Keystone Light | Coors Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,985 |  Reviews: 486
Reviews by swfeidt:

2.07/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: Soda fizzle type head with no retention. Perfect strip filtered clarity showing a extremely pale yellow colour.

Smell: Clean with a faint astringent husky grain and creamed corn aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Off slickness in the mouth with a dense crispness that seems too forced … added dextrins? Very little malt flavour at all, bitter bit from a flavourless hop and astringent grain show it has some beer quality but not much. Finishes dry with no after taste … almost like drinking nothing at all.

Notes: It is what it is, a cheap crappy light beer. For people that are so worried about the price of beer and think they need to drink light beer this is for them. Sadly what they spend on a six pack, which most down in less than an hour, they could buy one bottle of real ale from England and actually have some respect for beer. Or even a bomber of Euro lager with real hop flavour ...

Someone a while back told me he was at the coors beer tour and the tour guide asked the crowd what the difference of Coors light and Keystone light was. The answer was there was no difference. Tour guide went on to explain that when the light brew tank is emptied, the top half or so is bottled Coors light. The bottom of the tank is bottled Keystone light. Coors light is lighter, higher grade, and Keystone light is a little heavier. Probably what you all would call the bock of the tank. And this practice is part of all major breweries. The top half is higher grade and the lower half is lower grade. And that's all it is folks. Keystone light is actually tastier than Coors light. But Consumers want the top shelf stuff. Understood. I like Keystone light better than all the other light beers. I sometimes have to buy other light beers because Keystone isn't stocked. I really can't stand Busch light or Bud light. Miller lite is okay but is kind of flat tasting after a couple. Keystone light keeps up with taste. I am not a Keystone light homer but I like this beer in the Summer. Period. The College have no money get cheap beer thing gets old on here. I always go for Keystone light and I can afford expensive beer.

1.96/5  rDev +8.3%

355ml can, a licensed version, at 4.0% ABV, made in Canada due to MolsonCoors' tendency to flood the local market with product duplication just because, well, they damned well want to.

This beer pours a crystal clear, bright, yet very, very pale yellow straw colour, with two fingers of fast-disappearing puffy and weakly foamy bone-white head, which leaves a bit of streaky lace around the glass.

It smells not so faintly of sweet, phenolic mashed corn, soaked white bread, and slightly vegetal and grassy, er, 'hops'. The taste is mildly grainy, actually none-too-sweet corn grist, stale, over-cooked rice, and equally less than subtle (as if we are forsaken) skanky, vegetal, and dead grassy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and just a bit overwrought in its playful frothiness, the body most certainly lightweight, and unsurprisingly fairly watery. It finishes like a ghost, making you wonder if there was any beer there at all.

As much as I wanted to claim to the contrary, due in no small part to years of enduring those inane TV commercials, I can't say that this isn't smooth and drinkable - it is indeed that. What it isn't, of course, is worth imbibing if you're looking for flavour rather than a somewhat beer-adjacent stomach filler.

2.98/5  rDev +64.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

If you're looking for a light beer with reduced calories, this one fits the bill with just 104 calories, 5 grams of carbs, .7 grams of protein and 0 fat. It pours a crystal-clear light-gold body and a good-sized head of bright-white foam that vanishes almost immediately. Only a thread of a collar is left behind and, as might be expected, it leaves no lace. A generic beer aroma with a bit of yeasty sulphur greets you as you raise the glass - or specially lined can ;) - to your lips. The body is light and crisp with a fine, median level of carbonation that gives a bit of a tingle in the mouth. The flavor displays a quick note of sweet, adjunct laden malt before drying at mid-palate. It finishes dry with a light wash of alcohol and leaves just a thin film of sweetness in the mouth. It's a pretty vacant beer, but that's to be expected for the style. It's incredibly easy to drink - almost like a can of seltzer - but what's the point? There are more satisfying light beers available.

2.48/5  rDev +37%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

This is a very decent light beer, yes it doesn't have strong hops but it does a good job portraying what it is. It has a clear yellowish look with a small head, and it has a light smell and taste of sweet corn. It is very smooth with an extremely light malty aftertaste.

1.4/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Backlog.
12 oz can. I’m so surprised this got a better ranking than Coors Light. I’ve always heard that Keystone is the product that doesn’t pass Coors’ standards. It had better head retention and seemed to have more carbonation. Still, this is more macro swill.

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby.

3.9/5  rDev +115.5%

I'm not going to get into a lengthy review over this stuff but all things considered of it being a macro light that you can pick up a 15 pack for 7.99 I gotta say this is the best shitty beer I've ever tried.

2.25/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - basically almost clear with no head.
S - light grains, white bread, light earthy american hops
T - light grains, white bread, earthy american hops
M - light light light - sparkling water anyone? Alc not present as far as i can tell. Aftertaste, well if you think this had an aftertaste you're the biggest vagina that's ever graced the presence of Michigan's Upper Penninsula.
O - well, its terrible, because it tastes like NOTHING. If you dont like this because it offends your fragile virgin tastebuds then you're the biggest pussy that's ever walked this earth. Seriously, chug a tall boy of Camo Black Ice and talk to me about bad. Millenial "my mommy and daddy still pay my rent and i'm 30 and i think keystone light has a bad taste" is why our country will lose the next big war.

3.6/5  rDev +98.9%

I like the beer it's cheap won't knock you on your ass like steel reserve or hurricane. Most of all it's refreshing when I think of beer that's literally my last thought. After working in the yard on a hot day or relaxing after work my go to beer. Draw back it's a cheap beer that takes many many beers to get you buzzed much less drunk if that's what you angle on drinking cheap beer is.

2.04/5  rDev +12.7%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice.

2.11/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can with unappealing label - "Hunting Season Camo Can" - given to me by an acquaintance. Served cold into a pilsner glass in low altitude Austin, TX. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Best before: Dec 29 2014. Side-poured fairly gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Okay creaminess and thickness. Could be fuller and softer. Retention isn't bad - 4 minutes maybe. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Weak watery translucent transparent pale yellow colour; quite dull and drab. Unappealing, but clean at least. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears adequately carbonated. It's not much to look at by any stretch, but it's not egregious of off-putting.

AROMA: Water, barley, faint grains, straw, and cereals. A light aroma which comes off a bit too sweet, but not cloyingly so. Light intensity.

I can't say I'm horribly excited to try it, but I've encountered worse in the style. Quite bland, if anything. No yeast character, overt alcohol, or egregious off-notes are detectable. Lacks any discernable hop profile.

TASTE: Pilsner malts, cheap barley, generic graininess, overly sweet cereals, straw, and an unfortunate light buttery note which hints at diacetyl off-character. Poorly constructed, imbalanced, and painfully simple. Bland and boring. I will say I'm glad it's not as cloyingly sweet as many other low quality light beers, but I'm not enjoying it much.

Lacks subtlety and intricacy.

TEXTURE: A bit refreshing. To its credit, it's not real watery like so many other bland light beers. High water hardness. Smooth and wet, with some sharp overcarbonation. Not as soft or light-bodied as would be ideal. It's too thick and heavy on the palate for such an insipid beer, but it's by no means overbearing - after all, it is a light beer.

OVERALL: Definitely drinkable - that's what it's for. Beer pong enthusiasts and broke undergrads will enjoy this is as a refrigerator staple, but it won't impress the discerning drinker. Thee are worse light beers out there, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an unpleasant brew with few redeeming characteristics. I can't complain about the price, but I'd discourage friends from picking this up.

3.63/5  rDev +100.6%

Think back to a time when you were buying a drink at a gas station and had to go back to your car to get change because the money you had in your hand wasn't enough? Got it? Okay, no hold that mindset. A 30 pack of Keystone Lights will run you approximately $15 American dollars, averaging out to 1 beer for every $0.50. $0.50 fucking cents. Barging for you your buck? Say fucking less. Now enough with the tomfoolery, let's get to the taste. Like the town it's brewed in, a mouthful of Keystone Light tastes like God's breastmilk raining down and filling every man's beer cup with golden deliciousness. The smell may be deceiving, like a fox, but don't let that shit fool you, the taste is killerrrrrrrrrrr. The look of this draft reminds me of the day after a heavy bender, and I'm taking a piss, and when I look down I realize I'm hydrated as fuck. I'd still drink it though, no doubt in my beer drinkin' mind. Minimal burps with this brew also, so she's smooth as a baby's bottom going down. It'll get ya dancin' like a cat on a hot tin roof. Paul likes it too. So yea. 3.5/5 stars.

1.94/5  rDev +7.2%

There's really nothing special about Keystone Light. About as pale on flavor as it is in color. But this is my go-to summer beer. After working in the heat and humidity of southern Missouri prepping the bottom field for the upcoming deer season, the last thing I'm reaching for is a heavy (yet delicious) craft brew. BBQ with friends? Keystone Light allows me to keep up with my buddies without bloating like roadkill. The best part is the price. $15 for a 30-pack. Definately a "quantity beer." Overall, this isn't a terrible example of the style. God knows you could do worse.

3.1/5  rDev +71.3%

There isn't anything to figure out here, it doesn't need to be poured or studied. This a quantity not quality lawnmower beer. Keep these ice cold and consume when the sun is warm or you're looking to catch a buzz on the cheap before a concert, cookout, sporting event, etc. If you honestly can't handle this fizzy water with alcohol and think it has a taste, then remove your tampon you Deluxe PUSSY.

2.44/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Serving: Can, from the can
Served: Numerous times in college, but a review slipped through the cracks

This is another of the quintessential party beers, that I smashed numerous times with people. Poured into a pong cup, it looks translucent and barely yellow, with a head that dies immediately. Lots of bubbles clinging to the side of a cup. Drinks super easily, with sweet corn notes. Drank cold, it just tastes like "beer", in the most stereotypical, boring sense of the term. Love the high carbonation-makes it easy to smash. Overall, a cheap beer that you shouldn't be drinking in situations other than college parties or the occasional drunken fun-fest of adulthood.

Please keep offering the 12 oz. size, that's all I ever want. I've bought this beer every year it's been in existence and it's the only beer I drink.

4.09/5  rDev +126%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coors had originally been considered only a banquet beer. Wanting to get a lager share of the blue collar market they researched bringing a new beer on the market. It was there sole intent to garner that part of demographics.

However, they needed to consider two important factors. The first and most important was the financial aspect. What was it going to cost them to bring this product to market. Then a greater concern, was would the consumer like it? The problem was easily solved. The powers that be, asked what is our now most profitable brew? The answer was the “Silver Bullet,” better established as Coors Light.

There was no need for addition infrastructure. The equipment was in place and not running at full capacity. Rather than run silver cans down the line, just put some blue ones in.

Blind fold a Coors fan and offer hin a glass of Coors Light and a glass of Keystone. I will give you Las Vegas odds that they cannot distinguish the difference. There is none, only that keystone is more affordable. The best part is that you will save about 23%.

PS. Daughter worked for Coors Market Development about 20 years ago. Her insider info helped me pay off her college education.

1.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

There is no point in pouring this beer into a glass before consumption. The reason being that the point of doing so would be to accentuate the aroma of the beer by giving it some head in the glass. This beer, however, neither smells nor tastes good. It has no hops, and it tastes like some slightly dirty water you might find in a puddle while hiking. My buddies might contend that it's "not that bad" compared to some of the other mass-produced shite that college kids drink. But if you're looking for a session beer, why waste your money on 30-'stones when you could go out and buy a case of Pabst??

1.75/5  rDev -3.3%

2.22/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company