taken by suprise. I was expecting something totally different from the fruity/citrus taste. For a summer beer, this is by far an excellent choice. When I am not drinking this at a local establishment, I cut a wedge of lemon or orange and add it to the beer. Again, for a summer drinking beer after cutting the grass or other outdoor activities, this is outstanding.

Mouthfeel: A very present citrus feel (i.e. a bit of a tang) with a lasting mouth coating. Very nice.

Drinkability: For an American Belgian, this is an excellent beer. It goes down very smooth, especially when cold, and is easy to have "sneak up on you".

Added comments: I first had this on-tap at a Flying Saucer in my city. Since then, I've purchased several six-packs from a local Total Wine and More establishment. I have seen these six-packs even in grocery stores (Piggly Wiggly, Publix, etc.) so the Coors guys have done a very good job in not only making a good Belgian, but also making it available to the "common man". To those ends, this has become my "summer beer". It is refreshing while at the same time having a bit of body to it, rather than a quick and dirty common brew.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - 1/2" off white head full of big bubbles. Hazy, golden-yellow color. Head recedes rapidly to a cap. No lace.

S - Delicate sour aroma. Hefe-style aroma.

T - Wheat. Banana. Grainy flavor (oats??). Not the most complex Belgian White, but not bad either.

M - Very full mouthfeel on entry. Medium carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable and refreshing. Decent stab at a Belgian White.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Beautiful cloludy-golden color with a decent foam head that formed

Smell: Nothing special here. A slight hint of peaches and cloves perhaps? Nothing overly dominate.

Taste: Excellent I must say. Impressive sweetness followed by a very fruity flavor. A bit watered down for my tastes to get a 4.5. Refreshing, but once it gets a bit warmer it gets rather hard to down.

Mouthfeel: Great. Fresh, yet coats the pallet. A wonderful aftertaste of peach.

Drinkability: I've had 3 of these tonight and each time it maintains its decency. A great American alternative.

Notes: From the Coors people, this is a great beer. I have heavily surprised like the Bro's said that it is from a micro-brewery such as that.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Milky, light orange with a small, white, tight, quickly diminishing head. The smell is of mild wheat with moderate-heavy citrus. Orange, lemon and strawberry and some light coriander and yeast. More of the same in the taste, except it’s a little more malty and sweet with more coriander. It’s not thin in the mouth but it tastes a little thin. Nothing great, but very refreshing and fairly enjoyable. Goes well with seafood.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance is cloudy & orange. Served with an orange slice on the rim of the glass, the beer is attractive to look at. The smell is or orange, and the taste also is citrusy with not much carbonation. This tastes almost like a mixed orange alcoholic drink than a beer, but is a nice change of pace. Enjoyed it more than Sam Adams White Ale, another Witbier. Mouthfeel is very good -- easy to drink & a nice, refreshing flavor. Glad I gave it a try.

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance- honey but very cloudy with a 2-3 finger white head

Smell- Smells of fresh peaches and ones that are sweet.

Taste- Taste Green apple wiht a little bit of tartness. But to even it out a sweet peach taste.

Mouthfeel- Is like carbonated fruit juice with a very light feel and very smooth.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink. A beer for the summer and a beer that needs to be drank between 40-45 degrees f.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap with a slice of an orange.

It has a slightly copper color and an average size head. It really had a citrusy aroma (I know the orange had something to do with that). Being a Coors product, I was really impressed about how it actually tasted Belgian. The flavor has a little kick to it, as well. It was relatively smooth and drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden-yellow with many excited bubbles rushing to the top of the snow-white head. Head is little but retains well throughout. Drifts of lace build as the glass empties.

Smell is a thick melange of spices (similar to Sam Adams White Ale) which waft to the nose like a floral-meets-mustard thing. It tells me summer is just around the corner.

The foamy head helps the flavor greet the mouth, and it tastes almost exactly as it smells: floral, somewhat tangy, thick with various spice essences. Also a good wheat essence, which I didn't pick up in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is creamier than your usual witbier, but it's a welcome addition to the flavor profile.

I can't believe I'm drinking a Coors product, and I can't believe a Coors product is actually decent. Gotta call 'em as I drink 'em, and for this one, I can only give Coors a thumbs up (almost makes me want to shudder...). Let it be a lesson: always look to the Belgians to steer you right on beer. Even Coors did well by doing so. Blue Moon has become less impressive to me over repeated tastings, but it has stiff competition from not only its much better Belgian counterparts, but from other U.S. micros that are more authentic. But for what it is, it's alright...I'm definitely not in the Blue Moon Hater camp.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company