Coors Extra Gold
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Coors Extra GoldCoors Extra Gold
Score:
Ranked #49,572
2.58 | pDev: 32.17%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 325 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
mnrider from Connecticut

2.52/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz Gold Can

A: Pours a bright golden color. One finger of bubbly white head. Strong carbonation. No head retention or lacing. Color is nice though.

S: Cool to the nose. Malts and grains. Sweet smelling. Cereal and corn.

T/M: Grainy and sweet. Dry. Malts. A little creamy. Moderate carbonation. Crisp, clean dry finish. Slight hop taste. Grassy and faintly floral. Bready malts.

O: Pretty boring beer. Light on taste with a halfway decent mouthfeel. Could be crisper for me. I’ve had worse from this style.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2020
OzJones

1.26/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Feels thick, like a stout, and not in a good way. tastes like an old beer, maybe slightly skunked during shipping. Aftertaste is that of, instead of brewing beer, they put a shot of everclear into grain tea.

I got a 30 pack for $20. So as far as price goes, it's damn affordable. And at 5%, it'll do the job. But that's all the credit I can give it.

Feb 24, 2020
Ixchel from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev +51.9%

Honestly, some of the best beer you can get for $6.50 a 12 pack. In my opinion, tastes better than Budweiser, has the same ABV, and is much MUCH cheaper. Now I'm not a huge fan of Budweiser myself, but I know people are huge on it, and to those people, I'd say buy this and save a few bucks.

Feb 03, 2020
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.27/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Rates about halfway between poor and below average. Pours a clear light gold color with decent head that fades quickly. Aroma is sweet and grainy. Taste follows the scent, just something slightly off that I can't describe. A bit more than light mouthfeel and an aftertaste that is best scribed as tinny

Jan 03, 2020
Zombierage13

When I first drank it it had a bit to it and after the first one I noticed it was going down rather smooth and had a very enjoyable taste. I have now been drinking is for 5 years and you can't beat the price!

Nov 30, 2019
BoydOnKildare

4.94/5  rDev +91.5%

Extra Gold Lager is a rich, full-flavored lager with a deep golden color. Starts with slow aged roasted (near toasty and you can taste it) malts, which are then combined with its other ingredients (ONLY: Water, Barley Malt, A Germinated Corn Grind for a little extra maltose, Coors own nearly bottom possible temp yeast, cascade hops certainly, but I can't get an answer on their strain. Likely typical lager finishing hops because this beer is ALL LAGER. If it was in a clear Miller High Life bottle with a redesign it would go from lawnmower beer to the top of the domestic lager game. It's a robust, beautiful, full, crisp, clean, and perfect example of an American Lager. Slow-brewed to produce this truly refined lager in an unassuming packaging at an unassuming price. If I were PR I would repitch it with a marketing strategy and get back to basics. They're too bloated and monopolized to realize a blind test would put them in the top 5 American Lagers. I picture a small Coors original shape bottle with the brown glass and the stubby style with the same price.

Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose), Yeast, Hop Extract

Sep 19, 2019
odannyob from Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +62%

This here is a pretty gosh-darn easy lager to enjoy, folks. Unpretentious; best appreciated VERY, VERY cold.
A consistent pleasure for when what one wants is just a simple beer.
And as far as I can net-investigate, brewed only at the Golden, Colorado brewery.
This is a fine, excellent brew. One I hope Coors/Molson continues to brew.

Jun 05, 2019
BeerBobber from Nevada

3.68/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The color is extra golden actually more like copper with a quickly dissipating white head of foam.

Smells like it has a bit of some sour mash, maybe like sour malts. Got it! With that bread like lager smell this smells like a sourdough bread. Love it or leave it.

The taste is pretty unremarkable or shocking. Tastes like a macro lager with a hint of sour. The sour is not offensive or overpowering. There is a bit of some sweet coming into play as well.

Mouth is a bit more towards medium with that unusual sour and sweet. Finishes easy with just a bit of oiliness.

Overall not a bad beer but more of what I would call it an inexpensive beer. Found this in a Colorado liquor store for 16.99 when I went back to Denver for a bit. This beer lends itself to be drinking it out of a can not a glass. I don't even think it wants to be analyzed because I think the cans are saying just open me and drink the damn beer.

Apr 02, 2019
Bsbright84 from Pennsylvania

4.55/5  rDev +76.4%

I know opinions are like assholes everyone got one and they all stink...but in my defense I drank this beer before I was of age and every now and again when I want to feel like I’m doing something wrong but still want to feel good about it I buy two twelve packs. Once they are gone I move on once a year is good enough for me it’s kinda like pizza even bad pizza is still kinda good cause I mean it’s pizza come on you with me

Oct 10, 2018
BeerPatrick40 from New Hampshire

3.37/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I always walked by this beer in the store wondering when I would finally take the plunge, and I’m glad I eventually did. It’s intersting that nowhere on the casing do you see the name “Coors.” I guess that must be part of its charm. This beer is insanely affordable compared to its Coors and Coors Light relatives, and I don’t believe the taste is far off. Coors Banquet beer will always be tops in my book, but Extra Gold still features the same signature Coors taste that makes this brand so popular, despite poor sales in 2018. Its light, corny, and easy on the ABV, which makes for a great summer time brew. In the age of flavorful craft beer, there is still a place for the macro American lager on certain occaisions. I hope Extra Gold sticks around, I’m buying it again. Definitely the best of the cheaper 30 rack items!

Jul 01, 2018
Steve_Studnuts from Pennsylvania

2.61/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

On a budget this week and saw a 12 pack of this for $5.29 and couldn't resist. The clerk and myself agreed that for that price it can only be awful. We'll see. Brought to you by the folks at Coors. Their super-cheap swill line, I reckon.

To the eye, this stuff actually looks a lot better than your typical lager. Deep golden color; very active with tiny little bubbles constantly floating topside; minimal, foamy white head that never fully dissipates. My sniffer is a bit off thanks to suffering through a cold this week, but it's picking up quite a bit of corny sweetness. The taste follows and is accompanied by a somewhat off-putting amount of carbonation. Not digging that. Overall, though, this beats the pants off its pricier older sibling, Coors Light. I can see myself buying this again when breaking the 'ol piggy bank.

Jan 20, 2018
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.39/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

One of the first beers I tried when I turned 21. Impossible to find around here anymore, though. I remember that the cheap 30-packs were only found in niche stores even back in the day.

Dec 13, 2017
Chilltown4evr from New Jersey

Just picked up a 30 pack of this wonderful brew. Here in NJ a 30 pack costs $17.99. I've tried all of the Coors brands with the exception of their sweet beer. This beer is exceptional for the price point. It has a slight malt, hoppy and corn smell. It smells and tastes very good to me. I don't know why Coors doesn't advertise this as well as their Coors light or Banquet beers. I absolutely love the taste of this beer and would recommend it to anyone who drinks Budweiser. This is hands down is better than Budweiser! Cheers from the garden state!

Nov 10, 2017
KanagawaKen from Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%

I've lived in Denver for over 20 years and drank Coors Extra Gold for years mainly because my wife liked it and it is about the cheapest beer you can buy ($17 for a 30 pack). But after drinking it so long for picnics and steaks on the grill over the years, I discovered it is really not a bad brew! It certainly does not compare with a fine craft beer. But after years of drinking it, it has become my favorite go-to beer. I don't think any mass produced beer compares. My wife and I have done taste comparisons with Stella and Heneken and we both think CEG has them beat by a mile. What I like is that it has a slight "bite" that I especially like. What I can't understand is (1) why does Coors sell this beer so cheap? (2) Why is this beer not advertised by Coors? (3) Why is it only available (in the Denver market) in cans? (4) Why is it only available in certain markets? I think Coors underestimates Coors Extra Gold.

Oct 28, 2017
rudzud from Massachusetts

3.83/5  rDev +48.4%

Picked up a case of this for when you want to drink something with a bit of alcohol in it but also want to stay hydrated.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear dark gold color with a one finger white head that faded unusually slowly to leave a creamy halo and a thin blanket. Uhhmmm...wut? There is even some nice lacing. I don't think I've ever had a macro or adjunct lager had a head that stayed like this. Almost like a pilsner. What the...

S - Aromas of lightly sweet malts, roasted/toasted corn. Much more of a toasted corn note than the usual BMC. Little grassy note. Most corn forward macro I've smelled that also didnt have a syrupy note to it. Err...ooookaaayyy... Not entirely sure if I got a super 'fresh' can or what but this is the best smelling adjunct lager I've come across. For what it is this is thoroughly impressive.

T - Taste is sweeter malts, more of that toasted corn. No metallic taste though nor am I getting any syrupy or skunked notes. Tastes like I assume what a bowl of soggy day old cornflakes with water instead of milk would taste like with maybe a little bit of bread soaked in there too. It's corn water, sure, but there aren't any 'off' flavors here. Also it's not overly sweet by any stretch of the imagination which other than maybe Schiltz 60's formula makes this the only macro I've had that wasn't super sweet. It still is what it is though, corn water.

M - Mouthfeel is the usual crisp, watery self but because it's not sweet or syrupy it comes across as rather refreshing.

O - Overall...what the hell is going on? This really is shockingly good. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to IPAs or any other style for that matter but this is like comparing a junkyard beater to a nice car on the lot. Sure, the lot car is going to be a hell of a lot nicer but they both get you from point A to point B. And unlike other junkyard cars (macro BMC lagers) this one, for what it is, actually isn't half bad. Certainly would not be my beer of choice if offered just about any craft beer, however, I would take this over any other adjunct lager or macro beer out there. Maybe I got lucky and got a good can of it but man, reviewing based totally on the style, this is leaps and bounds ahead of all the others. My world is shook.

Serving Type: Can

Aug 19, 2017
Franderosa from Massachusetts

4.03/5  rDev +56.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

OK...I get it. Not everyone is, or has been flocking to consume this beer. However, for those thousands of semi-disillusioned drinkers of standard "go to beers", (i.e. Bud heavy, Bud light, Coors Light, Miller, Corona, etc.), this is an excellent "go to beer" that I have enjoyed for about 30 years or so. [Sidebar - It was great in a bottle; wish it was available on draft!] There is a reason why this beer has endured for so long. Not many even know of its existence, (due to lack of major marketing efforts), but thanks to word of mouth, beer drinkers are pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely LOVE and support the top-end beers with all the bells & whistles, but this beer (for the price and taste), ain't all that bad. Just sayin'!

Jul 15, 2017
Raime from Greenland

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Same place I got the other few. Dented can for $1. Never knew Coors brewed another lager and to be quite honest I don't expect much out of this one at all.

Pours the typical dehydrated urine yellow with a large bone white head that sticks around for an eternity leaving crater upon crater in the glass.

Smells like Coors banquet though there is something rather..papery about this one.

Follows the typical AAL suit though there is a touch of wheat which makes it a bit better until that odd wet papery flavors comes through.

Feel is light bodied with a boat load of carbonation. Swallows easy and the wheaty aspect becomes a bit more prominent as it sits around the mouth.

Overall just another generic AAL. The wheat would have made it above average had the paper not been a throw off in the flavor and nose. Oh well. Worth a dollar. Random gas station brews are all gone, time to kill these last four Dorados.

Feb 16, 2017
StonedTrippin from Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -12.8%

this is punishingly bad, the worst thing i have had from coors in recent memory. i see the appeal of a cheap suitcase of beers, but this is barely even beer. a corny yellow water that tastes more like the can its packaged in than any grain or hops, at least the water flavor is there. high carbonation and an insanely light body are its ownly redeeming factors, and i guess its price, but the flavor here ranges from nonexistent to bad, depending on how cold it is. flavorless when ice cold, but as it warms metallic adjuncts come out, white paper thats wet, even a mild canned green pea flavor, its really pretty poor, and can turn even a decent plate of chicken wings against you. hard to compare this to any craft lager, but even in its field, its bad. not even close to as good as a coors or coors light, and that shouldnt be a particularly high benchmark. i can say with absolute certainty that i will never drink this beer again. even in a place where the beer list was lacking, i should have got a cocktail intead...

Oct 22, 2016
puboflyons from New Hampshire

2.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. can dated Oct 10, 2016. Sampled on October 9, 23016. 24 hours to go! I can't believe I have not rated this one so It thought it might be a nice way to celebrate 2,900 BA ratings.

Golden yellow pour under a big and long lasting white foamy head.

The aroma reeks of corn syrup, toasted breaded malt, and a clean enough grassy hop character. The corn syrup is a bit much.

Light body, which is to be expected for the style.

T^he taste is a step above the aroma with the same syrupy malt character but a slightly more noticeable grainy and sweet character. Clean finish.

It is what it is and getting harder to come by in my area,

Oct 09, 2016
joecon from Pennsylvania

2.88/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Best of the Coors brands and much better tha Bud, Miller, and the rest of the National Brands. Not going to rate this by the five factors, like GOOD BEER. But it's a good, cheap, everyday beer.

Jul 14, 2016
Wer34truh from Minnesota

3.07/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty good example of the style. Much better than the regular Coors, and one of my favorites in the 'cheap crappy beer'-category. Has a satisfying malt undertone, with some sweet grassy after-flavors.

Jul 12, 2016
Squire from Mississippi

3.3/5  rDev +27.9%

Canned Colorado Sunshine.

I've consumed enough Coors products over the years to have a basis for opinion and this one's pick of the litter. Coors Banquet with more stuffing, just a richer, rounder, more fully flavored product. Not a Munich Helles or anything like that but if you're in the mood for Coors this is the one to get. Shame it isn't very widely distributed.

I wouldn't travel across State lines to get it but I would go across town in the rain.

Apr 14, 2016
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.9/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(12 oz can, poured into my Chouffe tulip)

L: crystal-clear, light-orange amber liquid... tight sudsy foam that fizzles away immediately, but somewhat slowly... no head retention or lace

S: mildly toasty, pale malt emphasis with a pleasant intensity of yeast and alcohol esters, maybe even some faint hop aroma... overall, a fine beery smell

T: relatively full malt presence with an overlying dry, grassy flavor, subtle fruity-sweet edge, and cracker-y, granola tinged finish... nearly bone dry, very mellow aftertaste with a touch of the alcohol and esters lingering behind

F: light to light-medium body - think soft, carbonated mineral water... mellow fizziness (best drunk from can if you want more zap! on your palate, which I often prefer with these beers)... the follow through and finish doesn't leave you terribly refreshed, though it's nice how dry it is

O: one could almost but not quite mistake this for a German macro lager... nice yeast profile and malt flavor (perhaps the glass enhanced these qualities?)... I'd be curious to compare this side-by-side with Miller High Life and Bud

Oct 28, 2015
Ricko from Ohio

3.7/5  rDev +43.4%

Yes it is golden, smells like your average non-light macro beer but then it gets interesting..a bit. This is my first time trying this and I didn't expect much but wanted to give it a go because it is incredibly hot outside 90's here in the mid-west. I always want a beer that I can take out on my balcony and drink and enjoy however due to the heat that makes it somewhat difficult because it warms so quickly without a good insulated drinking container. So with temps in the 90's even during the early evening, I'll try 3 ice-cubes. This is a good test to see of the flavor of the beer stands strong as opposed to becoming watered down and whimpy. This is where this Extra Gold made me smile and want another 30 pack for some $17 and change.

This beer will wet your whistle and stay cold with the help of 3 ice-cubes without becoming watered and whimpy before you get towards the bottom 3rd of your beer glass. And even at that bottom 3rd, there still was some carbonation left which delighted me and provided a nice clean finish. Pairs well with a nice fat 2015 Gurkha Seduction cigar too! In-fact I'm heading in for a 2nd glass right now. So for this macro beer (I'm a craft beer snob) I'm giving this an over-all 4 score for these reasons I've given above.

If you are looking for something to refresh and provide hydration that tastes like a normal beer even with a few ice-cubes...Coors Extra Gold Lager is a pleasant surprise. I'll be visiting my local Jungle Jim's for another 30 pak very soon. But when it gets cooler I'll be shopping for my beloved craft beers again where the weather allows me more time to enjoy a nice slow drink.

Sep 05, 2015
VABA from Virginia

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has slight malt hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a slight malt flavor
M-A lifht bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A decent lager

Aug 16, 2015
Coors Extra Gold from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 62 out of 100 with 325 ratings