Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
3.56/5
Good
Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 731
3.61/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon's Cinnamon Horchata Ale

A: Maybe a quarter-finger of head. Slightly opaque yellow. White-grey in the dimple.

S: Deep cinnamon sugar aroma, laying atop a standard wheat ale smell. Very horchata-like smell. They nailed that part, for sure! MacDonald's apple pie filling.

T/MF: The taste is much lighter, but still has a noticeable horchata flavor. Cinnamon burns/tingles the lips. Otherwise, a pretty standard wheat.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pub-style pint glass.

Appearance
Pale yellow with a fizzy white head. Good clarity with moderate carbonation.

Nose
Cinnamon and wheat.

Taste
Wheat and stale grains. Red Hots and cinnamon. Light caramel on the finish.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, and spicy.

Overall
It's basically Blue Moon with cinnamon. Congrats, Miller-Coors!

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a decent head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing down the 20oz pub glass.

Smell is not over powering but definitely has enough to give you a sense of whats to come. Faint cinnamon, almost like a distant cinnibun or something.

Taste is really good. I get that subtle cinnamon taste up front that turns into a nice crisp ale with some malt sweetness then leaves a cinnamon spice taste in your mouth after it is gone.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall, a really good beer. All of Blue Moons beers have a similar taste of the classic Blue Moon Belgian White with a variant of whatever style they are playing it off as but this was pretty good and I am glad I tried it.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Sampling right now on 11/5/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a slight hazy golden-yellow in color with a thin white cap. Some light spotty lacing is seen but not much. A bit of sediment is seen at the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is really nice and consists of cinnamon and some spices. Even more going on with the taste as there is the cinnamon BUT isn't over done at all along with a hint of almonds and some other flavors that are hard to pick out. Almost like a hint of 'Rum Chata' in with the malts. Very smooth and goes down easy (and fast). Lighter+ bodied and perfect carbonation. Great brew for the cooler months and was very surprised on how good this one really is! Great job!

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "JAN1915 E05100415"
$1.83 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

I have to sheepishly admit that I've been wanting to try this beer since I got it. I know that it's just another in a long line of Blue Moon "flavors" (they sure do have money for marketing new items, huh?) but it seems interesting. I didn't even know what a horchata" was until I looked it up. It's a milky drink made from ground almonds, tiger nuts, or rice; and based on that description I'm not sure that it really fits as this is a hazy yellow gold, and certainly not milky. The neck label explains it though, it's "a subtly sweet, refreshing ale with a taste of cinnamon and natural, long-grain rice". This is Keith Villa's interpretation of a horchata via beer.

It smells of cinnamon, but it's not overdone. It's a slight hint nutty as well, but I'm not sure if that's from rice or not. It's welcoming! The flavor reveals more cinnamon, and I think, rice flavor as there's definitely something different from a standard maltiness going on. As the label states, it's subtly sweet, but it remains in balance due to the spiciness of the cinnamon. I'm not sure what the bitterness level is, but it's very low; and there are no hop flavors, although that's to be expected. So what is the yeast giving us? I'm not really sure, all I'm finding is 'maltiness' and cinnamon. Of course, maybe that's all that's really needed; as this is a new style of beer I have to judge it hedonistically anyway, and I'l say I really like it... 4 1/2 out of 5 stars! And what I find so impressive is that the cinnamon doesn't really build on you. It does a little bit, of course, but not nearly as much as say, a pumpkin ale. I think I'm going to try to find a case or two of this. It should make an interesting addition to holiday meals, an easy-going relaxed fall beer, and even a great BBQ beer in the summer. Beyond that I think the food pairings are almost limitless as it gives a little bit of spice and sweetness but it's not overdone. One of the best new beers I've tried in a long time, and certainly the most unique. Kudos!

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Poured out a clear, golden color with a small, white head of foam. It smelled of toasted caramel, spices and cinnamon. Faint cinnamon taste with toasted caramel and a sharp bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Surprisingly very good. Literally tastes like horchata or if you never had that before, Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Somehow Blue Moon got it right by making it taste so smooth. Also interesting to note that the ale is light in color. Pretty much beer version of Rumchata.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow! I'm gonna get straight to the point....this brew is fantastic! Great cinnamon flavor and like others have said, smooth all the way through. Still surprised its made by Coors. Great beer for after dinner or in front of a fire on a cold winters night. Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

I can't believe this is a large-brewer product, but it really delivered a unique horchata flavor that fit well with a beer. Liked it a lot as part of a mix-case with lots of other wheaty beers.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a screwtop into a shaker. A semi-aggressive pour produces a two inch frothy head that settles down quickly but some stick around with a thin coating of lace. The beer is a hazy pale golden color with moderate carbonation.

You can definitely smell the cinnamon and horchata flavor (whatever that is). The rather strong aroma makes me wary of the flavor. However, the spices are readily discernable but not overbearing. It reminds me of one of those old windmill cookies or a snickerdoodle (or chai tea). Beneath it all are some light malt flavors, and a slight adjuncty note that might be corn and/or wheat malt. Some lingering sweetness on the palate, with a fairly creamy mouthfeel.

This is an easy drinking beer with some interesting flavors. Sometime I'll have to figure out what a horchata tastes like...Purchased as part of a Fall variety 12 pack.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours a hazy light straw with white head that fades.

S: Cinnamon, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, apple cider, horchata.

T: Wheat and a little apple followed by sweet cinnamon and horchata.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation.

O: As much as I hate to admit it, this actually ins't bad. Very drinkable and surprisingly accurate.

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance - Pours a hazy straw yellow with an off-white finger width head. Sub-par retention results in a thin, broken layer of surface suds. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Prominent cinnamon aroma with lightly toasted bread. Sugary sweetness.

Taste - Follows the nose; predominant cinnamon with light spice and touches of lightly toasted bready sweetness. Starts and finishes much the same.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with low carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

Overall - Well, if you could take Cinnamon Toast Crunch and convert it to beer form, this is about what you'd expect. It's not great by any stretch, but at least it's bold, and that's maybe all you could ask for in a Blue Moon brew. Having said that, I would dare anyone to try to get though more than 3 of these; the flavor is so rich that sour stomach seems inevitable. Hell, I'm only through half a 12oz bottle and already I'm seeking something to cut the relentless sweet/spice flavor. It's arguably the best beer in this year's fall variety 12 pack, but that's not saying much. It too has flaws.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

I got this beer in a Blue Moon variety pack and I must say I really enjoyed it. you can taste the cinnamon but its not overpowering, this beer would be best as a desert beer just for sitting around and sipping a couple, I actually prefer this over the Blue Moon pumpkin ale.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance-Cloudy Golden Yellow
Smell-Very high notes of cinnamon spice with a earthy like smell that I can't put words to.
Taste-Just imagine a latin drink that is cinnamon spice and rice,milk, and maybe a hint of coco
Mouthfeel-Not to carbonated. With a kick of spice at the end.
Overall- A very interesting beer. When I taste it I can just imagine ricey cinnamon/coco drink stirring in a big pot. The first Horchata beer I have tried. I would Like to see what a smaller craft brewery could produce in the horchata category.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Cloudy gold with a thin white head, little lacing, and plentiful carbonation.

Smell: Cinnamon and malt.

Taste: Cinnamon, rice, and a hint of orange.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied with a bare hint of horchata in the finish.

The Verdict: Good beer. To be honest, this is the only reason I bought the sampler pack. I love a good horchata and my interest was piqued. I’m not disappointed. If Coors made more brews like this I may try them more often than once every year or two.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Serving style : Blue Moon 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3.25) : Bubbly, effervescent, pineapple colored body. About 50/50 opacity/clarity. Carbonated and rapidly diminishing two finger head. The bubbles are literally eating away the crown, it's kind of interesting to watch - like a nature show. Pasty lacing left on the glass.

Smell (3.75) : Strong hits of cinnamon and apple, mixed with rice malt and barley. The cinnamon is very powerful here, which is not a bad thing. It's very sweet and aromatic.

Taste (4) : Rice malt, Pinot Grigio, and then unsweetened cinnamon with some more rice. A fresh, yeasty hay flavor finishes off the taste, and it ends crisp and lightly dry. Burps from the carbonation taste like cooked rice. Compared to the smell it's lacking in sweetness. You'd expect saccharine from the smell but it's gone with the taste. It's very delicious and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Carbonated, medium-light body, finishes dry like a crisp apple.

Overall (3.75) : This isn't bad, but it isn't fantastic. I was surprised at the "very good" rating as I think it probably deserves an "okay" or "good" rating. This is nothing compared to other "very good" rated beers, it simply does not stack up. It's flavorful yes, but it is weird. And so far I am pretty disappointed in Blue Moon's seasonal offerings.

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours translucent pale yellow. The very faint white head quickly disappears completely and leaves very faint spots of lace.

The smell is of buttered biscuit and cinnamon.

The taste is of grains, cinnamon and faint vanilla.

The texture is light bodied and watery with medium carbonation.

Overall, this beer is not bad and has a lot of potential. The cinnamon flavor blends well with the biscuit-like qualities. The thin, watered down mouthfeel is where this offering falls short. The taste improves as the beer warms.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Dessert beer. Sweet but not to sweet. Definitely taste the "horchata" flavor but it does not come across as super-artificial unlike some other blue moon flavors. Smooth all the way through with a sweet aftertaste, no bite at all. Would get again.

12 oz. Bottle
Sweet armoa, reminds of apple cinnamon.
Light yellow, not too cloudy.
Smooth, spiced flavor, not overwhelming at all.
Smooth feel with a little carbonation tickle at end.
Overall this shit is good and I keep picking it up, christmas in my mouth! Not the greatest beer ever, but has this comfy back home feeling and flavor. I dont really get the Horchata aspect, but more a warm subtle apple cinnamon feel. Try it!

“In December Drinking Horchata” thanks Vampire Weekend for making horchata a latin cinnamon based beverage wide stream appeal! Cloudy golden appearance light wispy white head beautiful looking beer sits here in my glass.

Aroma has straight up cinnamon spice, a hint of fruit and wheat based citrus notes. Really pleasant thus far, I’m into the concept of Horchata I’m ready to drink the real deal!

Flavor is so pleasant a kiss of wheat and cinnamon spice married perfectly, no lie this is a Blue Moon release that’s actually drinkable and flavorful. Not a spice bomb just right long grain rice adds just the right amount of creaminess. Keith Villa was inspired by drinking horchata in the markets of Mexico. I wanna go!

Mouthfeel slightly creamy even keeled carbonation goes down so smooth with each sip, I’m quite frankly loving this experience…I will buy more that’s saying a lot!

Overall, look at my last sentence!

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

From a twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to December 22, 2014.

Aroma is a spicy malt. Pours very light yellow clear body with a large foamy white head. Head has short retention time with spotty lacing.
Taste is mild , sweet cinnamon or allspice flavor.(I was expecting something like red hots cinnamon candy!)
Enjoyable!

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Walked into the liquor store I work at yesterday and saw we had ample twelve packs of the latest Blue Moon seasonal variety pack, containing six different beers, including the original Blue Moon, the Rounder Pale Ale, and two of the brand's limited time seasonals, Caramel Apple and Cinnamon Horchata, respectively. Obviously, I have to jump at the two limited edition brews first, so we begin things with Cinnamon Horchata, a brew I've been antsy to try for weeks now.

Appearance - Golden yellow, just about clear, and almost reminiscent of a cheap malt liquor or adjunct lager. Surprised the spices didn't make for a cloudier appearance.

Smell - Faint cinnamon, some indistinguishable spices, and maybe corn grains.

Taste - A thoroughly smooth and delicious taste, complete with mild spices and pleasantly-conservative grains, finishing with a cinnamon spice in the aftertaste rather than an overcompensating one in the beginning.

Mouthfeel - Lightly spicy and boldly subtle.

Thankfully, Coors decided to make the cinnamon taste a more mild and fashionable one, rather than a blatant taste that would make one weary to drink after about four ounces had been sucked down. I almost wish they scrap Rounder and give this one its place as a permanent offering.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Pleasantly surprised with this one. Given that it is made by Coors Brewing and most other Blue Moon beers have only been mediocre, I wasn't expecting a lot. This turned out to be a great beer though. Definitely my favorite Blue Moon beer. It does have a decent amount of cinnamon flavor and aroma so if that's not your thing steer clear. Very refreshing and smooth. Great for fall nights around the fire. Highly recommended. It appears it is currently in a testing phase so I hope it passes muster with everyone else so I can continue to enjoy it. If you like pumpkin ales and other spiced beers you should definitely give this one a go.

This beer is in its test market. A cinnamon "horchata" ale. Now, I've had horchata liquor and they are quite good. Let's see this thing...since cinnamon is all the rage now

A hazy deep straw, gold color with white fluffy head. Pretty good lacing

Yah, there's the cinnamon snug in the aroma, but it seems stuck. It doesn't jump out, perhaps stuck to some odd spices down there. A bit of lemon and muskiness, tough combo. While it's not bad, there's something strange going on

Flavor releases the cinnamon a bit more. It's like liquid Cinnamon Life cereal, a bit sweet, bready and spicy. Not bad, but I cannot drink a whole bottle. Unlike some cinnamon stouts/porters, this has really not much else going on

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)