Coors Extra Gold
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Coors Extra GoldCoors Extra Gold
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
SCORE
Poor
Coors Extra GoldCoors Extra Gold
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Kevinski from Ohio

3.62/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75
I researched and can't get a straight answer on if this beer is still brewed by Molson Coors. This is a beer that you could drink one or twelve..... smooth and consistent in taste. I hope to see on the Ohio shelves in the future.
Aug 22, 2022

Rated: 3.01 by smi69 from New York

Jan 02, 2022

Rated: 1.61 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota

Nov 20, 2021
Reviewed by JPB1231000 from Georgia

4.36/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
Underrated... Such a GREAT tasting beer... sorry it had little to no success in my region. I live in a college town that has MEGA PACKAGE stores but NO EXTRA GOLD.... American Big Brews are SO UNDERRATED.... When they try an EXTRA GOLD or "DopPle Bock" they get axed by the Rednecks and Hipsters!!!!
Nov 16, 2020
Reviewed by mnrider from Connecticut

2.52/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5
12 oz Gold Can

A: Pours a bright golden color. One finger of bubbly white head. Strong carbonation. No head retention or lacing. Color is nice though.

S: Cool to the nose. Malts and grains. Sweet smelling. Cereal and corn.

T/M: Grainy and sweet. Dry. Malts. A little creamy. Moderate carbonation. Crisp, clean dry finish. Slight hop taste. Grassy and faintly floral. Bready malts.

O: Pretty boring beer. Light on taste with a halfway decent mouthfeel. Could be crisper for me. I’ve had worse from this style.

Cheers!
Sep 12, 2020

Rated: 3.03 by jaxon53 from Connecticut

Jul 05, 2020

Rated: 1.26 by OzJones

Feb 24, 2020
Reviewed by Ixchel from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev +51.4%
Honestly, some of the best beer you can get for $6.50 a 12 pack. In my opinion, tastes better than Budweiser, has the same ABV, and is much MUCH cheaper. Now I'm not a huge fan of Budweiser myself, but I know people are huge on it, and to those people, I'd say buy this and save a few bucks.
Feb 03, 2020
Reviewed by Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.27/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25
Rates about halfway between poor and below average. Pours a clear light gold color with decent head that fades quickly. Aroma is sweet and grainy. Taste follows the scent, just something slightly off that I can't describe. A bit more than light mouthfeel and an aftertaste that is best scribed as tinny
Jan 03, 2020
Rated by KatyBrooks

Best beer ever. And cheap
Nov 30, 2019
Reviewed by Zombierage13

When I first drank it it had a bit to it and after the first one I noticed it was going down rather smooth and had a very enjoyable taste. I have now been drinking is for 5 years and you can't beat the price!
Nov 30, 2019
Reviewed by BoydOnKildare

4.94/5  rDev +90.7%
Extra Gold Lager is a rich, full-flavored lager with a deep golden color. Starts with slow aged roasted (near toasty and you can taste it) malts, which are then combined with its other ingredients (ONLY: Water, Barley Malt, A Germinated Corn Grind for a little extra maltose, Coors own nearly bottom possible temp yeast, cascade hops certainly, but I can't get an answer on their strain. Likely typical lager finishing hops because this beer is ALL LAGER. If it was in a clear Miller High Life bottle with a redesign it would go from lawnmower beer to the top of the domestic lager game. It's a robust, beautiful, full, crisp, clean, and perfect example of an American Lager. Slow-brewed to produce this truly refined lager in an unassuming packaging at an unassuming price. If I were PR I would repitch it with a marketing strategy and get back to basics. They're too bloated and monopolized to realize a blind test would put them in the top 5 American Lagers. I picture a small Coors original shape bottle with the brown glass and the stubby style with the same price.

Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose), Yeast, Hop Extract
Sep 19, 2019

Rated: 2.5 by McBraniel from Virginia

Aug 19, 2019
Reviewed by odannyob from Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +61.4%
This here is a pretty gosh-darn easy lager to enjoy, folks. Unpretentious; best appreciated VERY, VERY cold.
A consistent pleasure for when what one wants is just a simple beer.
And as far as I can net-investigate, brewed only at the Golden, Colorado brewery.
This is a fine, excellent brew. One I hope Coors/Molson continues to brew.

Which it didn't. So, good-bye, Extra Gold, t'was good to enjoyeth.
R.I.P. (Rest in Recipe)
Jun 05, 2019

Rated: 2.24 by heerboth from Pennsylvania

May 31, 2019

Rated: 2 by chicagoish from Pennsylvania

May 23, 2019
Rated by thrax from Minnesota

4.58/5  rDev +76.8%
I can barely tell it apart from Banquet by flavor. Color slightly more golden. Excellent M-F classic American lager.
Apr 08, 2019
Reviewed by BeerBobber from Nevada

3.68/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
The color is extra golden actually more like copper with a quickly dissipating white head of foam.

Smells like it has a bit of some sour mash, maybe like sour malts. Got it! With that bread like lager smell this smells like a sourdough bread. Love it or leave it.

The taste is pretty unremarkable or shocking. Tastes like a macro lager with a hint of sour. The sour is not offensive or overpowering. There is a bit of some sweet coming into play as well.

Mouth is a bit more towards medium with that unusual sour and sweet. Finishes easy with just a bit of oiliness.

Overall not a bad beer but more of what I would call it an inexpensive beer. Found this in a Colorado liquor store for 16.99 when I went back to Denver for a bit. This beer lends itself to be drinking it out of a can not a glass. I don't even think it wants to be analyzed because I think the cans are saying just open me and drink the damn beer.
Apr 02, 2019

Rated: 2.5 by CoasterGuy from Pennsylvania

Jan 23, 2019
Reviewed by Bsbright84 from Pennsylvania

4.55/5  rDev +75.7%
I know opinions are like assholes everyone got one and they all stink...but in my defense I drank this beer before I was of age and every now and again when I want to feel like I’m doing something wrong but still want to feel good about it I buy two twelve packs. Once they are gone I move on once a year is good enough for me it’s kinda like pizza even bad pizza is still kinda good cause I mean it’s pizza come on you with me
Oct 10, 2018

Rated: 4.08 by Eric_Siebert from Texas

Sep 24, 2018
Rated by jmath52 from Indiana

4.36/5  rDev +68.3%
If Coors Extra Golden is still being manufactured, where can I purchase it?
Aug 01, 2018
Reviewed by BeerPatrick40 from New Hampshire

3.37/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75
I always walked by this beer in the store wondering when I would finally take the plunge, and I’m glad I eventually did. It’s intersting that nowhere on the casing do you see the name “Coors.” I guess that must be part of its charm. This beer is insanely affordable compared to its Coors and Coors Light relatives, and I don’t believe the taste is far off. Coors Banquet beer will always be tops in my book, but Extra Gold still features the same signature Coors taste that makes this brand so popular, despite poor sales in 2018. Its light, corny, and easy on the ABV, which makes for a great summer time brew. In the age of flavorful craft beer, there is still a place for the macro American lager on certain occaisions. I hope Extra Gold sticks around, I’m buying it again. Definitely the best of the cheaper 30 rack items!
Jul 01, 2018
Rated by Mr-Beer from New York

golden color. Crisp clean little bit better than the light but still an average beer
May 20, 2018

Feb 17, 2018
Reviewed by Steve_Studnuts from Pennsylvania

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5
On a budget this week and saw a 12 pack of this for $5.29 and couldn't resist. The clerk and myself agreed that for that price it can only be awful. We'll see. Brought to you by the folks at Coors. Their super-cheap swill line, I reckon.

To the eye, this stuff actually looks a lot better than your typical lager. Deep golden color; very active with tiny little bubbles constantly floating topside; minimal, foamy white head that never fully dissipates. My sniffer is a bit off thanks to suffering through a cold this week, but it's picking up quite a bit of corny sweetness. The taste follows and is accompanied by a somewhat off-putting amount of carbonation. Not digging that. Overall, though, this beats the pants off its pricier older sibling, Coors Light. I can see myself buying this again when breaking the 'ol piggy bank.
Jan 20, 2018
Reviewed by OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.39/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
One of the first beers I tried when I turned 21. Impossible to find around here anymore, though. I remember that the cheap 30-packs were only found in niche stores even back in the day.
Dec 13, 2017
Reviewed by Chilltown4evr from New Jersey

Just picked up a 30 pack of this wonderful brew. Here in NJ a 30 pack costs $17.99. I've tried all of the Coors brands with the exception of their sweet beer. This beer is exceptional for the price point. It has a slight malt, hoppy and corn smell. It smells and tastes very good to me. I don't know why Coors doesn't advertise this as well as their Coors light or Banquet beers. I absolutely love the taste of this beer and would recommend it to anyone who drinks Budweiser. This is hands down is better than Budweiser! Cheers from the garden state!
Nov 10, 2017
Reviewed by KanagawaKen from Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +39%
I've lived in Denver for over 20 years and drank Coors Extra Gold for years mainly because my wife liked it and it is about the cheapest beer you can buy ($17 for a 30 pack). But after drinking it so long for picnics and steaks on the grill over the years, I discovered it is really not a bad brew! It certainly does not compare with a fine craft beer. But after years of drinking it, it has become my favorite go-to beer. I don't think any mass produced beer compares. My wife and I have done taste comparisons with Stella and Heneken and we both think CEG has them beat by a mile. What I like is that it has a slight "bite" that I especially like. What I can't understand is (1) why does Coors sell this beer so cheap? (2) Why is this beer not advertised by Coors? (3) Why is it only available (in the Denver market) in cans? (4) Why is it only available in certain markets? I think Coors underestimates Coors Extra Gold.
Oct 28, 2017

Rated: 2.75 by Hopfenpeter from Maryland

Oct 20, 2017
Reviewed by rudzud from Massachusetts

3.83/5  rDev +47.9%
Picked up a case of this for when you want to drink something with a bit of alcohol in it but also want to stay hydrated.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear dark gold color with a one finger white head that faded unusually slowly to leave a creamy halo and a thin blanket. Uhhmmm...wut? There is even some nice lacing. I don't think I've ever had a macro or adjunct lager had a head that stayed like this. Almost like a pilsner. What the...

S - Aromas of lightly sweet malts, roasted/toasted corn. Much more of a toasted corn note than the usual BMC. Little grassy note. Most corn forward macro I've smelled that also didnt have a syrupy note to it. Err...ooookaaayyy... Not entirely sure if I got a super 'fresh' can or what but this is the best smelling adjunct lager I've come across. For what it is this is thoroughly impressive.

T - Taste is sweeter malts, more of that toasted corn. No metallic taste though nor am I getting any syrupy or skunked notes. Tastes like I assume what a bowl of soggy day old cornflakes with water instead of milk would taste like with maybe a little bit of bread soaked in there too. It's corn water, sure, but there aren't any 'off' flavors here. Also it's not overly sweet by any stretch of the imagination which other than maybe Schiltz 60's formula makes this the only macro I've had that wasn't super sweet. It still is what it is though, corn water.

M - Mouthfeel is the usual crisp, watery self but because it's not sweet or syrupy it comes across as rather refreshing.

O - Overall...what the hell is going on? This really is shockingly good. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to IPAs or any other style for that matter but this is like comparing a junkyard beater to a nice car on the lot. Sure, the lot car is going to be a hell of a lot nicer but they both get you from point A to point B. And unlike other junkyard cars (macro BMC lagers) this one, for what it is, actually isn't half bad. Certainly would not be my beer of choice if offered just about any craft beer, however, I would take this over any other adjunct lager or macro beer out there. Maybe I got lucky and got a good can of it but man, reviewing based totally on the style, this is leaps and bounds ahead of all the others. My world is shook.

Serving Type: Can
Aug 19, 2017
Reviewed by Franderosa from Massachusetts

4.03/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4
OK...I get it. Not everyone is, or has been flocking to consume this beer. However, for those thousands of semi-disillusioned drinkers of standard "go to beers", (i.e. Bud heavy, Bud light, Coors Light, Miller, Corona, etc.), this is an excellent "go to beer" that I have enjoyed for about 30 years or so. [Sidebar - It was great in a bottle; wish it was available on draft!] There is a reason why this beer has endured for so long. Not many even know of its existence, (due to lack of major marketing efforts), but thanks to word of mouth, beer drinkers are pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely LOVE and support the top-end beers with all the bells & whistles, but this beer (for the price and taste), ain't all that bad. Just sayin'!
Jul 15, 2017

Rated: 3.07 by Rhettroactive from Virginia

Jun 04, 2017

Rated: 2.5 by waddellc2 from Pennsylvania

Feb 27, 2017
Reviewed by Raime from Korea (North)

2.78/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75
Same place I got the other few. Dented can for $1. Never knew Coors brewed another lager and to be quite honest I don't expect much out of this one at all.

Pours the typical dehydrated urine yellow with a large bone white head that sticks around for an eternity leaving crater upon crater in the glass.

Smells like Coors banquet though there is something rather..papery about this one.

Follows the typical AAL suit though there is a touch of wheat which makes it a bit better until that odd wet papery flavors comes through.

Feel is light bodied with a boat load of carbonation. Swallows easy and the wheaty aspect becomes a bit more prominent as it sits around the mouth.

Overall just another generic AAL. The wheat would have made it above average had the paper not been a throw off in the flavor and nose. Oh well. Worth a dollar. Random gas station brews are all gone, time to kill these last four Dorados.
Feb 16, 2017

Rated: 3.34 by ianmm91 from Pennsylvania

Jan 14, 2017

Rated: 1.05 by JLK7299 from North Carolina

Dec 20, 2016

Rated: 2.55 by MammothTarantula from Colorado

Nov 14, 2016
Coors Extra Gold from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 62 out of 100 with 329 ratings