Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White
3.41/5
Okay
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Witbier

Also know as Belgian Moon in Alberta & British Columbia

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Ratings: 7,168 |  Reviews: 1,681
4.19/5  rDev +22.9%

1.5 finger head that dissipates quickly. pale yellow with chill haze expected from un-filtered wheat beer. citrus and spiciness to the nose. smells great. malt sweetness ansd hop bittering very balanced. dry finish. smells get even better as beer warms. blue moon rocks. oh yeah, i'm not so fond of coors either, but this definitely is not a coors lite. if they marketed this beer with scantily clad fine chicks it could become my favorite.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

Good summer beer. I keep this stocked for my neighbor. He drinks it with an orange slice. Cloudy yellow witbier color, nice fruity and clovy aroma. Minimal head, avg lacing. Taste is refreshing, nothing strong. Good "lawnmower" quality. I never thought I'd say this...but not bad for a Coors product. Worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy pale yellow body, with a frothy white head. Aroma of cloves, citrus and lemon. Light bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Taste of cloves, some spice, some tartness and ends dry. A pretty good product from Coors. Has ok flavour, easy drinking and a decent wit when nothing else is around.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Cloudy yellow with some very faint orange. Decent head that stays a bit and leaves a small amount of lacing and a small ring of pillowy head on the surface.

Smell is not super powerful. Light and refreshing with a grain base and slight citric notes.

Taste is sweet, sweeter than many Witbiers anyway. Grain and what seems like candy suger evident with a light hop bitterness. A bit too sweet for the other flavors but still balanced.

Not bad, I seem to remember liking this more before I started in on other great Witbiers.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

An old stand by when nothing else is available(and when it's on sale for $5 a sixer at Lowe's Foods).

An agressive pour yields a hazy amber yellow beer topped with a fluffy, loose white head of medium large bubbles. Head is short lived and leaves not a trace of lace.

Smell is dominated by sugary sweet orange and spice tones followed by a hint of lemon and buttery wheat. Too sweet and lacking in depth and complexity.

Flavor is citrus sweet with cinnamon, clove, and corriander. It almost tastes like an orange creamsicle. A little character from the unmalted wheat comes through on the finish, but it is too little, too late. Too sweet and unbalanced. The orange flavor almost has to be artificial, is it?

Big bubbles of quickly dyeing carbonation land to a flat mouthfeel supported by a light, watery body. In spite of all it's shortcomings, it is still easy to drink, almost like soda. 5$ a sixer...good for budget drinking or for cooling off on a hot day. I can hardly even compare it to Troublette or Ommegang Witte.

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%

Served a translucent yellow with a thin white head and an orange slice, the orange is nice for appearance, but I decided to remove it. A really soft and sweet aroma, slight citrus and even slighter spice. The flavor was sweet and slightly spicey, with strong malt flavors. The body was good, the beer smooth, but it seemed to be a little light on the carbonation, perhaps due to the slice of orange. Overall a good beer, but I’d rather have an Oberon, a Whitsun, or a Zoomer Wit.

I know everyone on here loves hoegaarden, but to me that was really dissapointing. This is hell of a lot more refreshing. It smells so nice and sweet, wheatey and fruity. The head is gorgeous and it looks great. It is carbonated and very hazy. It tastes great, really refreshing too. The spices are interesting. Wheaty and sweet. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

This was a lot better than I would have thought it to be. I like the label; think it's a really nice package. However, the thought of American made 'knock-off' Belgian white ale just doesn't sound appealing to me. I am, however, very glad I gave it a go. Its smell is a bit musty with a hint of fruit and some faint malt. The taste is a little sweet but not very strong. I'd say pleasantly sweet, and with a touch of hops, too. It's quite cloudy and yellowy - orange in colour. It's quite smooth and very easy to drink. A wonderful brew for the warmer weather!!

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a good beer. Nice refreshing taste. Has a bit of a fruity flavor,but not overwelming.. Great color,and the head lasts just long enough. I bought just one bottle of this to give it a try.I was expecting less,but was fairly impressed. Not bad for a Coors product !

Next time I'll try a six pack,or maybe a twelve!!

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Cloudy, orangy color. Served on draft by someone who didn't believe in head. No lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Nothing detected.

Taste: Lemony, malty, wheaty. Good. Even my wife liked it.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant

Drinkability: Decent. I wouldn't make a habit of drinking this, but it'll be a nice alternative.

3.02/5  rDev -11.4%

Two pint glasses for price of one at Ground Round. Thin film and collar supported by beading - heads never made it to the table from the tap.

Unfiltered turbid pale apricot color. The citrus, and spice, witbier aroma got my taste buds salvating.

I hung the lemon wedge alongside of another on the second glass. Belgium yeast and lactic acid contribute to the aroma.

According to "Sky and Telescope"*, the traditional definition of a Blue Moon is the third Full Moon in a season which has four Full Moons. Compilers of almanacs such as the Maine Farmer's Almanac would use a coloured symbol to denote this third Full Moon, hence the name.

Starts with fruit taste , looses interest with a thin mouthfeel and water middle although helped by a supporting CO2 texture and some tartness (carbondated water) ending with lactic acid and dry pucker on the back of the tongue and esophagus. Hops lost in this lactic aftertaste.

Mostly clean tasting spicey fruit flavors keep you drinking it. But each mouthful gives the same old same old disappointing thought of some other more desirable Belgium beers. Second glass sat getting warm and flat as the food finally reached the table.

Pairs with cod fish but not as well with a rueben sandwitch.
I would drink this ONCE in a Blue Moon but never twice!

*http://www.obliquity.com/astro/seasonal.html

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Old Chicago as part of Spring mini tour. Cloudy pour, with a decent sized head. Served with an orange as seems to be the trendy thing to do. To avoid scurvy I decided to eat the orange, but it didn't make it in my beer. Taste is not bad for a wit - hints of coriander and wheat. Enjoyable brew, but I wish people didn't call it a microbrew!

3.65/5  rDev +7%

A tug on the handle unleashed a cloudy, golden brew with a nice head of good retention.

The smell reminds me of blueberry. Maybe it is subliminal being "Blue Moon," but it smells blue. Wheat and sweetness with citrus and non citrus fruit aspects.

The taste is pretty decent. Fresh, wet mouthfeel. Blue flavors abound. Nary a hint of bitterness. Mostly sweet and wheat beer tones. Some apple and orange. Juicy and refreshing. I can drink these all day in the summertime. Taken for what it is, this one is a sure winner when faced with the common drab of beer cooler boredom. I have never had a bad one off the tap which is where I usually come into contact with this beer. Not bad.

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Pale orangish-straw color, lots of haziness and cloudiness. Nice quarter inch head. Perfumy, citrusy, somewhat sweet nose. Lots of wheat flavor, moderately sweet in the front. Coriander is light, as is the bitter orange peel. Fair amount of yeastiness at the finish. Body is a tad watery and light.

I find this a better beer than most people do, even better than some genuine Belgians like Sterkens. It's not my favorite wit but it's a quite drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%

I drink this beer a lot when I go out for pizza or to hear a band. Its much better on tap than from a bottle but for a beer made by a major American brewer its pretty good. I also like the orange wedge with it even if some beer connoisseurs kinda look down on that.
It pours a yellow that almost looks orange with a average head that quickly dissipated.Smells of wheat and citrus but the aroma is very weak Taste is mild and smooth, of wheat and orange (I have a orange slice in it) and just a hint of spice. Not much of a after taste with this one and its yet to give me a headache the next morning no matter how many Ive downed.
I paid $1.75 a glass

4.01/5  rDev +17.6%

This was my introduction to the witbier style when a waitress recommended this. Finally got a chance to go back there and have some again with reviews in mind.

With most witbiers, it pours a very cloudy pale amber gold. Very small 1/4" white head that disapppated quickly with little to no lace. The nose is fantastic - sweet, floral, citrus. The nose carries to the taste on the tongue, with a very slight spiciness (clove?) playing off the citrus, with orange more discernable. Its light and noticiably sweet on the throat...a very drinkable witbier.

Note - I have had this both from tap and bottle and, IMHO, there is a very discernable difference. Tap is much better if you can get it.

3.82/5  rDev +12%

Hard to believe this is a Coors product. Also hard to believe I've never reviewed it as this is usually my "go to beer" when presented with the standard BMC lineup that so many sports bars, etc carry. Pours a murky orange amber. Scent is very fruity, slightly yeasty. Taste is very very smooth, lots of orange and corriander. Creamy in a Dreamsickle kinda way. If not consumed fresh though it loses most of its redeeming characteristics. I've also found that a lot of places will overcarbonate this stuff or maybe it's just gotten that way from being around too long in their systems. Either way, a very drinkable beer from one of the big boys. When grading for adhereance to the style though, I'd probably give it a C.

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%

Cloudy light orange color. Head renetion is ok. Starts ok, about one finger and then settles to a lace around the glass. Smells like lemon, coriander, and some wheat malt. No aroma too strong. Taste is average for the style. Coriander, orange peel, and some wheat malts balance well. A small amount of hops. Everything is there, but kind of weak. Medium bodied. Very tasty for a Coors product.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap, 23 oz draft at Krieger’s served with an orange slice. Sort-of a cloudy dark yellow, bordering bright orange hue, decent white head. An aroma of wheat, coriander and some lemon peel. Medium in body; delicately creamy, hints of wheat, lemon and orange peel up front, sweet malts and an on-going grainy presence. Zesty hops with some yeasty/lightly peppered tastings. Imagine that – a decent offering, from one of the big 3, a good fall-back beer, pretty consistent and enjoyable for the style.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a suprinsingly solid offering from Coors. I'm in shock!

Pours an orange tinged light gold with a slim white head that dissapated quickly into absolutely nothing. Nose is nice, spicy, notes of pepper and hops and a slightly fruity character. Taste follows the nose, though the spice really takes over. Body is quite full and has a nice bite from carbonation. Finish is a bit dry with very little aftertaste.

I'm impressed, I never would have guessed this was from Coors.

Slàinte!

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

My first wheat beer of any complexion. Poured an interesting hazy orange color with creamy head that dissipated pretty quickly. Beer appears thick and smooth and is opaque in the glass.

The smell is interesting but not complex...there are strong accents of lemon and other funky citrus. Taste has a very small amount of spice, complementing the citrus nicely. The aftertaste, however, is slightly off-putting.

Repeated sips warm me up to the beer more, and the mouthfeel is smooth and nice, and despite the apparent "thickness" of the beer, it isn't terribly filling.

Pretty good overall. I"ll have to try others in this style to compare.

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at Chili’s restaurant – Excellent !! Even with that damn slice of orange stick on the glass – good thing they didn’t chuck it into the beer. (I’ve semi-converted the wife-zilla – she’s drinking the Boulevard Wheats and liking them – but she squirts the damn lemon into it ).

Anyway, the 22oz bomber pour was a hazy amber, but the orange slice seemed to kill the head quickly. No matter, the Wit was still smooth, well balanced between the weat malts and citrus hops. Not sure if the orange aroma was from the beer or the slice. Very nice texture – could drink these all night. Oops, think I did. Have to say, a good *micro* from a *macro*.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Final beer in my review of Molson-Coors beers, pre-merger, round 1. I probably should have had this one first. From notes from previous night.

Appearance: Hazy pale gold (tonight as I type and have another it looks orangish when held to the light). Decent fluffy white head, it lingered for a bit then left. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Fruity/citrusy (orange and lemon). Almost like a kitchen floor or countertop cleaner. A little hops noticeable.

Taste: Citrus fruits, lemon, orange, a little sweet, yet there is a good balace of hop/malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium bodied, slightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Last night after drinking macros this was sweet nectar. I waited to tonight to number it, and it is good, but not great. I have not had any other witbiers in recent memory, but I would hope that this is not the best the style has to offer. I couldn't have more than one last night, and I don't know if I'll purchase this one again after the 6-pack is gone.

NOTE: Ratings may be adjusted when I have more of the style to compare to. For now I am comparing it to wheat beers I have had (I know, probably a mistake, but this is how I see it).

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

This brew surprised me. I bought it knowing full well it is a coors product. This meant I was expecting very little. Well I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. A great summertime brew while barbecuing. Believe it or not I would buy this one again! Shame that Coors cant make their other products like this!

2.86/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well the choice between a draw of Coors Light or a draw of Blue Moon was more than enough to try the latter for the first time. And I must say I was quite surprised.

Pours nice, very hazy with a tight, white head and nice lacing.

Doesn't smell much different from a macro lager, oddly. There's just the slightest hint of wheat, but that was it. Very faint smell.

Tastes pretty darn good, if a little bland for a wheat. Like wheatmalt upfront with only a bit of spice, citrus and orange peel in the back fading into a swet malt. Horrible aftertaste of Coors badness costs this beer some points.

I get the same stomach cramps I do from Bud and Coors from drinking this beer. Certainly not a good session ale.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 3.41 out of 5 with 7,168 ratings