Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,613 | Ratings: 6,716
2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

White Ale's are my favorite beer, and this is far from the best I've ever had. Goes down smooth enough, but has an odd after taste. I couldn't even finish the six pack, the taste just got worse and worse. Your better off with a Hoegaarden or Sam Adams White for your money.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy light gold with a thin white head which dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Orange peel, citrus, biscuit, and a slight herbal spiciness.

T: Orange, citrus, apple, coriander, and cracker.

M: Very light bodied, moderate carbonation, very easy drinking.

O: Drinkable. That's about it.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Yellowish orange in color and cloudy of course. The best this beer had to offer was it's smell, which was very strong and full. I noticed right away, though, that it was overpoweringly orangey. I was almost taken aback by the flavor, as I could almost forget I was drinking beer with the over-intense orange flavor. The bar tender asked if I wanted a slice of orange with the pint, which I'm very glad I declined, as the LAST thing this beer needs is more orange flavor. Needless to say it got old fast.

The makers of this brew were able to pack a lot of flavor in there, too bad (in my opinion) it was all way too much orange and not enough complexity.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

I bought a six-pack w/ all the best of intentions.

It smells good. It looks pretty. The head and color are fine. So far, so good.

It has this odd taste to it. It tries too much to be an "artisan" and not enough trying to be a beer.

After the second sip, I was dreading having to finish the bottle much less the other five bottles.

look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

This beer was served chilled and in a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy orange coloration. Tight carbonation dances in steady streams to the head of the beer. The beers head is a thick fluffy white coloration. Good head retention is noted.

Smell: The beer has the expected aroma of citrus and citrus peel. A vague pepperyness creeps around the back of the aroma. Just not as spicy smelling as I expect.

Taste: The beers flavors revolve around a bit of citrus and brief notes of pepperyness. I cant locate any off flavors. I just want more flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation helps with the smoothness of the beer. This isnt a bad beer but I quickly became bored with it.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Why do people like this? It such an uninteresting beer. Sure, its got more flavor that a Coors Light, but come on. And served with an orange? It tastes terrible that way. Aroma is almost non-existent, except for hints of malt and fruit. Taste is similar. Feel is watery, but not terrible. I'm tired of people thinking this is good beer.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Hazy pale straw color with storming activity. Slightly foamy white 2 finger head, lasting around 5 minutes, with faint legs. Flavors of roasted sweet grains, lemon, corn, wheat, faint coriander and floral spices. Sugary with low sharpness. Oily full body with prickly carbonation. Light finish, short lingering sweet malts and soft spices. Okay freshness, a bit flat. Faint flavors and bland. Not a good witbier, overall the quality is mediocre.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Wow, this used to be a favorite beer of mine. I got stuck at a bar with no craft and this was my best option. The ber is yellow ornage with an ok head. No lace. The smell was faint, bready, not offensive. the taste was really underwhelming, with funky, out of balnce flavors. Not very good.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured on draft in a shaker pint. (Hey, it was that or a Bud Light.)
Poured a golden, orange color. Hazy, no foam. Pours syrupy, thick. Aroma is off-putting, a hint of metal? Taste is off -putting as well and there’s a dull finish. The carbonation is present but it’s fizzy, overly-carbonated like an orange soda. I’m thinking Orange Crush without the carbonation and the sweetness dialed down a bit. The beer gave me a headache by the time I finished it. Really, it’s a mockery of the style, and with better options available there’s absolutely no reason why anyone should drink it. The sacrifices I have made!

2.44/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours apricot colored and hazy, with a fizzly white head that dies down quickly. Looks like a rye hefeweizen I made once.

Aroma is very strong of sour orange and coriander. Almost overwhelming.. most witbiers you find these days are a lot subtler with the spices. Sour and rotten.. not joking.. it's like a mixture of oranges and garbage... wtf.

Taste is dominated by sour coriander... way overspiced. I've had Blue Moon before, numerous times, but sitting down with it now does not work for me. Wheat malt taste is apparent, along with the slick mouthfeel that comes with it. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy for a witbier.. very oily.

This is coming up on a drainpour for me, which is surprising. Maybe I only drink these after I've had a few or maybe this bottle is bad, but it's not clicking at all.

2.44/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a cloudy orange color with a decent head retention. The nose reminds me a bit of oranges, but has a nice balanced character.

It tastes a bit citrusy but not much. Kind of a somewhat boring wheat ale. Not bad, but nothing too fun.

The mouthfeel is soapy. Drinkablility is tolerable, not good but tolerable. Its not a very good beer, and for the price there are MUCH better options.

2.45/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had this on-tap at Bennigan's in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

A: Yellow-straw, opaque haze, no head or lace.

S: Mild aroma: Pineapple, pepper, light clove, hint of banana.

T: Wheat, lemon, slight hint of cloves.

M: Moderate body, moderately-high carbonation (too much, but this could be the fault of the restaurant).

D: It's not bad, but I didn't finish it.

2.45/5  rDev -27.9%

an active, bubbly head flares up and dies fast, it was white. the beer is a semi cloudy orange with little activity as far as bubbles commin up. there was nothing in the way of sediment in the bottle. a slight scent, nothing much here, a bit unfocused. fruit of strawberry, zest of lemon and orange, next to no malt or wheat in the scent and a scant bit of spice but it smells pretty lame altogether to me. the flavor lacks a definate wheat there is some wheat like body but the flavor just dosen't have much in the way of wheat or for that matter, much of a malt. the spice in this beer was all alone, stranded and out of balance. corriander was what i thought i noted but all the same it was a vegetable type flavor with the spice. also notable was an aftertaste from hell. it was similar to the feeling of having just drank cokeacola, it tasted fabricated. the mouthfeel was ok i suppose, bubbly and forgivably watery. i didn't like this beer but if i did it would be drinkable, i've seen alot of girls and even a few people with a palate drink this but i don't think i ever will again. i'd take a high life first (i'd also take a hoegaarden first) and only stranded on an island. sorry, i just didn't like it.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Ok more beers in a can! This should be the ultimate quencher here at GOTV and its 100 degrees.

pours into my cup, looks good so far. Super hazy orange color with pure white head. Looks good.

Smell? For some reason I smell oranges and spices like an easter ham. Hmmm. No hops though.

Taste? Not good. I am not enjoying this. Its kind of sweet and syrupy actually. It is clove like and spicy but there is no tartness or sourness or bitterness for balance. It taste like a wine cooler.

The mouthfeel is syrupy. Not refreshing.

I am glad I tried this. But I won't go back.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy whitish-yellow-peach color, with a bubbly head that dissipates quite fast.

Smell: An interesting lemony scent, with a bit of other fruits as well (peach?). A bit yeast aroma is present as well. Doesn't really have the spicy/peppery smell of other white ales.

Taste: A bit of orange and yeast... pretty bland. Really not much here!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied feel. The biggest problem is the carbonation -- it's excessive, feels artificial, and is way too tingly.

Drinkability: It's perfectly drinkable -- nothing bad to the taste, I guess, and the alcohol isn't anything excessive -- but you'll have to bear the mediocrity and the carbonation that can make it a bit hard to swallow.

Overall, a mediocre beer. It looks ok and smells so-so, but the taste is just worthless. Hardly a Belgian white ale, when it comes to smell, taste, and mouthfeel. It has none of the subtlety, spicyness, or feel. Yet somehow it's very popular. Stay away, and get a Hoegaarden instead.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Not a great example of a Belgian White. Head dissapears quickly and tastes a little thin for a wheat. Not a heck of alot of flavor to it either, but it washes down pizza rather well. This style should have some decent spice presence to it and is lacking big time. I'll stick with the Allagash White from now on.

2.49/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured on-tap into a glass mug at a local BBQ place. Served with an orange wedge that I immediately removed. A beer that needs a "crutch" (lime, orange, whatever...) is not a good sign. Amber with a thin white head.

Nothing special on the nose. A little orange peel.

Taste is watery with orange peel. Lightly hopped.

Thin, watery mouthfeel.

This beer is very drinkable. I can easily down a few of these.

12 oz bottle, best before March 12 06 printed on the bottle neck. <br>
Hazy golden in color, small fizzy head.<br>
aroma is wheat, corn, some corriander, maybe some clove, a little sourness.
Flavor was creamy wheat with some corriander spice thrown in.<br>
Not terrible, I could see myself drinking this again, just not paying for it.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Knowing this is a coors product that has "fruit and spices" added, I will be as impartial as possible.
Pours an orangish copper color, hazy, head dis. quickly. I swear American wheats have some kind of odd haziness to them that makes the appearance unappealing. I also know it's most likely all in my head, but it's there nonetheless.
Smell is not overly offensive. I am a huge fan of the German purity law of 15-whatever, and when I sniff something other than hops, malt or yeast I don't like it. BM has some kind of weird spice that would probably be great on broiled fish, but does not belong in beer. It doesn't make me want to vomit, but it doesn't make me want to drink it either.
Same as smell, not awful but not tempting either.
The review ends here. Not good enough to bother with mouthfeel or drinkabliity. It is a good beer if you want to impress your non beer snob friends by drinking an "exotic" bbrew.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honestly wasnt sure what I was gonna get when I ordered this beer. Heard the name so I thought to try it. The appearance was shocking,looked like dirty soapy water,but thats good for this kind of beer?. I smelled orange,because thats what was served with it,and continued to influence the beer when I flicked it off the glass. The taste was fruity sweetness,but flat too,even though it seemed to have a descent bubbly top. I felt like I was drinking a cocktail more than a beer. Overall not a bad experience and was worth trying so I know to avoid again in future.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and alright retention. Colour is a cloudy dark orange. Not real appealing, truth be told.

Sm: Aroma is light in strength. Dirty orange esters dominate. No cream is present.

T: Dirty orange and stale-ish barley are all that come through. Simply badly built (especially for the style) and rather imbalanced. I wish there was more to it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It helps to get the beer down easily, which I suppose caters to their demographic. Doesn't really complement the flavour.

Dr: Drinkable enough. It's better on draught, but not by much. It's sad that a beer requires an orange to taste better. The price is crap on draught for the quality, but a bit better from the bottle. Only recommended for extremist fanatics of the style.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Try Before You Die" -- #13 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This beer clearly has its fans -- just take a look at some of the reviews here -- but I don't get it. Pours a dark golden yellow which isn't unappealing by itself, but doesn't seem to suit the style (which is presumably a Belgian Wit, which is presumably lighter.) The head vanishes very quickly. Nose of cooked grain, a little citrus, a little corn/fritos, maybe a touch of spice but that's stretching it -- really not much more than say a Yuengling with some lemon juice in it.

Mouthfeel is odd, rather thick and gummy to my taste. Not much by way of flavor, does have a sharp finish that isn't unpleasant but I can't taste much of anything in the beer itself, certainly nothing I'd normally associate with a Belgian White.

Best described as a Belgian Wit made by a company that never actually tried one -- just read a little bit about them in other books. Like if the Cold War was going on and Romania tried to brew one, based soley on reputation and what they could discover in libraries. It's kiinndda in the style, but it's a really bad stab at it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty/wheat, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, yeasty, with some spice notes. Medium body. Slightly drinkable, would not buy again.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's not the worst beer in the world, just below average. It's actually on par for a witbier as far a meeting the style. I'm not a fan though and the macro beer drinkers seem to like this beer for the fact that it's served with an orange, like Corona.

appearance: Deep cloudy texture

smell: floral and citrus

taste: citrisy and blank

mouthfeel: watery and heavy

drinkability: It's heavy and I can't seem to drink very many

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells and tastes like celery to me. Yes, I realize that sounds crazy, but I can't get over that when I drink it. I also personally dislike fruit added to my beer (the orange in this case).

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company