Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,618 | Ratings: 6,738
3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Cloudy in a good mellow yellow way. Very distinctive look to this beer. Very little head.

Smell: Fruit and wheat. Nice smell.

Taste:Fruit and wheat smell. Has a smell of its own. Its easy on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean for a cloudy beer.

Drinkability: Usually not my choice but I enjoyed it. Had one with a roast beef, potatoes and spinach dinner. Worked very well with food. Will have another.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

I caught you standing alone. Poured a hazy hefe-yellow color. Helped a little bit with a half swirl pour. Decent head but quickly hides to the edge of the glass

The smell is mostly citrus orange peel. Some wheaty notes and a like pepper aroma. Lighter malts are notable in the background. Some hints of Belgian yeast but mostly clean.

The taste is more along a fruity wit. A good wheat flavor up front with a non-discript malty note that lingers into the finish. A good citrus taste throughout the taste. A finish with a slight peppery taste. Not much of yeast and very smooth to drink. The body is light and very easy to drink.

The body is moderate, a touch sweet for style. Carbonation is good. Overall a bit fruity for style but still good.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%

Went to dinner tonight at a local sports bar. Other than the Bud and Miller, my choices on tap Newcastle, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Blue Moon. I have reviewed both Newcastle and SNPA and haven’t had Blue Moon, so I tried it.

It was served in a pint glass with an orange wedge on the rim. I removed the orange and began to drink…

A—cloudy bright orange/yellow with ½ inch white foamy head, head was gone in a few minutes, but nice lacing was left down the inside of the glass

S—wheat and citrus is all that I can smell

T—citrus and wheat are mixed together really well, nothing bad at all about this one

M—light and crisp, good carbonation

D—I like it. A good standby when your tap choices are limited. I had it with a big plate of buffalo chicken wings and it complemented them nicely.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

This pours a clear yellow straw with very little head. The smell has some yeast and bakery like aromas with some lemon. The taste has a wheat lemon flavor with some citrus and coriander flavors. The m/f is light,but the balance is weak with a very watery aftertaste. Not horrible, but I don't think I'd buy this again. Still for Coors,this isn't all bad.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Translucent clover honey with a white, frothy head. A solid-looking beer; the color along the edges is almost the same as the color in the center. Fair retention.

Smell: Orange, lemon, coriander, black pepper, Earl Grey tea. Something buttery going on, too, almost cheesy.

Taste: Orange and black pepper dominate, with a slight, sweet, yeasty tang. Overall flavor is clean and clear. This would go really well with Chinese food. Or a salad... with field greens, walnuts, mandarin oranges, red onions, and perhaps some crumbled gorgonzola. That would be perfect.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, with a mint-like cooling sensation in the finish.

Drinkability: A great summer brew (why I'm drinking it in the winter, I don't know), and a crowd-pleaser at parties. It lacks the zesty kick of other wits (I long for a Hitachino Nest White Ale), but it would still be a great match for sweet-and-sour and mildly spicy foods.

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

I could say "Mmm, a citrus explosion of sharp, protesting, but coagulating spectaculation."

But I wont.

This beer is incredibly good. Just short of the Belgian excellence that Sam Adams White Ale has achieved, but just short. My number two beer for beers that can purchased at the grocery store. A thick beer with exceptional tastate.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle poured into glass.

A – Poured into glass, but swirled last 1/3 before pouring rest into glass. Very dull and cloudy. Deep yellow, almost the color of wheat itself. Large cap (could be due to the swirling ) but dissipated pretty quickly without much trace except some lacing on top of beer.

S – Wheaty, orange peel, lots of citrus mixing together. Sweet and mild.

T – Citrus, mostly orange. Wheat. Light taste.

M – Carbonation is mellow but some tingles at first. Very smooth and a light bodied. Hints of different tastes, but nothing extravagant. Feels refreshing and finishes the same. Little on the watery side

D – Excellent session beer. One of my personal favorites with pizza and hot wings. Bars like to put a slice of orange on the edge, which helps bring out the citrus even more.

Just average, all around. I wouldn't buy it again. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, so I was pleasantly surprised by the good, up front flavor. It quickly dissipated, however leaving me wanting for something more than that nice approach. Toward the end of my glass, I just wanted to be done with it. The wheat taste was muted and a bit weak, so if it's a true wheat beer you're looking for, maybe look elsewhere. But the beer was by no means bad or offensive, just lacking.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Appears a pale orange/gold with a small white head that quickly fades out. Tiny specks of lacing are left around the glass. I actually lined this up side by side with a Hoegaarden and this was transparent, while the Hoegaarden was hazy and a light yellow.
The smell is of orange peel and wheat and maybe a mild touch of coriander.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild lemon tartness mixed in.
Mouthfeel is sweet, sticky, and thin. Lacks that dryness, spiciness, and true tartness of an authentic Belgian Wit.
Other than that, it was drinkable b/c there was nothing else on tap other than super swill. Sort of a micro/import wannabee's kind of drink.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

A very refreshing brew - had it with a slice of orange. It is a very carbonated beer - Freshness date said Jun04 so I was afraid I had purchase some old beer - but alas I read the coors website and that means June 4th - all dates are a Sunday so you know that means the beer is fresh until June 4, 2006 (182 day shelf life) I think they could have made the whole freshness date issue a bit less confusing.

I think this will be my lawnmover beer of choice this summer.

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Blue moon is just one of those beers that you can't dislike. It please men, women, the young and the old. Pours from the tap with a medium to thick head and creamy yellowish orange in color. Smells of citrus and cloves. Taste is that of ripe orange. On tap the flavor is slightly watered down which is why I rate it below 4.5 to 5 as I would the bottle. This beer goes down smooth as well. Dollar for the dollar this is one of the better beers to buy when you are partying or you are having a beer tasting session.

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into pint glass.

Smell of citrus, lemon, flower, hops.
Relatively good head at first. Laced a bit.
Color was hazy yellow/gold.
Taste was lemon, hops, some malt, grapefruit? A good summer beer. Some put a lemon wedge in it, I don't. It's lemon enough...and too sweet. Fruit Loops anyone
Residual sugars are too much

Had this beer from a 22 draft. The color is a cloudy light tan / straw color, very nice even cloudiness. It has a firm 1-inch head that stays for about the first 1/3 of the session with a little lacing. It has a very zesty citrus and light wheat scent with a nice spicy aroma. Nice orange and wheat flavors with nutmeg overtones. This is a very good Belgium-styled White / Witbier. I was shocked to learn that it's made by Coors! This would be their best beer buy a long shot. This is a really good beer of this style and from an American Macrobrewery (McBrewery)! Wow Impressive.

Update: I continue to like this beer more and more. It’s become on the easy drinking beers when I relax. It is really good and very affordable. I have bumped the numbers up. I still can’t believe that this is produced by a Macrobrewery.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle: This one pours a typical wit color. It is a cloudy golden color with a little bit of a white head. I also noted some sediment on the bottom of the bottle. When did this become bottle conditioned? The aroma is a bit more malty than I would like. The wheat is in there, but it is not as prevalent as the norm with this style. Also, the typical corriander and orange are hard to pick out. The wheat is there in the taste, but as the aroma, it is too subdued. Too much malt body to it. Fair.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Foamy, white head that fades rather quickly. Little to no lacing. Semi-cloudy, thin golden with shades of copper.

Musty and astringent fruity-esters: blueberry and banana. Underlying semi-sweetened wheat aroma; toasted oats and grain.

Astringent-flavored oat and malted wheat flavors. Very sweet, over-the-top banana and orange peel. A touch of dryness followed by an overwhelmingly artificial-like sweetness in the aftertaste. The subtleties of a true Wit are artificially exaggerated here.

Light bodied; the sweetness gives the palate a creamy slickness. Bursts of carbonation.

Light and somewhat drinkable if you can get past the somewhat-annoying sweetness.

2.36/5  rDev -30.6%

Serving: 12 oz. chilled bottle

The pour yielded a firm white head that disappeared too quickly. Color is a somewhat cloudy gold. No lacing apparent upon swirling the glass. At least the cloudiness is compatible with the Witbier style.

Nose is almost non-existant. I wonder if it would be better at room temperature. Taste and mouthfeel are extremely light. There are none of the traditional aromas or flavors of a Witbier. In fact, there is little flavor at all. If I didn't pour it myself, I'd think I was drinking one of those ghastly "light" beers. I was not at all impressed. IMHO, save your bucks for something with more flavor and body.

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

I love this beer, its just as good in bottles. If I'm going to an Applebees/Charcoal Grill/Chilis type restaurant, I will order a couple of pints.

Pours a nice thick white head that stays sticky with exceptional lacing in the glass.
Hints of citrus, corriander and orange. Medium body, but not overpowering. Bronzy/orange in color.
Very aromatic, almost sweet flower like, however, a little over carbonated. This beer for me goes great with fried appetizers, or cheese and sausage. An excellent choice for an "americanized" wheat beer.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a cloudy orange yellow with bright white head, which has some ability to stick to the glass. Smells of citrus. Lots of carbonation- so much so that I noticed the yeast particles in this beer having a hard time settling down as they were in a constant state of cycling down mid-glass only to be brough back up by bubbles. Has a creamy cheese taste to it that I haven't experienced in any other beer. One of the first non-macro beers I tried and it was one influence in opening my eyes to other styles of beer, so for that I am greatful.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Poured a straw color with bubbly head and lots of carbonation in the glass. Very small head that went away very quickly, no lacing observed.
S: Smell is of citrus flavors with some peppery scents as well
T: Citrusy, corriander are both very present. Slight yeasty flavor. I love the taste of this beer.
M: Maybe a little overcarbonated, however it goes down pretty easily.
D: I do love this style of beer, this isn't the best I've had in the style but pretty darn good. You can usually find this beer even in bars that are Bud/Miller/Coors heavy cause its very popular, therefore its usually kind of a fall back beer for me.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Blue Moon Belgian White and Killian's Irish Red are (in my opinion) in a completely different league than the rest of the Coors Brewing Company line of products. I must admit that Witbiers are not my favorite style, in fact I did not used to be much of a fan. Recently some better micros have come my way, and I have an open mind to the idea but it won't ever be my preferred style.

This beer pours an hazy yellow/orange. Small white fizzy head does not last long. Minimal lacing. It has a slight musky citrus smell. I got hints of subtle yeastiness and wheat in both the smell and the taste. The taste seems very straight foreword to me. Nice spices but not nearly the complexity of a Victory's Whirlwind Witbier. The simple straight foreword flavor probably does increase the marketability to the general macro drinking population. There really is nothing offensive about this beer (even though I don't find it overly interesting). I think it may be plenty refreshing on a hot day. It feels very bubbly and active in the mouth, but a bit empty (thin) at spots. It is crisp and refreshing. Given the brewer, it is much better than I expected, but I'm not going to go seeking it out on a regular basis. Overall; it’s an easily accessible, acceptable beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

This beer is one of my personal favorites I have had it in abottle and on tap. If there is a beer I want with my meal it is this one. It pours a creamy yellow color and a nice smaller white head. some places serve it with an orange on the glass I prefer to throw that to the side right away. the taste is so smooth, fills the mouth with flavour but not to much, this is why it is good with food it will not overwhelm your food. this beer is common from what i have seen so if you havent had it do so.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. Like the guy whose review is just below me, Coors briefly had me thinking this stuff came from a microbrewer. And let me say I'm also impressed Coors was able to make this. This was my introduction to Belgian Whites, and its quickly become one of my favorite beers. The color is a sort of light gold, but on the cloudy side. The head pretty tall and better formed than I would have expected in such a fizzy beer. The smell is very pleasant with some citrus and a little bit of spice besides. Taste is pleasant and refreshing. It's light, with some sweetness, and some sourness that adds pleasant depth, rather than a perception cheap hops. Plus there's a bit of spice in there. Mouthfeel is fizzy and fairly light, though not at all watery. Drinkability is pretty good because this is a light and very pleasant beer. But not great because of the acidity. Hop presence is rather slight since a lot of the flavor comes from spice and other flavorings. I'd definately reccomend this, although I have to admit Hacker-Schorr Weiss was definately better still. It was a surprisingly decent introduction to a new category for me, and if I couldn't find, or didn't want to pay for a bottle of that Hacker-Schorr Weiss, then this would be my choice for someone who's new to beer, or who says they don't like beer.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm not much of a fan of the belgian wit style anymore, which makes me a little more critical of it. The one I last had was not what I expected. It had a lot of corriander flavor, and unlike other's, I didn't get any orange flavor at all. I think the one I had was old, which tends to dissipate the orange and strengthen the spices. I remember it being a little more drinkable than the one I just had. It has a good appearance--I had no idea Coors knows how to not filter beer.
It has good carbonation which is appropriate for the style, and overall I'm pretty impressed Coors came up with this. I don't think I would have ever tried it if they didn't trick me into thinking Blue Moon Brewing company was some kind of microbrewery!

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Haven't had this one in quite a while...

Not really any head at all - maybe it was a bad pour by the bartender. Extremely cloudy & pale... almost opague. I like the way it looks.

Couldnt pick up too much of anything in the nose. I was in a bar.

This doesnt really taste like any other witbier I've had. Very fruity... lots of bananas, some citrus underneath. Something else in the taste makes me think of peaches, as well. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth enough. Not watery. Goes down easily.

Very high drinkability. I could have several without getting sick of it.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Surprisingly drinkable and refreshing brew. Cheers to Coors. Hopefully they will take the huge increase in sales of this product to produce more of this quality.

Appearance: Twist off cap with May07 date printed on the glass of the bottle by computer. Not sure what the date means, but I'll assume it is drink before date. Nice pale hazey golden color. Good pillowy white head with some lacing that doesn't linger.
Smell: Very faint citrus scent and maybe a mellow sweetness about it. I cannot place it but I like it.
Taste: Nice citrus and some other flavor I cannot place.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.
Drinkability: very nice.