Keystone Light | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Reviews: 471 | Ratings: 1,937
1.15/5  rDev -41.9%

This is basically coor's light, but a little bit lighter. Most people can't tell the difference if you try to get them to differentiate. This beer is water. I think people only drink it because it's cheap. I had a girl try my miller then her keystone and she was like mine tastes all diluted. If you are playing a drinking game that will require you to drink a crap load of beer, then keystone would be a good pick. It's very easy to chug because it's basically just water. This beer also has NO color whatsoever. A very fainy smell as well. Don't order this beer if you are in the mood to just have a beer with a meal. This is a drinking game/save money on beer type beer. If you are looking only to save money though, I'd go with other beers. There are even cheaper beers that taste even better than keystone.

1.58/5  rDev -20.2%

We had a nickname for Keystone Light in high school: 'backpack beer.' Why? Because we weren't supposed to have it, but if someone did get it, it remained hidden in someone's backpack, no matter how warm it got.

Keystone Light has a single purpose: a cheap beer that a lot of people can drink. I could never recommend this beer, because it's like a 'Bud Light Light.' It's watery and has a bit of a stink that is unfortunate. I avoided Keystone Ice for years, because I was afraid it was going to be a darker-Keystone Light.

'Avoid' is certainly the proper rating for this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +64.1%

Not great, but not bad either. Good if you want to drink and not get full. Better than Bud Light in taste, but it does fall short of something great.

Cheap beer, 30 pack cans here are $10.99. While I would not order this at a bar with dinner, it is good to drink when you have friend over playing XBox 360.

1.65/5  rDev -16.7%

The only reason to buy this beer is if you are a poor college student looking to imbibe mass quantities of beer, which I am. Obviously, this beer warrants no comparisons to any quality craft brew. It's probably the cheapest beers available, available at my local package store for $13 for a 30 pack. You're not supposed to taste this beer, you're supposed to drink it as fast as you can. Avoid tasting it at all costs, because what little flavor this beer posesses is not a very agreeable taste. If you're just looking to get drunk and are on a budget, this is the beer for you. On a side note, this is the only beer that has induced me to vomit.

1.24/5  rDev -37.4%

The apperance of this beer is awful. It looks like poorly carbonated piss after a real heavy night of drinking. There is no head. I have at least had some/poor head retention on beer in a dirty glass; my glass is clean, the fault is in the beer.

The aroma might just might be the best thing about this beer. It faintly smells of cereal grains. The rest of the aroma is composed of smells that remind me of drunk people's breath, shitty frat parties, and homeless people.

This barely tastes like beer. I don't know how it is even classified as beer. In all seriousness it tastes more like flavored water. No malt, no hops. Just fizzy yellow water.

Feels just like flavored water on the palate. It is way more carbonated than the appearance leads one to believe. This beer has a good drinkability if you like shitty beer. The only reason I would actually pay for this is if I were hosting a party where the drinkers didn't know any better. It goes down real easy, but if you want beer why buy this?

Note: Just because a company makes a beer lower in carbs and calories doesn't mean that the beer has to be awful. Someone needs to tell this to all Macro-breweries. I mean I think that there could be some flavor. Lean Cuisines are low in carbs and calories and they still have flavor. I mean, come on!

Damn! I just spilled this shit beer all over my computer! I'll be mad if this crappy beer ruins my computer. Now, if it were arrogant bastard, duvel, or perhaps a good scotch ale it would be understandable.

1.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow with lots of carbonation.

Smell - Skunky metalic corn. Better avoid smelling it.

Taste - Below average at best. Very watered down, processed and skunky. Serving cold like your Coors is a must.

Drinkability - Avoid at all costs. However, this beer is usually the top choice at parties because of its ultra-low price.

1.7/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A. The beer pours an almost clear yellow color with lots n lots of bubbles
S. Almost nill ... well maybee some aluminum if drank by can.
T. Carbonated water and no real big beer taste, despite what the label may lead you to believe...this is like a lot of other watered down light brew.
M. Clear and crisp with no bad bite at the end
O.When I was younger I thought that this it was not to bad in a pinch, but now IMHO it's best to leave this one to the college frats and softball teams to cheap to pitch in for Coors light.

1.57/5  rDev -20.7%

Wow, I feel like a complete tool right now, I'm actually writing a review for KEYSTONE LIGHT... I didn't even think that it would be on this site. But, it is, and seeing that I go to IU, I feel the need to pay homage to the greatest party school that has ever existed. And what do the people drink at IU? It's Keystone Light my friends. This was the first beer I ever drank, in my friends' dorm. Respect your roots I guess.

Of course I had this beer in a can, and when it's ICE cold, it's actually not too terrible; the cold overpowers any of the bad taste. Something I would drink fast for a buzz at a party, or after physical activities. It's a light yellow, much like urine, which one could argue is eerily similar to its taste. When warm it's nasty, and anytime you drink it it's watered down like crazy. What smell? There really is no smell, except out of a keg it has that crayon smell to it, and just cheap beer. The only reason it has a 2 drinkability is out of sheer frequency of drinking it, so I have become accustomed to it now. I mean seriously, what else are you going to drink at a college party? Cheap Beer- Keystone Light is the epitomy.

1.3/5  rDev -34.3%

Keystone Light: Can.

You can get the same taste out of this brew if you put a chewed up piece of bubblegum in a glass of water and lit it sit for an hour.

Very light in appearance with a large sized head when poured. Quickly settled into medium lacing. The beer was very watery with a slight bubblegum flavor to it. That is about it folks.

Notes: You are either buying this because it is on sale... or because it is on sale. There is no way any self respecting lover of beer should be buying this stuff.

2.77/5  rDev +39.9%

Pours a pale straw with a large, white, fizzy, quickly diminishing head. The smell is very mild hay with barely any detectable hops. It has more of an adjunct taste than the aroma leads you to believe. Light grain and cooked corn with a hint of fruit on the finish. It has a thin, soda-like mouthfeel. First let me say that this is not a good beer at all. However, I can’t blast it too hard because compared to the other ultra-watered-down domestic cheapos, you can do a lot worse. Sure it lacks character, but at least what IS there isn’t completely revolting. It’s easy to drinking and thirst quenching. A good beer to down after moving the lawn on a hot summer day… could probably do it in a few seconds. But what I don’t understand is that this is made by Coors and is marketed as a bargain beer, but I think this tastes better than Coors Light.

2.77/5  rDev +39.9%

I was at Wal-mart today on a limited budget. I had a choice. Keystone Light, Beast, or Natty. I chose Keystone having never really had it completely sober.

Appearance - Very pale yellow. Very little head. Not great.

Smell - Corn and hops. Very mild though. I tend to like something with a little more smell.

Taste - Actually, this wasn't too bad. It goes down like water, but still tastes like beer. That special can must have done something right.

Mouthfeel - Nothing. Actually quite refreshing. Since it's like water, there is no disgusting residue.

Drinkability - I've had two of these suckers tonight. Easy to down, but I couldn't drink them all day like I've seen many of my friends do.

2.8/5  rDev +41.4%

poured a perfectly clear pale yellow color with adequate white puffy head that quickly fell to a thin ring. Smell is virtually non-existent with only a slight swwetness present. Taste is also very light and would be difficult to distinguish from water if not for the carbonation. Finish is virtually without taste. Spacer beer.

2.7/5  rDev +36.4%

Ha. Can provided by GABF as part of a reward for all my volunteer efforts for the 2005 show. Pours a one finger fizzy white head over a dull and very pale straw liquid. Think of it as a yellow ghost of a beer. Smells very very mild. Only a hint of malt sweet. Cardboard, corn, melon. Maybe a hint of hop floral (but I'm really searching). Tastes mild malt sweet that's in balance with acrid tang from the carbonation. Some cantelope and some cardboard. A bit tin-like, perhaps from hops...perhaps from the can. You know, this is actually a fairly drinkable beer. No, not challenging nor stellar, but pleasing in its simplicity. On a hot summer day, a nearly water-like beer like this could go down alright. Superthin mouthfeel and highly carbonated. The stamp on the bottom reads DEC18 037 31 F.

1.33/5  rDev -32.8%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had the unfortunate task of drinking. I didn't take the time to really scritinize its appearance, but it didn't appear to be anything special. Clearly, as some others have already noted, the best thing about this beer is how easy it is to shotgun, due to its watery taste and mouthfeel. Aside from the faint bite of hops in the aftertaste, the most dominant flavor I detected here was an odd metallic twang that showed up after the first taste.

This stuff is cheap (rightly so) and is therefore a good choice if you want to drink a lot fast. Other than that, try and avoid it.

2.71/5  rDev +36.9%

Keystone Light pours a bright clear amber from a 16oz aluminum pop top can. Head went well over two fingers before collapsing back to nothing, no ring, no foam islands, no nothing. Now here’s a kicker, after pouring out the beer from the can to the glass, I left the room to watch the end of “E-Ring” on the TV. I was gone about 10 minutes and when I came back, I see a well defined ring of very fine foam with islands of light foam in the center of my glass being feed by an upwelling of bubbles from the beer, and as I write this review, the ring and the islands of foam are getting bigger... go figure.

Nose is a cloy corn adjunct and whiffs of alcohol, more alcohol than I would have figured from a 4.2 beer. Also in the nose is a weak damp straw, not pronounced, but off in the background and not really a major element.

Palate is an almost cloy sweet corn and not as sweet as the last time I remember drinking this beer. The last time was much less sweeter and far more dryer than this batch with a code date on the bottom of the can of “JAN01 027 05 E” The bittering of hops is minimal, some slight bitter hops and the sting of carbonation, bring up the rear of this review.

The ring of fine light foam is leaving a fair amount of lace on the sides of my glass to bring up the looks. The intensity of the taste is much more than I would have figured coming from a light beer.

A light beer with taste... just the wrong taste in my humble opinion. I would have liked to have had a sweet barley malt instead of sweet corn but I guess any taste in a light beer is better than no taste at all.

1.5/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my fraternity's beer of choice. That should tell you something. Mainly that this is cheap and doesn't taste like beer. BeerAdvocate asks that when you slam a beer you must mention a good characteristic so here it is: This is the best beer for shotgunning I have ever found. Since it's closely related to bad tasting water, it just slides down the hatch.

1.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Oh gawd...I hoped for better from Coors..but I was disappointed.

A: Piss. Head dissipated like a head on a can of soda.
S: Trace of hops and beer smell.
T: Like weak beer.
M: Like beer flavored water.
D: Hmmm...well....I guess it's not very filling so....I could have a couple.

Overall: My Gawd. You mean to tell me that guy can get up in those commercials and talk about beer QUALITY( even in spanish)!!!??? I'm sorry. Busch beer is like Warsteiner compared to this. I mean, force carbonated, swill. It has alcohol and tastes somewhat like beer. That's all I'm gonna say.

1.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours straw gold, with incredible clarity. One finger head fizzles away like tonic water. No lacing, but carbonation is highly active. Strong esters and cereal adjunct in the nose, with no malt or hop aromas present. Sweet cereal flavor and mildly bitter aftertaste that may be hops. Finishes semi-dry, with a foul adjunct and ester taste clinging to the tounge. Light bodied and crisp, this would be refreshing and drinkable if not for the harsh taste.

1.43/5  rDev -27.8%

As pale as you can get before hitting clear. Fizzy head that dies.

Smells like rotting grain in an unattended barn. YUCK!

Tastes like a bunch of rotten grain too. Maybe the slugs would like it better, because I sure don't.

Just crap, but at least it goes down alright if you can stomach the taste and smell. It's cheap for a reason.

2.18/5  rDev +10.1%

The old 12 oz. blue and silver can.
Appearance: A fizzy, came and gone too fast head that really looked like it came off a can of poured pop. The beer itself is a yellow color with constant bubbles. The stuff looks really carbonated.
Smell: Not much. Not much at all. I get a little corn smell from it.
Taste: Watered down. It's a light American Lager. There isn't much to say about mouthfeel but water, but - when it comes down to it, like a good number of the other reviewers here - this is a college beer. Something a number of people started drinking because they either knew no better or wanted a cheap buzz. I drank it for both reasons in school, but this isn't something I buy readily now unless I'm throwing a cheap bash for a bunch of people who are content with BMC because they'll drink this too. Either way, I don't necessarily hold it against this beer. That is what it's created for: the low on funds, adjunct lager lover

2.45/5  rDev +23.7%

The fuzz have been comin down hard on softball players in Patterson Park. No more can you nonchelantly wander about the dugout with canned beers in your hand. The brews must be in cans and must be poured into plastic or covered with koozies, or else they'll make you remove and destroy them.

The last week or so, it's been 90+ and humid as all get out. Last night was no exception. Through the steam, we walked onto the softball-field-of-battle empty handed. (I've been too busy to hit the quality beer stops for canned goodness. Plus, we were late and I didn't have the chance to hide any bottled goodies to pour into plastic.) One of the gentle souls on the team packed a cooler full of Keystone Light, with loads of ice, and collectable koozies to boot. I wiped my sweaty brow, pulled the shirt from sticking to my body, and grabbed a cold one.

The 30-pack of cans set him back $12 with tax from a local. No born on or freshness dating was evident, but they allegedly use a specially lined can. A glimpse into plastic cups revealed what one would expect, pale pee yellow brew with a limp white foam head.

Smell of cream corn in a can

Slick and crisp, there is a carbonation tingle to the mouth. Not much malt or hop to speak of. Some astringent like grain flavor on the finish. Like a flavored seltzer.

Drinkable given the situation--they were colder than cold, there was no water, it was hot and humid. Not something that I would normally go back to. If you hear any rumor that I beer-bonged this in the past, you will get a crisp "no-comment."

2.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

At a fellow BA's prodding, I am now not turning down any macro i'm offered so I can determine if there's anything redeeming there...

Well this one sure goes down easy and tastes like pretty much nothing...so its good and bad. I guess there's a time and place for everything, so this one's respective place would be

A) lawnmower beer
B) gifted beer when poor
C) something beer-like to satisfy the desire to have a beer after having a bunch of flavorful/high ABV beers

Not as bad as I remember it, and likely better than Coors Light. I'd rather have no flavor than bad flavor.

1.18/5  rDev -40.4%

Overall, this is the worst beer I have had. It is cheap to buy
and that is why people do it, but it certainly isn't for the taste.
It tastes something like water with bubbles...lots of bubbles.
In fact I find the carbonation in this beer often settles in the
stomach and makes one feel almost nautious. If you are
looking for something cheap and want to get drunk,
this might be your beer, but I woudn't recommend it.

1.68/5  rDev -15.2%

All good college students know about Keystone Light. This is the one that the bartender that gave it to me termed "study beer". Studying what? because drinking this would break my concentration.

I think that it got the name because they offered it at $3.00 a pitcher. It pours a pale yellow with a slight fizz for head. The taste? It had taste? You might as well have drank water. It sorta goes with BBQ but I can come up with about 10 other ones that would be better.

So, if there was nothing else, it won't kill you. Otherwise, I'd pass.

1.6/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I drank this yesterday, and I took notes. Maybe if I were drinking it now, after having my palete wonderfully raped by Alpha King, it would be alright, but after a horrible 2 days with alcohol this was NOT a good beer.

Sour hops and water. Nothing else. Poured like water, smelled like water (with just a hint of grain), tasted like water and urine with a little bit of foul, sour hops.

This is the beer that people who live on the street drink. Come on. You're better than that.

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company