Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Reviews: 468 | Ratings: 1,927
2.32/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

The best shit beer I've had so far. Busch and Bud make me gag, but I can actually drink keystone. The best beer for shotgunning. Kind of refreshing, and, just like those commercials, it is actually very smooth. If you want to spend $10 on 24 beers, go with stones.

2.63/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As far as I remember this is the first time I've had this beer, and I will admit that it was not as bad as I feared. It was pale yellow with a super sudsy white head, but the head dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing (not none, but minimal). There was some smell, it was monotone and grainy, but it was not unpleasant. The taste was simple, but clean and potentially refreshing. It was crisper than many cheap lagers I've had. Overall this is a somewhat watery beer for someone who's used to craft beers, but I honestly cannot say that it was "bad." I can imagine this being quite refreshing on a blazing hot afternoon. The mouthfeel was a little slick and silky. I will probably try some of its inexpensive relatives -- why not?

1.02/5  rDev -48.5%

I've heard it's the Coors Light recipe, but with a disregard for water quality. I don't know if that's true, but it seems about right. If the recipe wasn't bad enough, Keystone takes that incredibly bad Coors recipe and adds something bad. Or subtracts something good. Either way, you get the idea.

1.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Its good chugging beer. Completely inoffensive to all senses carbonated water. You can smash a case between 3-4 people on a couple hours and everyone will be ok.

3.4/5  rDev +71.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Keystone light! Coors light in a different can essentially. Yellow, pale straw color. Mouth feel is akin to carbonated water. The taste, or for reality's sake, lack of taste, is a good thing, at least for what this beer is for. It's for slamming and chugging at parties, or just going out fishing or yard work. If you need cheap summer time party or light beer, or want to get drunk on a budget, this one is for you. There are much better options available... but the price is right, for parties and fishing.

2.5/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a crystal clear light straw yellow with high carbonation.

Water? Grains.

Tastes like grainy water.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, drank enough of this in college to take down a horse, but stay far away from this swill.

Please keep offering the 12 oz. size, that's all I ever want. I've bought this beer every year it's been in existence and it's the only beer I drink.

1.87/5  rDev -5.6%

I had this one time in a bottle. Shit you not, the whole slogan behind this beer was bottled beer taste in a can. And then they put it in a bottle.

Anyhoo, looks like straw colored yellow garbage AAL type of swill, but even lighter. The aroma was super diluted water. Canned veggies, green beans and corn up in here. Bitter for its weakness. Highly carbonated.

Look you know what you're getting into when you pop the top. Watch out for bros bragging about drinking 20 of these in a night. Big deal, tons of water bro.

2.44/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Serving: Can, from the can
Served: Numerous times in college, but a review slipped through the cracks

This is another of the quintessential party beers, that I smashed numerous times with people. Poured into a pong cup, it looks translucent and barely yellow, with a head that dies immediately. Lots of bubbles clinging to the side of a cup. Drinks super easily, with sweet corn notes. Drank cold, it just tastes like "beer", in the most stereotypical, boring sense of the term. Love the high carbonation-makes it easy to smash. Overall, a cheap beer that you shouldn't be drinking in situations other than college parties or the occasional drunken fun-fest of adulthood.

3.41/5  rDev +72.2%

First time I had this I wasn't a huge fan for mass consumption due to a bitter finish. Giving this another go with a crew and was impressived with the crush-ability of this brew. Easy drinking, light and no off-flavors. When you just want to pound and not contemplate this is a solid choice. One of the better light lagers when you are looking for clean, albeit low levels of malt and hops, crisp brew.

3.7/5  rDev +86.9%

There is a fundamental problem with many of the other Keystone reviews here. Words like "lacing", "nose", and "head" keep being thrown around. Look, this is a cheap, light beer. It's not meant to be dissected like science project. There's no art to behold. It doesn't push the boundaries, nor is it supposed to. But that's why I like it.

This tastes like a more grainy version of big brother Coors Light, actually reminding me of Molson Canadian. It's like Molson and Coors Light mixed. As a beer to drink a bunch of at home just kicking back I think it's great. I've only drank it out of the can because this is not a beer you serve in a fancy tulip glass to deconstruct. Crack open a cold one and enjoy. It's simple.

PBR has pretty much been my favorite cheap beer for quite some time now, but I think Keystone is taking its place. If you demand a triple, dry-hopped, limited production IPA then you will not enjoy this beer. But of you just want "a beer", for cheap, and not something to put on a pedestal then I recommend at least trying it.

1.67/5  rDev -15.7%

I... uh... wanted to try something different, and well, I thought it'd be ya know, decent, like Hamm's is for the price.
I poured mine into a lager mug.

Look: Darkish pee yellow, unpleasant to look at, I think I'll just drink the rest I have from the cans. Doesn't pour much of a foam head, and what foam head it does have dissipates fast.

Smells kinda watery sweet, not much of a smell, but it does have a sweetness smell to it.

Taste: Tastes like stale corn and grains, not much flavor there

Feel: feels watery, mild carbonation.

Overall, I didn't think it would be this bad, I expected it to be mediocre but likable. I was wrong. Pay that extra dollar for something decent, or save 50 cents and get Hamm's and get something that at least has flavor and is enjoyable.
I won't be buying this again but at least I know what it's like.

1.59/5  rDev -19.7%

Had to add this one to the “done it” list, despite my wiser inclinations.

Appearance: Watery piss yellow. Big fizzy head, but no lace. Huh? But then again, who expects any grace from this junk lager?

Aroma: Corn. Creamed corn. Maybe a slight dusting of hops somewhere in there.

Taste: More of the creamed corn. It’s sweet and very very light, with almost no lingering aftertaste even. I say water is healthier and cheaper. So why pretend it’s “beer”? No, thanks.

1.67/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

DATE TASTED: December 12, 2015 ... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsner from a 24 oz. widemouth... OCCASION: another fun night will end with beer... APPEARANCE: clear, golden body that spouts effervescence upwards, exploding into a frilly, bubbly off-white head; spotty, lonely clouds are left in the wake of sips... AROMA: no bitterness? in the aroma, not the case--biscuit and oats make for a bitter, offish tear at the nostrils... PALATE: thin, watery, refreshing through its H2O-like texture....a bit fizzy early, light-bodied, and malty flatness in its beefy aftertaste... TASTE: corn, oats and syrupy sweetness make for a predictably drinkable, underwhelming light beer...for a couple hundred calories, not much of an experience...lacks the woodiness I recalled from the bottle in college, which is a good thing... no nuance, zero hop suggestion... OVERALL: having finished the mega can, I can say that my tolerance is tickled but not touched--this beer was meant for swift consumption and not offending palates...not much for me....

2.02/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a steady column of bubbles rising from the center of my glass. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down, leaving some patches of bubbles on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of corn adjuncts are present in the nose.
T: The taste mirrors the smell, having flavors of corn adjuncts and a light amount of associated sweetness. No bitterness is perceptible, but there appears to be some underlying hops that prevent this from being too sweet, although it does become a little sweeter as the beer starts to warm up.
M: It feels light-bodied and slightly watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer doesn't have any offensive aromas or flavors, but is rather one dimensional and only has flavors of corn and sweetness.

Serving type: can

1.04/5  rDev -47.5%

It's taste is an amalgam of lightly fermented hobo piss and ethanol, diluted with water that came out of the LA river. However, it has one of the highest alcohol content per dollar ratio's in the cheapest of the cheap light beer market. When we bough beer for parties in college it was keystone light, so homeless alcoholics and broke college students enjoy!!! Everyone else should steer clear.

3.3/5  rDev +66.7%

Got this beer for free from my friend at the coors brewery in Virginia. Drank out of a bottle smell is fine, taste is very light and smooth almost zero carbonation no after taste.

This beer is what it is it is trying to be a smooth light beer to drink a lot of and remain cheap and it does that very well. This is a beer for tailgating, cutting the grass, playing golf all day etc. Judging it against other micro beers is just unfair because it's not trying to be that.

Beer snobs avoid!

2.13/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

appearance-drank from a can so who knows

smell- smells like beer.

taste-bitter and bad

feel-watery

overall-not a good beer. would never buy. thank god it was free

1.47/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Why? I just had to, I guess. Looks like ginger ale, extremely pale golden, tons of carbonation, small white foamy head. Aroma not much to speak of, not bad, just very faint grainy smell. Taste is also a no-show, more water than anything else, some wet paper taste. No finish either, but then it never really started. Beer flavored water...

Someone a while back told me he was at the coors beer tour and the tour guide asked the crowd what the difference of Coors light and Keystone light was. The answer was there was no difference. Tour guide went on to explain that when the light brew tank is emptied, the top half or so is bottled Coors light. The bottom of the tank is bottled Keystone light. Coors light is lighter, higher grade, and Keystone light is a little heavier. Probably what you all would call the bock of the tank. And this practice is part of all major breweries. The top half is higher grade and the lower half is lower grade. And that's all it is folks. Keystone light is actually tastier than Coors light. But Consumers want the top shelf stuff. Understood. I like Keystone light better than all the other light beers. I sometimes have to buy other light beers because Keystone isn't stocked. I really can't stand Busch light or Bud light. Miller lite is okay but is kind of flat tasting after a couple. Keystone light keeps up with taste. I am not a Keystone light homer but I like this beer in the Summer. Period. The College have no money get cheap beer thing gets old on here. I always go for Keystone light and I can afford expensive beer.

1.88/5  rDev -5.1%

During college I drank probably 500 cases of this swill. I gave it a 4 for Look simply because as an American Adjunct, it is pale and straw colored, which is what you're looking for in that style. Cold and out of the can/draft it smells like wet straw; hot and sitting out all night/day/weekend it smells like my college house. I had to give it a 2 for taste just because although its tastes like slightly malty carbonated water, it IS extremely drinkable (used to split a 30-rack in half with my buddy and drink it over the course of the day tailgating). Has a watery mouthfeel that makes you want to keep drinking it if you've already had one or two or twelve.

Verdict: I cut my drinking teeth on this beer but as a grown man avoid it. But at the end of the day, based on style alone, I do think there are worse American Adjunct light beers.

1.94/5  rDev -2%

There's really nothing special about Keystone Light. About as pale on flavor as it is in color. But this is my go-to summer beer. After working in the heat and humidity of southern Missouri prepping the bottom field for the upcoming deer season, the last thing I'm reaching for is a heavy (yet delicious) craft brew. BBQ with friends? Keystone Light allows me to keep up with my buddies without bloating like roadkill. The best part is the price. $15 for a 30-pack. Definately a "quantity beer." Overall, this isn't a terrible example of the style. God knows you could do worse.

1.78/5  rDev -10.1%

I've probably had thousands of these (seriously) back when they were "$13 bones for 30 stones." Provided me some great memories, and some times I don't remember, however, for a beer review, they're awful, nothing I'd go out of my way to get, hell, might even pass on one now if it was all I had. Just watery suds that'll get you drunk if you drink enough. The'll always have a special place in my heart, but never in my fridge...

2.6/5  rDev +31.3%

Go ahead, throw out my rating. I admit it, it's primarily based on nostalgia. I drank this crap all throughout high school and college. I was the keystone light guy. My buddies would buy a half case of "good" beer such as Budweiser, and for the same price I'd buy a case of stones. Could I drink a case? Sure...throughout the course of a week. But I always had enough to share with girls who didn't have any beer because they didn't have a fake ID. So, who's the dummy here? Plus, I really don't think there's much of a difference between this beer and some of the more popular light lagers such as Bud Light.

2.7/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 oz can after painting.
Pale color smallish head. Light grainy corny aroma and flavor. Crisp light clean adjunct beer. It didn't totally suck, but would have been better with just more of something.

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company