Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,643 | Ratings: 6,864
3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

NOTE: I'm editing an earlier review, where I might have let some personal bias creep into the review.

OK. I'll say it. I don't want to like this beer because it is brewed by Coors, a company that has posed numerous affronts to my social sensibilities.

That said, I kind of like this beer. Like another Coors product, Killian's, a 6 of these shows up in my fridge from time to time, courtesy of my wife. I suspect she finds these beers more exotic than the standard macro, and not as pricey as the standard micro. She might be onto something.

The earlier review said:
Blue Moon Wit appears slightly cloudy, gold.

Slight spice to smell and taste differentiates this from what would otherwise be a very ordinary beer. I was thinking coriander? In any event, it is not very bold, so it is easy to categorize this as an ordinary beer.

To this, I will add:
There is a nice delicate sweetness to the malt, I guess it is wheat malt, that you don't find in an ordinary macro. I find it really refreshing. On this warmish spring day, where I am working outside doing the lawn and garden routine, I found myself craving this beer. So I put 2 in the fridge and am enjoying. Hence, increased taste and drinkability in this edited review.

I'll probably never buy Coors products myself, choosing to support a true micro, or at least, a more regional micro (e.g., Leinies, Point), if I am feeling cheap or the selection is limited. Still, I gotta give this one it's due.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this beer at a local bar & grill, served from the bottle in an unchilled glass with a slice of orange, which really is typical of how wheat beers are served in Europe.

The appearance is cloudy, typical of the style. It has medium/high carbonation that produces a nice head that resides a bit after a few minutes to a small lacey ring. The aroma is malty with a hit of hops and also citrusy (probably accented by the orange. The flavor is definately a wheat malt with some hop bitterness afterward. The orange really brings the citrus flavors along. It has a medium body typical of a wheat, very pleasant.

This is a good session beer. It's flavorful, but not overwhelming. The orange added is a very nice touch. Good for a spring or summer day or evening.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

My girlfriend was coming over for dinner and promised to pickup something "good" at the beer distributor and arrived at my home with a six pack of these... I tried not to hurt her feelings but I was a little let down. I actually don't hate this beer, it's actually pretty decent for a macro, especially from Coors. What it is not, however, is a great Witbier.
Moderately colored, cloudy body with no head and a pleasant but faint odor of citrus and yeast. Accurate enough for the style, but a bit dull, with no real head or lacing or "sparkling quality" you sometimes see in the style.
Sip is round and has broad wheat and citrus flavors although seems to be hamstrung by overcarbonation. Mouthfeel isn't too watery but that may be due to the bubbles.
This is drinkable stuff although it would have to be a pretty weak selection for me to choose this at a bar or beer distributor.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Appearance- cloudy gold, very appealing.

Smell- very sweet and calk full of malt. Coriander is present as well. I agree with the bro.

Taste- delicious, smooth and malted. Very sweet and fruity. (where does the fruit come from? Anyone...)

Mouthfeel- slightly thick when talking American brews of this color, but very pleasant.

Drinkability- very easy to drink, I did a six pack in forty five minutes. All of Coors beers seam to have an easy drinking beverage in mind when creating a beer. A definite quencher. Come summer time and the heat is on, I will be found in a blue haze. (sorry Jimmy)

Very good beer. Easy to drink and equally unique. Often served with an orange this adds a little to the sweetness and also makes the drinking more fun in a corny way. This beer is quite tasty and should be explored if you like sweet brews. Taste identical to Sam Adams White Ale...

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Had one at the Atlas Diner with dinner. Served ice-cold with a thin slice of orange laid flat that completely covered the surface of the glass. (So much for seeing what kind of head this beer has). The head was a thin covering after I removed the offending orange slice. Color was hazy orange. Not much nose. The taste was very pleasant. The sweetness is not overpowering and the fruity tastes is very mild. The bitterness in the followup taste is good, gives the beer some character. Drinkability is good, I could see myself having a few on a hot day or with food. I had a St Bernardus Witbier once and this is not the same thing. That being said, it is still a big improvement on Coor's Lite. Good on ya Coors, you can make a beer with some actual flavor.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

Have had this beer plenty of times... finally decided to review it

pours a hazy yellow-orange color with about a half inch head

smell is good, that typical wheat smell with some fruitiness
taste is decent, wish it wasnt quite as bitter as this one (this beer is better on -tap)
good mouthfeel and drinkability, its possible to drink a lot of these in a night

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: hazy and somewhat cloudy yellow...a decent head.

Smell: Spicy and inviting. The lemon and wheat are present.

Taste: Sweet mother of sweetness...this is sweet for a witbier...but it works. Good job to Coors. The sweet malts, lemon twang, and delicious spices make for a great beer...the only negative i could say is that the flavor doesnt have much depth...but its coor so its ok

Mouthfeel: Sharp carbonation that is fitting for the style

Drinkability; Easy to drink

2.82/5  rDev -17.1%

I beg your indulgence as this beer snob admits to his prejudices for a moment. In short, I had no idea this beer was a Coors product when I picked it off the shelf at my local, sadly stocked as far as beer is concerned, grocery store, and I confess that if I had known I would not have tried it. I assumed it was the product of a micro brewery putting out a style that I otherwise like (mostly due to my experience with the well-known Hoegaarden). Indeed, I didn’t realize it was put out by Coors until I looked it up on this website to post my review as the provenance is not boldly indicated on the bottle, as was no doubt advised by the marketing department. Thus, the review below can be considered free of preconceived notions of a mass-market product, though I have to say the twist-off cap did give me immediate pause.

This beer pours a murky orange color with little or no head. The crisp hoppy aroma is immediately tantalizing. Upon tasting, I am hit by a strong lemon flavor, and I’m afraid little follows that first, rather overbearing, taste. It’s also a bit too thin and watery. I would say overall that it’s crisp and light and not totally unenjoyable on a warm day, but it could use a lot more complexity and body.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Presentation: Standard 12oz. bottle, twist-off. Jul 16 03629T 06 in yellow ink on the side.

Appearance: Very cloudy deep golden color. The medium white head fades as fast as it formed. Decent lacing.

Smell: a lot of sweet malt, very light hint of citrus, but mainly just a lot of coriander.

Taste: Sweet wheaty bready malt body. Again, very little citrus and a lot of coriander. Its got a dry finish to it with a slight alcohol warmth. No hop bitterness that I can detect.

Mouthfeel: A thin body with low carbonation.

Notes: just too one dimensional. Not enough balance between the citrus and the coriander. As for the appearance the head retention could use some serious work. Overall, its the best mass produced wit, but dumbed down for the masses. The complexity from the yeast of a genuine Wit and that slight hint of acidic twang in the finish just isn't there. If you can't get a hold of some Hoegaarden, this would work as a substitute. The plus side that it is cheap.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Blue Moon Belgian White
12 oz brown bottle
July 16 07 423T 06 Jet Ink label on the back of the bottle
Served in a Schneider Weisse hefe weizen glass

Pours a cloudy and hazy light orange. Nice fluffy white head on top. Random spots and trails of sticky lace decorate the glass.

Very pleasant aroma of citrus fruit, spices and a freshly peeled tangerine.

Sweet, juicy orange and peach blend. A tad spicy with flavors of mixed fruit. There is an interesting chalky wheat flavor that provides a dry finish. Very, very drinkable, smooth and quite refreshing.

In all honesty, I am stunned that this beer rated as high as it did for me. I've had this beer many times over the years and it's never tasted this good or this fresh. If you factor in the price of Blue Moon, the overall product becomes more appealing.

One of the best mass-produced Witbiers in the US.

pours a cloudy yellowish orange with decent head.

smells sweet and fruity. smells a lot like a hefeweizen type brew.

taste is smooth and creamy. nice wheaty taste, bready malt character, with a nice crisp refreshing finish.

mouthfeel is light and creamy at the same time. crisp. drinkability is pretty good. overall impressed that this is a coors product.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

appearance-Poured a cloudy orangish with a nice head that went away fairly quickly.
aroma- wheaty,yeasty with a little citris
taste-dry, with a citrisy, slightly hoppy aftertaste. very slight bitter..and it kind of hangs around for a while...not just washing away...overall fairly nice.
mouthfeel-not too thin, but not very thick. smooth
overall not a bad brew for a macro. not very sharp tasting, average for an ale. Not bad, and not very expensive. would go well with food, since it would not overpower. Nothing really specatular about it, but overall pretty descent. Will probably try again when the selections are few...avaliable at super market....

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I did not like this beer the first time I had it. It has grown on me though.

Looks light and cloudy and is best served cold with an orange in my opinion. it brings out the citrus a little more which makes it overpower the sweetness a little bit.

Pours easy and goes down easy not a whole lot of substance. Widely available at many bars and distributers makes it more of a beer of choice than it should be at times, but never a bad choice.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a thin white head (that did not retain well) and hazy yellow color. Aroma is sweet orange and grainy wheat. Flavor is spicy and citrusy with a good dry wheat backbone. Finishes dry. Loads of carbonation to give it a refreshing bite.

This is a beer that is a good introduction to craft beer for people who have previously only drank light American lagers. It shows that there is a whole other world of beer without assaulting them with bitterness and caramel/roasty flavors.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had several of these tonight, including one I unintentionally spilled all over myself.... Served with a slice of orange, this brew looks hazy to the point of being opaque. Fairly typical of a wit.

Smells and tastes fruity and citrusy, the latter probably aided by the accompaniment on the side of the glass. The waitress tried to push a Blue Moon mixed with a shot of Citron. Pretty good for drinking several in one night, especially on Wednesdays when it's on special at Po' Boys' ;)

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Cloudy in a good mellow yellow way. Very distinctive look to this beer. Very little head.

Smell: Fruit and wheat. Nice smell.

Taste:Fruit and wheat smell. Has a smell of its own. Its easy on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean for a cloudy beer.

Drinkability: Usually not my choice but I enjoyed it. Had one with a roast beef, potatoes and spinach dinner. Worked very well with food. Will have another.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I caught you standing alone. Poured a hazy hefe-yellow color. Helped a little bit with a half swirl pour. Decent head but quickly hides to the edge of the glass

The smell is mostly citrus orange peel. Some wheaty notes and a like pepper aroma. Lighter malts are notable in the background. Some hints of Belgian yeast but mostly clean.

The taste is more along a fruity wit. A good wheat flavor up front with a non-discript malty note that lingers into the finish. A good citrus taste throughout the taste. A finish with a slight peppery taste. Not much of yeast and very smooth to drink. The body is light and very easy to drink.

The body is moderate, a touch sweet for style. Carbonation is good. Overall a bit fruity for style but still good.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%

Went to dinner tonight at a local sports bar. Other than the Bud and Miller, my choices on tap Newcastle, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Blue Moon. I have reviewed both Newcastle and SNPA and haven’t had Blue Moon, so I tried it.

It was served in a pint glass with an orange wedge on the rim. I removed the orange and began to drink…

A—cloudy bright orange/yellow with ½ inch white foamy head, head was gone in a few minutes, but nice lacing was left down the inside of the glass

S—wheat and citrus is all that I can smell

T—citrus and wheat are mixed together really well, nothing bad at all about this one

M—light and crisp, good carbonation

D—I like it. A good standby when your tap choices are limited. I had it with a big plate of buffalo chicken wings and it complemented them nicely.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

This pours a clear yellow straw with very little head. The smell has some yeast and bakery like aromas with some lemon. The taste has a wheat lemon flavor with some citrus and coriander flavors. The m/f is light,but the balance is weak with a very watery aftertaste. Not horrible, but I don't think I'd buy this again. Still for Coors,this isn't all bad.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Translucent clover honey with a white, frothy head. A solid-looking beer; the color along the edges is almost the same as the color in the center. Fair retention.

Smell: Orange, lemon, coriander, black pepper, Earl Grey tea. Something buttery going on, too, almost cheesy.

Taste: Orange and black pepper dominate, with a slight, sweet, yeasty tang. Overall flavor is clean and clear. This would go really well with Chinese food. Or a salad... with field greens, walnuts, mandarin oranges, red onions, and perhaps some crumbled gorgonzola. That would be perfect.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, with a mint-like cooling sensation in the finish.

Drinkability: A great summer brew (why I'm drinking it in the winter, I don't know), and a crowd-pleaser at parties. It lacks the zesty kick of other wits (I long for a Hitachino Nest White Ale), but it would still be a great match for sweet-and-sour and mildly spicy foods.

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

I could say "Mmm, a citrus explosion of sharp, protesting, but coagulating spectaculation."

But I wont.

This beer is incredibly good. Just short of the Belgian excellence that Sam Adams White Ale has achieved, but just short. My number two beer for beers that can purchased at the grocery store. A thick beer with exceptional tastate.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle poured into glass.

A – Poured into glass, but swirled last 1/3 before pouring rest into glass. Very dull and cloudy. Deep yellow, almost the color of wheat itself. Large cap (could be due to the swirling ) but dissipated pretty quickly without much trace except some lacing on top of beer.

S – Wheaty, orange peel, lots of citrus mixing together. Sweet and mild.

T – Citrus, mostly orange. Wheat. Light taste.

M – Carbonation is mellow but some tingles at first. Very smooth and a light bodied. Hints of different tastes, but nothing extravagant. Feels refreshing and finishes the same. Little on the watery side

D – Excellent session beer. One of my personal favorites with pizza and hot wings. Bars like to put a slice of orange on the edge, which helps bring out the citrus even more.

Just average, all around. I wouldn't buy it again. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, so I was pleasantly surprised by the good, up front flavor. It quickly dissipated, however leaving me wanting for something more than that nice approach. Toward the end of my glass, I just wanted to be done with it. The wheat taste was muted and a bit weak, so if it's a true wheat beer you're looking for, maybe look elsewhere. But the beer was by no means bad or offensive, just lacking.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Appears a pale orange/gold with a small white head that quickly fades out. Tiny specks of lacing are left around the glass. I actually lined this up side by side with a Hoegaarden and this was transparent, while the Hoegaarden was hazy and a light yellow.
The smell is of orange peel and wheat and maybe a mild touch of coriander.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild lemon tartness mixed in.
Mouthfeel is sweet, sticky, and thin. Lacks that dryness, spiciness, and true tartness of an authentic Belgian Wit.
Other than that, it was drinkable b/c there was nothing else on tap other than super swill. Sort of a micro/import wannabee's kind of drink.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

A very refreshing brew - had it with a slice of orange. It is a very carbonated beer - Freshness date said Jun04 so I was afraid I had purchase some old beer - but alas I read the coors website and that means June 4th - all dates are a Sunday so you know that means the beer is fresh until June 4, 2006 (182 day shelf life) I think they could have made the whole freshness date issue a bit less confusing.

I think this will be my lawnmover beer of choice this summer.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company