Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red AleBlue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale
Score:
Ranked #47,155
3.15 | pDev: 16.83%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 371
3.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices, yeast, fruit. Taste is cherry, light spice, a bit of hops, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

2.3/5  rDev -27%

12 oz bottle poured into a pub-style pint glass.

Appearance
Reddish-amber with 1 finger of creamy head. Excellent clarity with light carbonation.

Nose
Caramel, apple, earth, and aluminum.

Taste
Caramel, earth, and metal. Some apple notes. Strange black pepper notes like they used actual table pepper instead of utilizing the Saison yeast.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, and semi-drying from the spice.

Overall
A poor Saison. As for the Flanders component, I'm pretty sure Miller-Coors has no idea what a Flanders Red is.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a copper color with a red tint to it with a nice 1 inch head that hangs around a bit leaving lacing down a goblet glass.

Smell is decent. I get a fruity smell, cherry I think, along with some maltyness.

Taste gives a sweetness up front, I get the cherry. Middle of the taste turns to tartness and a more full flavor with some bisquety bread. The end leaves a slight cherry/spicy flavor as an after taste.

Mouthfeel has a medium feel to it with smooth bubble character.

Overall, worth trying but not so impressive. This bluemoon sampler pack that I bought was less than impressive. I think I will stick to the Bluemoon Belgian white when I feel like a white but other than that I believe Ill pass on its other offerings.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

No clear bottling date.

Appearance: Cloudy caramel color with a bit of a maroon tint. Sudsy two-finger off-white head.

Aroma: Dry spice, bread.

Taste: This beer is all over the place. There is a leading prune flavor above crisp hop bitterness as well as an odd tartness. I imagine the prune/fruity flavors come from the yeast esters as the hop character is more earthy. The malt presence is bigger than I expected but doesn't have much flavor apart from light caramel. All the flavors just come together strangely and don't quite mesh. The finish is uninteresting and leads to a prickly aftertaste. Not sure they got it right with either of the styles they were trying to make a hybrid of here.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium and a bit heavy on the carbonation. Decent drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Blue Moon bunts it with another confusing and thoroughly overthought brew. I can't imagine anyone fool enough to buy this more than once. I only came across the single bottle from a beer trade with friends, friends who don't know much about beer. But I also think Blue Moon is comparable to dishwater. Would I drink it again? Ah, no.

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Doesn't quite deliver what it promises. Some malt flavor with hints of orange and toasted nuts. Lacks yeast and tart character. Tastes like a Blue Moon Belgian white crossed with a weak red ale.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I bought a six-pack of Farmhouse Red Ale in a grocery store, poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a light shiny copper color, clear, with a thin white head. JUst a few bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell is faint, maybe a hint of rasins.

Taste is fairly sweet, some sweet bread and spice flavors, with very mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin and a little flat.

Overall I make this an average amber. Call it what you will it's an amber, and I'm not a big fan of style. Still a nice fall beer, but I doubt I'll have it again.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked FEB0915-CO5101734. Sampled on October 3, 2014.

Reddish brown pour with a short lived off-white head. Good clarity.

The aroma is more like caramel malts with a touch of dark fruit. I think I expected something more from the style.

Light to medium body.

The taste is quite sweet and caramel-like more than fruit and spice.

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

Pours a copper red with a 3in white head. Smells of clover and tart. Some grains. Taste is good. A lot better than George Killians. Tastes smooth of tart and sweet cloves with a hint of citrus. Well balanced. I'll buy this again

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear reddish copper color with a finger width beige head that fizzes away like soda, leaving only a patch of suds on the surface. Lacing is small and spotty with no stick.

Smell - A predominant wheat aroma with a light fruity sourness and slight spice.

Taste - Wheat hits first, then a lemony sourness. Slight spice and apple sweetness near the finish. Bland wheat aftertaste once the sourness fades.

Mouthfeel - Light, watery body with prickly carbonation.

Overall - A particularly uninspiring brew for what, at least on paper, sounds like an interesting hybrid. Not well executed, resulting in a pretty simple flavor profile for what should have been expected, and it leaves much to be desired. In the least it's drinkable, but most beers are.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Copper-red with a big head of foam that disappears quickly. Decent lacing and a ton of carbonation.

Smell: Apple, banana, bready malt.

Taste: Caramel, grass, spice, yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp and dry with very little in the way of finish.

The Verdict: It's ok. More flavor than I'd expect from Coors, but they still fear overdoing it. The taste is very muted so they offend as few people as possible. So far it's the best Blue Moon I've tasted, but the bar is set very low.

An uninspiring beer that is MOR, but given the choice, Killians Red has this covered in the bang for your buck stakes.

The other issue is that this beer wants to be very good, but approaches the style in a very wishy washy way that annoys me. Has elements of a good farmhouse ale - color, aroma, and the combination of tart and sweet with a dry finish, without really giving any of those things a real chance to shine.

The nose is weak sour vinegar, caramel malt, apple juice and pear. The flavor is a bit off as the tart is sort of sour and not a puckering Flanders type of tart. This is more malty than most of either advertised style. It has an apple juice sweetness and is incredibly thin.

Blue Moon products are usually above average and good examples for the price but this missed the mark.

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

"An intreguing interpretation of a Saison blended with a...(Farmhouse Red)...Flanders-Style Red Ale, with hints of white pepper and a tart finish." (verbatim)

Let's see if they're bluffing. Of course I don't know because I've never had a Saison.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance (3) : Caramel color, light body and transparent, with a three finger sudsy off-white head. Minimal lacing and odd moldy-looking top (again).

Smell (3.5) : Smells like a sour amber lager. A little wet towel. Much like Batch 19 or Fat Tire. Notes of damp moldy wheat, cracked barley, malts, some banana, light boysenberry, soaked grass.

Taste (4) : Surprisingly great. Full of flavor and it has a great finish. I'm getting granola, ripe/juicy grape tomato (when you bite into it and it squirts ripe tomato juice), green bell pepper, hints of walnut, a little bit of rye bread. Some tart berry flavor faintly floats in. Sour and tart meet spice. Finish is superb and aftertaste is great. I'm not sure how Saisons are SUPPOSED to taste, but if they're like this, then I'm in!

I also had an apple picked fresh from our apple tree (braeburns are the closest I can think of) and this beer complimented that nicely. So yep, there's some apple going on here.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Wet and slippery with a very slightly papery dry finish. Carbonation is in the middle of the body and seems appropriately placed.

Overall (3.73) : I almost want to say that this is a Clamato done right. Insomuch as, I don't like Clamato but I do like the ripe tomato tartness that's here. The spice and the tart come together nicely and the over-ripe tomato just makes it exciting. Slight sourness that gives it a kick. Not sure if I taste the white pepper but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I'd buy a sixer of just THIS type of Blue Moon. Forget the variety pack. This is a good one, right here.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

From a twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to December 2014.

Grassy aroma. Pours coppery orange with decent beige head. Head retention is poor, leaves an oily film with no lacing to speak of. Taste is funky, musty, berry like. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Strange brew!

Bottle: 12 OZ brown glass bottle with an orange, black, brown, white, and red label. Capped.
Color: Pours a cloudy light brown that shows a lot of fine clinging bubbles.
Head: Creates a very poorly retained one finger head of small and very small white bubbles that immediately falls back to a thin halo.
Aroma: Up front there are smells of caramel malt, some apple cider, banana, the smell of salty water, and some yeasty dough, that does not have a particularly Belgian smell to it.
Taste: Interesting. The flavor at the beginning is of slightly metallic caramel, with some oats and banana in there. Towards the middle is some green pepper, a bit of sour earth, and some leafy hops. The finish is rather short, and balanced, with a mix of the malt and the hops flavors, with a slightly floral tinge.
Overall: I suppose that this has some of the attributes of a saison, but at the same time, it also tastes like it is trying to be a Flemish sour. It fails at both. It needs more complexity and depth of flavors, as it comes across as fairly half-hearted. 5 out of 10 overall, 3 out of 10 in-style.

2.62/5  rDev -16.8%

OK, I am keeping an open mind, but this is the Saison category. Label says "Saison/Flanders Style Ale." Pours an attractive coppery reddish amber with plenty of head.

I suppose you could say the slight sween 'n' sour taste is a nod to Flemish tradition. There is a little malty interest with some slight Belgian yeasty tang. However, as you sip this seems to have all the unpleasant features of cheap beers-- metallic aftertaste, dishwatery bitterness, musty nose, sweetness like a medicinal coverup.

This is filtered clear to the bottom of the bottle. I think it will be awhile before many of the industrial brewers can see yeast in their bottles without a shudder. From the 12 oz bottle in a six pack purchased at The Market in Anacortes, Wash. I poured the first one out after a couple of gulps, so I thought a more pensive tasting would be in order. It's just very anemic and seems like a collection of off-flavors in search of a style.
3.75 3.0 2.25 3.5 2.25

From a sampler pack at a neighborhood party. I concur with the review by beergoot. Reminded me of a light version of Monk's Flemish Sour Ale. Very enjoyable and I will definitely seek this one, if affordable, out as I am a fan of the style.

3.56/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark copper body with a rich, fluffy, very light tan head. Fruity nose; banana and apple; cereal grains. Slightly tart flavors; estery; biscuit and lightly toasted grain. Medium body; crisp and semi-dry finish.

A surprisingly decent beer. It looks and feels better than it tastes, but the taste is rather decent. It won't stun anyone, style-wise, not set the bar for a classic farmhouse ale style, but it is easy drinking and does present some mild yet interesting taste components.

3.26/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Amber hued with a half inch head of tiny beige colored creamy suds on top. Light Brussels lacing. Aroma of pepper is prominent along with light malt. The pepper is dominant on the front of the palate. It is also dominating the fade,but there is some light malt to smooth it out. The mouth is smooth and creamy.

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale brewed By Coors brewing Company. This brew pours out a light brown color with a small white head. The smell of this brew is corn and grains. You also pick up on some bitterness in this brew. Now for the taste of this brew, it is smooth but rich. There is a hit of spice at the end. This brew is different from most brews I had. There is nothing over powering in this brew. I kinda like this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth and refreshing. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. I would get this brew again.

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company, on sale at the local grocer. Eh, what the Hell, right? Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a 3/4 finger thick head, dark copper transparent body, and somewhat decent lacing.

I can't process what it is that I'm smelling. Not very strong a scent, I can tell you that. Hmm...Not bad, but nothing heavenly. I'm fairly neutral here.

Initial taste is like a nicely-done shandy or radler with its clean tartness. There is also a faint sweetness throughout that I can't really say WHERE it is, exactly, it is coming from. All in all a very balanced brew with its mysterious components doing the job quite nicely. Clean,dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Blue Moon Farmhouse Red has zero lingering elements for me. Quite refreshing for Ohio's asphyxiating humidity during the dog days of summer.

Overall a respectable 3.5 for Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company. This was my first of this seemingly revivalist style of brew. But hey, its back for a reason! I may buy this brew again.

3.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'm not a huge fan of Red Ales but this came in a medley 12 pack. The beer tasted a little sweet like all red ales do for me but I powered through because even a red ale tastes better than a Coor's ( wait they brew this one, hmmm).
Two of the 12 pack are reds so ill have to try out the second to make sure I thought it was ehhhh!.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 371 ratings