Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red AleBlue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Score:
Ranked #47,131
3.15 | pDev: 16.83%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 371
Reviews by NeroFiddled:
3.73/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blue Moon Brewing Company "Farmhouse Red"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "AUG1715" although I don't know if that's a production date or expiration date.

Interesting beer... I didn't know what to make of it at first. Would it really be sour like a Flander's red? And the answer is yes, but only so much so. It's not as solidly flavored or malty as a true Flander's red, nor as sour, but it's pretty decent. It's got a nice fruit component to it that includes some dark skinned fruit (fig, raisin, etc), as well as bit of caramel; and this is actually a new kind of beer, a saison blended with a Flander's style red, so I guess that's OK but I'm not really getting the Saison side of it. It's there, balancing and softening the sourness (no real funkiness), but it doesn't quite come through on it's own which leaves the whole thing kind of neither here nor there. Would I buy it again? Yes, I think it's interesting and refreshing, however, it really leaves me yearning for a true Flander's red and that's actually a little bit bothersome for me (and quite expensive to buy!). I'm distracted with every sip because it hints at something I'd really like, and yet cannot have. I give it a 4 for effort in the overall category because it's unique, but the appearance (limited head and lacing as a blend), aroma (lacking), and mouthfeel (a little thin for either saison or Flander's red) all need a little bit of work.

As an aside on a more personal note, I'm pretty excited that Blue Moon is branching out, and I'd love to see them actually produce a full-on Saison and/or Flander's-style red ale. If they keep going in that direction they could (theoretically) break through the "Coors-owned" negativity that so many aficionados seem to harbor - to me, if it's good beer it's good beer and I don't care where it came from.

ummmm...i'm only putting this review in to remind me never to drink this again

3.44/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.3/5  rDev +4.8%

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

3.08/5  rDev -2.2%

3.36/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company, on sale at the local grocer. Eh, what the Hell, right? Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a 3/4 finger thick head, dark copper transparent body, and somewhat decent lacing.

I can't process what it is that I'm smelling. Not very strong a scent, I can tell you that. Hmm...Not bad, but nothing heavenly. I'm fairly neutral here.

Initial taste is like a nicely-done shandy or radler with its clean tartness. There is also a faint sweetness throughout that I can't really say WHERE it is, exactly, it is coming from. All in all a very balanced brew with its mysterious components doing the job quite nicely. Clean,dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Blue Moon Farmhouse Red has zero lingering elements for me. Quite refreshing for Ohio's asphyxiating humidity during the dog days of summer.

Overall a respectable 3.5 for Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company. This was my first of this seemingly revivalist style of brew. But hey, its back for a reason! I may buy this brew again.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.34/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle, this saison pours a brilliant clear ruby red with a very nice frothy foam head and spotty lacing. Nose of caramel malts, some yeast esters, and some light pepper notes. Flavors are sweet with a balanced tartness and a light pepper flavor in the back along with some yeast undertones. Decent for what it is, a stepping stone towards other styles. For that they should be praised, for making a Saison they miss the mark.

3.04/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

3.15/5  rDev 0%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 371 ratings