Blue Moon White IPA | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon White IPABlue Moon White IPA
3.38/5
Okay
Blue Moon White IPABlue Moon White IPA

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American IPA

A crisp, refreshing White IPA crafted with four varieties of hops, wheat, coriander, and a hint of orange peel.

For our unfiltered White IPA, we complimented the citrus hop character with wheat and a hint of orange peel. Then we dry-hopped it with Cascade, Citra, and Huell Melon hops for a bright hop aroma that creates a balanced IPA.

Added by Pantalones on 03-05-2015

Reviews by emwild12:
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, one of those easy choices for we Canucks in making a grocery store mixed-sixer south o' the border. Might this be the first IPA produced by Coors?

This beer pours a hazy, yet bright medium golden yellow colour, with four fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and kind of fizzy dirty white head, which leaves some splattered sudsy lace around the glass as it lazily recedes.

It smells of musty orange and white grapefruit rind, grainy wheat malt, muddled spices that may or may not be inclusive of coriander and rainbow peppercorns, lightly phenolic yeast, and tame earthy, herbal, and leafy hop bitters. The taste is bready, crackery pale and wheat malt, generic, but still zesty citrus pith, a waning, sure, coriander and white pepper spice, edgy, but not over the top yeast, and more simple, but effective leafy, herbal, and faintly grassy hops.

The bubbles are adequate in their quotidian, sub-committee support, with maybe a little frothy fun tossed in to keep the kids happy, the body a decent middleweight for the style, and mostly smooth, the malt having more say here, to our collective benefit. It finishes off-dry, the increasingly doughy wheatiness contending with a resurgent coriander spice and orange peel acerbity.

Well, give credit where credit is due, call a spade a spade, and all that - this is actually a pretty good rendition of the particular IPA sub-style - no off-flavours, well malted, with an understated yeast, strangely deft spice application, and a hoppiness, that for the brewer, simply cannot be denied. Ok, now for the last of the backhanded compliments - this is way better than a whole host of poorly rendered craft, ahem, 'White IPAs' that I have had the displeasure of slogging through. Yeah, that.

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to tulip glass.

The color is on the pale side of orange-gold. Inch or so of creamy head that dissipates into so-so lacing. Head retention is okay. Very murky, as expected.

Yeast and hops smells are about 50/50, with some white bread as well. A little bit spicy, maybe coriander. Hops are pretty subdued by IPA standards. It a pretty general "hoppy" smell with no true distinction, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say there are slight hints of citrus and floral.

Tastes pretty so-so. The yeast is somewhat spicy and adds an umami quality to the beer, which I'm not quite sure I enjoy. The hops really take a backseat to the sweeter malt flavors and spices, which is a real shame. I don't get much more than a vague flowery taste from the hops, but the bitterness is enough that it cuts a lot of the sweeter flavors and prevents this from being a sugar bomb. This beer is at least more strongly hopped than a lot of Blue Moon's offerings. That's still not saying too much, though.

Mouthfeel is about what I expected. It's pretty decent, not too heavy, but I don't think I could sit and pound these all night. Kind of leaves a thin foam on the tongue for a while after swallowing, though. Carbonation is average.

Overall, this is still a decent pick if you have to drink a Blue Moon offering and have soured on their flagship Belgian White. Don't get me wrong, I think this is fine, there's nothing offensive or gross about it, and it's still refreshing. Honestly, though, I wouldn't be doing this review if I hadn't bought a sampler for a get-together, so take that as you will. This is not for the hardcore hopheads or true connoisseurs, but I reckon most of you on this site would know that already. What this is is a decent, slightly above average party beer for those who can't deal with more intense offerings.

To good health and good beer.

4.02/5  rDev +18.9%

Blue Moon White IPA - Coors Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's head is two fingers thick and off white with lacing, and a body.

Smells like lively grains and brighter malts. I can only detect a small bit of hops just by the smell.

I taste really only a faint touch of hops, but also a nice, crisp malt backbone brought forth by the earthier malt selections used for this brew. Pretty well balanced.

Mouthfeel here is smooth and clean.

Overall, I'll give Blue Moon White IPA - Coors Brewing Company a 4. Not as pronounced in the hop division as anticipated, but still a worthy pour in the 2015 summer sampler pack.

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Freshness date of Sep 07 15:

Pours clouded golden with effervescent bubbles and a thin, lasting creamy white head. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of some bubblegum, a hint of coriander, wheat tang, a hint of orange peel and a hint of citric hops. Mild, but pleasant.

The taste is of the classic "Blue Moon" with a nice tough of citric hops that give balance to the wheat and graham-cracker-like sweetness. Crisp finish.

A light, refreshing brew with some white ale character and a touch of citric hops.

3.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You know, not actually terrible. More Belgian than ipa but it's trying to appeal to the masses so it's obviously going to be less flavorful. Wouldn't buy this myself, but it was left in the fridge, therefore I will drink it. You should take the same approach.

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked this out of a mix a six, blind choice. Didn't look for reviews, and I haven't read one yet.

So here we go.

Appearance : Generous and rocky 3 fingered head gives way to a single finger within a short time, underneath it is a gorgeous hazy apricot colored body. The body is 80% opaque and has just enough light passing through to make it glow like a lava lamp. Gorgeous.

Aroma : I have to say this is right on point. Yeasty wheat cultures rise up to the nose along with a proper piney bite from winter hops. It's perfectly balanced in the nose and it finishes off with perfectly balanced orange peel and coriander. It's like the cherry (or orange) on top. Everything compliments each other here and is fantastic.

Flavor : A yeasty zing attacks the palate with a fruity orange squish that for a split second makes me think of an orange flavored 7-Up. To keep within spec however the hop comes in and rips the soda flavor away (which would really deduct points if it stayed) with a piney bite. Bready notes tail and it ends with lots of coriander and the ghosts of an orange peel. Very nice indeed. Subsequent drinks seem to be a bit more watered down but still somewhat delicious.

Mouthfeel : Sunny, light bodied, sharply carbonated and ends wet. A fair mouthfeel.

Overall : While not the best White IPA it certainly surpassed my expectations for being a Blue Moon. It's a good Belgian IPA with lots of good flavor. Prosit!

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle at Mike's house last night.
Light golden color with a bubbly white head. Light pilsener maltiness with some earthy hops and odd spicy notes to counter. Light metallic flavor a bit off putting.

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

On-tap this pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a thick white head. The taste is bitter with a weird flavor. Finishes very dry with a touch of pine flavor.

1.71/5  rDev -49.4%

Over-attenuated and dry beer. Suffering from absolutely no malt profile and nothing but long-boil bitterness of a virtually flavorless hop. Avoid this beer.

2.22/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours light golden with a very mild white foam head. Smell is citric. Taste is citric, bitter and astringent. Not well balanced to my taste. Overall a harsh IPA.

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A nice surprise. I find Blue Moons regular wit a bit dull. Nothing at all wrong with it, but there are more exciting versions out there. It pours and looks nearly identical to regular Blue Moon wheat but has a lovely aroma that I was not expecting. It's very hop forward when you think of a regular Blue Moon, but I think "IPA" is a stretch as a description. I really liked this and would buy it again no problem. I'm stunned by a lot of the negative reviews, I'm guessing there are a lot of raters out there putting politics ahead of their palates. Worth trying.

3.84/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Having my second bottle of this one tonight; best-by date of August 17th, 2015 on the bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

Looks similar to a regular Blue Moon, but with a few definite differences--the color is not quite as orange, more of a dark slightly-orangey yellow, and a much larger head (fluffy and just about white) forms when pouring and it hangs around much longer than with regular Blue Moon... and rather than fading away into nothing when it does shrink away, some hangs around on the surface for a while. Like a regular Blue Moon, it's got a very hazy/cloudy appearance to it, though I can see some little bubbles rising up from the bottom occasionally in this one.

As soon as I turned the twist-off cap on the first bottle, I could smell piney hops. My face was a bit further from the bottle upon opening this time, so I didn't notice that--but the smell is definitely mostly hops here. Piney and a bit citrusy, though I can also smell some bready sort of thing going on. Not as strong on the hop aromas as some of the other IPAs I've had, but still enough for the hops to be the primary smell.

Taste is piney and citrusy hops, with a wheaty/bready flavor similar to a regular Blue Moon coming in afterward. There's more bitterness than a standard Blue Moon, but it blends in with the hop flavors rather than coming across as a harsh "pure bitterness" at all. I don't get as much orange here compared to the regular Blue Moon, and the wheatiness actually seems to have been amped-up a bit to go along with the huge increase in hops, so I'm guessing the recipe here is a bit more complicated than just "Blue Moon Belgian White with a bucket of hops tossed in at the end." I'm also picking up an interesting spicy flavor this time that I don't think I noticed the first time I had one of these; the coriander maybe? I'm not sure if I've had coriander before so I'm not sure if that's what I'm tasting for sure, but there is definitely a spice-like flavor in there. I remember noticing another fruity hop flavor the first time I had one of these, something almost melon-like, but I'm not picking it up as much this time. It wasn't super strong then, so maybe my taste buds just felt like noticing the spice and pine/citrus more this time around and it's getting pushed into the background a bit. After drinking a bit of this, I'm noticing the hop flavors (and sometimes the spice, but usually the hops) lingering around in my mouth more and more, and I'm definitely tasting the hops (including a bit more fruitiness than I get when I drink some) when I burp. This may only be 45 IBUs, but it definitely has "IPA" traits despite being on the milder end in terms of bitterness.

Feel is similar to a regular Blue Moon, with a bit more fizziness going on (not too surprising considering how much more of a head formed when pouring compared to regular Blue Moon.) I'm not sure which of the two I prefer, but either way is pretty nice, and I'm able to drink through one of these pretty fast just like a regular Blue Moon.

Overall, this is actually pretty good. I figured it would be at least decent, but was expecting it to be closer to "Blue Moon with more hops," and wouldn't have minded much if that's all I got here (I do like both regular Blue Moon and hop flavors, after all)... and it turned out that there's actually more going on here than I had expected. Looks like I made a good choice when I picked this as the first new Blue Moon beer I've tried since September of last year!

2.44/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this at Buffalo Wild Wings in Council Bluffs, Iowa in a 3 ounce glass as a free sample last night with a friend on 8/20/15. Seen it on TV and thought I would give it a try since I am not a fan of IPA's but for a free sample why not. Bit too hoppy for the finish for me. Not a fan unlike most of their other brews from Blue Moon.

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy orange/copper color with a pretty darned good head on it. Aroma is of belgian yeast and surprisingly has a sweet, malty ring to its smell.

Hops ring out its clouded yet lazy flavor profile. Some yeast is present, as well as some pretty wimpy/hidden citrus flavors. Medicinal finish.

It's as mediocre as I expected it to be.

2.54/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I love blue moon but this beer wasn't anything special.
Looks: orange with a hint of whitey
Smell: Smell of fresh pine with a hint of orange peel, smells really good.
Taste: Was surprised how bad it was. Could be because it was a ipa, but my face after tasting, was that of biting into a mcdonalds fry that was salted till it tasted like the ocean. THIS BEER IS A NUP.
Feel: Feels like any other lager.
Overall: If you like Ipa's then you might enjoy this beer. Way too bitter for me.

3.27/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%

3.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can purchased as part of a summer sampler 12 pack. With, I suppose, best before dating on the bottom

Pours a pretty nice looking shade of dull ligher shade of tangerine under a respectable off light oatmeal head that stays a bit and then leaves thick ow sheeting.

Oranges, bananas and clementines is what the ole sniffer picks up...enticing

Palate is engulfed by fruity goodness , with more oranges, mango and pineapple.
Quite peasant stuff best one in the box, nice summery, wheaty, yeasty, fruity offering.....I would go for this one again....and again

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy yellow with a thin white head.

Smell: Hops and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of citrus and light hops.

Overall: Good IPA, I would have again if offered, but not going out of my way to buy it again.

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Think its a stretch to label this an ipa,but on the edge. But this beer has summer written all over. Has the hint of orange that blue moon is known for. Bitterness is light and certainly a very session-able ipa. Certainly better tasting than the majority of session ipas.

Blue Moon White IPA from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)