Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
3.56/5
Good
Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 731

First off, let me say I'm not a fan of Blue Moon in general. But that being said, when I heard about this beer, it actually sounded like it would be excellent, so I gave it a shot. I am glad I did.

Appearance: Tan/Golden Brown

Smell: Cinnamon, Slight hint of Nuttiness, Almost similar to a churro

Taste: Cinnamon, Spices, slight hint of Vanilla (maybe?)

Mouthfeel: Initially smooth, then after sitting and agitating in the mouth, it packs a balanced but rough cinnamon spiced punch. Almost reminds me of summer winds in the desert, when the taste lingers.

Overall: Great beer. Pleasantly surprised that I actually liked a Blue Moon/Coors beer. Tried regular Blue Moon, didn't like it. This on the other hand, is cinnamon gold. Highly recommended and really hope this becomes a permanent flavor.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch in a beer form. Heavy taste of Cinnamon. I could have drank this beer all day long. Little creamy and lot of cinnomony decent color little head and smooth as silk

4.88/5  rDev +37.1%

Way better than I expected and actually very good. Head disappears pretty quick. Medium carbonation. Smell was the only weak point. Not a bad smell, but it didn't really paint the picture. But the taste more than made up for it. Very very good flavor and very distinct cinnamon. Quite a good brew all in all.

4.81/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

absolutely loved this beer. reminded me of my favorite past times when my mother used to make fresh agua de horchata. now, i can enjoy it with my favorite hobby, beer. what a nice smell and mouth feel from the rich creamy horchata. this beer may not be for many people, but i could seriously drink a full 12 oz. in one gulp. i loved this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Surprisingly very good. Literally tastes like horchata or if you never had that before, Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Somehow Blue Moon got it right by making it taste so smooth. Also interesting to note that the ale is light in color. Pretty much beer version of Rumchata.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Sampling right now on 11/5/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a slight hazy golden-yellow in color with a thin white cap. Some light spotty lacing is seen but not much. A bit of sediment is seen at the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is really nice and consists of cinnamon and some spices. Even more going on with the taste as there is the cinnamon BUT isn't over done at all along with a hint of almonds and some other flavors that are hard to pick out. Almost like a hint of 'Rum Chata' in with the malts. Very smooth and goes down easy (and fast). Lighter+ bodied and perfect carbonation. Great brew for the cooler months and was very surprised on how good this one really is! Great job!

4.46/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If Santa Clause pissed beer, this would be it. A jolly good beer with a hint of cinnamon. I picture elves enjoying their one day off by parachuting off Kringle's sleigh onto a topless beach getting hammered drinking Blue Moon Horchatas off big booty Brazilian babes. A well deserved treat for the nice, the naughty, or an enslaved elven population. Nice work, fat boy.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "JAN1915 E05100415"
$1.83 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

I have to sheepishly admit that I've been wanting to try this beer since I got it. I know that it's just another in a long line of Blue Moon "flavors" (they sure do have money for marketing new items, huh?) but it seems interesting. I didn't even know what a horchata" was until I looked it up. It's a milky drink made from ground almonds, tiger nuts, or rice; and based on that description I'm not sure that it really fits as this is a hazy yellow gold, and certainly not milky. The neck label explains it though, it's "a subtly sweet, refreshing ale with a taste of cinnamon and natural, long-grain rice". This is Keith Villa's interpretation of a horchata via beer.

It smells of cinnamon, but it's not overdone. It's a slight hint nutty as well, but I'm not sure if that's from rice or not. It's welcoming! The flavor reveals more cinnamon, and I think, rice flavor as there's definitely something different from a standard maltiness going on. As the label states, it's subtly sweet, but it remains in balance due to the spiciness of the cinnamon. I'm not sure what the bitterness level is, but it's very low; and there are no hop flavors, although that's to be expected. So what is the yeast giving us? I'm not really sure, all I'm finding is 'maltiness' and cinnamon. Of course, maybe that's all that's really needed; as this is a new style of beer I have to judge it hedonistically anyway, and I'l say I really like it... 4 1/2 out of 5 stars! And what I find so impressive is that the cinnamon doesn't really build on you. It does a little bit, of course, but not nearly as much as say, a pumpkin ale. I think I'm going to try to find a case or two of this. It should make an interesting addition to holiday meals, an easy-going relaxed fall beer, and even a great BBQ beer in the summer. Beyond that I think the food pairings are almost limitless as it gives a little bit of spice and sweetness but it's not overdone. One of the best new beers I've tried in a long time, and certainly the most unique. Kudos!

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata brewed by Coors Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.50% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. Cinnamon Horchata is a unfiltered brew, this brew has cloudy tent to it. The smell is rich with cinnamon and sweetness. You also pick up a hit of gains in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is rich with cinnamon and spices. This brew taste like apple pie, not saying that is a bad thing. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is great with spices and smoothness. Coors Brewing Company did a nice job with brew. I would buy this brew again. Overall I',m giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5.

4.37/5  rDev +22.8%

Gold colored beer
Smells like Horchata
Tastes great to me. Cinnamon, sweet but not too sweet.
-Wife disagrees, said it had an aftertaste she didn't care for.
Mouthfeel was pretty good. Not too thin, didn't have to chew it.
Overall, it isn't an everyday drinker but I think it was worth going out and grabbing 2 six packs. Will drink again.

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%

So, I don't care for the look of a beer, the smell of this was alright, but lacking of anything special, pretty standard, the taste was fantastic, the horchata and the rice flavor went quite well together, the cinnamon was enjoyable and not overwhelming, overall I'd say if you want a sweet and satisfying brew, this one is pretty good, unique and flavorful.

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Golden yellow color
S: Sweet cinnamon
T: Cinnamon horchata is well represented here. Sweet cinnamon flavor and a little malty.
F: Light and crisp mouthfeel
O: If you like cinnamon this is a beer for you (not the silly Fireball fake cinnamon). The description of the beer is spot on. Tastes just like you'd imagine. Would definitely recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer is a pale straw color with some haze but you can still see through it and the carbonation. The head was white as vanished quickly. The beer smells like a churro beer. Not overwhelming sweet on the nose but you get that cinnamon and rice mark. The beer tastes similar. It is not overly strong but has the flavor still there. The beer is crisp and nice feel of carbonation.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow! I'm gonna get straight to the point....this brew is fantastic! Great cinnamon flavor and like others have said, smooth all the way through. Still surprised its made by Coors. Great beer for after dinner or in front of a fire on a cold winters night. Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

I can't believe this is a large-brewer product, but it really delivered a unique horchata flavor that fit well with a beer. Liked it a lot as part of a mix-case with lots of other wheaty beers.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Pleasantly surprised with this one. Given that it is made by Coors Brewing and most other Blue Moon beers have only been mediocre, I wasn't expecting a lot. This turned out to be a great beer though. Definitely my favorite Blue Moon beer. It does have a decent amount of cinnamon flavor and aroma so if that's not your thing steer clear. Very refreshing and smooth. Great for fall nights around the fire. Highly recommended. It appears it is currently in a testing phase so I hope it passes muster with everyone else so I can continue to enjoy it. If you like pumpkin ales and other spiced beers you should definitely give this one a go.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Dessert beer. Sweet but not to sweet. Definitely taste the "horchata" flavor but it does not come across as super-artificial unlike some other blue moon flavors. Smooth all the way through with a sweet aftertaste, no bite at all. Would get again.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

I got this beer in a Blue Moon variety pack and I must say I really enjoyed it. you can taste the cinnamon but its not overpowering, this beer would be best as a desert beer just for sitting around and sipping a couple, I actually prefer this over the Blue Moon pumpkin ale.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a fairly opaque yellow with a good sized white head, which leaves behind no lace. It smells like cinnamon and spices. The taste starts with spices, before giving way to cinnamon. It has a delightful sweet taste, without being overwhelming. It feels quite nice, and easy to drink. Overall, I'm pleased with this ale. I would gladly sip on a bottle at a holiday celebration. Very impressed with how the flavors work together.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.2/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the tap at Taco Mac in Douglasville, GA into a Blue Moon Pint glass.
Aroma- cinnamon and hops
Appearance- Pours a murky golden color with a thick white head
Taste- Cinnamon and wheat/grass, not bad but a slight aftertaste that faded with each sip
Palate- A medium bodied bee with mild carbonation.
Overall- An enjoyable beer, I would drink it again

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

I'm always skeptical of beer that tastes like anything other than... beer. It's why I'm not a fan of fruit beers (like Pyramid's Apricot Ale). So I was kinda iffy about this brew, but, rest assured, while the cinnamon flavor absolutely stands out, this still succeeds in tasting like beer; a good, malty beer flavor with the sweetness of bananas and honey. The flavor is balanced, succeeding in incorporating the spices into a cohesive blend. It has a good, golden color to it. It is a little cloudy. The aroma is slight, with a predictable cinnamon and malt scent. Very little hops present in the flavor, which is fine by me. There was also very little head that went away after less than a minute in my glass. A special beer for occasional drinking, but impressive.

4.11/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Wow, it actually tastes like horchata. I worried it might be like Pinnacle cookie dough, where it tastes like rotting Chips Ahoy in cheap vodka; nah, the flavor really is there. I don't know about a six pack, but, this beer was made for build-six's. Unlike more physical flavors, this only gets a slight demerit for its texture versus what your brain desires.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

This one surprised me. It poars a hazy golden yellow with minimal head and no lacing. The aroma is thay of straight cinnamon sticks. Flavor is strong cinnamon sugar up front, followed by Belgian yeasts, with a clean grain and (once again) cinnamony finish. Mouthfeel and carbonation is strong but pleasant. This is my first venture into spiced beer, so maybe I am biased. However it was undoubtedly my favorite beer in the Spring 2015 Blue Moon Brewmaster's pack.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz. Bottle poured into shaker pint.
Look - Golden in color, head starts out full bodied yet fades quickly. Bits of lacing left around the glass.
Smell - Sweet cinnamon and malt. Hint of cooked rice. Vanilla.
Taste - Cinnamon, hint of the cooked rice, malts .
Feel - Slight creaminess, followed by a crisp, clean finish.
Overall - Surprisingly delicious beer. Went well with chicken enchiladas. Happy to drink this one again This one makes their winter pack worth seeking out..

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I bought a Blue Moon Sampler pack purely for drinking all 12 then spending the rest of the summer complaining how coors can't make craft beer. Well shit. First one I tried is this horchata and it is simply awesome and I am blown away by how much I like it. I don't put it past coors to simply add in different flavor after the fact and call it a different beer but I am pleasantly surprised by this brew.

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)