Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Reviews: 1,621 | Ratings: 6,752
2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

Looks like you're pouring straw into the glass. Didn't notice much of a scent on this one. There was a wheaty flavor and slight fruitiness, but nothing distinguishable. Fairly light in the mouthfeel department. Pretty drinkable for its lightness, but not a beer I'll be ordering again unless all the other choices are worse.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

This is a questionable beer, I understand how it can be a crossover beer for some, but outside of that, I don't think it's as good as most other brews. Pours out to a cloudy yellow gold color with a large head of white foam that remained consistant. Aroma of wet cardboard and hints of citrus and wheat. Taste is acceptable, yet devoid of any truely enjoyable quality; mild maltiness and grain, mixed with artificial citrus flavors make for a fairly interesting experience, yet not an overly joyful affair. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly, but ultimately average. Drinkablilty is fair. I don't think i'll be back for more

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Deep yellow, with an orangish glow. Small head, with small traces of lacing.

S - Smell is of candied malt, and citrus.

T - Taste is at first overwhelmed at first by a citrusy wave, smoothes out to a slight tangy/bitter aftertaste. All while maintaining it's crispness.

M - Carbonated, and light on the palate.

D - Drinkability is decent, as on a hot day, you could have a few of these.

Not a great example of the style. But, not a bad beer in it's own right. Good thirst quencher and quite smooth. Average all around, and the best Coors brewing has to offer.

1.14/5  rDev -66.5%

Can't remember the details since this was not memorable in a favorable way. What does stick in my head was that it smelled like cheap perfume, and tasted like I would imagine cheap perfume would taste. I do recall that I could not / would not finish the one bottle I tried, something that I have never had the displeasure of experiencing with any other beer. The remainder of the six pack my sister purchased is still in my parents' fridge, and there it will remain until they pour it out on the parched turf here in GA, where there is a watering restriction. I figure the grass will drink anything about now.

2.18/5  rDev -35.9%

Had this beer on tap, poured into standard pint glass. The beer is a cloudy light yellow. The head is white, but fades fast and leaves no sign of lace. Thin mouthfeel. Fruity but bland, slight pineapple, orange, lemon flavors, no hop presence, no malt presence. From what I have gathered this beer is made by Coors and marketed as a microbrew, but has a lot to be desired, not worth another pint.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy pineapple juice yellow, with pale orange hues. The head dissipated so fast I couldn't see it's color, I'll assume it was white.

Smell: This beer smells like peach. If I try hard I can smell some faint grains.

Taste: Notes of apricot and peach, , citrus, tart and dryness towards the middle and finish. Mild hoppy residue left on the palate, a little herbal and spicy. Couldn't get any malty flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and semi carbonated, slips down your throat, cleans the mouth and leaves a little bit of flavor.

Drinkability: Interesting brew, not horrible, not what I expected. It almost seems like an apricot ale attempt. Not very spicy or herbal or wheaty. I can see this being good with some fruit cocktails or something light.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Had on-tap at Miller's Ale House in Orlando. Unfiltered cloudy orange colored with citrus peel, slight coriander and yeast in the nose. Taste is smooth and come across very sweet. Citrus peel and coriander dominate the taste but I can not get past the sweetness of this brew. Overall not a very good representation of a belgian witbier.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a orange-yellow color with a white head. Slightly hazy. The head fades rather quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is citrusy, orange and lemon. Taste is slightly tart. Not extraordinary, not bad.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Drinkability is serviceable. I could have a couple of these without trouble. This is a beer I generally buy due to its popularity with my friends - they love that I'll buy their favorite beer for them. What they may not realize is that it is lower cost than my favorite. ;-)

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a bright, cloudy orange. Lots of carbonation, but a very small head which quickly fades into nothing. It looks more like an orange soda than a beer. Hope it doesn't contaminate my Hoegaarden glass.

At least it smells better than it looks. Tarty citrus lemon and orange.

Very light flavor. A little tangy fruit taste, some wheat, and that's about it. It's not bad, just weak.

Light-bodied, with a lot of carbonation.

Light and refreshing, but then, so is Corona. I could session this one if I had to, but there's much better choices out there, especially for witbiers. After I finish the 6-pack, I doubt I'll ever buy this one again.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

I picked up a six-pack of Blue Moon at a grocery store for my daughter’s graduation party. I have reviewed this beer before on tap, so I thought I’d try it in a bottle. I poured this beer in to a pint glass.

Pours a straw yellow color and is cloudy (unfiltered). A bubbly two-finger white head is gone quickly and produces no lacing.

The smell is fairly strong, sweet and fruity with citrus aromas, lemon and orange, and some melon scents like honeydew or cantaloupe.

The taste is sweet and fruity, with a bit of a cracker taste to it, and a mild hop finish. The flavors are very well balanced.

Mouth feel is smooth, crisp and refreshing

This is a very drinkable beer, fairly light and smooth, with a crisp thirst quenching character about it. I would certainly drink Blue Moon again, although I don’t know that I would search for it.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer pours a very cloudy gold, with a slowly dying head. It isn't really a cloud flowing through beer, it is more of a solid yellow haze. It has very little lace to be found. If you hold a bottle of blue moon up to the light it will glow, very cool.

S: It smells like sweet bread dough.There are also hints of banana. The smell is rounded out with some sweet spice aromas.

T: It is very heavy on the wheat taste. It has some citrus highlights, maybe some banana, cloves, etc. Where is the orange peel burn, or the coriander? Kind of reminds of not just a Pale Wheat, but even a Hefe. Oh well, it finishes suprisingly smooth with a hint of spice and a sweet sour citrus taste. It could be more complex and avoid the sour off taste at the end. The sour taste kills it for me.

M: The mouthfeel is thick. It's very fitting for the look of the beer.

D: It is quite drinkable, but the unfiltered wheat holds it back.

Perfect for a hot summer night, just like tonight.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

This tasting of the 3.2% version that is sold in Oklahoma convenience stores. (I haven't seen this beer for sale in Oklahoma liquor stores)

Citric zingness matched with corriander and maybe cloves sprinkled over a nice wheat malt foundation. Not much hops to speak of.

Pretty golden-yellowish color with a hazy appearance in the glass (reminds of Live Oak Heffeweizen). More golden than Celis Belgian White.

A good choice if it's after 9 p.m. and the liquor store has already closed, especially if you want a change of pace from Shiner and Choc beer.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy yellow/golden color. Wispy head that doesn't stick around.

The aroma of the beer is almost non-existant. What is there consists of a very light lemony citrus smell with light spice.

The taste is decent, a typical belgian white, spicy, wheaty flavor, that is very subtle. Even more subtle is the citrus flavor. The carbonation is low, and the beer goes down smooth.

The beer is easily drinkable, probably it's best asset. There are lots of alternatives that I would choose over this, but you do get some bang for your buck with blue moon, as it's usually pretty cheap.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Poured a very light cloudy copper with an average head and carbonation. Not exactly "white" but OK nonetheless. Nose was strong spice, somewhat medicinal, and yeasty. There was also an unpleasantness lurking, almost like you would taste in infected homebrew. Not offensive exactly, but not pleasant. Almost like bretannomyces. Tasted about like it smelled, with the oddness even more prominent. Maybe it was just too much coriander? The aftertaste was even worse. Mouthfeel was average and the drinkability was slightly below average due to what was already described.

Not sure what to make of this one. It was probably over 10 years since I last had it in a bottle, but I remember I did like it though it was not a favorite. I also had some on tap in the last 6 months and thought it was pretty good. Bad bottle? Taste buds just not in synch with this beer tonight? Will have to re-review it later on to see what's up.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Orangey yellow, and cloudy (real yeast in macro beer!) with a thin, creamy, quickly disipating head that leaves a white scum coating the surface. Smells much like a true witbier, but I detect a sourish off note in the background, hmm. Taste is solid, full, definitely wheat. Not excessively sweet as some wheat beers. There are detectable, husky pale barley malt notes behind the wheat. The finish does taste somewhat macro-lager-like. Mind you, this is a Coors product. The carbonation is a bit high but still good overall. Mouthfeel is noticably light for a wheat beer. Drinkability is where this beer shines, considering it's a coors product, it's macro, and it's low price point. This is the best beer for non craft-beer drinkers to be drinking, and I can down two of these in the time it takes me to get through a bud, miller, etc. It's no competition against good craft beer, but it's head and tails above other american macrobrews. I tend to think there is hope for people who I see drinking this. Not as complex as SA White, but this will do from time to time (albeit infrequently) whenever my stock of it runs out, until next season.

2.89/5  rDev -15%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a single finger head that melts quickly to moderate lacing.
Aroma is sort of strange....wet fabric<?>...maybe wheat with soap<?>
Taste is distinctively American wheat...very slightly sweet...then grainy and peppery on the swallow...slight banana aftertaste
Mouthfeel is thick with carbonation and comfortable.
Decent...forgettable for a wheat...but drinkable.
I do have trouble getting past the pecular smell, however, and am trying to not sniff with each sip I take. This one would be much improved drinking straight from the bottle

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

I've had this before a while ago but I didn't remember anything about it. I tried it again last night. The first thing I noticed about this beer was the smell. It wasn't skunky, but it was not a pleasant smell whatsoever. Maybe I'm just weird. It tasted okay. It was a bit cirtusy in that orange-like sense, but not in a great way. Kind of like Flinstone Kids vitamins. I did finish okay, so that's a plus. I don't think I'd get this again, unless my only option was like Beast or something. But I gotta give Coors props for trying though.

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy lemon yellow color with a modest white head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: What little aroma there is leaves a bit of lemon and wheat in the air

Taste: Inoffensive and bland with a bit of wheat and yeasty notes but nothing else

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thick (although not heavy bodied with modest carbonation)

Drinkability: Easy to drink - I now see why the beer is so popular - it makes the drinker appear a bit edgy without taking any risk whatsoever that an offensive flavor might pass across the drinker's lips

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. longneck into pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a half inch of white foam.

Smell: Lemon-y twang; and just generally weird. Wheat malt?

Taste: Twang from the wheat malt and vaguely sweet in the midle. Citrusy finish. And a weird note I can't identify, but it's a little funky.

Mouthfeel: Light, tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: It's just too weird to session.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured and drank this hefe weizen from the bottle into a weizen glass where it produced a straw/orange, slightly opaque appearance with a medium/large head characteristic of hefe weizens. Being a purest, I initially refused to allow an orange slice to be placed in it, but my friend insisted. The aroma smelled of wheat malt and fruity esters as well as the citrus smell of the orange. The taste was typical of an average weizen that utilized higher fermenting temperatures to produce fruity esters and this was accented further by the orange presence. The taste was refreshing and fruity, but I felt that it was a bit too much for a beer. Admittedly, I haven't tried this without the orange, but I assume it to be fairly average. I did notice a minute amount of clove esters present. The mouthfeel was medium with a medium carbonation. The drinkability was average. While this beer didn't stand out to me as being extraordinary, I still believe it is worth a try and would certainly drink it if offered. A respectable witbier.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a tall creamy white head over a hazy golden body. The head recedes leaving no lace. Faint aromas of coriander, citrus and a bit of sawdust/earth. Similarly, the taste is fairly mild for the style. Smooth sweetness with a slight citric bight toward the end. Medium body and carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

A fairly mild rendition of the style with the signature coriander and citric characters playing minor roles in the composition of this ale. That being said I have found this is a wonderful starting point for expanding the world of the light beer drinker. Granted, Blue Moon is brewed by Coors, but it is a great starting point for moving on to some other Wits, such as Wittekerke, Allagash White or Bell’s Winter White to name a few of my favorites.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%

I'm pretty new to beer appreciation. I've only recently graduated from Micheloeb's Amber Bock to more complex beers, and this is one of my first.

I was leary of the appearance. Light straw colored and looked like there was fine lint making it cloudy. I'd much rather a "foreboding" black beer than one that looks like it has stuff floating in it. The head was rather thin, sharp, not very appealing. Didn't cling to the glass like I like.

The first thing that hit me was the floral aroma. Very floral. It was a little off-putting. I expected the first drink of it to taste like a dandilion, but it was unexpectedly sweet. Once you get past the floral smell you can start detecting other interesting scents. And despite the appearance, the drinkability was better than I expected.

I didn't get as much of the citrus as other people have commented on. Maybe I'm not experience enough yet. I did sense that the bitterness, while light, was not the same "kind" of bitter like most macro brews that I'm used to (and have always disliked.) I can see that it might be more of a citrus bitter than whatever it is that makes Bud Light, for example, bitter. Which certainly made this beer a little more enjoyable than say regular Coors.

I could actually finish the glass, which is saying something for me. Generally the last couple of drinks of a beer tastes rancid to me, but this one remained somewhat sweet throughout. I don't think I'd have this regularly, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down if one was offered to me. I'd recommend it to other people who are just starting to move away from standard American beers into more complex territory.

Addendum: My previous experience has been with a poured glass. I recently tried another one right out of the bottle, and it certainly takes on a different quality.
As a wine drinker I'm well aware that the type and quality of glass actually does affect taste (mainly odor which hugely affects "taste",) so this shouldn't surprise me. But from the bottle the heavy floral taste is minimized, subdued, which makes the beer much more enjoyable. To me.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a hazy golden color with a one inch white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Sweet citrus aroma and a touch of coriander are present in the smell. Definitely a dumbed down version of Wit in taste, but nothing unpleasant. Like a beginners version. Some citrus is definitely noticeable, coriander is fairly minor but present. Not bad, worth a try, and as many have already noted on this site, a good beginner beer to wean people off macro lagers.

Served to me in a pint glass. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a white head. Garnished with an orange slice.

Orange and malt notes come through in the aroma.

Flavor continues the orange flavors found in the aroma. This is fairly sweet, but not in an artificial way. Not very complex, but tasty.

Light body, almost watery. Medium carbonation.

A very smooth, tasty brew good for a hot day. Not the most complex Wit you'll find, but maybe the most easy-drinking.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

A- pours a cloudy orange-yellow, minimal head, and almost no lacing
S- good smell, definately citrusy- some orange and possibly peach smell
T- pretty decent, could use a bit more complexity and a bit less water, but all in all a good flavor
M- medium build, some carbonation, but moves down the throat real easy
D- goes down smooth