Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout | Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
coors.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our limited release stout is brewed with cocoa then a rich blend of decaf coffee is added for a fresh roasted coffee taste and a subtly sweet finish.

Added by superspak on 07-21-2015

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%

If you like coffee and espresso store this is a great drink. The cappuccino is hold while the oatmeal is mild. Easy to consume without food. With food, it would need to be sweets.
Full bodied but not filling. Was really impressed for being a blue moon.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It actually tastes like cappuccino at first with a stout aftertaste. Very nice.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

Not bad, but not sure I could have more than one. I really get the coffee flavor coming through. Color is good, but the head disappeared quickly and there seems to be no lacing at all. All in all, it's okay, but I've had much better stouts.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In the Law of Unintended Consequences, The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody is enabling me to conduct a buncha brewery horizontals (same brewery, different beers) & today are Blue Moon offerings! This will be my penultimate for this horizontal.

From the bottle: "Brewed with Decaf Coffee & Oats for a Creamy Mouthfeel".

Grrr. My patience runs thin with these screwed-up screw-top bottles! The only thing that makes drinking a beer from a bottle as opposed to a CAN is performing the Pop! of the cap & I was being cheated of even that. My anger manifested itself in the in-glass swirl which created two fingers of foamy, rocky, light-tan head that resembled the foam in the cup on the label.

Man, I remember getting turned onto cappuccino during a deployment to La Maddalena, Sardinia in 1985. That, the little, short stogies called "Guinea Stinkers" & bocce. I used to play every Sunday that I had off under the tutelage of Giuseppe, a native who saw me at an outdoor café & took me under his wing. When everybody else was drunk & hung over on Monday, I was simply jazzed up on caffeine, tobacco & the wad of Lira in my pocket from winning. He was a Zen master at bocce & I still use his strategy when invited to play. But, as usual, I digress ...

Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a sharpness that I may or may not have identified on my own as coffee, but it was definitely pungent. Mouthfeel was a bit thin & watery for a Stout, plus I was not getting the creaminess that the oatmeal was supposed to impart. The taste had a coffee-like bitterness, but it felt somehow muted, perhaps by the oats, perhaps by the malts. I just felt like it needed to be amped up, even by just a little bit. Finish was dry, definitely not a Sweet Stout. It was a decent enough drink, but it really did not make me think that it was cappuccino. YMMV.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Looks like root beer gone flat. There was a nice initial head of tight small Brown bubbles but they disappear immediately with no lacing. Smell had some chocolate and nice coffee. Taste was a Huge and pleasant surprise. Smooth cocoa coffee chocolate vanilla and maybe a little sweet... root beer... on the back. Felt pretty thin especially for a stout. Will drink again. 12 pack of bottles was a steal at local shop which led me to expect little. Not exactly a creamy stout but the taste was definitely good on my palate.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.09/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2.04/5  rDev -43.3%

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Dark brown almost opaque, 1/2 inch khaki head that dissipates quickly, no lacing to speak of

S: Coffee, chocolate

T: Sweet, I get the coffee and chocolate, no hops

M: Medium to Heavy

O: I usually dont like Blue Moon other than the original Belgian White but they have made a few here lately that I am digging. This is a nice coffee stout that is not setting the world on fire but is a decent craft offering. Kudos to them for branching out and doing a good job!

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Pretty good I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Picked up a 12-pack at the convenience store next door because I didn't feel like driving for some beer. I wasn't expecting much considering it's blue moon but a coffee oatmeal stout sounded perfect so fuck it right?

This beer has impressive coffee and vanilla notes that do a good job as coming off balanced and natural. If the selection you're presented is lackluster grab this for sure!

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%