Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Coors Winterfest | Coors Brewing Company

coors.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by maxpower on 11-16-2004

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a four finger cream head that fades quickly to a ring leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Slight malty nose. Starts with a slight sweetness, balanced with slight bitter finish, more like a brown. Far better than their lager. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

3.36/5  rDev 0%

Date on bottle says Jan 21, I assume that's the best by date so I'm a little late drinking this. Oh well, a few days shouldn't make much of a difference. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/amber color with about an inch off-white head. It smells like toasted malt and caramel, it's definitely a sweet smelling beer even though the aroma isn't very strong. It tastes the same way to me, but there's a nutty taste too. Mouthfeel is light, but it finishes clean. Drinkability is good, I could drink it now and again. Overall, I think it's a decent beer. Not great, but good.

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

These have been around for awhile. Looks decent, a darker red and auburn appearance, so dark makes you suspect like Coors would put that much malt in a beer, but yeah. Aroma is the typical red malt blend of crisp cedar and peat moss. Totally lacking hop aroma.

Totally lacking hop aroma, lots of carbonation, caramel type of off flavor, I dunno what its all about, but its kind of a sweet sour bitter funk. These seem to have alcohol pretty evident. In a way, this at least met my expectations, I'm not a Coors guy, nor am I a 'winter' warmer/red beer guy, nor am I a red beer guy but under circumstances making the beer more like another style than a red itself (hoppy/wild).

Not terrible, just not impressive, but malty enough to warrant its existence beyond regular Coors.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

2.99 a sixer, clearance. Good damn deal.

Pretty pour. Crisp red with a nice head and good lacing.

Smells like a cross between a solid marzen--chocolate and caramel--and a solid warmer--a different chocolate and caramel.

Tastes very much like it smells. Dry and very sweet upfront, fading into a warm chocolate spice, ending on a crisp, light hop. Wow. No macro aftertaste or nothing!

Unlike the other big brewers, whose fake-craft selections are tailored to mainstream tastes, this seems to be more or less the real deal. Surprising, to say the least.

The beer emerges from the 12-ounce brown bottle a clarion deep mahogany color with a frothy light tan head that is portly in size, after its demise the lace forms a splotchy coating of lace. Nose has an interesting malt aroma, chased by what I classify as vinegar like tones, which doesn’t bode well for this beer. Start is lightly sweet, fair grain profile, and the top light in its feel, finish is moderately carbonated. Hops are present and mild, the aftertaste quite dry and lingering, not what I would call bad, but not anything I would recommend.

2.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Clear reddish-amber color with a thin off-white head. Thin stringy lacing. The aroma is mildly hoppy with some grain and malt. Light-bodied and easy to drink with light fruit, sweet malt and hops flavoring. The finish is clean and refreshing but not very flavorful. Some mild hops and spice and not much else. All in all this is pretty good considering the source, yet about what I expected from a macro seasonal.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown botle.
In appearance this is a nice enough, clear medium brown ale with livelly carbonation and a good sized creamy thick light tan head.
Good strongish aroma of caramel like malts.
Plain malty flavour, smooth and semi- sweet, like prunes or sweet figs. To be honest its quite pleasing.
The palate is average.. slightly thin for the style.
Quite a drinkable ale..not big compared to most micro winter ales..but nice and refreshing. A surprise coming from the makers of such horrors as "The Silver Bullet".!

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%

Single, twelve ounce bottle purchased from The Palisade Liquor Store in Jersey City...
First time I've ever seen this brew anywhere...
Pours a deep, dark, amber hue with slight carbonation...
Amber, grainy, malt-dominated aroma...
Hints of sweet caramel, candied sugars, and vanilla essences thrown in the mix...
Heavy on the malts, low on hops with a strong caramel, honey finish...
An interesting sample from Coors...
Although not the best representation of an Amber beer, I give the macro-giant points for trying with this one...

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Purchased at local beer store for $10.99 for a case of 24! How could I go wrong? Poured a crystal clear deep copper color with tannish puffy head that fell to a thin coating. Nice lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is impressive, with a nice strong toasted maltiness being in the foreground. Slight hop presence also to be found. Taste is good, and improves with susequent tastes and as the beer warms. Left a nice creamy mouth feel and a strong hoppy bitterness at the finish. I am very pleased with my purchase and will look forward to future year's offerings. Very easy drinking,

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - a caramel amber pour, very aesthetic coming out of the bottle. Light mocha colored head froths up with some initial vigor but settles to a patchy cover rather quickly.

Aroma - pleasant aromatic bready malt with a touch of raisiny sweetness. Fades somewhat and doesn't develop beyond that, but it's a nice smelling beer.

Taste - malty base, leaning toward the sweet side. A touch of balancing hops at the end. I wonder if they started with the base formula for Killian's and added more grain and hops, that's the impression I get. Tastier than most Coors offerings, comes across like a ramped up Killian's, not a bad thing.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, body is a little lighter than average but not watery.

Drinkability - good by the fire, at a Christmas party, while reading scary ghost stories of Christmases long, long ago...

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance: Clear golden-orange color, with a one-inch off-white head, which retains superbly, with patchy lacing across the glass walls, and numerous streams of very small bubbles.

Aroma: Rich, toasty malt aroma, with slight notes of chocolate, earthy notes, and slight floral hop notes.

Taste: Opens with strong toasty malt notes, and a slight nutty characteristic as well. Later in the taste, some bittersweet chocolate notes appear. Finishes with a mild, lingering spicy hop note.

Mouth feel: Soft and full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Considering this is a product from a macro brewer, its amazingly good. I am made to wish that Coors made more beer like this.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a deep amber, almost ruby color with a 2 finger head that falls rather slowly. Clarity is high. Nose is a little zippy. I get solid toastyness over a light toffee with a hoppy zing in the finish. Flavor is interesting. It starts nice and toasty, but moves to a moderate grainyness, finishing with a soapyness and a mild hop bitter. The finish is really not working for me at all. Its pretty offensive to me. Feel is moderate with a nice moderate to full carbonation. If not for that aftertaste, this would be a pretty nice offering. I just think that flavor it leaves detracts enough for me to not want it again.

3.96/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Bottle Inspection: “… from the choices ingredients” I won’t ask what they brew with the rest of the year. Lasered neck list JAN21 (sampled JAN4), and odd, also lists 059 and then 44 F. Surely 44 F isn’t a storage or serving suggestion, and merely odd code.

Aroma: Brisks swirls bring up a little sweet maltiness and maybe just a hint of some grassy noble hops (I might be reaching). There is a bready quality here, like plain wheat bread.

Appearance: Poured in a pint glass it showed a completely translucent amber with a good half finger of tight froth which lasts and left a solid curtain of lace. Looks just great, but the excessive clarity is a bit unnerving.

Flavor: Subtle. A gentle dark malt characteristic which (I swear to God I’m not kidding) reminded me of Cask Ale from England, but lacking the complexity and mouthfeel entirely. There is also a yeasty quality that surprised me at first, but the taste is lost quickly in the glass. Hard to give a good description, there’s so little here, but what’s here is pretty good! The maltiness just comes through, but very little actual sweetness, which is the only indication of hops.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fizzy carbonation is overdone. I think my pour was a little conservative, I’d recommend a rough pour to sap off a lot of the carbonation

Overall Impression: I’m impressed! A very light but has some flavor, and the flavor’s good! My favorite Coors so far, by far!

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear, red in hue, golden highlights; I am not going to lie, I didn’t expect this beer to be so dark. The liquid is very attractive. Beige head, the bubbles collected long enough to form a finger’s worth of head. The head retention was okay; it quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was very minimal; I counted about seven little spots of foam. While the color surprised me (pleasantly) nothing else about the appearance is noteworthy. Average isn’t bad; it still looks damn fine… especially considering it was brewed by Coors.

Well, it smells like an Ale; I detect a trace aroma of fruitiness. That is a good first step. I never know with these silly labeling laws, I was expecting a Red Lager (of sorts). Wow, there is malt in the nose… pleasant caramel malt, toasty in the background. Plenty of it too! There is some light earthiness but any pronounced hoppiness is held in check. The potency is moderate; still, I like the nose. Simple but inviting… I don’t smell adjuncts, just malt, as I should for the style. Is this All-Malt? My hopes for this beer have been elevated…

The palate is solid. Amber Ales are not the most impressive beer style but this one is pretty well done. My only grievance is the sharp, stinging finish. I don’t know what it is, clearly it is not alcohol. The cutting sensation has almost a grainy/sharp characteristic. I can live with it. What I do like about this beer is the maltiness; I found it from start to finish. It is clear as day, caramel malt with a toasty backdrop. While there isn’t much depth or bulk there is good flavor here. Low hop bitterness, this is a nicely balanced beer. Kind of clean, only traces of fruitiness can be detected. While simple tasting, it is perfectly likeable. Long, sweet aftertaste (once I get through that rough/grain/hot spot). On the whole, this is a very nice Amber Ale.

Medium/medium-light in body, the mouthfeel is a tickle thin (not watery); the carbonation is active and cleansing. Thankfully this is the case, there isn’t enough hops here for this beer to be sluggish. It has a pleasant mouthfeel.

Why is this beer not a year-round offering from Coors? It is very good. I purchased a single bottle in Lawrence, KS. I never saw this beer before so I snagged one. Well, it is found all over Omaha… and you know what? I might just have to buy a six-pack. It is a damn cheap Amber Ale. While not as tasty as Fat Tire (if you think Fat Tire sucks then you will hate this beer. If you hate Fat Tire do you like any Amber Ales? Seriously? This is how they are supposed to taste. But I digress.). This is a solid drinking beer. It is a good session beer, especially for a Winter Seasonal. Not bad… not bad at all. If you think Coors can’t brew, try this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

This is by far the best beer coors ever made. I use to get it on sale for $2.99 a six pack every Spring. Too bad they no longer make it. It is a brown color with a midling tan head. The nose has some nutty malts with light hops and Christmas spices. The taste has roasty malt bitter hops. Good flavor for a Coors product. Body is a little fizzy, but this drinks well.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

This is as my ratings suggest a good beer. I may also add it is a great beer for the winter months. It tours a dark chocolate brown color with a thin off white head. It smells of sweet roasted barley and chocolate. The taste is of the same perfect carbonation and nice smooth finish down the back of your tongue. Very refreshing and at the same time very full.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

Coors Winterfest pours a dark chestnut brown with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I'm not getting much in the way of aroma. The taste is a bit on the sweet side with some caramel notes being noticeable. Pleasant, but not exciting. Worth a try.

Coors Winterfest from Coors Brewing Company