Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,625 | Ratings: 6,772
2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

from the tap. poured a cloudy yellowwith hardly any head and no lacing did not put the orange in that they servered with it as a garnish. aroma, yeast, citrus, orange and lemon.flavor about the same.smooth could be one of those you could have a few of not to bad

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Puny withering head. Cloudy amber color. Aroma is of a rotten grain field. Flavour is bitter but not pleasantly so. Stale wheat thins and urine. Smooth and almost refreshing mouthfeel is murdered by unpleasant taste. Not a fan of wheats but I can appreciate one if its good but this is not. Would rather drink natty lite. Save your money and buy something better.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a quick disappearing head. Smells of orange peel and coriander... tastes like carbonated water with a faint hint of citrus...and some chemicals.. boring. I'd rather have a Hoegaarden... Originally reviewed this beer out of a bottle and gave it a D+ rating... the can is a tiny bit better.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottle poured into a globe glass.

Look is golden orange like you took a light american lager and poured orange juice in it.. Unfiltered as a wheat beer should be.

Smell is too much orange for me , it doesn't get easier after a few, it gets worse.

Taste is actually pretty decent compared to the smell , not too orange of a flavor .. Little bit of sourness but not much hops bitterness.

Feel is full bodied, the mouth feel is one of the most positive aspects of this beer, it's not watery at all.

Overall I would drink one here and there but it's not sessionable to me so I wouldn't buy a 6-12 pack of this.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Man I hate reviewing Belgian whites. I know I'm supposed to be rating this bad boy vs. the style, but most whites I've had just sicken me, for some reason. This one, uniquely, doesn’t, but I blame that on a lack of flavor. Pours a cloudy golden, not white at all, so I can understand this being a wheat beer but not a white. Smell is potent of that typical wheaty "white" smell, unfortunately I dislike that smell quite a bit. Taste is not that complex, just wheaty and simple, and a little bit sickening. What can I say? Those who like these love them, but I just can't do it.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz bottle - 3.2% ABW. Pours a very cloudy and murky golden almost brownish. It has a fizzy white head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is yeast, corriander, wheat and some musty fruitiness.

The flavor is pretty subdued for a wit. There's sweet malt and wheat with some yeast and spiciness but it's pretty far in the background. It has a slightly bitter finish. There's some unpleasant acidic mustiness. The mouthfeel is pretty watery and undercarbonated.

Overall, a decent offering by macro standards, but pretty substandard for a wit.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Appearance- a cloudy, watery yellow. Little head that died down almost instantly.

Smell- strong citrus and coriander. No yeasty smell.

Taste- fairly watery and just kind of a letdown in general.

Mouthfeel- again very watery... as expected. Waaay too much carbonation.

Drinkability- a very dull beer. I think the overwhelming orange attempts to mask the inferiority of everything else.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is now available in the UK, the big supermarket chain called TESCO has it on it's shelves. I thought I'd buy one because I've had it on tap in the US and wanted to see if it was better in a bottle.

Poured into a 'Good People' glass: the 355ml bottle produced the same murky moody looking dishwater colouring, the head although wispy and thin it was better than the tap version I had.

Almost odourless in the smelling stakes, some weak wheat/corny hints but nothing much at all really.

The flavours were also fairly weak as well, a fizzy watery mess to be honest, no true Belgian feel to it at all.

Not impressed one iota. Can't believe my scores given for the on-tap version were so kind.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Artificial. That's the word that best describes this beer. I must somewhat preface this by saying that if I knew that it was made by Coors, I wouldn't have purchased it. Anyway, it pours a somewhat strange, yellow-brown color. It looks, well, artificial. Virtually no head at all. The smell is perfumy, if that makes sense. It smells like artificial jasmine/honeysuckle, somewhat like an air-freshener. The taste is sort of like domestic beer with flavor added, and tastes extremely flowery, but, yes - artificial. If there is any somewhat redeeming quality, it has a decent mouthfeel, somewhat peppery and light. It is also somewhat drinkable, because of it's lightness. Don't be fooled by the "Belgian White Ale" label. It's domestic swill.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Since I was not in Mass, I had a rather poor selection of beer at my local Stop n Shop. The most interesting thing tonight looked like this Blue Moon Belgian White. Since I found out it was from Coors, I wasn't expecting much. I wafted the brew once opened, it was reminiscent of Coors Light, having a very 'macrobrew' stench. It was smoother than other Coors beers (as a white beer should be), but just seemed like a Coors Light clone with a little 'unfiltered' taste mixed in. All in all, I was not too impressed.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured to a nice golden color, hazy as expected. Unfortunately, the faomy white head dissipated alomost immediately. This was very light, with a hint of fruit, but no aroma that I could detect. My wife would probably enjoy this, especially ion a warm summer night, but I want more beer taste.

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is a very average beer in my opinion. I poured it in a hurricane glass and cut an orange to garnish it with. It is more tart than other beers I have had and I am not one for tart beers. I recommend it on a cool, relaxing night while sitting by the fire.

Cheers!

2.55/5  rDev -25%

I drank one beer as is and one with an orange wedge, the orange wedge improved the taste of the beer, but the review (to be fair) is of the beer alone like all my others.

Appearance - A bubbly, fizzy, and murky off-amber color that looks orange. On all of the pours only one had a head that was a thin collar that vanished shortly later. No lacing left at the end. This beer is highly carbonated but not as bad as some other macros or a soda.

Smell - Big on wheat and orange. The orange is a rind and cider kind of smell with all the appropriate hints of spice.

Taste - Similar to the smell. It leaves a metallic aftertaste that fades away to the usual macro lemon-rind. This beer is also surprisingly sweet, not in the good or fruity kind of way but like it was brewed with a lot of sugar. The orange rind made it more palatable but it also made it like an bitter orange soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy and tangy similar to a flavored tonic water. Light bodied and a smooth drink. Sadly this is the beer's best quality.

Drinkability - Well, its smooth and light like I mentioned in the mouthfeel so it isn't hard to drink but why bother? This is the kind of by the fire in the winter-time beer to warm you up but its not that enjoyable even in that setting. I felt gassy in-between sips.

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a hazy dark yellow with a huge head.

smells initially of grain, with some wheat and coriander as well.
tastes of grainy, wheaty malt with orange peel and spices. not much depth or any reason to continue drinking.

mouthfeel watery, slightly dry.

not recommended. every bit of flavor that could be appreciated (wheat, coriander, orange(also...orange?)) is swallowed by the adjunct grainy flavor. a poor example of a belgian wit.

2.57/5  rDev -24.4%

Blue Moon: Hey bartender, keep the damn fruit away from my beer. What’s with the orange with this beer anyway? Did Coors issue a press release to bartenders that their beer should be garnished with a big old slice of orange? Did I ask for a big fat piece of citrus with this beer? Cripes.

I drank the first one, after fishing the damn orange out of it. I’ll review the second one. Alrighty then, it’s a bad wheat beer, that being said, I’m a big fan of wheat beers, and thus it did tend to hit the spot. Cloudy wheat beer, but missing that banana aroma and taste that is typical with the style. Again it went down well, but my lord there are tons better.

2.57/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a pale yellow with a slight clarity, reminding me of lemonade. Two finger white, creamy head. Not much nose, all I could gather was cereal grains. Taste was a lot of citruis and cereal grains (wheaty like a hefeweizen). Flavor was very bland. Light and crisp on the tongue, thin texture. Average beer, but disappointed as a "belgian style." Flavor was not there, not recommended as a session beer.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

"There's a bad moon on the rise." -CCR

Opaque orange with an itsy bitsy foam collar around the glass. I'd blame the poor appearance on the pour but, in retrospect, I've never seen a good looking Blue Moon draft.

Smells like moldy orange. I like funk but mold is going in the wrong direction. Tastes like orange Gatorade. Soda-like carbonation. When I went to Ireland a few years ago they had a sports drink that was pretty much carbonated orange Gatorade. This could be one and the same.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

This poured a hazy straw yellow with white head. It smelled like sour lemon and standard Belgian wild yeast, and some salt. It tasted like creamy lemon and orange hops, with wild Belgian yeast and wheat malt. It was watery with some carbonation, with a faint sour aftertaste. Overall this was not bad for a generic wheat ale. It had surprisingly decent flavor and body, and therefore drinkability. Perhaps it's generic composition is better suited for me, since I'm not a wheat ale fan.

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I love this style so sorry to be so harsh coors, but hey...! The color is a murky mess of an imitation. Aromatics are marketed towards the "sweet tooth" American palate. Damn it! Not all of us are sweet toothers!!! The mouthfeel is light and quite carbonated. Flavors are of an oversweetened, overmalted attempt at a belgian wit. Mostly malt dominates the nose and taste, while an infusion of orange and coriander makes a clumbsy appearance. Tastes like a coors silver bullet with a tea bag infusion. It would be a preferred beer to most other coors products for me though, so the drinkability gets rave reviews!

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, head appears properly, but dissipated way too quickly, it was gone in seconds.
Bready aroma, with banana, some orange peel.
Banana follows through to the taste, joined with rice and grain. A chemical undertone to the taste. Too sweet.
Light feel, again too chemical and medicinal to me.
Does not compare to a real Belgian.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a hazy, opaque, orange-yellow coloring with a fluffy, light, bright white head. Aromas of citrus and bready yeast, light and balanced, but nothing special sticking out to me. Flavors are bready, with a clove spicing and citrus highlight. Well blended, but the carbonation and spicing makes it slightly sharp in mouth. Fruity, effervescent aftertaste that is bordering on overly sweet. Frothy, carbonated finish. The flavors just don't hold up enough against the light, carbonated body. Meh.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

Ap- Hazy orange/yellow, very small head, and light to no lacing.

A- Smells of orange, coriander, some spiciness, and wheat.

T- Tastes of bland wheat, dried up, old oranges, some spiciness, and it leaves a bitter, bland, dry aftertaste.

O- I was really disappointed with this beer, because I like the others of its brand. But this beer was not at all what I thought it'd be like. It was fresh, and well refrigerated; and even with all that said, I still can't say anything positive about it from a personal opinion. It's good quality beer for the price, and it's worth a try. I know a lot of people who drink Blue Moon Belgian White and love it. But this is just not for me. I don't claim this to be a bad beer, but it's not something I'd buy again.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

I got a bomber of this at WalMart for about $2.50. I've seen this for years and never tried it because I heard it wasn't good. They started selling some bombers so here goes. :)

serving type: bottle
appearance: drinkin from the bottle. it has a nice inch of head that's it's retained from the 10 minutes it's been open.
smell: citrus, hops
taste: hops, some bread, slight citrus
mouthfeel: since coors makes this i'll say better and more "real beer like" than coors.
overall: i'm not really keen on the taste but it's cool to finally be able to try it. it's gonna be hard to finish this bomber since the taste is not that enticing. the logo on these blue moon bottles is pretty generic and ugly.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow, straw color with a finger of head. Sad looking lacing betrays large bubble structure, which brings down the 4 I was going to give the look. Smell is sharp citrus, orange and a little lemony. Not much else comes through. I really don't like the smell. Much better than the smell. Starts off with the sharp citrus but lends itself to a nice grainy tone. Both flavors fade together. Not very complex, but not bad. Feels chewier than expected, a little too sticky for the style, maybe. Pretty much an OK beer. I'd rather drink a straight Budweiser, though, I think.

2.62/5  rDev -22.9%

The appearance was cloudy and yellow with a small head and little lacing. The smell was promising with orange and coriander, but the the taste was so watery it spoiled everything for me. The taste was not awful or anything, but like someone mixed half beer and half water to save money. The spices were decent and near the end I kind of got used to the wateriness. Of course the mouthfeel was watery, but still a drinkable beer.

I had this beer once before and don't recall it being anywhere near this watery. Perhaps I'll try it again sometime.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company