Coors Banquet | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Coors BanquetCoors Banquet
2.59/5
Poor
Coors BanquetCoors Banquet

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Coors Banquet is brewed with 100% Rocky Mountain water and Moravian barley from many generations of family farmers. True to its roots, it is brewed only in one place, Golden, Colorado, and nowhere else.

Ingredients: Water, barley malt, corn syrup (dextrose), yeast, hop extract

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 3,007 |  Reviews: 748
2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Sampling from the 24-ounce can...

Appearance - poured into a half-liter mug, it shows off the typical lager light gold color, thick white head that bubbles down fairly quickly despite some active bubble feeds from below. Looks fairly refreshing but would do better if it could retain at least a collar with all those bubbles coming up.

Aroma - shallow, grainy, slightly sweet. No big deal.

Taste - a little bit of malt taste, mildly sweet for the style. Becomes more sweet on the swallow, a little surprising but not unpleasant. Finishes dry with some lingering sweetness, reminds me a bit of the residue left by NutraSweet.

Mouthfeel - very carbonated, I'm burping about every 2 minutes. Crisp, thin, not much body, but it's okay.

Drinkability - yeah I could drink it again, but not something I'd stock.

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

Ahhh only Christmas day can beat the joy of hearing the following. (Wife speaking) My co-worker is having a cookout and I told her we would be there. Ahhh Good stuff. Walk in to a Huge cooler full of Coors and Coors light. I bite the Bullet (not silver) and pour it into a plastic cup. Light light yellow. Minimal head yet seemingly endless carbonation. Smell of underripe corn, underbaked bread, and well chemical. The taste was bland, with a bizzaro aftertaste. For the first time in a while I immediately offered to be the Designated Driver. Although since the wine was White Zin my wife wasnt really thrilled. The mouthfeel was very carbonated which was good because the bubbles managed to srub away the taste. I swear i was burping this up for a half hour afterwards. I have avoided Coors products like the plague and havent bought one since Ive been drinking. Now i know why!!!! I wouldnt recommend this, and cant understand how it got a reputation as being a good beer at one point.

2.23/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A non-beeradvocate friend left this in the fridge so I thought I'd review it. I'm going to try and do this based on the adjunct lager style so cope with me here.

Appearance: Pours a bleak yellow with tiny white head. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Notes of corn, processing, and something else that may resemble metal are the aromas for this beer.

Taste: Smooth like water, but wait there may be a little something more to this than that. There is a slight hop profile and minimal malt flavor. The carbonation leaves this beer to be very crisp.

Mouthfeel: Considering carbonated water has the same mouthfeel maybe that's a good thing for the style. But not for me.

Drinkability: Well this stuff is almost like gatorade. Aren't you supposed to drink it after working out to get drunk?

1.17/5  rDev -54.8%

My dad would drink Coors when working in the yard. Sometimes he gave me a taste and I'd recoil in disgust. I wonder if this is the root cause for my dislike of most pilsners and lagers.

Too light in color, too distinct in bad flavors, no blending or smoothness of tastes. Not worth it when wanting a drink. If that is my only choice in beer, I'll go with water.

Even Coors Light is easy to drink.

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

What do you get when you take the incredible smoothness of Coosr Light and actually add some taste to the mix? A surprisingly decent beer, that's what.

They only recently started selling this in my area (about 3 years ago), and since I had given up on Coors Light by that time (the beer whose flavorlessness is legendary), I didn't feel compelled to try out its full-flavored counterpart until a few days ago.

It poured very light and unexceptional with a light and pleasant sour smell. It tasted alright, though, a little bit fruity. Like Coors Light, this is as smooth as butter and lightly carbonated, so it's a good beer for people who don't really much care for beer. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, since it's still pretty beery.

3.92/5  rDev +51.4%

This is my favorite macro. Doesn't have much of a head when you pour it, but what macro does? This stuff goes down again and again and always taste pretty smooth and very tasty. In my opinion this American classic has more flavor then anything Bud or Miller puts out.

2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Had one of these while golfing in Phoenix in triple-digit heat. I got a can and poured it into a clear plastic cup. It had the quintissential clear yellow color topped by a foamy, soapy looking bright white head. The head disappeared real fast and didn't leave a trace behind.
The aroma was that of fruity sweetness laced with corn and grain. The taste was almost apple-sweet on top, followed by a more hay-like grainy flavor. Virtually no hops influence was picked up as the finish ended abruptly. The feel was light, crisp and moderately dry.
Given the circumstances (read: I felt like I was standing on the sun), I thought Coors Original was an acceptable beer. It served it's purpose of cooling me down and quenching my thirst. However, given nearly any other option - an SNPA, for example - Coors Original would not be my first choice.

2.15/5  rDev -17%

Again, a touch fuller than Bud. Unlike some macro lagers, Coors isn't clean at all, with a muddled taste of really funky malt. The hops provide no real flavor or bitterness, but are there to dry out the finish, making it "crisp." Also some mild apple notes in the background.

Original Rating: 2.5

Relax, relax.
ng
---
Just barely fuller than Budweiser. Horrible company; but not bad beer. This is Coor's best work. It's Bud with a touch more malt (malted what is the question, though). Inoffensive, decent. Frankly, worth the money if you need a bunch of beers.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%

I have not had one of these in years, but I was attending a graduation party yesterday and this was the beer they had .

Beer has a light golden color with an ok head and not much lacing.

The smell is not very strong. A little corn/rice smell and just a hint of malt. I did not pick-up any hop notes at all. Could use the aroma ratcheted up a notch.

The beer does not have any pretense towards complexity. Its taste is on the sweeter side of the spectrum, but not overly so like bud. Just the faintest hints of hops and slight metallic type taste. The beer is best served ice cold and is enjoyable for what it is.

The mouthfeel is thin, but the beer is very drinkable. If your just looking for something to wash down the food with or if your not in the mood to pay any real attention to your beer, Coors fits the bill. Coors original rates behind High Life but ahead of Bud, I guess that’s some kind of a victory.

2.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I used to be quite found of this brew pre beer enlightenment, and well before they did away with the banquet beer approach to their limited ads. Appearance: Golden straw color fizzy white head leaves quickly leaving a collar of thin lacing around my pint glass. Aroma: A corn/rice with 2 row malt sweetness, a bit of huskiness there some very mild hop tones overall clean. Taste: Not overly sweet corn flavor is heavy hops are there in the finish some soft sweetness not bad rather drink this over Coors Light, but that doesn't say much. Mouthfeel: Light bodied fizzy carbonation makes me burp like too much soda. Drinkability: Easy to consume low flavor easy drinking pretty refreshing, but there are so many better well crafted summer micros out there. From the macro perspective I prefer this one over Bud and Miller products.

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

This stuff is taking up valuble beer room in my dad's fridge. So I decided to choke down the last couple bottles to get it out of the way. Pours a pale yellow with not much of a head. Faint smell of malt. That crosses over into the taste along with rice and what else chemicals the big shots over at coors decided to pump into this crap. Drinkable? It wouldn't take much effort to slam down more than a few of these. But I'm not too sure my taste buds would be too happy about that.

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Pale golden transparent body with rocky head, no whait, no head.
Smells of very thin malt and calk.
Tastes of thin rice and malt. If they use hops in this beer, I can't tell. The bitterness is probably just how bad I feel after drinking some of this.
My father's favorite beer. I was hoping that I would find something here worth getting nostalgic about, but there is not.

1.33/5  rDev -48.6%

Served in a 24oz. can

Ahh yes. Coors. I remember drinking coors extra gold with my buddy's because we could score a 30-pack for $8-9 back in college. Coors was the cat's meow back in the day.

Appearance: Poured a yellow/gold colr with a dissapating head.

Taste: What a weird taste. To me, this tasted like salty biscuits!

Mouthfeel: As someone mention in an earlier review, this beer was like seltzer water. Very fizzy.

Overall, I can't imagine drinking this beer and really enjoying it. Perhaps 4 years ago. This one really doesn't do it for me though. I have to admit, however, I kind of cheated for this review. I purchased this beer to cook a batch of bratwursts in, and as long as I had the beer open, I thought, "why not review this beer before I cook with it?"

1.41/5  rDev -45.6%

24 oz can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Extremely pale yellow topped by a white bubbly head. A scant film of bubbles is retained for a few minutes.

Smell: Not much of an aroma at all. No "hops," no "malts." I can't smell my beer!

Taste: A faint, grainy, cereal-esque flavor. Not much else. Boring. Occasional traces of bubblegum on the finish as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Akin to seltzer water in all aspects.

Drinkability: Again, a macro that doesn't so much as taste awful, rather, it just has no real flavor. I'll take water, thank you. Hell, I'd take lead-laden, unfiltered DC water over this.

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

O.K. y'all can beat me up for it if you like, but for an American macro this is the stuff. I would choose Coors over the other two, AB and Miller any day. Why? you may ask. Because this macro actually has a little flavor as opposed to the taste of rice or corn. Plus it's brewed with mountain spring water (kidding). Overall, if I was in a bar and had to choose any of the American macros I'd pick this one. Quite satisfying if nothing else. For the price, I know alot of buzz drinkers that swear by it and for good reason. Go to the ballpark and have a tap if they have it, just for the experience.

3.87/5  rDev +49.4%

This beer is an American classic. Knock it if you will, but of the big three this is the best full bodied offering of them all. Smooth but not too watery, tasty and non-bitter. This brew had been around since 1873 and for good reason, it's reasonably priced and while it won't win any medals, when your gettin a case or two for a poker game with your buddies, this beer is always high on the list.

2.18/5  rDev -15.8%

Well, it looks like beer. Kinda. Faint hop aroma backed up by watery corn "maltiness". Faint wisps of flavor carried by fizzy carbonation. This is one of the thinnest beers I've ever had, and I'll drink anything. There are cheaper beers, there are better beers, and there are cheaper better beers available. The only reason I can think of for drinking this is a dare or desperation. To be fair I have had worse beers, the flavor isn't actively bad.

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Of all the macro's out there, this one is the winner, with Miller Genuine Draft a close second. It pours a typical swill yellow with thousands of tiny bubbles rising to freedom. Unlike it's higher selling brother, Coors Light, this is a beer that I would not turn down if it was given to me.

2.5 out of 5 swills.

1.96/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's funny that in my entire life, this is the first time I have ever tried this. I bought it at the bodega down the street from my house. And yes, I really do live in the ghetto.
It pours a super clear fizzy yellow with a big magically disappearing head. The aroma is overpowering corn. the taste is also very "corny" with only the slightest hints of malt and hops.
Now I know why it took so long to drink this.

1.96/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a plain and simple clear yellow. The head is thin and bright white, and lasts just long enough to let you know it was there.

The smell of grainy sweetness plays first in the aroma, in conjunction with what strikes as corn. A grassy essence comes through, along with what might be construed as hops.

The striking malt and grain sweetness flows first in the flavor, and pretty much through the middle as well. Thin and vague, the rest of the profile is filled out by the same indistinct hops presence as in the aroma. There's balance here, but that does not say a lot considering the rather Lilliputian elements at hand.

Very light bodied, it's watery and almost inconsequential, with little flavor to keep on the palate. A dull bitterness clings at the finish.

I remember how excited people were getting many years ago when Coors was coming east. I now understand just how silly these people were. It is exactly what you'd expect of a macro, with the sparse flavor and exceedingly low presence you need to make it just as exceedingly high in drinkability. But, and this is one big but, I think that in order to be truly drinkable, you need to WANT to drink another. And I don't. Because long gone are the days when I want to drink yellow alcoholic water just to get drunk. And so I won't...and you can't make me.

2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

The head is snow white and it recedes to an uneven lace.
Color is quite pale yellow on the spectrum.

There is some nose- pleasant, fresh and a little grainy,
I have to admit this has a clean and balanced taste, even if it is a bit boring.

The mouth feel is here and gone, which adds to the "you can drink a case and hardly notice" attribute.
#
These folks are the masters of consistency,
Growing and malting their own barley, controlling the product.
I do respect that. Plus their brewery is beautiful, a shrine in a beautiful setting for all who visit Colorado.

3.27/5  rDev +26.3%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is above average. It has a light pale malt scent accompanied by yeasty aroma. The taste is average. It has a little more malt flavor than the light version, but that's not saying much. It is plain and dull, but goes down smooth and refreshes. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer with all of it's faults still drinks well. I could drink a ton of these on a hot day; a decent macro.

1.71/5  rDev -34%

My dad had this in his fridge. It should be noted that I am sampling this immediately after running out of Celebration, so I might be harder to impress than usual.

Pours a crystal clear dark yellow with a big puffy white head that fades fast and leaves no trace. smell...woah! ugly... sweet adjunct of some sort...similar to candy apple.

taste is same, cool medium nothingness followed by this sweet candy apple foulness that grows worse with each swallow. I don't remember this being so bad...is my experience with good beer ruining bad beer for me? I guess it could be worse...

2.84/5  rDev +9.7%

Compared 4 U.S. Macro brews together to see if there is REALLY any winners here.

Executive Summary:

Scores: A S T M D

Coors Regular: 2 3 3 2 3 = 2.7
Budweiser Regular: 2 1.5 2 3 3 = 2.1
Miller MGD: 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 1.5 = 1.7
Ice House: 3 2.5 2 2.5 2 = 2.35

All brews were assumed to be a 2 in all categories before reviewing.

APPEARANCE: All look pretty much the same except Ice House, It’s a Bit darker.

SMELL: Budweiser has almost no smell, just a bit of grain. Coors smells distinctly of Banana and grain with a bit of yeast. MGD smells barely like bread. Ice House smells a bit citrus. Coors was best but Ice House was far better than Bud or MGD.

TASTE: Budweiser tastes of grain and is mildly sweet. Coors tastes of grain and is Tart compared to Budweiser. MGD tastes sweetest, but has an off taste to it. Ice House tastes like a tarter version of Budweiser. Coors was best, only MGD had a weird taste.

MOUTHFEEL: None of these really have it, Bud is thickest, and Coors is thinnest. Only Budweiser has any real Mouthfeel.

DRINKABILITY: Coors and Budweiser are about the same, MGD has that off taste and it cost it points, Ice House is OK, but not quite as good as Budweiser or Coors.

CONCLUSION: Drink better beers! But if you are trapped without a choice Coors, Bud, Ice House, and MGD.

3.63/5  rDev +40.2%

When you are raised on it, it's good. I became a devoted Coors drinker during college, and consumed many a $3.00 pitcher any night I could. So while it will never measure up to a Blanc de'Bruges or an Old Nick, to me it's good beer.

The pour is a nice clean light yellow with a minimal head (back in the day this was a great attribute and a show or real skill at pouring). It has a nice light yeasty aroma. Luckily I got a well handled bottle tonight and it has the nice yeasty sweetness that a fresh Coors can have. It's has a fine light body with a nice finish. This is a beer that can be drunk all day.

Coors isn't trying to make an award winner here. They are trying to make something that will suit those with a wide range of tastes. Of the Macro's I believe Coors to be the only one truly concerned about the quality of the beer you actually recieve. They want you to get a good fresh beer. The others seem to be content that you don't get a spoiled beer.

Coors Banquet from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 2.59 out of 5 with 3,007 ratings