Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red AleBlue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Score:
Ranked #47,064
3.15 | pDev: 16.83%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
Notes:
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 371
2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

I like that Blue Moon is branching out. That being said, this is not good. Weird taste, kind of bitter mixed with a higher alcohol taste even though the ABV isn't very high. Just a weird brew and not like other Reds I've had. I've even had other macro reds that were better than this (which I guess this is macro too, but still I would think Blue Moon is a little better than traditional macros. Not the case with this.)

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blue Moon Brewing Company "Farmhouse Red"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "AUG1715" although I don't know if that's a production date or expiration date.

Interesting beer... I didn't know what to make of it at first. Would it really be sour like a Flander's red? And the answer is yes, but only so much so. It's not as solidly flavored or malty as a true Flander's red, nor as sour, but it's pretty decent. It's got a nice fruit component to it that includes some dark skinned fruit (fig, raisin, etc), as well as bit of caramel; and this is actually a new kind of beer, a saison blended with a Flander's style red, so I guess that's OK but I'm not really getting the Saison side of it. It's there, balancing and softening the sourness (no real funkiness), but it doesn't quite come through on it's own which leaves the whole thing kind of neither here nor there. Would I buy it again? Yes, I think it's interesting and refreshing, however, it really leaves me yearning for a true Flander's red and that's actually a little bit bothersome for me (and quite expensive to buy!). I'm distracted with every sip because it hints at something I'd really like, and yet cannot have. I give it a 4 for effort in the overall category because it's unique, but the appearance (limited head and lacing as a blend), aroma (lacking), and mouthfeel (a little thin for either saison or Flander's red) all need a little bit of work.

As an aside on a more personal note, I'm pretty excited that Blue Moon is branching out, and I'd love to see them actually produce a full-on Saison and/or Flander's-style red ale. If they keep going in that direction they could (theoretically) break through the "Coors-owned" negativity that so many aficionados seem to harbor - to me, if it's good beer it's good beer and I don't care where it came from.

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Undated 12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours dark red-copper; clear with a fairly durable head bone-colored head.

Aroma: neutral rather than appealing or off-putting, but then I am not a fan of most farmhouse ales. Floral and yeasty with soft ripe fruit notes.

Taste: a modestly appealing fruity flavor with a sweet/tart balance leaning towards the tart side. Hints of strawberries. Tame and mild for style. Flavor declines in the aftertaste.

Medium body and medium+ carbonation; soft and smooth.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich amber color with not much of a head. Smelly slightly tart and peppery but not much of an aroma. While I'm not a hardcore sour drinker, I would still consider this a VERY mild sour beer. Its mostly sour upfront, with crisp finish that doesn't linger. I got a little pepper bite, then the sour, then finish with the sweetness of the malt. Its pretty drinkable.

Overall, for the style its not great. I would describe it as a slightly sweeter, slightly sour Killians but with a less thick body. I would never recommend it to a sour beer fan.

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a 12oz into a pint glass

L: Amber in color with about an inch of light tan foam. Head did not last long but collapsed to a thin layer on top of the beer.

S: mild tangy with a hint of spice. Lightly citrus.

T: Slight sour with a hint of bread.

F: Smooth with a small bite from the carbonation.

O: since I really do not know what a true Saison is supposed to look, smell, or taste like I liked this and would drink it again happily.

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - darker shade of yellow with a finger of white head that disappears as quickly as it comes. Leaves no lacing.

Smell - A touch of funk and hay.

Taste - Hay predominant, moderate bubblegum.

Feel - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

Overall - It was an average brew.

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

I'll be upfront. Knowing and taking into consideration that this is a Blue Moon that's been brewed by none other than Coors, I'm surprised. It really wasn't bad. Not amazing or bold, but really not bad either!

More of a Saison than a Flouders Red (they claim it to be a hybrid between a Saison and a Flanders Red). No sour notes, nothing bold in the slightest, but it's decently balanced and refreshing.

Don't get hung up on what style it is or should be. It's really not a Saison either and certainly not a Flanders Red. I'm not sure what a better style would be, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. This is a half decent beer from a Macro brewery. Take it for what it is.

1.61/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This is neither a Saison nor a Flanders. Boozy, with a really odd flavor profile - something like a brown ale with a drop of dish soap. Avoid this one.

2.7/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a half finger of head on a clear red body.
The aroma is dry grain and an odd strawberry smell.
The taste has a mildly tart start then into a mild sweet finish.
The texture is light with too much fizz.
It has a weird flavor profile and too carbonated.

1.7/5  rDev -46%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a deep rusted bronze with creamy white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Sweet malts, caramel, grassy hops, berries.

T: Sweet and malty with caramel and the beginning. Fruity and tart on the finish. Kinda weird and not at all what I was expecting.

M: Very light I feel like I'm drinking a wine cooler.

O: If this is a farmhouse style saison. Then I am the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ.
It isn't a drain pour but honestly I don't know what the f*** I just drank.

4.73/5  rDev +50.2%

Wow.

Finally an ale with a full bold flavor but light enough to be refreshing and easy drinking!

Just enough bite on my tongue with a hint of sweetness and fizzly satisfaction for aftertaste.

This beer is a home run!

3.15/5  rDev 0%

I don't know a lot about Saisons, but the subtle combination of flavors present in this beer doesn't strike my fancy. The white pepper sits awkwardly on my palette, not a desirable level of spiciness.

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear coppery color with off-white head. Caramel malt and some spice on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied for a red ale. Finishes bland.

3.59/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L - Dark bronze, or amber color. Clarity was clear, no haze at all. Head was 2 full fingers when poured aggressively. Head retention was minimal. Left a thin head over the top, and a bit more than that around edge of glass. Color was creamy white.

S - Spicy and sweet. Smelled clean and fresh, reminded me of earthy or grassy notes. Spice was a concoction or mixture of different things, nothing stand outish. Cirtus, or more like a fruity lemon. Smelled tarty and sweet. Interesting combination.

T - Taste was sweet and malty in the beginning. The tart comes right at you. Sweetness and malt. Spices and caramel. The hibiscus is much more pronounced than I had expected. Finishes clean and with a highlight in that sour/tart area noted previously. I noticed very little yeasty flavors as this one was very clearly filtered (unlike most of the others of this style).

M - Light/Medium body, fairly carbonated. Did not make me very burpy. Drier finish.

Overall this beer is fairly solid. Admittedly, I know little about Siason's or Farmhouse Ales with the exception for what I read about minimally before I drank this one. It was clean, and refreshing. The hibiscus notes are more pronounced than the other expressionist beers Blue Moon/Coors produced (like Rounder Belgian Pale Ale) but it was definitely intended to be more of a highlight. Drinkability of this one may still be high for most fond of the tart finishing, drier brews. I could drink quite a bit of these I think.

What makes me sad is this one may fade into the retired section, or annual release only if Blue Moon does not make it a regular flagship beer. This as an expressionist release is pretty good by the standard of what they are currently putting out year round. This one, along with Rounder should be regular finds, all year, if the ingredients and people in charge of brewing permit it.

3.75/5
Better than I expected, but for the ones who like tart, dry finished beers.

Assuming I'll have to defend my tastes this beer is awful. Thin, lacking flavor and just terrible. This coming from someone that usually defends the big boy options.

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Never had saison, but I imagine like any of the BMC offerings in their "styles" this is an interesting introduction. I enjoyed the tartness and the pepper notes. I taste a bit of lemony zest with what I describe as a wheat taste. Considering I only know blue moon for their wheat beer, I'm not surprised honestly. It also reminds me a bit of Chimay. I imagine it is the yeast. For not knowing what a Siason is suppose to taste like, I am now interested even if this is a gateway. I'm usually a hop head and a stout-monger; it's nice to find something new to adventure into.

3.34/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle, this saison pours a brilliant clear ruby red with a very nice frothy foam head and spotty lacing. Nose of caramel malts, some yeast esters, and some light pepper notes. Flavors are sweet with a balanced tartness and a light pepper flavor in the back along with some yeast undertones. Decent for what it is, a stepping stone towards other styles. For that they should be praised, for making a Saison they miss the mark.

3.16/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle from the latest mixed twelve. Clear, red color, ruby. Aroma is malt and a bit of a different yeast. Flavor is malt and a touch of pepper on the finish. This really sin't a saison or a flanders red but it is very easy to drink, simple.

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color. The head is a finger high and off-white in shade. Retention is terrible...typical of a sour ale. Wha, don't tell me Coors has actually pulled off a proper Flemish red?! (3)

Smell: Very mild aroma here. Touches of caramel, touches of grain, and some tart apple are basically the entire aroma in a nutshell. Maybe an additional touch of diacetyl exists, too. To answer my earlier question: hell no, they haven't. (2.5)

Taste: I actually do pick up white pepper notes near the back end (shame it doesn't taste like it derives from saison yeast, though...) The initial flavors consist of toast and caramel, while it finishes with a mild - and I do mean mild - tartness. Very bland and inoffensive - in other words, perfect for the Blue Moon crowd. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Light but a bit sweet, it doesn't have the dry, rustic feel of a proper saison. It goes down easily due more to its dinky flavor than any sort of mouthfeel triumph. Carbonation is low, making it seem syrupy. (2.5)

Overall: I was ready to congratulate Coors on stepping out of their comfort zone by brewing a saison/Flemish red hybrid. Well, they haven't. This is just a regular red ale with a touch of strange yeast. While not actively awful, it's just too weaksauce for me to want it again. (2.5)

2.63/5: Saison? Flanders Red? Hey Coors, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you...

2.57/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter.

2.25 A: Clear light amber color. One finger of foamy light tan head that falls as quickly as it forms.

2.75 S: Tangy toastiness with caramel. Tart apple. Simple, but not too bad. Doesn't smell like a saison at all though. It may smell like a dilute flanders beer though.

2.5 T: Tastes like it smells, but even weaker. Toast, caramel, a touch of tart fruit. Ehhh.

2.75 M: Light body. Good moderate carbonation. Just the slightest creaminess.

2.5 D: It's not terrible, it's just not very flavorful. It should do well with it's targeted audience though. It's neutral and not powerful enough to overwhelm the taste buds.

3.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm sure this gets a bad wrap here because it's Blue Moon, but this is actually a decent beer. Certainly not everything you'd expect in a flanders red, but enjoyable nonetheless. Light and smooth with slightly prickly carbonation and just a little tartness in the finish. Overall flavor is on the tame side, but still pleasant. Not ashamed to admit I've enjoyed several of these recently. Used a bottle to slow-cook a pork loin and it resulted in the best pulled pork I've ever made.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aan Amber colored beer, this brew has a medium white head and is essentially clear. The smell is a of fruit, with a little twang. A bit of sour notes in the taste, along with an underlying sweetness. Medium malt flavor...which comes out more in the smell after a few sips. Medium to light up n body. Okay.

2.02/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Not great ! Not as bad as the blue moon original, I didn't even drink that one but I think I really just forced this down so I would convince my self to buy another sampler 12. THe others are soooo good! I will try to give this away or cook with it. Not drinking it again! GROSS!

2.28/5  rDev -27.6%

I always get upset whenever my beer label has the audacity to lie to me.
It's a button that gets pushed sometimes.
This beer pushed that button by using the word 'Flanders' on the label.

Tastes and smells like a watery and weak Saison with just a glimpse of vague pepperiness and a strangely medicinal / vegetable aftertaste that I think was their attempt to be 'Flanders'. No, it's not a proper Flanders sour taste. It's more like... the flavor that very diluted cough medicine would have mixed with canned lima beans.

I was not a fan.

3.72/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass

A: One finger off-white head that diminishes quickly. Burnt orange-red body. Visible medium-size bubbles rising to the top. Carbonated.
S: Cereal grains along with a orange/cherry fruit-like scent. A little metallic smell as well.
T: Light cereal grains give a sweetness to the ale followed by a fruity sourness. Taste of cherry. Sweetness and tartness in the aftertaste.
M: Medium bodied. The tartness is interesting.
O: I do not know much about saisons, but the sourness in the ale sets it apart from other domestic brews. Alright.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 371 ratings