Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Ratings: 6,937 |  Reviews: 1,653

1.33/5  rDev -60.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. No freshness date, but label says it was brewed in Toronto, copyright 2007. Stored in the dark confines of 12-pack (11 more of these? YIKES)

Not the first time I have had this beer by any means. Coors has so successfully saturated the market that it is the only "witbier" style beer to be found in many a bar across the land, served with a ubiquitous slice of orange. These bars mean well, I just wish they could realize how misguided is the choice to serve this stuff. I feel the need to get this review on record. A friend who thinks he likes it bought some and popped one. Luckily, he also bought some Hoegaarden to compare and he is learning.

The straw-amber brew is mildly hazy and raises a tiny white head that recedes to nothing. Ah, that smell. Wretched. I don't know what they do to give it that grassy, unpleasant aroma. There are some lemons and I guess hints of coriander underneath, but maybe there is also good ole American macrolager skunk in there yearning to break free. It actually has some positive aspects to it so I will leave it with a "not impressed" since the good is more than cancelled by that awful stale grassiness.

On the palate the heinous promise of the nose is carried to another level entirely. A watery, thin, rancid mouthfeel carries a lemon-swampgrass taste, with a long acrid finish. Undrinkable. Make it stop.

Edit: Now that I read respected BA members' reviews that aren't as harsh as mine...I doubt they were wrong; I suspect that the mass production (in Canada?) of this product has led to a deterioration of quality. I stand by my review.

1.36/5  rDev -60%

1.36/5  rDev -60%

Review from notes... this is from a while back but I had a Blue Moon recently and it is just as I remembered...

A - poured a hazy amber/yellow with a fluffy white head that disappears in a minute. Looks decent I guess. No citrus in mine.

S - something very strange here, orange peels, pale malts, yeast. Highly unbalanced with a small pinch of hops... ugh...

T - I could not take more than a few sips of this beer. I can do Hoegaarden, St. Bernardus Wit, etc... but this was just god-awful... someone blended some orange juice, baker's yeast, and Keystone Light and called it a Blue Moon...

M - Thin and watery. Highly carbonated.

D - This was a drain pour (again). I've had this from the bottle three times and each time it was a pour.

Overall - I found this to be a horrible attempt at a Belgian Wit beer. If you want a representative of the style, Try Ommegang Witte, St. Bernardus Witbier, or even Hoegaarden. I was extremely disappointed in this beer and wasn't surprised to find that it is made by a macro. Effin wankers.

1.37/5  rDev -59.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.4/5  rDev -58.8%

1.42/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

1.43/5  rDev -57.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.44/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

This beer is horrible!! GROSS! I took 2 sips and couldn't drink it!

1.47/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

As much as I want to like this I can't - way to zesty and doesn't have the greatest look

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

Typical of American beers trying to copy European quality brews, they don't even come close, taste like Coors and that is not a compliment. Read some of the ratings online and on this site and it said Ok - good. I have spent most of my life in Europe and have tried everything from Belgium to Czech, Dutch, and German. That is where Beer tastes best. It's not just just the taste of the beer but the glasses they serve it in and the atmosphere. At home in America I still find that most American beers are mass produced, highly marketed and taste all the same in most cases.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company