Coors | Coors Brewing Company

CoorsCoors

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewing with water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

2.7

Reviews: 684 | Ratings: 2,787
Reviews by mfnmbvp:
2.03/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date reading August 19, 2013. My first encounter with a bottle of regular Coors, expectations are low, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy fizzy bubbly head that we know all too well, recedes quickly into nothingness. Body is a pale straw color, mostly very clear with some bubbles rising to the top.

S - Smell is of faint corn kernel, dusty malts, and water.

T - Taste is comprised of watery corn husk grains, some brisk carbonation, a bit of noticeable alcohol fumes, and wet cardboard. You're not missing much here; I should have probably left this one in the bottle.

M - Feel is crisp, carbonated, & clean, with some wet cardboard / corn husk flavor lingering.

Overall, you aren't missing out on much if you haven't tried this beer yet. As is the case with most cheap, sh**ty American adjunct lagers, if you've had one, you've had most of them. And this bottle of Coors is no exception. I think it is safe to say at this point, that if I had to choose, I would probably opt for the Coors Light or some other "light" adjunct lager. As others have said before me, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go.

Coors ---2/5.

3.57/5  rDev +32.2%

Crisp, Smooth, Clean, Crushable

After more than a decade, I thought I'd revisit this one now that I live in Colorado. Lively, bright, and pale yellow with a short-lived foamy head. Soft cereal grains in the nose with faint hops. Light bodied, very crisp and smooth. A thin, crackery malt base with a hint of sweetness joins light corn flavors, a gentle smack of bitterness, faint citrus rind and a soft Juicy Fruit gum-like note. Banquet finishes clean. Uneventful, but insanely crushable and refreshing.

Update: As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #110 (March 2016).

-----

12oz brown bottle. No freshness dating.

Pours a golden hued pale / yellowy brew, with a slow moving tight carbonation that forms a quick lived snappy head that settles to a decent white-ringed lace.

Faint notes of grain in the nose, hint of floral.

Fairly smooth on the palate, tight and tingly carbonation scrubs and livens with a bit of a creamy feel being created. Crisp. Even mouthfeel, with a distinct mineral quality. Subtle sweetness blends with a watery lemon-lime-rind-like hop character with a splash of bitterness to balance out the malty sweetness. Clean finish, with little residuals, though adjunct flavors and a rougher feel on the palate become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Coors Original is a bit more flavorful vs. some of its competitiors, with a fuller, more rounded body. For what it is, and keeping the style in mind (unlike most of the other reviewers) ... it ain't all that bad.

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

I get why people hate this beer. Truth is I used to as well. I'm not sure if it is just getting older or having tried every beer under the sun it seems like in the last 10 years and just getting palate fatigue, but I drink the heck out of this stuff these days.

While I still love stouts, porters, IPAs, trappists, and a myriad of other beers, sometimes I just want something cheap and simple. I reach for Coors for the same reason I reach for a good cheeseburger - I'm not looking for craft or to have my mind blown. I'm just looking to suck down something familiar and unwind a little.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of light beers, but I have had to become a hair more conscious of the calories stacking up as my 30s press on. My days of downing a four pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute and the subsequent 1200 calories are a bit behind me. Unfortunately, the American craft word is cuckoo for IPAs still, and while there are some good things going on with lagers and session ales, they are few and far between still at the local megamart. Seriously - I can walk across the street to HEB and find probably 20 different craft IPAs but not much in the way of lagers aside from the usual macros. Luckily, more session IPAs seem to be coming to market, but even so, sometimes I just want that white-bread-hint-of-mold drinkability of an adjunct lager. In my opinion, Coors does that better than anybody. Better than Budweiser, and don't even get me started on High Life.

And if you hate that, I get you and probably can't argue any of your points away. Coors is a Wendy's cheeseburger, a Clive Cussler novel, as summer blockbuster, or a Katy Perry single - not exactly high art. However, I contend sometimes you don't want high art. Sometimes you want mindless entertainment; sometimes you just want something cold and familiar.

3.74/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it as a middle of the road beer. If you're not looking for ibu's and high avb I think it's a good old fashion American beer. Sorry if my opinion is 'unrefined'.

3.88/5  rDev +43.7%

The trouble with beers like these on a site like this is the knee-jerk reaction to rate them against their "craft" brethren, which honestly isn't appropriate. It would be like rating an IPA poorly because it doesn't taste like a BBA stout. If I'm being honest, I probably have several unfair old reviews of similar beers I probably should edit to reflect a more fair criteria.

Crystal clear with adequate carbonation and fairly lackluster head retention, as to be generally expected in this style.

When had fresh, there is nothing offensive happening on the palate or the nose. Just a smooth, clean, crisp malt profile with a little corn sweetness. Barely a whisper of hop presence, basically enough to dry out the finish. Quenching with no significant aftertaste.

For what this is - an American Adjunct Lager - its quite good.

4.08/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very full-bodied beer. Pours a golden color with a fizzy head that recedes quickly. Smells of sweet corn and wheat. It has a good grain taste with a somewhat strong sweet corn finish. Has a great amount of carbonation and goes down smooth. A very enjoyable beer.

3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

This beer is the quintessential "session" beer. Good taste, cheap as hell, and easily accessible. The only thing bad about Banquet, is the reputation it's gotten (based only on price...in my opinion).

2.91/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

High-clarity, well-worn-golden appearance, buoyant with fast-and-fat bubbling a, thin-trimmed with a very white rim of head, within which traces of expressed carbonation swirl. "It smells like beer," for better or worse, is probably the most that can be said of Banquet's aromas—but neither do that have that stale, spilled-on-a-stadium-floor stank of many adjunct lagers (particularly those of the "lite" variety). And, poured out its stubby, "vintage" bottle into an authentically-1980s-vintage Coors-stylized stubby mug, it honestly doesn't present an uninviting façade.

The addition of corn to the grain-bill is the prominent adjunct, with a substantial creaminess that takes this larger pretty near the frontiers of a cream-ale; it's held back from going that far, however, by a dryness that's presumably carried through by a conservative dosing of rice. The other flavor qualities, too, are otherwise smooth: a bit of that lagery yeast-fruit quality, very minor malt bite, and a mouth-feel that's thin overall but actually somewhat thick and velvety for a macro-adjunct. Yes, there's a bit more wateriness than one would ideally want, but—all-in-all—Banquet is a fairly sessionable, solid enough cheapo/macro six-pack.

There are beers one would quite seriously serve at a banquet—and Coors Banquet is definitively not one of them—but one could do much worse wandering craft-bereft aisles in search of *something* fermented, at least partially, from malts.

I've Had Worse, Nice Beer for Golf, Camping, or Yard Work.

4.33/5  rDev +60.4%

A perfect beer for what it is. Nice flavor and easy refreshing reliable stand-by. Sometimes I don't want to roll the dice after I'm done cutting the grass.

3.27/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light golden yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a thick, soapy, bright white foam with good retention. Medium light grainy malt aroma with light crackery notes. No hop aromas. Medium light bodied with medium high biting carbonation. No warming or creaminess. Medium light grainy malt flavors up front that transition to a very light, unsweetened, corn cereal flavor through the middle. Light hop bitterness near the end. Finished dryly with a stale bready aftertaste. Grainy malt and light hop bitterness balance well. Generally lacks character but also has no offensive flaws making it easy to drink.

3.15/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from one of the stubby grenade sized bottles this beer has a very pale yellow color. It is very effervescent. Some light barley malt, cereal grains(think Cheerios), and a very subtle corn sweetness make up the nose of this beer. I cannot detect any hops. The taste is actually a pleasant surprise for a beer in this category. The malt is light but detectable, and the cereal grains add a unique but not offensive flavor. Combined with the watery thinness of the beer and the carbonation, it is good and refreshing. This all adds up to create a classic American style beer that is above average in taste and drink ability. When I want a beer I don't have to sit around and ponder, I usually go for the Coors Banquet.

I remember Coors not selling this beer east of the Mississippi River. I had my first one in 1973 when in Colorado and thought, why all the fuss. I started brewing beer in 1985 and began to appreciate how well made this beer is. Nice hop malt balance and you can taste the malt on the finish. A clean light beer, something that is harder to brew then the ales and lagers with higher gravities and more hops. There is no hiding flavors here. A great work of brewers art.

4.8/5  rDev +77.8%

One of the top brews in my favorite category - the American Adjunct Lager. Tastes great cold out of a bottle on a hot summer day at the ballpark or cutting the lawn. You can't go wrong with the Banquet!

4.05/5  rDev +50%

While the beer looks awful, it is one of the most smoothest, refreshing, and utterly delicious beer I have ever tasted. There is a smoothness present that no other beer I drank has possessed and it leaves no funky aftertaste. There is a sweet malty taste and a crisp hoppy finish that is not bitter. I don't like hoppy beer, but this is amazing. I love this beer. Highly recommended.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

Remember when the only way we could get Coors was to bootleg it in? Those were the days.

I think the reason Coors became so popular with my friends 30-40 years ago was it's lighter profile was just so different from the usual BudMiller type brands. It was perceived as more drinkable than the others and I think that largely remains true today.

Color so light you can read a newspaper through the glass. Light in aroma, texture and flavor, what's there is refreshingly good just not enough to hold my interest. Friends still like it so we usually have some around, at least during the holidays.

Recommend if you already have some and it's raining too hard outside to bother going to the store.

3.27/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Smell of corn, grain, faint hops. Poured down the center of a 17 ounce pilsner glass, producing a 3 inch white head. Straw color. Taste follows the nose. Mostly corn. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. However, once the beer loses temp, everything declines. Drink this ice cold. Overall it's quite good, considering I bought a 24 ounce can for $1.50. Great tailgate or BBQ beer. A little better than Bud or other AAL's.

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

2.08/5  rDev -23%

Appearance – Clear yellow carbonated body with a good-sized head that disappeared in a flash.

Smell – Typical grain and corn aroma with a whiff of alcohol.

Taste – This is really an empty flavor. Straight corn, and that’s all I could come up with.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation isn’t bad for a macro brew, but there’s certainly nothing else in here that would please the mouth.

Drinkability – Unless you’re a big fan of Cornish Ale, I would skip this one.

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

1.83/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

It is what it is. Get it really cold and it will certainly do on a hot summer day.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company