Coors Banquet | Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
coors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Coors Banquet is brewed with 100% Rocky Mountain water and Moravian barley from many generations of family farmers. True to its roots, it is brewed only in one place, Golden, Colorado, and nowhere else.

Ingredients: Water, barley malt, corn syrup (dextrose), yeast, hop extract

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 2,955 |  Reviews: 737
Reviews by DoctorStrangiato:
2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a 710-ml can into an extra large draught glass.

Appearance - pours a clear golden colour with not much head that quickly goes away and average carbonation. Zero head within 2 minutes of pour.

Smell - very clean smelling beer, full of sweet corn and very light and tinny hops.

Taste - simple, sweet malt over a slight aluminum bitterness that is over-carbonated and lacking in any noticeable flavour. While there are worse beers this is not good at all.

Mouthfeel - even enough but the annoying carbonation makes me remember days when I didn't know what good beer was.

Drinkability - there's a box of wings in the oven, it's the only pairing, along with a slice of pizza that does any justice.

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

I get why people hate this beer. Truth is I used to as well. I'm not sure if it is just getting older or having tried every beer under the sun it seems like in the last 10 years and just getting palate fatigue, but I drink the heck out of this stuff these days.

While I still love stouts, porters, IPAs, trappists, and a myriad of other beers, sometimes I just want something cheap and simple. I reach for Coors for the same reason I reach for a good cheeseburger - I'm not looking for craft or to have my mind blown. I'm just looking to suck down something familiar and unwind a little.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of light beers, but I have had to become a hair more conscious of the calories stacking up as my 30s press on. My days of downing a four pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute and the subsequent 1200 calories are a bit behind me. Unfortunately, the American craft word is cuckoo for IPAs still, and while there are some good things going on with lagers and session ales, they are few and far between still at the local megamart. Seriously - I can walk across the street to HEB and find probably 20 different craft IPAs but not much in the way of lagers aside from the usual macros. Luckily, more session IPAs seem to be coming to market, but even so, sometimes I just want that white-bread-hint-of-mold drinkability of an adjunct lager. In my opinion, Coors does that better than anybody. Better than Budweiser, and don't even get me started on High Life.

And if you hate that, I get you and probably can't argue any of your points away. Coors is a Wendy's cheeseburger, a Clive Cussler novel, as summer blockbuster, or a Katy Perry single - not exactly high art. However, I contend sometimes you don't want high art. Sometimes you want mindless entertainment; sometimes you just want something cold and familiar.

3.57/5  rDev +37.8%

Crisp, Smooth, Clean, Crushable

After more than a decade, I thought I'd revisit this one now that I live in Colorado. Lively, bright, and pale yellow with a short-lived foamy head. Soft cereal grains in the nose with faint hops. Light bodied, very crisp and smooth. A thin, crackery malt base with a hint of sweetness joins light corn flavors, a gentle smack of bitterness, faint citrus rind and a soft Juicy Fruit gum-like note. Banquet finishes clean. Uneventful, but insanely crushable and refreshing.

Update: As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #110 (March 2016).

-----

12oz brown bottle. No freshness dating.

Pours a golden hued pale / yellowy brew, with a slow moving tight carbonation that forms a quick lived snappy head that settles to a decent white-ringed lace.

Faint notes of grain in the nose, hint of floral.

Fairly smooth on the palate, tight and tingly carbonation scrubs and livens with a bit of a creamy feel being created. Crisp. Even mouthfeel, with a distinct mineral quality. Subtle sweetness blends with a watery lemon-lime-rind-like hop character with a splash of bitterness to balance out the malty sweetness. Clean finish, with little residuals, though adjunct flavors and a rougher feel on the palate become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Coors Original is a bit more flavorful vs. some of its competitiors, with a fuller, more rounded body. For what it is, and keeping the style in mind (unlike most of the other reviewers) ... it ain't all that bad.

4.35/5  rDev +68%

As of this posting - oh man, is it good. Soooooo good.

I've sampled Coors for many, many years - pretty much ever since they went to national distribution. Back in the late 1970's, Coors was legendary - the most desired beer in the country. At the time, Coors didn't ship their beer east of the Rockies. It speaks to the integrity of the company - they refused to compromise their beer by exposing it to the deterioration it would undergo in a lengthy shipping route. Finally, in the early mid-80's, they began shipping eastward for the first time, and they did it in super expensive refrigerated trucks. They demanded that stores keep the beer refrigerated, to preserve quality. Most retailers only sneered. One retailer told me this when I asked about refrigeration of their Coors product: "Pffffftt".

Over time, the flavor of Coors varied greatly. By the 2000's, for whatever reason, it had declined. It tasted thin, winey, and sour. It lost favor among beer drinkers.

The flavor has continued to vary, year to year. For example, at this exact time one years ago, I tried some, and it was passable, but amazingly lacking in flavor - like some flavor-free light beer.

I don't know what's happened, but the batches I've sampled today [time dated May 2017 and June 2017] is super-chock full of lush, delicious beer flavor. No, it's not some weirdly and amateurishly unbalanced, overhopped, fruit-flavored, cement-mix-thick, chocolate-coffee-black flavored ale, stout, porter, or Draino bev; but it is a first class, pure American style lager.

At least as of now, this is one of the best American style true beers - beer, not ale, etc. - available. Three cheers!

3.36/5  rDev +29.7%

Not everyone wants to spend a lot of money when they want to relax with a few beers. When you don't want to spend a lot you are kind of limited at the store, when it comes to cheaper beers you've got your Budweiser, coors, miller, Dos Equis, ect. And as far as those types of beers good this is pretty good. I personally can't stand Budweiser so I decided to try banquets a while back and I really enjoyed them. This is a very drinkable beer with a pale yellow color. Upon pouring it has a light foam head that as many other reviewers have noted dissipates very quickly. The beer itself has an aroma of wheat corn and alcohol. The flavor is very similar, a light corn flavor with an aftertaste of alcohol. It's not bad, I totally reccomend it.

3.74/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it as a middle of the road beer. If you're not looking for ibu's and high avb I think it's a good old fashion American beer. Sorry if my opinion is 'unrefined'.

3.88/5  rDev +49.8%

The trouble with beers like these on a site like this is the knee-jerk reaction to rate them against their "craft" brethren, which honestly isn't appropriate. It would be like rating an IPA poorly because it doesn't taste like a BBA stout. If I'm being honest, I probably have several unfair old reviews of similar beers I probably should edit to reflect a more fair criteria.

Crystal clear with adequate carbonation and fairly lackluster head retention, as to be generally expected in this style.

When had fresh, there is nothing offensive happening on the palate or the nose. Just a smooth, clean, crisp malt profile with a little corn sweetness. Barely a whisper of hop presence, basically enough to dry out the finish. Quenching with no significant aftertaste.

For what this is - an American Adjunct Lager - its quite good.

3.65/5  rDev +40.9%

This beer is the quintessential "session" beer. Good taste, cheap as hell, and easily accessible. The only thing bad about Banquet, is the reputation it's gotten (based only on price...in my opinion).

4.66/5  rDev +79.9%

I don't care what you beer snobs say. This is good American beer! Sweet and malty just like I like! Love the stubby bottles. Must be ice cold to enjoy at its fullest. To me this tastes good. that's it!

3.15/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured from one of the stubby grenade sized bottles this beer has a very pale yellow color. It is very effervescent. Some light barley malt, cereal grains(think Cheerios), and a very subtle corn sweetness make up the nose of this beer. I cannot detect any hops. The taste is actually a pleasant surprise for a beer in this category. The malt is light but detectable, and the cereal grains add a unique but not offensive flavor. Combined with the watery thinness of the beer and the carbonation, it is good and refreshing. This all adds up to create a classic American style beer that is above average in taste and drink ability. When I want a beer I don't have to sit around and ponder, I usually go for the Coors Banquet.

I remember Coors not selling this beer east of the Mississippi River. I had my first one in 1973 when in Colorado and thought, why all the fuss. I started brewing beer in 1985 and began to appreciate how well made this beer is. Nice hop malt balance and you can taste the malt on the finish. A clean light beer, something that is harder to brew then the ales and lagers with higher gravities and more hops. There is no hiding flavors here. A great work of brewers art.

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours clear, pale yellow in color with one inch head. Taste is clean grain. High carbonation, sweet, and super light bodied. Crushable, but I prefer other beers in the style.

3.5/5  rDev +35.1%

L: brilliant straw with streams of rapidly rising bubbles under a thin white cap with poor retention

S: The aroma is low to moderately low. It smells of light grain, white crackers, and a faint hint of bread dough with very light sulfur in the background.

T: flavors are low to medium low and very clean and smooth with a light corn sweetness, very faint fruit and a hint of apple

F: highly carbonated with a very light body

O: as close to nothing as you can get

3.69/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer came from local to national prominence when I was a kid, back in the 1980's. I couldn't wait until I was old enough to sample it. There is nothing offensive about a Coors, especially in their distinctive cans (can beer rules). Nothing really outstanding either, but wake up people--that, to me, is what beer is all about. It's a staple drink, according to my philosophy, not a statement. Beer snobs piss me off, I'm sorry. Still, Coors tends to be more pricey in my market than AALs of similar quality.

4.43/5  rDev +71%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I know that the American Adjunct Lager is not exactly considered an art form among beer enthusiasts, but for what it is, I consider the Coors Banquet beer to be a shining example. Sophisticated though it may not be, to me this beer is described as simply drinkable and pleasant. Especially considering the price, you can't go wrong with it.

Out of the 1936-style "stubby" bottle, it goes down like water and has a humble malt character that seems to have a particularly American ring. A quotidian workhorse!

4.08/5  rDev +57.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very full-bodied beer. Pours a golden color with a fizzy head that recedes quickly. Smells of sweet corn and wheat. It has a good grain taste with a somewhat strong sweet corn finish. Has a great amount of carbonation and goes down smooth. A very enjoyable beer.

Had to rate this one all 5's. Just trying to balance all the ignorant reviews. Half of the guys on those site don't really have a good palate, don't drink much, don't live in beer towns like I do. Durango, Colorado. I drink more craft beer brewed in my town than 90% of these "bros" and reviewers. Half you morons are saying Miller high lige and PBR are better. That's laughable. This beer is decent for the price. Decent flavors. Def. Can tell its made with decent quality barley malts, grains, and hops. Better than PBR, Busch, any miller, bud, and all the other american adjuncts. Keep drinking your Milwaukee's best "bros" . I'm sure that's a craft beer in your minds.

It is a good all day drinking beer. Better than many other beers of its mass market genre. Has a little flavor, but not much. Pretty average all in all though.

2.91/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

High-clarity, well-worn-golden appearance, buoyant with fast-and-fat bubbling a, thin-trimmed with a very white rim of head, within which traces of expressed carbonation swirl. "It smells like beer," for better or worse, is probably the most that can be said of Banquet's aromas—but neither do that have that stale, spilled-on-a-stadium-floor stank of many adjunct lagers (particularly those of the "lite" variety). And, poured out its stubby, "vintage" bottle into an authentically-1980s-vintage Coors-stylized stubby mug, it honestly doesn't present an uninviting façade.

The addition of corn to the grain-bill is the prominent adjunct, with a substantial creaminess that takes this larger pretty near the frontiers of a cream-ale; it's held back from going that far, however, by a dryness that's presumably carried through by a conservative dosing of rice. The other flavor qualities, too, are otherwise smooth: a bit of that lagery yeast-fruit quality, very minor malt bite, and a mouth-feel that's thin overall but actually somewhat thick and velvety for a macro-adjunct. Yes, there's a bit more wateriness than one would ideally want, but—all-in-all—Banquet is a fairly sessionable, solid enough cheapo/macro six-pack.

There are beers one would quite seriously serve at a banquet—and Coors Banquet is definitively not one of them—but one could do much worse wandering craft-bereft aisles in search of *something* fermented, at least partially, from malts.

I've Had Worse, Nice Beer for Golf, Camping, or Yard Work.

2.86/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This was a honestly a pleasant surprise, I was expecting this to be utter crap but it was actually quite nice. It had a bit of flavor, not much but it was there.

2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

24oz tallboy into tulip

Look - About like any AAL out there: that yellow urine thing going on, barely a wisp of head.

Smell - Light crisp and clean cereal grains, but also a touch of metallic and cooked veg.

Taste - All semi-sweet corn-like graininess up front, but ends a little strange like the nose with cooked veg and some odd metallic note. Not as clean as hoped, and a bit astringent. Also, a touch of hop bitterness on the end appears to balance with a hint of grassiness.

Feel - Appropriate for the style, the carb is lively and prickly, but the medium body is very smooth and somewhat creamy. They nailed the feel pretty well, actually.

Overall - Well, I tried to not be a snob and rate this as honestly as possible, and ya know what, it's actually not too shabby. The flavor that's there isn't great, but generally inoffensive and easy-going, and the body is very well done - easily this beers best attribute. Just kinda says "Just a simple beer".

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

When looked at as a golden ale (I'm not pro) it has a smooth taste with a small honey like after taste. Definitely the affordable drinkable beer at the pub. *Must be poured in a glass

3.17/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz stubby bottle bb 1/29/18 poured into a vintage Coors balloon glass at fridge temp 5% ABV. The beer pours bright light straw yellow with less that 30 seconds of off white head. No head or lacing remains past one minute. Aroma is straightforward AAL. The taste is a bit sweet with a little fruitiness (presumably from the yeast). Mouthfeel is thin bodied, well carbonated and almost dry with no real bitterness. Overall, ok. Nothing special, but not flawed and laden with off flavors either.

4.33/5  rDev +67.2%

A perfect beer for what it is. Nice flavor and easy refreshing reliable stand-by. Sometimes I don't want to roll the dice after I'm done cutting the grass.

Coors Banquet from Coors Brewing Company