Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal StoutBlue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
3.61/5
Good
Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal StoutBlue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: English Oatmeal Stout

Our limited release stout is brewed with cocoa then a rich blend of decaf coffee is added for a fresh roasted coffee taste and a subtly sweet finish.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 338
3.39/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown with a near non existant mocha head. Lots of carbonation.
Nice smell of sweet carmel malt, slight carmel and vanilla.
Very sweet taste. Carmel malt, slight baker's chocolate. Very slight bitterness.
Feel. Thin, over carbonated.
Much better than anticipating.

4.67/5  rDev +29.4%

If you like coffee and espresso store this is a great drink. The cappuccino is hold while the oatmeal is mild. Easy to consume without food. With food, it would need to be sweets.
Full bodied but not filling. Was really impressed for being a blue moon.

3.01/5  rDev -16.6%

Not bad, but not sure I could have more than one. I really get the coffee flavor coming through. Color is good, but the head disappeared quickly and there seems to be no lacing at all. All in all, it's okay, but I've had much better stouts.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In the Law of Unintended Consequences, The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody is enabling me to conduct a buncha brewery horizontals (same brewery, different beers) & today are Blue Moon offerings! This will be my penultimate for this horizontal.

From the bottle: "Brewed with Decaf Coffee & Oats for a Creamy Mouthfeel".

Grrr. My patience runs thin with these screwed-up screw-top bottles! The only thing that makes drinking a beer from a bottle as opposed to a CAN is performing the Pop! of the cap & I was being cheated of even that. My anger manifested itself in the in-glass swirl which created two fingers of foamy, rocky, light-tan head that resembled the foam in the cup on the label.

Man, I remember getting turned onto cappuccino during a deployment to La Maddalena, Sardinia in 1985. That, the little, short stogies called "Guinea Stinkers" & bocce. I used to play every Sunday that I had off under the tutelage of Giuseppe, a native who saw me at an outdoor café & took me under his wing. When everybody else was drunk & hung over on Monday, I was simply jazzed up on caffeine, tobacco & the wad of Lira in my pocket from winning. He was a Zen master at bocce & I still use his strategy when invited to play. But, as usual, I digress ...

Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a sharpness that I may or may not have identified on my own as coffee, but it was definitely pungent. Mouthfeel was a bit thin & watery for a Stout, plus I was not getting the creaminess that the oatmeal was supposed to impart. The taste had a coffee-like bitterness, but it felt somehow muted, perhaps by the oats, perhaps by the malts. I just felt like it needed to be amped up, even by just a little bit. Finish was dry, definitely not a Sweet Stout. It was a decent enough drink, but it really did not make me think that it was cappuccino. YMMV.

3.87/5  rDev +7.2%

Looks like root beer gone flat. There was a nice initial head of tight small Brown bubbles but they disappear immediately with no lacing. Smell had some chocolate and nice coffee. Taste was a Huge and pleasant surprise. Smooth cocoa coffee chocolate vanilla and maybe a little sweet... root beer... on the back. Felt pretty thin especially for a stout. Will drink again. 12 pack of bottles was a steal at local shop which led me to expect little. Not exactly a creamy stout but the taste was definitely good on my palate.

3.97/5  rDev +10%

A: Dark brown almost opaque, 1/2 inch khaki head that dissipates quickly, no lacing to speak of

S: Coffee, chocolate

T: Sweet, I get the coffee and chocolate, no hops

M: Medium to Heavy

O: I usually dont like Blue Moon other than the original Belgian White but they have made a few here lately that I am digging. This is a nice coffee stout that is not setting the world on fire but is a decent craft offering. Kudos to them for branching out and doing a good job!

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pretty good I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Picked up a 12-pack at the convenience store next door because I didn't feel like driving for some beer. I wasn't expecting much considering it's blue moon but a coffee oatmeal stout sounded perfect so fuck it right?

This beer has impressive coffee and vanilla notes that do a good job as coming off balanced and natural. If the selection you're presented is lackluster grab this for sure!

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in a Belgian snifter.
Very dark brown body, opaque in the glass, with a thin tan head that has surprising retention.

The aroma is mild, with coffee and chocolate mixed in with dark roasted grains; hints of toffee.

Flavor: mild, as expected from Blue Moon. Slightly more bitter than sweet, this could pass for a milk stout. A bit less dark roasted malt flavor, and flavor altogether, than I'd prefer.

Overall: A recommended coffee stout given the rarity of decaf coffee use in ales.

4.56/5  rDev +26.3%

I happen to love this.
Then again I don't consume brew constantly. But this could be a daily brew for me if I chose to but lucky its a winter beer.

4.58/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It smells just like cappuccino oatmeal would smell like which is delicious, tastes just like it too for the most part if you poured beer instead of milk into it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours a murky brown with a one finger lasting tan head. Aroma of roasted malt and a bit of cocoa. Taste is dominated by creamy malt with some caramel, coffee, and vanilla. Overall, it has the smoothish quality characteristic of an oatmeal stout, but compared to others in this class (e.g., Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout is my favorite) this Blue Moon felt "hollow".

3.25/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours much lighter than most stouts with thin lacing that quickly fades. The taste is non-objectionable but not very interesting. Light on the coffee, light on the chocolate, no reason to seek this out.

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Most craft beer drinker's, from what I gather, would rather drink donkey piss than actually give the macro brewers a shot. Fortunatetly for me, though I consider myself a half-decent craft beer drinker, will every now-and-then partake from the "evil big guys."

I have enjoyed quite a few Blue Moon's in my time, but this one was a mixed bagged. On the one hand, it had a great dark stout look with a head that poured out thick - but then dissipated faster than someone throwing out yesterday's newspaper. (Oh, and no lacing to speak of.) Nonetheless, it did have the strong, very strong cappucinno scent (maybe not as strong as a real cappucino, but strong enough) which blended really well with the standard stout notes I could discern. The feel was light-bodied and very carbonated - none of the creaminess they tout on the bottle I could tell. Tastewise...I liked it. Maybe it's my Cuban upbringing, but it has a nice espresso flavor adding to the tangyness of the stout - it made for a good mix, in my opinion. Overall, it's not a great beer, but as a present from my daughter who is slowly getting into this craft beer craze, it sure hit the mark. (Now all I gotta do is introduce her to some other brewers, and I think she'll be okay...)

3.39/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark, reddish-brown body; foamy, light tan head. Fair roasted grain aroma; shallow vanilla notes. Vanilla and cocoa flavors; some biting, somewhat harsh bitterness. Medium-heavy in body; fizzy.

Not bad overall. Some decent roasted and cocoa notes. No perceivable coffee quality except for a mild coffee ground presence. Fair yet forgettable...

Blue Moon cappuccino oatmeal stout.

Blue moon is that big beer that wants you to think it's a craft beer. It is , sorry , not sorry . In lieu of this by no means am I insinuating Blue Moon is bad. It's just not for me . However their seasonal batches always exceed my expectations. Such is the case with their cappuccino oatmeal stout. This is a creamy beer with a bitter finish . The chocolate nodes really shine when its drank cold in a glass.There is almost no head when poured correctly. The oatmeal stands out the more you sip and definitely give it it's rich smoothness.
The coffee really makes it stand out . I don't believe this can work with things other than stouts ,it's rich and very dark brown in color hut still clear. This beer is sweet but that bitter after taste balances the palette. At 5.9% ABV this beer is definitely a 7.5 out of 10

3.02/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into a tulip appears dark brown in color with a light khaki head that fades quick leaving a thin line of head around the perimeter.

Aroma has a fruited quality about it with faint stale coffee and chocolate. Some earthiness and roast.

Tastes fruity like raison and cola with stale coffee and sweet oats. This feels like a weird version of hard cola or rootbeer moreso than beer.

Medium in body with modest carbonation, its average. Smell is the best part of it.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very dark brown with a two finger tan head that fades quickly to a ring. Not much for lacing. The beer smells very malty and grainy. I do get some mocha and coffee notes. The flavor has a nice balance of bitter to sweet and the coffee, oatmeal. and chocolate notes come out pretty well. The feel is a little below average carbonation, very dry, and medium thin body. Overall, a decent beer, especially for the price.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A really good stout! A smell and taste of coffee that is not overpowering. A good deep coffee smell. Not overly carbonated with a smooth swallow and little to no aftertaste. Overall I like it better than Founders breakfast stout.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz 2016 bottle.

A: Pours medium dark brown with light showing through the edges and a quickly fading off white head.

S: Coffee and bready malts, faint spice from the coffee and caramel sweetness, faint chocolate and roast characters.

T: Earthy coffee, some espresso bitterness, bready malts, some caramel sweetness. Again, roast and toasted malt characters are faint.

MF: Medium body with medium carbonation. Balanced bitterness and sweetness.

O: This is an ok beer and drinks easily for a coffee brew. There are better options out there with more fresh coffee and stout character than this beer, this tastes and feels more like a brown ale.

3.71/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It pours a nice dark brown with a small tan head that lasted to almost the end. I could smell a little vanilla while still in bottle but once poured the coffee smell took over. Taste is a nice coffee flavor, mouthful is medium body. Overall a nice drink to enjoy with pizza ( like I just did.)

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear, almost opaque very dark cola brown (approaching black) in color with a moderate amount of active visible carbonation rising along the edges of the glass and a faint amount of mahogany colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy tan head that quickly reduces to a medium sized patch of thin film surrounded by a large patch of very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Just shy of moderate aromas of lightly roasted, freshly brewed coffee with a light aroma of cocoa and a light aroma of roasted malts.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of roasted malts with a slightly stronger than moderate flavors of freshly brewed light roast coffee and a hint of toasted oats. That is followed by light to moderate flavors of cocoa and a hint of lactose sweetness. Light amounts of roasty bitterness in the finish but it does not linger for long.

M: Slightly lighter than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Not nearly as bad as I expected, a decent concept from the flavor/aroma perspective but a little thin in the mouthfeel (lacks the hint of creaminess I expect in an oatmeal stout). Interesting choice to use decaf coffee.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of strong black coffee. Taste is coffee, roasted malts, some cocoa is present. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall, despite not getting any oats in the aroma or flavor it's a pretty good beer.

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow! This one actually looks like a stout, and a great one at that! Pure black, with a one finger tan head. Classic appearance, but I'm surprised as this has to be the darkest thing I have seen Blue Moon put out. It even smells as advertised! Huge notes of roasted espresso and coffee goodness dominate the aroma, with a slight milky sweetness apparent in the background. Taste follows the nose perfectly, and actually tastes like a sweet espresso drink. Medium body with a silky smoothness that brings it all together, and makes this honestly one of the best coffee stouts under 10% I've ever had. People will hate this anyway just because it's Blue Moon, but this is an absolutely phenomenal beer!

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Hannaford
Dark ruby brown with a bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly. Cocoa and light coffee on the nose with bits of earth fruit and bread. The flavor is what the aroma promised. Pretty decent beer, but I would have loved a bit more sweetness and or body in this.

4.8/5  rDev +33%

Love love this beer. My go to beer is Guinness. Strong coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate. It's lighter feel then a stout but diffentenly drinkable

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)