Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White
3.41/5
Okay
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Witbier

Also know as Belgian Moon in Alberta & British Columbia

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Ratings: 7,198 |  Reviews: 1,685
3.58/5  rDev +5%

This beer poured out a hazy and very pale straw yellow color. The thin foamy head faded quick and left nothing. Highly carbonated without anything really discernable in the aroma except for a slight sour yeastiness. The flavor is light and overall pretty bland. Some sweet and sour wheat malt flavor. Very light and really not a bad offering from a big brewer. I like this beer. A Belgium White that isn’t “In your face”, but is quite drinkable.

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

Light amber color. Large head. Aroma is malty and a touch spicy. A medium bodied white. Malts are sweet. Hops are a touch spicy. Smooth taste. Mild flavors. Not what I think of when drinking a Belgian White, but tasty enough. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Almost the color of orange juice in appearance with a fluffy white head that retreats after a few minutes. Light aroma of wheat and I could barely detect any spices. Mouthfeel is thin with some crispness on the edges. Taste leans toward the sweet side with some wheat flavor in addition to a touch of citrus (orange). Lacks the overall flavoring of coriander, orange peel and spice along with the crispness that a good wit should have. With other better options like Lakefront White and Allagash White, in addition to others Blue Moon is something I probably won't choose again.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

Head stayed around longer than expected.Had a bubbling carbonation.Cloudy gold in color.Sweet wheat taste that is very smooth and creamy.Banana is smelled and tasted along with some spices.I find these highly drinkable and great with meals.Belgian White is my favorite beer style and I find myself going back to Blue Moon's because of the quality and availability.Balanced very well with a crispness to the mouth but also a smoothness.Faint bitterness with no real hop character.Dry finish with an aftertaste that doesnt stick around.I never knew Coors brewed this until reading a few of these reviews.Why don't they put the same effort into their other beer?

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

After vacationing this past week and eating and drinking at Southend Brewery in Charleston,SC and tasting their Belgium White
Ale on draft as their seasonale special I've been hooked on this great
tasting beer. I bought a six pack of Blue Moon Belgium White
Ale and I for the most part am pleased with this. It doesn't compare to the belgium white ale draft I had in Charleston with a side of
an orange slice, but Its a very good summer Belgium White. I'm
sure there are better but when its hot and you're looking for
something alittle different and you serve it nice and cold with
a side of orange its worth it. I would recommend this, I'd love
to try this as a draft as well.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

When this beer was poured into my glass, it poured a large off-white head with fine-small sized bubbles that was long lasting. The body was cloudy and carbonation was observed. The hue of this beer was pale yellow and the nose was cruity and citrusy. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. The flavor was mild and it lacked character. The mouthfeel was smooth, thin and watery.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Even though Coors, inc makes Blue Moon this is still not a bad beer. It's a good beer to have people transition from macro to micro. Pretty sweet tasting. A lot of coriander and citrus in there. The base of the flavor is a wheaty malt taste. Not real balanced or deep. However, the more I experience other beers the more I realize that this simply is a weak, cloying beer. But it's not too bad for getting someone started into non-light beers.

4.24/5  rDev +24.3%

This is currently my every day beer. It's that good. The spice, combined with what I can only describe as a hint of blueberry, makes this so deliciously drinkable I had to bring some back to Toronto on my last trip home, south of the border. Blueberry isn't mentioned on the label and friends say they don't always taste it - some batches seem to have it and some don't - but whatever the flavour is it's matched perfectly with the spices of this Belgian Wheat.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had one of these in a tall weizen glass, they stuck an orange slice in there, removed it immediately, but the effect was hard to shake. I smelled orange notes the whole beer through, perhaps some of the oils clinging to the glass?

Nice hazy color, no head, light crown of bubbles. Aroma is, well, mostly orange, some yeast in the background. Tastes wonderfully spicy and fruity, orange up front, turning slightly tart/sour towards the end. Bottom of the glass tastes more of lemon. Mouthfeel is a little heavier for a Wit than I would have expected, but not bad. Though I would generally drink this style in the summer, I actually think I would prefer this in a cooler environment where it's bigger body would be a better fit. However, on any given summer's day, I'd be good for one. Coor's best offering, IMO.

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%

A good contender in the wit word, this cloudy yellow brew with moderate white head has its' own unique flavors. Prominent flavors of citrus, malt, and some spice along with strong coriander, I think. A strong lingering herb/spice remains after a bathing of the palate and swallowing. A soft and smooth mouthfeel with a tart finish. I was surprised at its' unique qualities and think it's a positive addition to the variety of whites.

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

i was surprised to find that this was brewed by coors. Real cloudy yellow appearance, not much of a head could have been a bad pour though. i dind't notice much of a smell at all. the beer itself wasn't too bad. the lemon flavor really hit me right away. there was a peppery taste as i was rolling it around in my mouth a bit. eh... not bad. it'd probably be good on a hot summer day, seems like it would be refreshing. i feel like this would be good to marinate chicken in or something...

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I remember when I was 14 I stole a Blue Moon from my dad, I think that this may have been the first craft beer that I ever drank, so I have to "cheers" to that. Poured a whitish-yellowish-orange, very cloudy with visible particles of sediment and a low-retention head. The smell was good, with a banana citrus thing definetely happening. The taste is also very enjoyable - nice an light, great for summer, and going well with a slice of lemon. The presentation could use some work ( better head, finer sediment), but a good beer nonetheless.

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought at Hi-Way Liquor in New Castle, Indiana; stored 5 minutes in the trunk of my car.

The medium-sized, dense, off-white head is a little noisy. The beer is a hazy gold, with lotsa carbonation and brown yeasty chunks on the last pour. Thin sheety lacing.

The smell is a little grainsy, a little tart, with some peas. The beer starts a touch fruity, with some herbs and noticeable pepper. The middle is a bit sour and strangely oily. The finish is decently bitter, but not altogether pleasant. This is an ok beer. Drinkable, but too much peas.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

A hazy orange body is topped by a good-sized creamy white head that drops shortly but maintains a thin surface covering and leaves nice sheets of temporal lace with each sip. The bouquet is interestingly floral. Orange peel is obvious in the nose, but appears more softly lemony than orangeish. There's a very mild touch of soft coriander as well, and some gentle yeastiness. The body is medium although it appears slightly fuller due to it's smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Just as the spice is obvious in the nose, so it is in the flavor with gentle coriander and mild orange peel wrapped in lush, sweet malt. Throughout the glass the dull yeastiness develops on the palate, and some additional peppery spiciness evolves. Not a bad beer at all! It seems a bit fluffy (maybe I should say obtuse?) in comparison to most of the versions I've had from Belgium, but it's not overly done. It's flavorful, just lacking in complexity. There are better domestically brewed witbier's available, but this will do nicely in a pinch.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good beer with a light feel to it. The smell is fruity in its aroma. Very nice pour with a light white head. The taste has a bit more fruity flavor then I am used to but it was smooth. The aftertaste is a bit metallic but not too bad. Not a bad beer overall for its style

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pale yellow/light golden. Appears cloudy, a thin white head dissipates rather quickly to nothing more than a veneer of small bubbles. A good looking beer. A moderately strong floral/fruity aroma, provides an inviting scent. A very mild taste for its style, slightly fruity, not overpowering in anyway. A definite aftertaste persists although this is neither positive or negative. Feels light, an easy drinking beer, although somewhat disappointing given both its very good appearance and smell. I will drink it again, although will not go out of my way to find it.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my wifes favorite summer time beer so we had to pick up a 12 pack the other day. It pours a hazy golden color with a slight orange hue and a big white foam head the quickly dissolves to a sheet on the surface. An aroma of corriander, orange peel and yeast float above the beer. The taste is somewhat mellow and reminiscent of a wheat beer. Spices (mainly corriander) and orange citrus seem to dominate with a malty sweetness holding everything together. A slight spicy taste is left behind.

I find this beer to be quite drinkable and is often the best beer on tap at restaurants that mostly serve macro's. I also remember what it was like before Coors bought Blue Moon and find the current version not as tasty as it once was.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazed brownish golden color with an off-white head.
Aroma is really good at first, but seems to fade and worsen once the head fades. Orange and lemon with low-profile yeast. Fresh at first, but turned a bit musty once the head faded.

Taste is on the sweet side. Toasty, caramel malt flavor. Citrusy orange and lemon flavors. Low yeast profile. Hops attempt to balance, but fall just a bit short. Touch of mustiness.

Mouthfeel is a tad watery.
Good drinkability.

This is the best beer Coors makes that I've had. Solid, but nothing exceptional.

2.57/5  rDev -24.6%

Blue Moon: Hey bartender, keep the damn fruit away from my beer. What’s with the orange with this beer anyway? Did Coors issue a press release to bartenders that their beer should be garnished with a big old slice of orange? Did I ask for a big fat piece of citrus with this beer? Cripes.

I drank the first one, after fishing the damn orange out of it. I’ll review the second one. Alrighty then, it’s a bad wheat beer, that being said, I’m a big fan of wheat beers, and thus it did tend to hit the spot. Cloudy wheat beer, but missing that banana aroma and taste that is typical with the style. Again it went down well, but my lord there are tons better.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%

Not a great example of a Belgian White. Head dissapears quickly and tastes a little thin for a wheat. Not a heck of alot of flavor to it either, but it washes down pizza rather well. This style should have some decent spice presence to it and is lacking big time. I'll stick with the Allagash White from now on.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%

This is the beer I drink when I can't get to Maine or Mass to get the real deal-Allagash,but thats another review..
When poured properly, leaving a little in the bottle and swirling to decant all the sediment,Blue Moon has a very nice cloudyness.
Gold with a slightly orangy hue,it hold a modest head as it goes down.
The aroma is filled with belgian character and spices.Coriander,orange,citrus,lemony tartness.Fairly straightforward as far as the belgian character goes,nothing too funky.No hops are apparent.
The mouthfeel is decent with good carbonation and thin to medium body.
Lots of flavors to take in, and the tartness from the wheat and assorted spices keep you returning for another sip.
Citrus notes,some pepperiness,and friuty esters.
Not a whole lot of complexity though.
This beer grows on you and I have come to enjoy it from time to time,and it's available just about anywhere, at a reasonable price.
One of the very few "micro style" beers that have been sucessfully brewed and sold by the big guys.
Blue moon is really good with Mussels steamed in it with garlic and butter.A bag of chips on the side and maybe some pickeled hop shoots.

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer is a fairly cloudy orange color. Not much of a head to notice. It tastes similar to other wheat beers, a little softer than some though. I didnt like it is much this time as i remembered liking it before, but it still is pretty tasty. Nothing amazing however.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

This was my first experience of a belgian wit so I decided to revisit this beer. I enjoyed befor because I've never had anything like it before, but now after having other belgian wits, this was very dissappointing. It has a cloudy orange color with a nice white head, but I expected the pale golden color that is characteristic of most wits. This looked more like dirty water. It was served with a lemon which in fact helped the aroma. The taste was slightly citrusy, but not enough to make this a refreshing summer beer. I only enjoyed this years ago because it was different (for me), so it looks like Coor's had a good idea. If Hoegaarden and allegash white were as widely available as this though, I don't think this would sell very well.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

This is a decent beer that really seems in place this time of the year. The color is a cloudy amber orange, rather on the light side. The aroma was a bit light but scented of fruity citrus and a hint of grain. Mostly citrus on the taste with some mixed hops sense. Overall a fairly enjoyable beer.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

Well, I am not going to give this a rating based on the if you look at who brews it then it's pretty good. I don't care who manufactured this beer, I am convinced after having in the bottle, CO2 pressured keg, and good old keg party tap. If you look at this one in the glass it pours a cloudy orangish gold hue with a creamy carrot tinted head that is rather pleasant in appearance and taste. It's aroma is primarily coriander (orange peel), but the wheat based goodness also comes alive with every inhalation. The taste is a sweet version of a classic style that a mass production company acually put some care into to bring out a decent white beer. For that reason I have respect for this beer, definitely something I would always give a tasting to. Very drinkable this is a great beer that I will enjoy again and again.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 3.41 out of 5 with 7,198 ratings