Keystone Light | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Reviews: 476 | Ratings: 1,958
2.2/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance - Light yellow. Short-lived fizzy white head dissipates to a thin film. Bubbly.

Smell - Pretty standard light macro malt smell. Corn and white bread.

Taste - Watery and indistinct. Very mild, sweet macro flavor - light corn is probably the most prominent taste. Not off-putting.

Mouthfeel - Pretty watery, even for a light macro. Not unlike a sparkling water.

Drinkability - Might not be a bad replacement for water on a hot day. Hits the marks of the (admittedly uninspiring) standards for American light lager. No real character to speak of. Relatively low price.

1.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Yuck...why am I drinking this? Oh yeah, because it's in my fridge and I'm half in the can from the delicious Ubu I just finished and don't want to waste any good beer when I'm ready to go to sleep as it is. What can I say about Keystone Light? Maybe if we added an "assfeel" category to beer reviews it would be a more accurate review. Let's just say this beer sucks, on the way down, and on the way out. (pleas note: this is left over from a camping trip and did not end up in my fridge willingly).

1.2/5  rDev -39.7%

Keystone Light pours a pale straw color with a fluffy white head from a sixteen ounce can. There is very little aroma, no off smells, but not much of anything really. Wow, this tastes bad, really bad, worse than I expected, I was just thinking it would be typical macro swill with a watered down flavor. This is just plain bad. Avoid!!!

2.76/5  rDev +38.7%

The first thing I noticed about this beer was the fact that it has absolutely no head whatsoever. It looks like yellow water, and tasts similar to that effect. However, I rather enjoy this beer due to its price point and the fact that contrary to popular belief it has just as much alcohol as coors/bud/miller light so that's not where the price relief comes from. The mouthfeel of this beer is... different. Very empty feeling, not much to discuss there. The smell is non-existent, seriously. No smell. Taste is pretty decent for something of this price, and I can imagine stocking my fridge with it for a good cheap "want a beer" type of beer, but my heart still lies with Nimbus Monkeyshine. But this beer brings me back to that first year of college... mmmm college party beer.

1.2/5  rDev -39.7%

If too much water is added while making the Silver Bullet, Coors must put that swill into a Keystone Light can. Carbonated water at best. I gave drinkability a 2.0 only because I have had worse. I had to give appearance and taste a 1.0 because the B.A. site doesn't have any zeros. And when I say zero I mean it! This has absolutely no color or smell. This is basically a mineral water. Thank God that my sampling came in an aluminum can. The can added some flavor. No hop, barley or malt whatsoever. When will society come to it's senses and stop the insanity! To spend even one penny of your hard earned money on this crap, which in turn helps finance one of the Big Three, is truly senseless.

1.15/5  rDev -42.2%

This is basically coor's light, but a little bit lighter. Most people can't tell the difference if you try to get them to differentiate. This beer is water. I think people only drink it because it's cheap. I had a girl try my miller then her keystone and she was like mine tastes all diluted. If you are playing a drinking game that will require you to drink a crap load of beer, then keystone would be a good pick. It's very easy to chug because it's basically just water. This beer also has NO color whatsoever. A very fainy smell as well. Don't order this beer if you are in the mood to just have a beer with a meal. This is a drinking game/save money on beer type beer. If you are looking only to save money though, I'd go with other beers. There are even cheaper beers that taste even better than keystone.

1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

We had a nickname for Keystone Light in high school: 'backpack beer.' Why? Because we weren't supposed to have it, but if someone did get it, it remained hidden in someone's backpack, no matter how warm it got.

Keystone Light has a single purpose: a cheap beer that a lot of people can drink. I could never recommend this beer, because it's like a 'Bud Light Light.' It's watery and has a bit of a stink that is unfortunate. I avoided Keystone Ice for years, because I was afraid it was going to be a darker-Keystone Light.

'Avoid' is certainly the proper rating for this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +63.3%

Not great, but not bad either. Good if you want to drink and not get full. Better than Bud Light in taste, but it does fall short of something great.

Cheap beer, 30 pack cans here are $10.99. While I would not order this at a bar with dinner, it is good to drink when you have friend over playing XBox 360.

1.65/5  rDev -17.1%

The only reason to buy this beer is if you are a poor college student looking to imbibe mass quantities of beer, which I am. Obviously, this beer warrants no comparisons to any quality craft brew. It's probably the cheapest beers available, available at my local package store for $13 for a 30 pack. You're not supposed to taste this beer, you're supposed to drink it as fast as you can. Avoid tasting it at all costs, because what little flavor this beer posesses is not a very agreeable taste. If you're just looking to get drunk and are on a budget, this is the beer for you. On a side note, this is the only beer that has induced me to vomit.

1.24/5  rDev -37.7%

The apperance of this beer is awful. It looks like poorly carbonated piss after a real heavy night of drinking. There is no head. I have at least had some/poor head retention on beer in a dirty glass; my glass is clean, the fault is in the beer.

The aroma might just might be the best thing about this beer. It faintly smells of cereal grains. The rest of the aroma is composed of smells that remind me of drunk people's breath, shitty frat parties, and homeless people.

This barely tastes like beer. I don't know how it is even classified as beer. In all seriousness it tastes more like flavored water. No malt, no hops. Just fizzy yellow water.

Feels just like flavored water on the palate. It is way more carbonated than the appearance leads one to believe. This beer has a good drinkability if you like shitty beer. The only reason I would actually pay for this is if I were hosting a party where the drinkers didn't know any better. It goes down real easy, but if you want beer why buy this?

Note: Just because a company makes a beer lower in carbs and calories doesn't mean that the beer has to be awful. Someone needs to tell this to all Macro-breweries. I mean I think that there could be some flavor. Lean Cuisines are low in carbs and calories and they still have flavor. I mean, come on!

Damn! I just spilled this shit beer all over my computer! I'll be mad if this crappy beer ruins my computer. Now, if it were arrogant bastard, duvel, or perhaps a good scotch ale it would be understandable.

1.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance - Pale yellow with lots of carbonation.

Smell - Skunky metalic corn. Better avoid smelling it.

Taste - Below average at best. Very watered down, processed and skunky. Serving cold like your Coors is a must.

Drinkability - Avoid at all costs. However, this beer is usually the top choice at parties because of its ultra-low price.

1.7/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A. The beer pours an almost clear yellow color with lots n lots of bubbles
S. Almost nill ... well maybee some aluminum if drank by can.
T. Carbonated water and no real big beer taste, despite what the label may lead you to believe...this is like a lot of other watered down light brew.
M. Clear and crisp with no bad bite at the end
O.When I was younger I thought that this it was not to bad in a pinch, but now IMHO it's best to leave this one to the college frats and softball teams to cheap to pitch in for Coors light.

1.57/5  rDev -21.1%

Wow, I feel like a complete tool right now, I'm actually writing a review for KEYSTONE LIGHT... I didn't even think that it would be on this site. But, it is, and seeing that I go to IU, I feel the need to pay homage to the greatest party school that has ever existed. And what do the people drink at IU? It's Keystone Light my friends. This was the first beer I ever drank, in my friends' dorm. Respect your roots I guess.

Of course I had this beer in a can, and when it's ICE cold, it's actually not too terrible; the cold overpowers any of the bad taste. Something I would drink fast for a buzz at a party, or after physical activities. It's a light yellow, much like urine, which one could argue is eerily similar to its taste. When warm it's nasty, and anytime you drink it it's watered down like crazy. What smell? There really is no smell, except out of a keg it has that crayon smell to it, and just cheap beer. The only reason it has a 2 drinkability is out of sheer frequency of drinking it, so I have become accustomed to it now. I mean seriously, what else are you going to drink at a college party? Cheap Beer- Keystone Light is the epitomy.

1.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Keystone Light: Can.

You can get the same taste out of this brew if you put a chewed up piece of bubblegum in a glass of water and lit it sit for an hour.

Very light in appearance with a large sized head when poured. Quickly settled into medium lacing. The beer was very watery with a slight bubblegum flavor to it. That is about it folks.

Notes: You are either buying this because it is on sale... or because it is on sale. There is no way any self respecting lover of beer should be buying this stuff.

2.77/5  rDev +39.2%

Pours a pale straw with a large, white, fizzy, quickly diminishing head. The smell is very mild hay with barely any detectable hops. It has more of an adjunct taste than the aroma leads you to believe. Light grain and cooked corn with a hint of fruit on the finish. It has a thin, soda-like mouthfeel. First let me say that this is not a good beer at all. However, I can’t blast it too hard because compared to the other ultra-watered-down domestic cheapos, you can do a lot worse. Sure it lacks character, but at least what IS there isn’t completely revolting. It’s easy to drinking and thirst quenching. A good beer to down after moving the lawn on a hot summer day… could probably do it in a few seconds. But what I don’t understand is that this is made by Coors and is marketed as a bargain beer, but I think this tastes better than Coors Light.

2.77/5  rDev +39.2%

I was at Wal-mart today on a limited budget. I had a choice. Keystone Light, Beast, or Natty. I chose Keystone having never really had it completely sober.

Appearance - Very pale yellow. Very little head. Not great.

Smell - Corn and hops. Very mild though. I tend to like something with a little more smell.

Taste - Actually, this wasn't too bad. It goes down like water, but still tastes like beer. That special can must have done something right.

Mouthfeel - Nothing. Actually quite refreshing. Since it's like water, there is no disgusting residue.

Drinkability - I've had two of these suckers tonight. Easy to down, but I couldn't drink them all day like I've seen many of my friends do.

2.8/5  rDev +40.7%

poured a perfectly clear pale yellow color with adequate white puffy head that quickly fell to a thin ring. Smell is virtually non-existent with only a slight swwetness present. Taste is also very light and would be difficult to distinguish from water if not for the carbonation. Finish is virtually without taste. Spacer beer.

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

Ha. Can provided by GABF as part of a reward for all my volunteer efforts for the 2005 show. Pours a one finger fizzy white head over a dull and very pale straw liquid. Think of it as a yellow ghost of a beer. Smells very very mild. Only a hint of malt sweet. Cardboard, corn, melon. Maybe a hint of hop floral (but I'm really searching). Tastes mild malt sweet that's in balance with acrid tang from the carbonation. Some cantelope and some cardboard. A bit tin-like, perhaps from hops...perhaps from the can. You know, this is actually a fairly drinkable beer. No, not challenging nor stellar, but pleasing in its simplicity. On a hot summer day, a nearly water-like beer like this could go down alright. Superthin mouthfeel and highly carbonated. The stamp on the bottom reads DEC18 037 31 F.

1.33/5  rDev -33.2%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had the unfortunate task of drinking. I didn't take the time to really scritinize its appearance, but it didn't appear to be anything special. Clearly, as some others have already noted, the best thing about this beer is how easy it is to shotgun, due to its watery taste and mouthfeel. Aside from the faint bite of hops in the aftertaste, the most dominant flavor I detected here was an odd metallic twang that showed up after the first taste.

This stuff is cheap (rightly so) and is therefore a good choice if you want to drink a lot fast. Other than that, try and avoid it.

2.71/5  rDev +36.2%

Keystone Light pours a bright clear amber from a 16oz aluminum pop top can. Head went well over two fingers before collapsing back to nothing, no ring, no foam islands, no nothing. Now here’s a kicker, after pouring out the beer from the can to the glass, I left the room to watch the end of “E-Ring” on the TV. I was gone about 10 minutes and when I came back, I see a well defined ring of very fine foam with islands of light foam in the center of my glass being feed by an upwelling of bubbles from the beer, and as I write this review, the ring and the islands of foam are getting bigger... go figure.

Nose is a cloy corn adjunct and whiffs of alcohol, more alcohol than I would have figured from a 4.2 beer. Also in the nose is a weak damp straw, not pronounced, but off in the background and not really a major element.

Palate is an almost cloy sweet corn and not as sweet as the last time I remember drinking this beer. The last time was much less sweeter and far more dryer than this batch with a code date on the bottom of the can of “JAN01 027 05 E” The bittering of hops is minimal, some slight bitter hops and the sting of carbonation, bring up the rear of this review.

The ring of fine light foam is leaving a fair amount of lace on the sides of my glass to bring up the looks. The intensity of the taste is much more than I would have figured coming from a light beer.

A light beer with taste... just the wrong taste in my humble opinion. I would have liked to have had a sweet barley malt instead of sweet corn but I guess any taste in a light beer is better than no taste at all.

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my fraternity's beer of choice. That should tell you something. Mainly that this is cheap and doesn't taste like beer. BeerAdvocate asks that when you slam a beer you must mention a good characteristic so here it is: This is the best beer for shotgunning I have ever found. Since it's closely related to bad tasting water, it just slides down the hatch.

1.85/5  rDev -7%

Oh gawd...I hoped for better from Coors..but I was disappointed.

A: Piss. Head dissipated like a head on a can of soda.
S: Trace of hops and beer smell.
T: Like weak beer.
M: Like beer flavored water.
D: Hmmm...well....I guess it's not very filling so....I could have a couple.

Overall: My Gawd. You mean to tell me that guy can get up in those commercials and talk about beer QUALITY( even in spanish)!!!??? I'm sorry. Busch beer is like Warsteiner compared to this. I mean, force carbonated, swill. It has alcohol and tastes somewhat like beer. That's all I'm gonna say.

1.93/5  rDev -3%

Pours straw gold, with incredible clarity. One finger head fizzles away like tonic water. No lacing, but carbonation is highly active. Strong esters and cereal adjunct in the nose, with no malt or hop aromas present. Sweet cereal flavor and mildly bitter aftertaste that may be hops. Finishes semi-dry, with a foul adjunct and ester taste clinging to the tounge. Light bodied and crisp, this would be refreshing and drinkable if not for the harsh taste.

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

As pale as you can get before hitting clear. Fizzy head that dies.

Smells like rotting grain in an unattended barn. YUCK!

Tastes like a bunch of rotten grain too. Maybe the slugs would like it better, because I sure don't.

Just crap, but at least it goes down alright if you can stomach the taste and smell. It's cheap for a reason.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

The old 12 oz. blue and silver can.
Appearance: A fizzy, came and gone too fast head that really looked like it came off a can of poured pop. The beer itself is a yellow color with constant bubbles. The stuff looks really carbonated.
Smell: Not much. Not much at all. I get a little corn smell from it.
Taste: Watered down. It's a light American Lager. There isn't much to say about mouthfeel but water, but - when it comes down to it, like a good number of the other reviewers here - this is a college beer. Something a number of people started drinking because they either knew no better or wanted a cheap buzz. I drank it for both reasons in school, but this isn't something I buy readily now unless I'm throwing a cheap bash for a bunch of people who are content with BMC because they'll drink this too. Either way, I don't necessarily hold it against this beer. That is what it's created for: the low on funds, adjunct lager lover

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company