Keystone Ice | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

Reviews: 144 | Ratings: 696
2.14/5  rDev +7.5%

A - pale, see-through, yellow with a big, thick, frothy, fizzy head that fades after a few seconds

S - grainy, a bit metallic, warm

T - sweet with some corn notes; very little flavor

M - crisp, well carbonated, light bodied, a bit thin

There's very little to report here. The flavor is sweet corn and grains. When it's ice cold you can drink a lot of it and quickly. Not something I would buy again.

3.76/5  rDev +88.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Rated within the style. More specifically, rated as a macro ice lager which I wish was recognized as its own style by BA. Not everything falls under American Adjunct Lager.

One of my favorite macro ice lagers, although I tend to say that about most of them because I enjoy this style. Kudos to Coors for boldly claiming Keystone as one of their beers since the beginning with a graphic on every can/bottle/package.

$12.99 for a 30 pack, with 5.9% ABV, in 2014, in California. We're off to a great start!

A: A one finger fizzy head from a moderate pour. The head reduces quickly to a small ring that struggles to maintain for the entire glass. Golden yellow color. Clarity = Yes! Very still. Some lacing that doesn't hang on long. Only pour Keystone Ice out of its container to make it easier to drink. Bonus points for (eventually) picking up all of the Coors Light gimmicks: lined can, DOUBLE vents, and widemouth. It's evolution at work in the Coors family. Extra bonus points for the black can and consistently awesome but ever changing graphics.

S: Keystone Ice is not afraid to give you something for your nose! Strong ripe banana (even hints of maple.) Sour grains. Iron. Alcohol is easy to detect as the beer warms. Corn. To me it's not off-putting, but you'd have to appreciate an odorous macro ice lager. The smell fits solidly within the Coors family.

T: Coors Original (Banquet) turned up to 11. The sweetness and bitterness fight each other for dominance. I can say that this is sweeter and has more hop bitterness than any other macro ice lager I have had, which is to say flavorful for the style. Strong malts and grains with a predominant toasted bread flavor that lingers after swallowing.

M: Creamy with a high carbonation that leaves a delicate sting. This is more substantial than most of its competitors. Enjoyable and refreshing. There is a noticeable alcohol warming in both the mouth and esophagus.

O: Keystone Ice is better than the sum of its parts. This is THE macro ice lager I would use to introduce someone to the style. Although Bud Ice, another macro ice lager that I adore, is smoother it has less character, it costs more, is harder to find, and has less impact (drunkenness.) For ice beers available to me Keystone Ice is the winner.

2.46/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a big white head. The head fades very fast giving way to almost no lacing.
Smell – Some rather unappealing aromas of cardboard and metal shards mixed with a very light corn aroma.

Taste – A very crisp taste meets the tongue. It is mainly sweeter corn malt in nature but has a slight bready flavor as well. Toward the end there is a light papery taste, but it is very light. Overall I was a bit surprised as it was a crisper and more refreshing taste then the nose let on.

Mouthfeel – It has a lighter body with a slightly above average carbonation level. It is very much what you would expect.

Overall – It really has nothing going for it except its crispness. This would be good for right after a run or hard bike on a hot summer day when you want something without too complex a body and that is very crisp and easy to sit, relax, and cool down with.

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

Ap: Corn, golden yellow and transparent. Very pale but darker than your average light lager. Displayed little to no head and virtually no lacing.

Ar: Virtually no smell. Mild syrup/candy like odor. Hops? What's that?

Ta: The flavor is akin to malt liquor. Syrupy with corn flavoring and the generic adjunct flavors. Does little to entice additional sips. Very bland and watery.

Mf: The carbonation is visible but once applied to the lips, it disappears. Leaves a rather sugary aftertaste with metallic overtones. It fills the mouth no differently than seltzer water. Bland.

Ov: While it's easy to criticize adjunct lagers, this beer is effective at achieving a moderate buzz thanks to the higher ABV. This will forever be immortalized as long as there are frat parties in existence. It appeals to the younger, inexperienced and to the bargain hunters. You could easily buy a similar beer and not feel a thing. At least with this you are guaranteed some kind of result. While staying at this price point I would rather recommend an Old Milwaukee or PBR if flavor becomes a higher priority.

2.52/5  rDev +26.6%

I'm drinking Keystone Ice! I've never seen anyone ever drink this beer before, that's why I'm drinking it. One question I have is what is the difference between Busch Ice, Bud Ice, Natty Ice, and Keystone Ice? Probably not alot.

Well, pretty much what I expected here. Its drinkable, sure, but the only highlight I can tell you about drinking this is that it has 5.9 % ABV, of which I keep staring at as I drink this. Its sweet, metallic, has some corn in it, and looks like malt liquor. The can says it is specially lined, I wonder what is so special about the liner, and why it needs to be mentioned on the can? Overall, a "great" ice beer made by Coors, I'll be sure to grab another 24 ounce can for 1.25 for an affordable buzzz.

2.05/5  rDev +3%

I do not know much about the "snobbish" beer stuff, mouthfeel? I know if its wet and if it stinks and if it tastes like the liquid at the bottom of my garbage can.

With that said, this could be worse. I had a bad experience with a 12 pack of "Game Day" beer last week. Was drinkable enough cause I wanted to get drunk, but I spent a lot of time the next day on the toilet. Might have been the Chicken Massala I had with it tho.

This at least, behaves a lot better, its got a better taste - or lack of taste is prolly better for an ice beer like this.

I love good beers, I love to get a good buzz. My budget at this point means I look for the quantity over quality sadly, and this works - OK for now.

For the fact it does not taste horrible I will mark it down like many others, as something to get a buzz on but at least drinkable to a degree. I cannot wait till I can afford better beer again.

2.39/5  rDev +20.1%

"APR0912" printed on the bottom of the 24 oz. can. $1.49

Poured into a mug. Straw colored urine color, bright clarity, thin flimsy head that fades immediately to nothing. Rapidly rising column of carbonation, yet strangely there's no head at all.

Bland aroma, toasted popcorn kernels, wet grains.

Tastes like wet paper, white bread, a vague inkling of grassy hop bitterness. Ghostly aftertaste of malt, but it's more like stale bread. Clean aftertaste, a little dry, but no alcohol presence. Overall bland but not offensive, thin bodied with a medium carbonation level. Best served super cold in warm weather, then it's drinkable. Not the worst of the worst, to be sure.

KEYSTONE TO DA DOME!

Apparently just opening the can has resurrective properties. Gonna have to try this tomorrow with the inevitable hangover this beer will cause...

1.2/5  rDev -39.7%

Bought this from the Frontier Saloon in Folsom, PA; 24 oz can for $1.50, figured why not? Apparently, according to the can, it was specially designed on the inside, yeah right...

I poured this into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a clear, piss-colored yellow (this really is the most accurate description of the color). A two finger head that quickly dissipates into soapy suds. Boo

Smell: Smelled of corn and metal. That's it, really. Pretty horrible.

Taste: A bit better than the smell, but not by much. A strong taste of corn, followed by a metallic aftertaste. The alcohol taste is pretty well hidden, though.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but it leaves a sticky kind of residue. Weird, and not in a good way.

Overall: A terrible beer of this style, but if you're looking to get smashed, it's an ok option. I almost poured mine down the drain, but felt the alcohol coming on, and decided to finish it based solely on that.

1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's yellow and fizzy.

It smells like corn and metal.

It tastes like sweet adjuncts and metal. Ick!

It's very thin and watery.

I drank this beer because I'm a sucker for cheap beer and it was offered to me by a friend. I'm too polite to be such a snob that I turn someone away because their tastes are not as "refined" as mine. I didn't enjoy it, but it's not the worst thing I've ever drank.

1.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Straw to amber color with lots of bubbles and a thin fading head.

S - Corn and a slight metallic smell that is displeasing.

T - Smooth but with a bit of metal funk and some corn. Not horrendous but not enjoyable.

M - lots of bubbles, light body.

O - No, I don't want another, but if it's there and you want to get drunk then it will do the job.

1.8/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance:
Pale straw color, clear. Lots of bubbles. Thin head that disappear really quick.

Aroma:
Sweet grains, some corn. A little bitterness.

Taste:
Sweet up front with a foul bitterness in the finish. Sweet corn. Hint of bananas(?!?). Weird metallic taste towards the end. Body is thin. Very sharp carbonation.

Finish:
Harsh. Foul metallic aftertaste.

Overall:
Not a good beer.

2.45/5  rDev +23.1%

Purchased at a Circle K in the Ville aka Steubenville, OH price check if anybody cares a dollar 69. Not much more booze than your typical malt lager but this is an iced version of Keystone. Appears in the most non descript form of a yellow fizzy lager, plop plop fizzes rise from the bottom of the glass. White head dwindles pretty rapidly even while your pouring the beer the head races to meet the body, wtf I guess a true college beer drinker knows how to pour a beer without any or much head. More beer right? Aroma has a pure cooked corn/cereal grain aroma...faint muddled herbal quality not quite hops. Flavor wise a pretty srong cereal grain infusion of rice/malts/corn with a bitter unpleasant offbeat singing through the melody of unconditioned and off put flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a rough heavy carbonation filling my senses this is tough sipping beer from a tallboy can. Overall I drank most of this not sure the portion that I didn't get down but I've seen much worse but this isn't aiming it's sights very high. A really mediocre brew that is put out there with extremly low expectations.

3.27/5  rDev +64.3%

A: typical American adjunct lager. Loads of bubbles travel up to the top of the glass. Virtually no head.

S: not too offensive, especially compared to other ice beers. There is a slight sweetness from the higher alcohol content and subtle hints of corn.

T: very smooth, almost dangerously smooth. The sweetness takes the front seat, due to the higher alcohol content. Similar to the odor, there is some corniness.

M: heavily carbonated and quite watery. Not too impressed.

Although this beer gets a lot of hate, it's better than other ice lagers on the market. The appearance is nothing special, but the flavor is far less offensive than other ice lagers. If you're strapped for cash and want something smooth, this brew is a decent buy.

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%

From a can marked Oct1011-BO8060639. The pour is yellow with no head and busy carbonation. The aroma is more subtle than many Ice beers with a crispy hoppiness sneaking up on the nose but little in the way of malts. Plenty of corn and adjuncts. The body is thin. The taste is a tad mellower than I expected but otherwise it is mainly corn, metal, and a weak hop factor. It's a macro ice beer...what do you expect? Better than some though.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

I only drink this when one of my friend's friend's friend ends up bringing it to a party. This beer is really only good for beer pong. Tastes pretty bad when it gets warm, but your drinking it to get drunk not to enjoy. If this was left over after a party, I'd make them disappear, but I would never use my hard earned cash for this brew.

2.35/5  rDev +18.1%

This used to be a staple for me during my first 3 years at central. Having some I found in my friends fridge.
This beer is cheap but it lacks taste and what it has is a very inoffensive corn/rice taste. So to sum it up it goes down easy and gets you drunk as long as you have no expectations.

3.38/5  rDev +69.8%

for what it is, a cheap relatively high abv macro lager, its not bad. i like that there is almost no smell, weak taste of malt, and clean finish. this is my beer of choice for floating the river. good for a hot (95+ ) day.

Now if i was comparing this to a good quality craft beer id probably give it a D-.

1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured into a frozen mug to reach optimal temp. Large white head dissipates like soda.

Smells of a typical adjuct beer with a very hint of cascade hops but it's barley there.

There not much taste in the middle. Malty sweet with a enough hops to barley know they put them in. You could chug the hell out of this however. Good beer to get drunk off of fast without having to tast much. I do prefer this over a Bud I must say. Plenty of carbonation here.

The finish leaves a mouthfeel that coats your mouth and makes you want to spit a lot. Over all I'm not impressed but somebody left it in my fridge and I wouldn't let one go to waste.

2.06/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz can
Served in a pint glass

A - It poured straw yellow with an inch of white head.

S - The aroma is alcohol, grain, and grass.

T - Not good. The alcohol comes through with the typical sweetness of an adjunct lager.

M - Watery with some carbonation bite.

O - I stopped at a gas station and looked for the highest ABV. Not a lot of options.

2.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Dude, brah. You gotta try this beer, yo. It's the best thing since backwards neon baseball caps. Wait a minute, no it's not. I almost forgot that I'm a reasonable human being.

OK, seriously. Its head disappeared within a couple seconds of pouring. Never seen that happen before. It poured a clear bright yellow. I thought it smelled strongly of green apples. The mouthfeel is that of high carbonation. It tastes like bread, essentially. I was surprised to find that it tasted more of bread than corn or of alcohol. The aftertaste is almost the same as the aftertaste after you've eaten a slice of an 89 cent loaf of "wheat" bread. So, for the price, it's ALMOST worth it. One problem: it gives me terrible heartburn before I've ever finished the can! Never experienced that with any other beer before. I've had problems with heartburn before, but never before finishing a single can of beer. Not sure what's in this stuff that causes such a problem, but for me that makes it not worth paying ANY money for. A good alternative: Big Flats 1901. It has more flavour, doesn't feel weird in your throat or stomach, and is CHEAPER! Yes, I said cheaper. Hard to beat that logic.

1.76/5  rDev -11.6%

Obtained a small four ounce pour from my father who was downing them and then crushing them on his head.
Pours a very light straw yellow color with a thick white head and no lacing. Smells of sweet corn and maybe rice. Tastes very light with no bitterness and a lot of corn. Mouthfeel is thin and watery and has a very heavy carbonation. Overall, pretty nasty.

2.25/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance is golden yellow when poured out with a thin looking layer of white foam that dissipates very quickly.

Smells like corn, and not much else other than a faint chemical sort of a smell.

Taste follows the nose, corny sweetness and a water-down yet harsh forwardness of astringentcy in the flavor. Not very good at all.

The mouthfeel of this beer is like most any cheap, bad light adjunct lager: light and heavy on the carbonation; like soda water.

I do fine this pretty easy to tolerate drinking, but the nasty astringent flavors in there lead me to believe drinking too many of these would be quite regrettable later on.

1.8/5  rDev -9.5%

I will admit ice beer sucks and is the lowest/scummiest form of beer possible, at least in America where they make this stuff to increase .5-1% more alcohol. Anyway, I buy a brand of this every 6 months because it's the cheapest $4.68 for a six pack of 16 oz'ers.

sering type: can. the only way it comes I think? cheap beer should be canned and cheap beer is awesome!
appearance: i always drink from can, sorrys.
smell: yucky adjunct, man made and radioactive. ;)
taste: not right.
mouthfeel: carbonation that fades away into bubbles that linger.
drinkability: pretty good. Never drank a sixer of this which could be toxic and very hangoverable but cheap beer is always drinkable for me it seems like. if I was sad I'd seek out a bunch of cheap beer over six packs of craft brews any day. If craft brews were free though it would be craft brews. RICH PEOPLE'S MONEY!

p.s. they've updated the can since the profile pic here was taken. now it's upside down to conceal your shame that others will see the swill you're intaking. cheers.

1.69/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another Ice, I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.

A: The pour is like pretty much any other adjunct lager, clear light golden color with a white head that ends up being nothing more than a thin layer.

S: Cooked vegetables right away, I'm thinking string beans and asparagus. Some nice corn notes along with a mild graininess. A decent alcohol presence as well.

T: This beer is harsh. Abrasively alcoholic without much else (flavor-wise) to cover it up. Some hints of corn and perhaps some grain sweetness.

M: The body is light and the carbonation is very high.

D: Ice tends to be synonymous with "horrendous" in terms of beer and this can did nothing to change that.

1.33/5  rDev -33.2%

I must admit I have never seen Keystone Ice poured into a glass; I've only had it from the can. But from the taste and similar beers, I'm going to guess it does not look very impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about the taste and wow was Keystone Ice repulsive. I struggled to get one 16 oz can down.

The taste is watered down and flat, and to make matters worse, the aftertaste and "mouthfeel" are bitter. I don't trust ice beer at all.

Keystone Ice just really doesn't get along with my palette, I guess. It is a beer I will never buy again. If its free and the only option, then I'll definitely be the D.D. for the night.

Keystone Ice from Coors Brewing Company