Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
3.56/5
Good
Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 731

This stuff is straight up gross. It is HORRIBLE. Poured the rest of the bottle after 3 short sips. Horchata I love. Blue Moon I like. Put em together? NO. I'm not kidding, it made me gag.

2.11/5  rDev -40.7%

At first glance looked like a decent beer. It smelled pretty good, can definitely tell there is cinnamon. That's all I can say is good about this. Personally the cinnamon was overpowering and I was not digging the rice. I tried drinking as much as I could hoping it would get better, but in the end it was a sink poor for me.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pub-style pint glass.

Appearance
Pale yellow with a fizzy white head. Good clarity with moderate carbonation.

Nose
Cinnamon and wheat.

Taste
Wheat and stale grains. Red Hots and cinnamon. Light caramel on the finish.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, and spicy.

Overall
It's basically Blue Moon with cinnamon. Congrats, Miller-Coors!

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from 12oz bottle to glass.

If you don't read any further, just know to skip this beer. It's not good, and doesn't taste like beer at all.

Right off the bat you'll smell cinnamon. It's the most forward note, and the note that dominates. Taste wise, it is basically carbonated spiced apple cider. Seriously, I've thought about this and it's just simply carbonated spiced apple cider. I opened this expecting almost anything else. I couldn't get over the fact I was expecting a beer and ended up with spiced cider. I'll also add I'm not a huge cider guy to begin with.

If it was marketed and labeled as a spiced cider, I might have rated it better, but going in assuming it's going to be a beer lead to lesser scores in my book. Not one I care to enjoy again.

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured onto pint glass. Looks great! Golden honey color with decent head. Smells slightly sweet and defiantly cinnamon, and spiraling downwards from here. It taste like a blue moon that's been open in the fridge for days, but still has a strange cola type carbonation. This is easily the worst of the beers in the spring sampler. I'm gonna give the other one to a local homeless and i am pretty sure I ll be lucky if he doesn't break out my car windows for it.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

It taste like it's name but in a very one dimensional way.

The body has a decent mouth feel, relatively dry finish. The flavors are cinnamon, pale ale, and sweet. It just lacks a cohesive flavor and doesn't develop beyond the first layer of flavors.

Its drinkable but forgettable. Would I drink it again: No.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

I thought I had this before and it wasn't decent. It was a work sample,would never buy Blue Moon. It tasted like a Shipyard Pumpkin/Budweiser hybrid. blah

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3

I could not finish this brew. The cinnamon was overwhelming and not pleasing to taste. It tasted like what I imagine the Pillsbury dough boy's asshole tastes like.

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This would be a very interesting beer if it were done properly. I think it actually accomplishes some of what it sets out to do—the cinnamon pops on the nose, and it does taste like horchata. As it stands, the thin, watery body and almost complete lack of carbonation knock this beer from good to at best mediocre for me.

2.74/5  rDev -23%

At the request of my wife we went ahead and tried it. Pours real nice and looks great in a glass. I don't have the best nose so I wasn't particularly into the fragrance. From first to last tasting I was not digging it. My wife loved it at first till I started to point a few things out. I tasted no hops or malt or anything else but sweet cinnamon and other artificial horchata flavors. I like Horchata. I don't like it in my beer.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale has a thin, white head, a mostly clear, bubbly, yellow-gold appearance, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is odd- candy sugar, honey, cinnamon, other assorted spices, and pastry dough. Taste is of of all those elements (think of Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Honey Nut Cherrios), with low bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale finishes crisp. Overall, for a ridiculous novelty beer, it’s not bad.

RJT

2.79/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Look: cloudy, pale, lackluster
Smell: sweet, herbal
Taste: smooth, flowery, sweet, not much cinnamon, but balanced
Feel: flat, light, smooth
Overall: pleasant but unimpressive, appreciate that it is light, not much cinnamon taste

2.84/5  rDev -20.2%

Twist cap 12 ounce bottle poured to glass
Appearance: pale light amber liquid, big white foam dissipates quickly but lingers
Aroma: Nose: not a lot, noticeable cinnamon smell while drinking
Taste: low bitterness tart
Mouthfeel: lively carbonation
Overall: Good beer, ok to repeat but not look for
Drank: 8/14/2016 5:00 PM

2.86/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Look: It pours light gold with a white head that is a bit foamy. It does not have very good head retention.

Smell: The aroma is very sweet. It has aromas of cinnamon and brown sugar. There are also background notes of apples and nutmeg.

Taste: The initial flavor reminds me of apple sauce flavored with cinnamon. It certainly is quite sweet. There is some additional spiciness and nutmeg.

Feel: It has a light body and a sweet finish. It also has high carbonation level.

Overall this is a sweet beer with most of the flavors and aromas centered around apples and cinnamon.

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

Brown glass bottle with a twist-off cap served cold into a pilsner glass in Austin, TX, after purchase at a local HEB grocery.

Expectations are low. Reviewed live.

HEAD: Occupies ~80% of the glass. White colour, decent creaminess, fair thickness, average consistency, and a decent complexion. Retains well - easily for ~7+ minutes.

BODY: Clear pilsner yellow. Clean and appealing, with evidence of ample carbonation.

A standard appearance for a spiced ale - vague though the conventions of the style may be. Far from unique or special.

AROMA: Apple pie spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. Pie crust. Not acetic or anything, but definitely pie crust evocative.

I find no evidence of horchata or long grain rice. Cinnamon overwhelms this aroma, which boasts only average intensity.

I find no yeast character, hops, booze, or off-notes.

Generally appealing, sure, with some oddly effective evocative notes (especially where the pie crust is concerned). Generally effective as a spiced ale aroma.

TASTE: Shallow hints of mildly artificial pie crust notes, including apple pie spices like cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. There's a kiss of horchata with a glimmer of heat, but no real expressive rice notes. Malt backbone seems generic, with hints of Munich malt/helles malt and copper malt.

Its inauthenticity holds it back, as does its simplicity and shallowness. But it's not a bad brew. Average duration and intensity of flavour. Could certainly bring more intricacy and layering of flavour to the table...

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, overcarbonated, somewhat refreshing, medium-bodied, and adequately hefty on the palate.

It's executed rather blandly, but it does suit the taste decently. There's no harmony of texture to taste and it doesn't elevate the beer as a whole, but it's not bad.

OVERALL: Not a gestalt beer, but it's not the nightmare most Blue Moon skeptics will anticipate. A nice little drinkable spiced ale that tries for something most brewers never attempt, Cinnamon Horchata Ale is an inspired brew with high drinkability. The quality of this beer is alarmingly high given the corners they were likely forced to cut to produce it. Worth trying, if merely average overall. Proof Blue Moon/Coors has brewers who know what they're doing. Undoubtedly a competent effort, albeit a wanting, flawed one. To be honest, I wouldn't mind another bottle; this scratches an uncommon itch and has few competitors.

C (2.93)

2.99/5  rDev -16%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours the color of a dried dandelion with a thin white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Cinnamon, apple pie, nutmeg, and sweet malts.

T: Apple pie, cinnamon, caramel, nutmeg, chai, allspice, brown sugar, rice milk, herbal spices, and pine. I must admit the taste is quite pleasant and lingering.

M: Light bodied, subtly carbonated, finishes with a good spiciness.

O: Well so far this is the best brew I have tried from Blue Moon. I wasn't expecting much but it is pleasant, easy drinking, and has true depth in taste.

This beer is in its test market. A cinnamon "horchata" ale. Now, I've had horchata liquor and they are quite good. Let's see this thing...since cinnamon is all the rage now

A hazy deep straw, gold color with white fluffy head. Pretty good lacing

Yah, there's the cinnamon snug in the aroma, but it seems stuck. It doesn't jump out, perhaps stuck to some odd spices down there. A bit of lemon and muskiness, tough combo. While it's not bad, there's something strange going on

Flavor releases the cinnamon a bit more. It's like liquid Cinnamon Life cereal, a bit sweet, bready and spicy. Not bad, but I cannot drink a whole bottle. Unlike some cinnamon stouts/porters, this has really not much else going on

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance - Pours a hazy straw yellow with an off-white finger width head. Sub-par retention results in a thin, broken layer of surface suds. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Prominent cinnamon aroma with lightly toasted bread. Sugary sweetness.

Taste - Follows the nose; predominant cinnamon with light spice and touches of lightly toasted bready sweetness. Starts and finishes much the same.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with low carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

Overall - Well, if you could take Cinnamon Toast Crunch and convert it to beer form, this is about what you'd expect. It's not great by any stretch, but at least it's bold, and that's maybe all you could ask for in a Blue Moon brew. Having said that, I would dare anyone to try to get though more than 3 of these; the flavor is so rich that sour stomach seems inevitable. Hell, I'm only through half a 12oz bottle and already I'm seeking something to cut the relentless sweet/spice flavor. It's arguably the best beer in this year's fall variety 12 pack, but that's not saying much. It too has flaws.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

I get that Blue Moon is probably the gateway for many people into the realm of craft beer, or at least it was for me. I've tried several of the various Blue Moon "flavors" and have always been sadly disappointed. Same thing goes with this Cinnamon Horchata. You definitely taste the cinnamon but to be honest, ale probably isn't the best beer to put cinnamon in. I've had various stouts / porters that have been brewed with cinnamon and other spices, which have been outstanding. This ale, not so much.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not sure how I feel about this concept for a beer, but it was left in my fridge and it's a tick.

This beer hits the glass in a light golden color with a bit of haze. It almost reminds me of a lemonade in the glass with the light colored body and a 3 finger thick head. Retention and lacing on the head is pretty good. The beer smells like straight up cinnamon and Christmas. If I were smelling this blind, I would guess that it's a Christmas ale except a little lighter. The closest scent I can remember to this beer is a fresh out of the oven cinnamon muffin.

Taking a drink of this beer is a fairly steep drop off from the scent. There is definite cinnamon and a touch of cream flavor right up front, but it is quickly gone by the middle of the drink. The middle and back half of the drink has a muted cinnamon flavor that mixes in with the base wheat ale. On the tongue, this beer is fairly creamy, but not especially thick. The carbonation is a little lacking for the style and the end of the drink has a somewhat milky feel.

Overall, this beer is about what I was expecting, not very good, but not entirely terrible. It smells fairly good, but that doesn't bear out into the taste.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This was surprisingly tasty. It was a refreshing, not overly sweet taste with clear cinnamon spice. Would be a nice summer into fall beer and could go well with desert. I would not go out of my way for another, but it was worth a taste.

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a Stella Artois chalice.

Look: Completely opaque rusty yellow colored body with a light cream colored head that recedes to almost nothing. No lacing.

Aroma: Long-grain rice, subtle cinnamon.

Taste: Cinnamon and a milky cream flavor really carry the entire taste profile.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery, pretty light and carbonated.

Overall: Kind of all over the place. Tastes really good, but too watered down in every other area.

3.19/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the bottle in a pint glass, this ale pours a lightly hazy yellow with a firm white head that dissipates to a thick ring and light lacing. Nose of cinnamon (duh) and light caramel malts. Flavors follow the nose with cinnamon and caramel malts, a serious cinnamon spiciness to the rear blending with a small dose of grassy hops, and even more cinnamon. Crisp and lightly dry mouth feel, highly carbonated. While I may not be a fan of this one it is good for what it is.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Cloudy gold with a thin white head, little lacing, and plentiful carbonation.

Smell: Cinnamon and malt.

Taste: Cinnamon, rice, and a hint of orange.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied with a bare hint of horchata in the finish.

The Verdict: Good beer. To be honest, this is the only reason I bought the sampler pack. I love a good horchata and my interest was piqued. I’m not disappointed. If Coors made more brews like this I may try them more often than once every year or two.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is very unique......I have had fruit beers, which are not really my preference, but this is pretty good. It is as it is labeled... major hints of cinnamon. I would recommend drinking this with a salty snack or right after dinner.

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)