Keystone Premium | Coors Brewing Company

coors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

4.55/5  rDev +148.6%

I am one of the very few that prefer the malty taste of this beer.
The can is not very appealing, But I like it, And the smell is not as prominent as other coors made beers. That is why the taste is perfect for me. It is a lager, but you don't smell the hops as strong as you think you would. The taste is smooth, is has somewhat of a thicker feel when in your mouth, But not as thick as your traditional lager. And I don't feel horrible the next day, Because of all these things, This is my most prefered drink. The problem is, I can't seem to find it anywhere near me because other people don't seem to appreciate the taste as much as I do.

Surprisingly i was able to find this. I had never had regular keystone heavy, so i tried it. Not bad. Relatively Average. It's good. Average beer for low price.

3.75/5  rDev +104.9%

Keystone Premium brewed by Coors Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.40% Also known as Keystone RED. This brew pours out a nice light amber color with a smell white head. The smell is nice with some grains and hops at the end. This brew has look and smell of most American Adjunct Lagers on the market. The taste is ok you pick up on the grains. the mouthfeel is smooth with no bad after taste. Keystone is a little light for being premium. Overall I'm giving Keystone Premium a 4 out 5. This is a nice drinking brew I would get this brew again.

3.5/5  rDev +91.3%

3.5/5  rDev +91.3%

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

From the can marked MAR0110-A10062217. It had the typical pale yellow, overzealous but short-lived fizzy white head that you get in an American Adjunct Lager. The aroma is corny with a hint of malts. The mouthfeel is watered down. The taste is smooth enough for an adjunct lager with that corn and weak barley notes that accompany it. Believe it or not it almost ends dry. I can get through the can in about two minutes. There's nothing to love here but it is not as distasteful as some.

3.17/5  rDev +73.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and grains. Taste is crisp, some corn, just a hint of hops. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable, great for beer games. Overall this is about your typical adjunct lager.

3.09/5  rDev +68.9%

16 oz tallboy can with a freshness stamp of MAR1510 on the bottom. Pours a very pale, clear yellow color with an airy white foam that fades in a matter of seconds to nothingness. Even for an AAL, this one does not look great.

Nose is light grains, cereal and a bit of sugary sweetness. Surprisingly, a bit of hops are present. Very light nose overall, but nothing unappealing or sour; pretty neutral.

Taste is most akin to watery, spent grains. Tastes kind of like corn Chex cereal. Carbonated water and a breath of alcohol pretty much completes the flavor profile. Body is about medium for the style and carbonation is high. Touch of bittering hops in the finish, and I mean the faintest of touches. This is not too shabby of a bargain AAL, goes down smooth and easy...quenches the thirst alright. Decent golf beer.

3.02/5  rDev +65%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev +62.8%

poured a pale yellow color with a large white puffy head. Smell is virtually non-existent with only a slight sweetness. Tste is minimal but at least not bad. Leaves little if any aftertaste but at least it is refreshing. Good lawnmower or spacer beer, but not much else.

2.9/5  rDev +58.5%

Grabbed a 30 for about $12 during a recent trip to PA.

A: Foamy 2 finger tall head, short lived. Clear golden-yellow color

S: Very faint, watery-corn/cereal grain

T: Cereal grain taste, neither pleasant or unpleasant. No foul aftertaste

M: Crisp, carbonated, not at all bitter

D: Very drinkable, I can easily drink about a 12 pack in one night.

Overall, great party beer; this and Natty Boh tie for my favorite cheap "party" macros.

2.88/5  rDev +57.4%

This is the first of my series of reviews on cheap beer for an eveining :)

A- This pours a dry grassy color, and is very clear. The carbonation is very noticeable...there's many columns of big bubbles rising to the top. The foam head actually surprised me, starting out rather thick and foamy, but quickly disappeared into a thin film. There is some mild lacing that clings to my glass. Not the worst buck 'o beer that I've seen.

S- Very mild aromas, primarily of dusty grains, some slight metallic notes(not overpowering), and boiled rice. I wouldn't necessarily agree that this has a solvent aroma but there is some astringent tones that aren't really offensive, but they are there. Just underwhelming overall.

T- More of the same here, but what do you expect for $1/beer? Adjunct laden, with more noticeable metallic flavors, and also mixed into this is more dusty grains....primarily bland white rice and some corn. The sweetness isn't really balanced out well, but there is a very faint bitterness on the finish. The lingering flavors are really just more sweetness.

M- Thin and watery body, with the expected palate scrubbing carbonation. Nothing else to really report....just sweet, malty and smooth.

D- The beer is easy enough to drink and isn't the worst beer I've had....if I'm looking for cheap brew, I'll probably look at getting this again and I know that this would satisfy any beer drinker. The alcohol is well hidden due to the sweetness and this would be, as most cheap beers, a great chugger. I'm sure there's better but there's certainly worse!

2.8/5  rDev +53%

It depend's on when you drink this beer. I done it when I've been at a party and it tasted like Wissel Pis-! Yet, I've been working ink over a hundred degree weather and it tasted like a gold medal winner. So, like most high production beer, it depends on the evirorment when drinking the brew. In fact, any brew.

2.76/5  rDev +50.8%

I haven't seen the Premium(they dropped Premium and is just called Keystone now) around for years. I thought maybe it was discontinued.

It pours the typical for the style...a straw yellow, with a decent head of foam at first that shrinks quickly.

The smell is of grain and corn that blends in well and is indistinguishable from just about every other AAL.

The taste is sweetish, slight grain, more of a corn flavour. Smooth, as per the can's label, yeah. So smooth, it's nearly putting me to sleep. Still, it's better than some of it brethren in the style. I got exactly what I paid for.

2.76/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev +50.3%

2.6/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Like the Keystone Ice, I have never seen this one on the shelves anywhere around here. Not a big deal though, because it is nothing spectacular. Just a plain old cheap beer. Just like all the rest really, although it does have a better taste than Bud or Coors.

2.58/5  rDev +41%

Keystone Premium has a very thick, quickly-dissipating, stark-white head and a pale straw appearance with a few bubbles streaming up and no lacing. The aroma is faint, to be sure, but a light grain and sweet smell can be detected with a deep inhalation. Taste is quite watery, but a tiny amount of grains, sweetness, and hop bitterness can be picked up with some patience. Mouthfeel is very watery, and Keystone Premium finishes crisp, refreshing (much like water), and dry. Overall, this is a low average offering from Molson-Coors. I can see why it's not widely available. It's tolerable.

RJT

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Forgot my wallet after taking in my empties so my options were limited to say the least.

Funny, because it looked really pale in the kitchen, yet more of a traditional amber yellow in the next level of my 4 level split. Fizzy carbonation bubbles yielded a totally so-so head. Not much in the way of lacing, a few dots of foam here and there on the sides of the glass

Can I use the term adjunct lager aroma. Very grainy with almost a hint of some sort of solvent. At least it didn't smell like cabbage.

Very watery & thin to start. Some faint sweetness and grainy malts follow. Finishes dry and somewhat tinny.

Very light in body for the 4.9% abv listed on the can ( obviously brewed in Canada by Molson)

@ $7.70/six I guess you can say you get what you pay for. IMO I would consider this a slightly souped up version, tastewise, of Coors light. Or in the ball park of a lot of the mexican lagers like Sol that are so popular.

Keystone Premium from Coors Brewing Company