Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout | Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
coors.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our limited release stout is brewed with cocoa then a rich blend of decaf coffee is added for a fresh roasted coffee taste and a subtly sweet finish.

Added by superspak on 07-21-2015

Reviews by Icemann383:

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep dark brown with hazelnut lit sides and bottom. 80% opaque. The head is so tight and creamy, it actually looks like cappuccino froth!

Aroma of fresh ground coffee beans, and whole beans, milk chocolate, lactose, and oats. Right on point.

The flavor is dark wheat and coffee, with notes of caramel, cocoa, and espresso bean. It's not extremely loud or complex, but it's easy and drinkable. On point.

Feel is light and buttery, slightly creamy, and roasty on the finish.

Overall, if this were a dog by any other name, people would be raving about it. This is a fabulous, sessionable oatmeal-coffee-milk stout that does perfect on those chilly nights. Just simply delicious.

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not as bad as some have rated. Not as good as others. It's weaker points are thinner, watery mouthfeel and a weak smell- hard to pull anything "robust" out of the nose.. The strengths- smooth taste, subtle hints of chocolate, coffee and oats. Easily quaffible..

I get the same "feel" from this beer as I do Stone's Coffee Milk Stout. It's a good beer. Not close to great/excellent.. But good and solid. You can certainly do much better, but you could also have worse..

Overall- I'd drink it again...

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Blue Moon Brewing Co. "Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "APR2417" and sampled on JAN0517
$2 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout? Interesting. Let's analyze it based on that... Cappuccino is a double espresso with hot milk and milk foam added. It can also be made with cream instead of milk, and flavored with cinnamon or cocoa. I guess we can forget about the foam because that's just for show and mouthfeel, or is there something about the foam on the beer? No, just regular short-lived head and average lacing.

So we're looking for a densely rich coffee flavor with a milky or creamy side. There is a bit of an espresso aroma to it, I'll give it that. It's not nearly as rich as it could be, and to be honest it doesn't really smell like a "coffee beer" to me, the coffee aroma that it offers could be found in other non-coffee stouts as well.

Let's move on to the flavor. Oatmeal can be used for body and a silky mouthfeel, or it can be used for flavor (as in Bell's Oatsmobile Ale). I don't find any oatmeal flavor, at least not enough to validate it on that point, but it does have that silkiness that oatmeal imparts; and that works with the idea of the kind of oily & creamy cappuccino so maybe they're onto something here... ? I get an awful lot of fruitiness out of it though, and a good deal of sweet dark chocolate. If you've added a whole lot of sugar to your cappuccino I could see the sweetness, but it still lacks the richness of the dense coffee; and although there is a distinct fruitiness to some coffees I don't think that this matches up - I find it a little bit like dark fruit, and a little bit like sweet red fruit - it's nice, but just not right. Cocoa? Yes, it's got that, so if they were going for a cocoa variation of cappuccino they've got that covered.

So we've covered cappuccino and oatmeal, stout is the only term remaining to go over. As noted, there is some coffee flavor, but it's more like a coffee-flavored candy than the coffee flavor that you find in a stout. That's OK though, but it's not particularly roasty either. I guess that's OK too. It's a stout, no one would argue that, and it's an oatmeal stout as well so we've got to go back to the term "cappuccino". I think that's a little gimmicky, and that they were just trying to make their beer stand out from the crowd, not really caring whether it tastes like a cappuccino or not, just not wanting to label it with the more commonly used "coffee".

In conclusion it's an acceptable oatmeal stout with a sweet edge and limited roastiness, although it still remains balanced in the end (stout fans will probably be disappointed). It's fruity, and cocoaish, with some dark chocolate notes as well, and a limited dose of candy-like coffee flavor (I should note at this point that it's made with actual coffee, not coffee flavoring). The body is medium-light, and it could be creamier to match its name, but it is quite smooth which is nice. I think it would make a great dessert beer as its got such a sweetness to it, but I could also see having one on its own.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of strong black coffee. Taste is coffee, roasted malts, some cocoa is present. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall, despite not getting any oats in the aroma or flavor it's a pretty good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

I poured this beer from the bottle into a clear 12 oz. beer glass. The wonderful cappuccino beer smell hit me immediately. It pours a brownish red with a nice amber head. I'd say that it's medium bodied, not too chewy. The taste Is very good. I really like this beer.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It pours a nice dark brown with a small tan head that lasted to almost the end. I could smell a little vanilla while still in bottle but once poured the coffee smell took over. Taste is a nice coffee flavor, mouthful is medium body. Overall a nice drink to enjoy with pizza ( like I just did.)

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

This beer pours a dark black with a very nice foamy head. A picturesque stout. The disappointment started at the nose; I expected cappuccino or at least some hints of coffee. Unfortunately, I felt that this beer feel short in this regard.

As far as the taste goes, this beer did not deliver for me. I was expecting richness and heartiness and it was more flat and (I hate to say it) "commercial" tasting. It seemed to be a little conservative.

This beer was exceptionally smooth for a stout and I find it to be sessionable.

Overall, I feel this beer fell short comparatively in a very competitive category of beer. Having sampled so many phenomenal coffee/cappuccino stouts recently, this one just does not compare.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

Looks: Pouts a jet black liquid featuring a lightly creme colored head, which leaves behind a little lace. The only lacking element here is the bold head that usually accompanies a similar world-class stout.

Smell: the aroma brings in malts with a tiny bit of coffee.

Taste: a sip immediately brings a robust, flavorful burst of oatmeal, which later makes way for cappuccino. Almost as if you took a bite of oatmeal and washed it down with a sip of the espresso based drink - cappuccino. Rather great taste. I certainly didn't expect it to have this much of a cappuccino flavor. I was expecting more of a coffee flavor. Great taste.

Feel: Pretty darn good mouth feel. Smooth and robust, albeit not the easiest to drink.

Overall: This beer has impressed me quite a bit. It certainly is worth picking up for those who love coffee or dark beers. Each sip brings in a unique flavoring that I have not experienced in a beer until this point. I will certainly be returning to this beverage at some point.

Served in a 12oz snifter. Also worth noting, I adore coffee and most anything coffee flavored.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Serving - 12 oz. bottle
Glass - Nonic pint
Look - Vigorous pour gives way to a foamy head, light brown in color. Body of beer is cola like.
Smell - No roast to speak of. Nesquick and faint whiff of coffee. Decaf? Really?
Taste - Again, Nesquick and a bit of coffee goodness. Powedered chocolate aftertaste. Sweetness, perhaps from chocolate and oatmeal.
Feel - Carbonated lightly. Faint creaminess from the oatmeal. Very light in feel for a stout.
Overall - I am a fan of this style of beer, and I was hoping for more from the beer and Blue Moon. It's average. It's drinkable. It's just not something I would go out of my way to pick it up. They could have hit a home run with this. I wanted to love it, but it wound up a like. I am so glad I tried it. I will try more of their takes on styles of beer.

4.36/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow! This one actually looks like a stout, and a great one at that! Pure black, with a one finger tan head. Classic appearance, but I'm surprised as this has to be the darkest thing I have seen Blue Moon put out. It even smells as advertised! Huge notes of roasted espresso and coffee goodness dominate the aroma, with a slight milky sweetness apparent in the background. Taste follows the nose perfectly, and actually tastes like a sweet espresso drink. Medium body with a silky smoothness that brings it all together, and makes this honestly one of the best coffee stouts under 10% I've ever had. People will hate this anyway just because it's Blue Moon, but this is an absolutely phenomenal beer!

4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

Love love this beer. My go to beer is Guinness. Strong coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate. It's lighter feel then a stout but diffentenly drinkable

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours dark brown in color, opaque, with 1/4 inch head. Taste is oatmeal, chocolate, molasses, caramel, and coffee. The coffee flavors blend with the other sweet flavors and never dominate. Medium-heavy bodied, sweet, and roasty. Tasty and complex oatmeal stout. I would get this one again.

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark brown colour. Smells dark malts, raisin, roasty grains, coffee, and slightly sweet. Tastes very carbonated, strong cappuccino flavour, chocolate malts, and a little bit of bitterness, with dry finish.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The taste of Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout is very much reminiscent of over-roasted or even burnt coffee. Very hard to get past at first.

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in a Belgian snifter.
Very dark brown body, opaque in the glass, with a thin tan head that has surprising retention.

The aroma is mild, with coffee and chocolate mixed in with dark roasted grains; hints of toffee.

Flavor: mild, as expected from Blue Moon. Slightly more bitter than sweet, this could pass for a milk stout. A bit less dark roasted malt flavor, and flavor altogether, than I'd prefer.

Overall: A recommended coffee stout given the rarity of decaf coffee use in ales.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%