Keystone Ice | Coors Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 698
1.69/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another Ice, I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.

A: The pour is like pretty much any other adjunct lager, clear light golden color with a white head that ends up being nothing more than a thin layer.

S: Cooked vegetables right away, I'm thinking string beans and asparagus. Some nice corn notes along with a mild graininess. A decent alcohol presence as well.

T: This beer is harsh. Abrasively alcoholic without much else (flavor-wise) to cover it up. Some hints of corn and perhaps some grain sweetness.

M: The body is light and the carbonation is very high.

D: Ice tends to be synonymous with "horrendous" in terms of beer and this can did nothing to change that.

1.33/5  rDev -33.2%

I must admit I have never seen Keystone Ice poured into a glass; I've only had it from the can. But from the taste and similar beers, I'm going to guess it does not look very impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about the taste and wow was Keystone Ice repulsive. I struggled to get one 16 oz can down.

The taste is watered down and flat, and to make matters worse, the aftertaste and "mouthfeel" are bitter. I don't trust ice beer at all.

Keystone Ice just really doesn't get along with my palette, I guess. It is a beer I will never buy again. If its free and the only option, then I'll definitely be the D.D. for the night.

3.85/5  rDev +93.5%

Another example of the style found in Plattsburgh, NY.

Pours a mild golden color with a thin head into my pint glass. Head was initially bigger but faded quick.

Aroma equals a strong whiff of sweet malt with corn on the nose. Again, this is nothing new for the style.

Taste is much like it says on the can (smooth) with just a hint of sweet malt and corn upfront. Inoffensive and to the style I suppose.

Mouthfeel is quite clean with only a hint of sweet malt. No offensive flavors. To the point.

Either my palate now welcomes the style or I'm starting to find examples that seem to fit it best. As cheap as this is, I already prefer it to Natty Ice (it is an ice beer after all). There's a beer for all income brackets and though this is not as cheap as Mountain Brew Ice, it is just as tasty.

1.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

this had to be the worst of the batch by far. poured out a nearly clear, overcarbonated pale golden yellow with a fizzy white head that faded out in mere seconds.

light aroma of corn and grain goes nowhere, really just goes nowhere and has no substance to it at all. watery feel has barely any depth to it at all, really just a light, watery, carbonated fizzy beverage. no aftetaste and only the slightest touches of light grian.

overall i found this to be a total waste. i found more taste in an odouls.

1.39/5  rDev -30.2%

Yellow, small head dissipates quickly. Not much carbonation.
Smells very cheap, grainy, stale.
Unpleasent tasing, watery.
Feels like its flat.
Hard to drink beer. Very cheap and somewhat strong. Im having a very hard time drinking this beer. Avoid definately!

1.45/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bought this from a gas station in a 24 oz can. This is quite bad. Please do not drink not even at a frat party.

A: The beer is fresh according to the born on date. Poured with no head I mean zilch. Very uneven carbonation due to forced carbonation instead of priming. Golden straw color is the only appealing thing.

S: Smells alcohol laden, astringent, and like creamed corn. Not yummy.

T:Metallic, cooked veggies, booze, and...wait for it corn! Hop bitterness and balance are not there. Very malty sweet and corny.

M: Like cough medicine. This is fairly painful to drink.

D: I poured it out to spare my self the calories. I will not have another not even for beer pong and flip cup.

1.06/5  rDev -46.7%

There aren't many beers that I've had in my life that I can't at least drink, whether or not I enjoy them. This dear readers is one fatal exception. To follow the community guidelines for reviews, I will hold off on bashing this beer until I get into the review. Let me assure you however, before we begin, that there is only one redeeming quality to this awful stuff.
As far as appearance, I had this stuff at poker night in college so it's hard to tell the appearance of a beer in a red plastic cup. However on the pour there was almost no head except for some oily looking foam clinging in sparse areas of the surface of my beer and the color of the pour was very similar to say...well lets just say this beer must have been dehydrated and taking its B vitamins cause it looked and smelled like it. The mouthfeel is initially no different than any other macro brew, which is to say there isn't much of anything going on here. On the finish it seems to mutate into something altogether different, leaving a funky coating on the palate and a bit of a sharp bite in the back of the throat (that could be the vodka they're pouring in this stuff to up the alcohol content...not seriously by the way...but it feels like it). The taste is only what can be described as unbearable, although I did bear it that night and succeeded in getting pretty hammered off the stuff (is its one redeeming quality) which leads me to the point I am today. One of my college buddies bought a case of it and after opening the can I knew I wouldn't be able to pull another night off with this one. I literally swallowed a chug of the beer and it immediately reversed directions and...well you can imagine. I'm just glad I was close to the trash can.

1.2/5  rDev -39.7%

A- Pale golden with white head that lasted 5 seconds

S- corn, metallic, rice, husk.

T- Same as smell, but with a tinge of bitterness to it. Not hoppy bitterness, mostly carbonation induced and mineral induced.

M- Filmy and feel like I ate rotten eggs

D- How can people drink this? I gave this a 2.0 drink ability rating because its a "damn it I wanna die so lets get drunk chug this sucker" type of beer.

1.82/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale golden with white head that was seriously gone before i raised it to my lips.
S- corn, metallic, rice, husk.
M- Thin, and overcarbed.
D- A rare example of where the light version is distinguishably better than the non-light.

3.04/5  rDev +52.8%

I poured a 24 oz can into a glass mug.

The beer had a nice head that disappeared after awhile. no lacing at all. Had a nice golden straw color.

Other than smelling a little sour you couldn't really smell anything else.

It tastes ok. Kind of watered down. cant taste any malt or hops.

It was too bubbly, seemed over-carbonated.

You can drink this stuff, it's not bad for the price but, it's definately not anything special, what would you expect thoough?

1.25/5  rDev -37.2%

Another beer in the series of Adjunct Lager Tasting. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A foamy white three finger white head that has poor retention. The color of the beer is a light straw color with yellow hues. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is brilliant. The head disappeared after a couple of minutes in the glass, nothing remained.

Nose: A very faint corn, rice and barley note. There is a very light corn sweetness and fruity esters in the background of the beer. It was a little hard to get the aromas in the beer, since they are not very aromatic.

Taste: A very light rice and barley flavor. There are notes of floral esters and corn sweetness. There is odd flavor in the finish kinda tinny and sour. There are very unpleasant and make it hard to drink.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, dry, and slightly astringent.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. There is really odd meat flavor in the the finish of the beer, making it unpleasant and a drain pour.

3.45/5  rDev +73.4%

Keystone Ice is a mild-tasting and enjoyable beer to have. It has a thick, white head and is very carbonated. Aroma is faint to nonexistent. Mouth-feel is medium and watery. The taste is slightly sweet, and Keystone Ice has a smooth, crisp finish. The comforting and relatively high alcohol level (5.9%) is quite noticeable on an empty stomach. Overall, this is a good beer, and should be especially pleasing in the warmer months. I'd recommend it with spicy seafood, such as boiled crabs.

RJT

1.18/5  rDev -40.7%

This beer didn't taste like anything. Literally, it tasted and smelled like absolutely nothing.

Some people are saying it smells skunked, corn-like, etc. I couldn't smell a thing or taste a thing.

It had a ring of white, which I guess was its head and had the carbonation and mouthfeel of a soda.

This is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

1.36/5  rDev -31.7%

Appearance: Slightly less light than its Light brother.

Smell: Bad. Strong. Pungent. Skunked.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff actually tastes much better than Keystone Light...when it's cold. The problem is, it stays cold for 1-2 sips then gets grossly hot...not warm...hot. Infinite regression with smoothness once this happens.

Drinkability: Like I said, once this gets hot, watch out.

Overall: If you could keep this cold for more than 30 seconds it could be a bit less bad. If you must, just shotgun.

2.29/5  rDev +15.1%

So, this is what I have been reduced to after losing my job...pity.

The appearance is actually attractive. There is a bright golden color with a white crown which retained pasted my expectation. Tastes like all other mainstream bullshit. The feel is smooth, but watery and somewhat quenching. This beer almost weighs in at 6%, close to a Boulevard Saison, and drinking beyond good.

Overall: worth two bucks and a quarter when times are bad.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

1.65/5  rDev -17.1%

Pale yellow whiz in a can. No head, no lacing. Smell is like after your buddy spills Coors in your ride, and it cooks in there for a weekend.

Taste, since it doesn't taste like much, it isn't as bad as the "bad" appearance and aroma. Mouthfeel doesn't leave anything. Bad aftertaste I guess of cornmeal. Drinkability rates high, hey, its cheap, and since its like alcohol water, its relatively easy to drink, but why you would want to . . .

2.33/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured undeservingly into a glass
A-Type macro brew "beer", weak bubbly foam dissipates quickly into nothing.
S-sickly sweet, caramel?, corn?, hard to discern. Faint grainy smell. Make it go away.
T-A bit better than the smell, still has the mystery sweetness in the aftertaste, metallic, do I taste MALT?! I think I do! Good job Keystone!
M-Like sex with a girl with the clap, I don't notice anything "wrong", but in the near future there may be repercussions for drinking this.
D-I could drink a lot of this beer. I could also cut my hair with a weedwacker, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

2.28/5  rDev +14.6%

24 oz. can:

Pours straw yellow with a decent head at first - but it soon collapses to barely a wisp. Almost thought it would have some lacing - but that vanishes in a heartbeat - leaving glass clean in the end. Overall, it turns out to be a typical "macro lager" look...though body towards golden and a head that lasted a very fleeting moment.

The smell is of some grain and cereal - some boozy alcohol...that lends an odd floral/fruitiness.

The taste is of fusel alcohol, hint of lingering sweetness, and something close to, but quite hitting, nail polish remover. Finishes sweet - reminiscent of cheap malt liquor.

It has a slick, light body. It's not too fizzy.

This is for people who want a cheap quick buzz if you chug it, I suppose. I didn't chug it and was able to get through the whole 24 oz. can. Some short-lived sweetness lingered. In the end - a cheap macro with a bit of booze...

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

Bought a 24 ounce can for $1.35. Poured from can appears like most other lagars pale yellow. Lots of carbonated bubbles. Strong smell of corn. Lots of corn, sugar and yeast in the flavor. Somewhat stale flavor. No real malts or hops to speak of. Mouthfeel is pretty watery. Drinkability, in one word no.

2.74/5  rDev +37.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Mild smell, some malts. Taste is lacking, some malts, finishing a bit metallic. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall not a whole lot to like about this one.

1.93/5  rDev -3%

A: Pale yellow, lots of carbonation bubbles. Decent amount of head initially, but quickly dies down to a thin ring. Definitely meant to be inside a can.

S: Smells like a typical light "college party beer", which makes me slightly upset to my stomach. Sours hops, grain, wet paper, a hint of citric sweetness. Toilet water.

T: Metallic and grainy, some sweetness that makes it just a little more bearable than Keystone Light. I mean, it is better than say Natty Light or Genny Light, but that's not saying much.

M: Thin and watery, really terrible.

D: I suppose if it's ice cold it's at least "drinkable". This beer is what it is: A (really) cheap buzz bear that you can buy in large quantities at gas stations and grocery stores. A "beer pong beer" in my book really. I would also like to point out that I'm not one of those people that is unwilling to drink macro light beers. I don't mind an occasional Coors or Bud Light with some chicken wings. That being said, I would never want to drink this outside of a college party, and even then not really.

2.55/5  rDev +28.1%

Saw a single bottle of this, so I said why not. I used to drink this stuff in college.
Pale, crystal clear, straw with a medium-sized, fizzy, white head that quickly diminishes to a thin ring. Smell is of weak malts, light yeast and veggie. Taste follows. Very adjunct flavor. Finish is crisp with light fruity whisps of fruit on the finish, something actually enjoyable. But as you go the finish turns chalky and husky. It looks cheap, it tastes cheap... but as long as that's what you're going for, it's not terrible. Is it a good beer? Ha! But in the category of American Adjunct Lager, it's not bad. So keeping style in mind I won't blast this beer.

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

Appearance from this 24 oz. can is straw in color with a crisp head that dissapates quickly. Smell has light adjunct, but clean. Taste of slightly sweet corn, watered down with a light bitter bite. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Drinkable cheap buzz.

1.66/5  rDev -16.6%

What's the deal with Ice brews? Keystone Premium is awful, Keystone Light is worse, so why not stop there? The ABV is higher, but that doesn't make this any better. This beer is watery and not much else good can be said about it. Others have said it better than I can. Mouthfeel is weak, taste is atrocious, and poured appearance is without obvious merit. Drinkability is not improved by a higher ABV.

Keystone Ice from Coors Brewing Company