Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
3.59/5
Good
Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata AleBlue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 731
3.42/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

For what it is, then I would say a good beer. Get mild cinnamon taste but not over-powering. Goes down smooth. It was nice to try and may have afar but I'm sticking to OG Blue Moon.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A semi-opaque and flecky golden amber topped with fine, creamy, bright white head. Not very big, sinks down quite a bit, but leaves attractive and thick layer of film. Smells like cinnamon, horchata, grass, candy corn. Doesn't seem sweet for first split seconds of each sip, but soon inundates you with cinnamon and sugar, very good if it's what you're expecting. Horchata more distinct in the finish and aftertaste. There is also a measure of tartness throughout, not distracting. Faintly wheat-like, could be the rice I suppose. Fuller end of light-bodied, with fine, medium spritziness. Not too dry.

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not sure how I feel about this concept for a beer, but it was left in my fridge and it's a tick.

This beer hits the glass in a light golden color with a bit of haze. It almost reminds me of a lemonade in the glass with the light colored body and a 3 finger thick head. Retention and lacing on the head is pretty good. The beer smells like straight up cinnamon and Christmas. If I were smelling this blind, I would guess that it's a Christmas ale except a little lighter. The closest scent I can remember to this beer is a fresh out of the oven cinnamon muffin.

Taking a drink of this beer is a fairly steep drop off from the scent. There is definite cinnamon and a touch of cream flavor right up front, but it is quickly gone by the middle of the drink. The middle and back half of the drink has a muted cinnamon flavor that mixes in with the base wheat ale. On the tongue, this beer is fairly creamy, but not especially thick. The carbonation is a little lacking for the style and the end of the drink has a somewhat milky feel.

Overall, this beer is about what I was expecting, not very good, but not entirely terrible. It smells fairly good, but that doesn't bear out into the taste.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

I thought I had this before and it wasn't decent. It was a work sample,would never buy Blue Moon. It tasted like a Shipyard Pumpkin/Budweiser hybrid. blah

4.37/5  rDev +21.7%

Gold colored beer
Smells like Horchata
Tastes great to me. Cinnamon, sweet but not too sweet.
-Wife disagrees, said it had an aftertaste she didn't care for.
Mouthfeel was pretty good. Not too thin, didn't have to chew it.
Overall, it isn't an everyday drinker but I think it was worth going out and grabbing 2 six packs. Will drink again.

4.81/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

absolutely loved this beer. reminded me of my favorite past times when my mother used to make fresh agua de horchata. now, i can enjoy it with my favorite hobby, beer. what a nice smell and mouth feel from the rich creamy horchata. this beer may not be for many people, but i could seriously drink a full 12 oz. in one gulp. i loved this beer.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date January 11, 2015? A new one to me from Blue Moon, acquired a single of this creation as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours a lightly cloudy gold body, one finger of short-lived white head that fizzles away. No hop or yeast particulate is visible. No lacing. Looks okay.

S - Aroma is of cinnamon, and a sort of creamy rice milk aroma which at times doesn't seem entirely authentic. Some brown sugar & pale malt / indistinct fruitiness is in there also.

T - Taste follows the nose: a somewhat creamy rice milk with cinnamon flavor. It really does mimic the taste of a horchata quite well, although I can't really speak for the authenticity or natural flavors. Traditional "beer" flavor and bread malts are only slightly noticeable underneath the cinnamon.

M - Feel is crisp, medium light in weight. Very mild lingering spice. Crisp carb.

Overall, an alright and accessible 'horchata beer' but no where near examples like The Bruery Or Xata. Not great, but worth checking out if you see it.

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale -----3.5/5

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is an okay beer. Pale hooks with some floating particles. It smells like apples and cinnamon and it tastes the same. It doesn't really remind me of a horchata but it makes sense in a fall pack

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Unusual, to be sure, but it works for me. Probably my fave of the Blue Moon collection, but that's not saying much. I probably won't be in a hurry to buy it again, but it was on sale (sampler) at the local store and I thought, why not?

3.11/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This was surprisingly tasty. It was a refreshing, not overly sweet taste with clear cinnamon spice. Would be a nice summer into fall beer and could go well with desert. I would not go out of my way for another, but it was worth a taste.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Part of a Blue Moon Summer Sampler 12 pack. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a yellow gold color, hazy, with a thin frothy head.

Smell is sweet and candy-like. There is a cinnamon note but I think it also smell like maple.

Taste is also sweet, a sweet cinnamon bread flavor up front and then a dry cinnamon spiced finish. Not much of a hop presence at all.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly good. Light, crisp and clean.

Overall this one was better than I thought it would be. I wouldn't want to drink much of it, but it's a light sweet refreshing brew. Not sure it's a real horchata.

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Surprised by this one. Refreshing and smooth and the cinnamon doesn't overpower the wheat. Had it very cold straight from the bottle on vacation. Better than Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Appear dark yellow with little carbonation. Never have smelled a beer like this. Definite cinnamon aroma, no hope presence. Taste is cinnamon and light malt presence, balanced and not too sweet, with lighter body. Almost a tart, sweet malt feel that is still drinkable.

I don't know why this beer is in the summer craft back offered by Blue Moon. In my opinion it is too "spicey" ad should be in the winter seasonal pack. I wouldn't drink more than one at a time of these but it is easily one of the more unique beers I've had in the herbed/spiced beer catergory.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle.
A spicy wheat beer with light horchata and moderately strong cinnamon flavor.
Light body with some tingling cinnamon effects.
Lots of cinnamon but not so much as to be objectionable (for this cinnamon lover) or to mask some of the other flavor components.
The aroma is just weird.

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle into a Wiezen

L: light golden with a white foam head that last a very short time.

S: first thing I noticed was the sweet cinnamon scent similar to cinnamon toast crunch. Following that is a mild citrus scent.

T: cinnamon and the bite of citrus peel. Tiny bit of a sour taste.

F: slight carbonation that has a tiny bite on the tongue and throat.

O: I Like it but would not go out of my way to get it.

2.33/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from 12oz bottle to glass.

If you don't read any further, just know to skip this beer. It's not good, and doesn't taste like beer at all.

Right off the bat you'll smell cinnamon. It's the most forward note, and the note that dominates. Taste wise, it is basically carbonated spiced apple cider. Seriously, I've thought about this and it's just simply carbonated spiced apple cider. I opened this expecting almost anything else. I couldn't get over the fact I was expecting a beer and ended up with spiced cider. I'll also add I'm not a huge cider guy to begin with.

If it was marketed and labeled as a spiced cider, I might have rated it better, but going in assuming it's going to be a beer lead to lesser scores in my book. Not one I care to enjoy again.

4.2/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the tap at Taco Mac in Douglasville, GA into a Blue Moon Pint glass.
Aroma- cinnamon and hops
Appearance- Pours a murky golden color with a thick white head
Taste- Cinnamon and wheat/grass, not bad but a slight aftertaste that faded with each sip
Palate- A medium bodied bee with mild carbonation.
Overall- An enjoyable beer, I would drink it again

2.52/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3

I could not finish this brew. The cinnamon was overwhelming and not pleasing to taste. It tasted like what I imagine the Pillsbury dough boy's asshole tastes like.

4.34/5  rDev +20.9%

So, I don't care for the look of a beer, the smell of this was alright, but lacking of anything special, pretty standard, the taste was fantastic, the horchata and the rice flavor went quite well together, the cinnamon was enjoyable and not overwhelming, overall I'd say if you want a sweet and satisfying brew, this one is pretty good, unique and flavorful.

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - slightly cloudy and golden in color. frothy retained white head. 3.75/5

S - cinnamon. white bread. lactate. yogurty tang. grassy hops. 3.5/5

T - very yogurty and heavy on cinnamon. funky tang. 3.5/5

M - medium body. not much carbonation. does not linger in mouth. 3.75/5

O - good one time, not to be repeated. decent with steak and heavy meal. very simple and straightforward. 3.5/5

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 15Jun15) into a pint glass. Pours with half a finger's worth of white foam that dissipates into a thin line within 30 seconds. Bubbles are scarce. Pale yellow in color and murky (this is one of the most hideous beers I have ever seen). Has strong aromas of cinnamon, mild rice and wheat malt aromas with a hint of boiled cabbage. Initial taste is of mild boiled cabbage flavors that are quickly overthrown by a combination of mild cinnamon and rice malt flavors along with a touch of wheat malt. Cinnamon and rice malt flavors persist in strength as wheat malts grow from subtle to mild giving this a really great aftertatse (I might add enough to overlook that initial boiled cabage punch to the face). Light bodied, Very smooth with subtle carbonation. I thought this was going to be a whole lot worse, but it turned out pretty good.
NOTE: As beer warms, all the flavors begin to hit the palate simultaneously instead of the symphony that it is. Unless you like boiled cabbage with your cinnamon, I wouldn't suggest savoring this beer.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

My wife really wanted to try this beer, so we got the Blue Moon Summer Seasonal pack which contains this.
Appearance: It's the classic hazy glowing orange of the Blue Moon line, except a bit whiter with a tinge of brown.
Smell: Nothing really jumps out at ya, but you can smell a hint of cinnamon.
Taste: The cinnamon is what defines this brew. Gives it a nice profile. Also did not realize that this was brewed with long gain rice instead of wheat. Once I had read that on the bottle, I realized the difference between a Belgian White and this Horchata-style ale are. The profile is creamier which allows the cinnamon and spices to stand out while not clashing with other strong flavors.
Feel: Smooth, drinkable. Again, the cinnamon is what gives this brew a uniquely smooth mouthfeel.
Overall: Another solid brew from Coors/Blue Moon brewing. Just not what I prefer. This is definitely something you wanna have in your fridge around Christmastime if you are planning on having people over.

Wife Note: Her comments were that the spices were too strong and she could barely taste the cinnamon. I had the exact opposite opinion, however. She did enjoy it! Said it was creamy and subtle. She just wasn't ranting and raving about it.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a murky straw color with a meager cap of white bubbles. Aroma smells of cinnamon and maple ‘n’ brown sugar cream of wheat (possibly with raisins added). There’s a touch of wheat on the nose as well.

The taste features yellow raisins and cinnamon but is otherwise fairly reminiscent of a traditional Blue Moon. The mouthfeel is a little thin at first blush but fortifies itself toward the middle, which is pretty unusual. Carbonation adds a bit of zip that accentuates the cinnamon.

Overall, this is an unusual brew that tastes better than I expected, even if it is sort of an odd amalgam.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass.

Appearance: The body has a light amber color with a very light haze. It was briefly topped off with a small white head which quickly settles out leaving just a ring of creamy foam at the edge of the glass.

Smell: A sweet cinnamon character jumps out of the glass first. I also pick up a bready wheat maltiness with a very slight spicy hops way off in the background as well.

Taste / Palate: It starts with a light almost creamy sweet maltiness and a mild doughy cinnamon flavor blends in. As it finishes some light hop bitterness mixes in and the balance goes from sweet to semi dry. It feels light and well carbonated making it quite drinkable. This was a stand out from the rest of the mixed pack it came in.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I bought a Blue Moon Sampler pack purely for drinking all 12 then spending the rest of the summer complaining how coors can't make craft beer. Well shit. First one I tried is this horchata and it is simply awesome and I am blown away by how much I like it. I don't put it past coors to simply add in different flavor after the fact and call it a different beer but I am pleasantly surprised by this brew.

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)