Keystone Ice | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Keystone IceKeystone Ice
1.72/5
Awful
Keystone IceKeystone Ice

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

1.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and poor lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet corn with a odd banana ester.

The taste was likewise full of sweet corn. Not much else detected beyond that.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style - thin. There was a heavy sweetness toward the finish.

Overall an unappetizing macro that I won't be drinking again.

2.13/5  rDev +23.8%

12oz can from a 24-pk that was on sale for $11.99 at a local Safeway. I needed some shit beer and I figured, "What the hell, it's on sale and I've never actually drank it." In fact, I haven't had any "Ice Beer" since an infamous night in early 1995, and there's a reason for that.

Anyway, this Poured a clear, pale gold color. A slightly rough pour actually produced a sudsy white head of about two inches in height. There were two weird-looking streams of bubbles arching skyward, much like PBS footage of undersea hot air vents. Weird, spidery lace left only towards the bottom of my glass.

The nose was pretty much as I expected, but no fouler. This had a mildly sweet, malty and corny scent.

Taste was like the smell, except that there was also a weird aftertaste that was a bit like apple juice. It wasn't in enough force to be unpleasant, but I was surprised, as "fruity" is not a descriptor I would have thought I'd employ to describe a beer wearing the vaunted Keystone label.

The mouthfeel is odd, as it's slightly sticky in a way I haven't encountered in a beer before. The body is slightly thick than I expected, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Not so much a beer as an alcohol delivery system. It's not undrinkable. In fact it's not unobectionable in terms of quality as it sets out to do what it's meant to do, but there's not much point to drinking it either, unless you feel you are in need of an alcohol delivery system and nothing else. I suppose it fills a niche for fratboys who want to tell themselves that they're a badass for drinking a beer that's nearly 6% alcohol.

1.5/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another beer whose flavor I will never forget.

Pours a darker than the light yellow. Less carbonation, but still way too much for the thin mouthfeel. Taste is skunky. Actually pretty damned bad, though the lack of flavor probably gave way to bad flavor in order to get the alcohol content up.

Tough to review.

I feel that I have a cast iron palate when it comes to drinking beer. I almost exclusively drink High Gravity Lagers because it has the most bang for the buck. I would prefer to drink quality micro beers and imports but they are too expensive to drink regularly. I would consider myself somewhat of a beer connoisseur. I can drink rot gut vodka straight without any problems but yet I would have to say Keystone ice is one of the most repulsive beers I have ever tried. The first time I ever tried it I can honestly say I thought it could possibly be contaminated or something like that and considered contacting the Brewery. I tried it months later and the results were the same! The taste is very metallic and chemical. You know its beer only by the faint hint of fermented grain. Anyone who says this is an OK beer is a liar!

1.03/5  rDev -40.1%

This beer is a beer for the ages. The extremely pale yellow color is not very appetizing and the smell is kind of pungeant. Not very much of anything good going on here except the price. Real cheap and it will get you drunk very fast. The mouthfeel is alot like Keystone Light - it is really flat and could use more carbonation to make it better. As for it's drinkability, it is not drinkable at all. It hurts going down and does not make me want any more. The black can is pretty cool though...

2.4/5  rDev +39.5%

12 ounce can given to me from a friend at a party

Smell and taste were very dry and bitter for this kind of beer, not very good

Color was golden brown and had a thick foamy head, but might have been because it wrestled around a bit

Could drink a good amount of these if you can handle the taste

2.88/5  rDev +67.4%

This beer is a light yellow, clear with little head. I gave it a three for appearance because the active carbonation in my Larry The Cable Guy pilsner glass is entertaining if nothing else. The smell is corny and as I have noticed before in a few brews, the smell of machined cast aluminum is present. The taste is corn, rice and a slight hint of vanilla. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This beer, as is most of the style, is easy to drink and non-filling. A lot of people bash this style but I for one think it has a place. 12 of these would be no challenge on a night of camping.

1.52/5  rDev -11.6%

Once again, I couldn't just walk by the 99 cent 24 oz can at the grocery store...it's almost like free beer.

A - Pale yellow clay colored brew with an instantaneously "now it's here, now it's gone" head....like watching The Life of Plants documentary in 6th grade where all the plants grow really fast and beers sprout heads and then lose them as the sun flies across the sky.

S - Fruity adjunct laden nose with a bit more malt than Keystone Light. It's a bit sweeter to my nose, but still share that familiar Keystone rotten fruity funk aroma. Tastes like really shitty champagne. I like this more than I thought I would!

T - Fruit, some sort of chemical molasses flavor, and con on the cob. Way more flavorful than the Keystone Light version. It's adjuncty tasting and overly sweet, but it's not all bad. As it warms I can taste alcohol though, so drink this quickly. As it nears room temp it actually tastes like vomit so hurry up and get it down if you must.

M - Much less crisp and carbonated than the light version. Much fuller in the mouth, but it's still pretty light bodied.

D - Not bad. I probably won't buy this again now that I've reviewed it. If I want and ice beer to chug on a hot day I'll take Icehouse over this...unless I see a 24 ozer for 99 cents again!

1.31/5  rDev -23.8%

The only real difference between these two participants in Macro Smackdown XIII is the fact that I'm using a can of Keystone Ice and a bottle of Mickey's Ice. The ABVs are very nearly identical. This will be another classic face-off (an appropriate term for two ice beers) between Miller and Coors. May be the least bad brewery win.

I don't mind the slightly paler color on this beer, since they're very close to the same, but the so-called head is crapilicious. It's grayish white and is one of the least attractive chunks of foam that I've seen in quite a while. It's mealy, soft, unsticky and looks like melting styrofoam. Needless to say, the pint glass is completely untouched. Keystone is the clear loser here.

The nose is odd and is a little off-putting. It isn't very grain-like, it's metallic and it has a strange, sweet, floral odor. Not like floral hops, but like flowers. Another win for the boys from Milwaukee.

Keystone Ice is horrific beer. I don't often have the urge to spit out my first mouthful, but I did in this case. How hard can it be to brew semi-palatable beer? It's almost as if the brewery set out to concoct something disgusting. If they had, they could scarcely have come up with anything worse than this. The beer tastes like sweetened, diseased grain and cheap perfume.

When you're fighting the almost overpowering urge to gag and retch, it makes assessing the mouthfeel an exponentially more difficult task. Neither beer distinguishes itself in this category and I'll have to call them roughly equal in the end.

The can tells me that Keystone Ice is 'always smooth'. I beg to differ. The mouthfeel isn't full enough to be smooth and the flavor is one of the rockiest, most gut-wrenching rides that I've taken in quite some time. My suggestion is that if you find yourself with no other choice, make sure the can is ice cold. On second thought, put the sucker in the freezer until it actually turns to ice... and then throw it away. Nothing is going to make it easier to get this one down.

Pours a golden water from 16 oz specially line can, with mild carbonation and a little more copper looking than Keystone Light, for example. Taste is pretty overwhelming with alcohol, especially when dranken warm at all. I could taste a bit of corn in this but it was basically like a Keystone Light with extra alcohol. It's like adding alcohol to one of the least flavoirful beers so I think that's why the alcohol is overwhelming to me. Serve Ice cold!!

Not much flavor here, maybe recommend at summer outings where the goal is to get bit fast, but that's about it, look for flavor from Milwaukee's Best Ice that at least tastes macro beer a bit with some flavor and will get you just as tipsy.

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. Doug and I used to drink this because we could get like a 50 pack for 2 bucks.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

2.9/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

If what you want is to get a buzz it is goood for that. I have had alot of beers. This isin't best but the effect is good. I guess if you are in a financial strap hold go for it there is nothing much to say about it. I like that i can get 30 stones and pay like 15 bucks for them.

1.48/5  rDev -14%

Keystone Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a fluffy white head from a sixteen ounce can. Smell is a cross between musty and estery at first, then just corn. Tastes like corn, but considerably worse than a typical macro. It has some off flavors, that I can't really identify. Bad. Can you say drain pour?

3.14/5  rDev +82.6%

I normally don't go around recommending bad domestic beers, but as a college student, my friends and I are often standing in a convenience store arguing over which brands "ice" we should be drinking. If you're going to drink Keystone, drink Keystone ice--another reviewer describes "rotten apples," and I agree--but it's a sweet aroma, too. And most definitely, if you are going to drink an "ice" (I know the high alcohol content is appealing to many), drink Keystone Ice.

The beer is very drinkable from the can and actually became a regular at our pick-up hockey games. It's not offensive and surprisingly (to some, not surprising at all), after a week of sitting in the snow, it kept its taste that we had become used to.

If worse comes to worse, and you're stuck with a selection of mass produced beers, grab a 12-pack of Keystone Ice. You'll survive until your next trip to the specialty shop

1.65/5  rDev -4.1%

Saw this at a local gas station, hadn't had keystone in years, and at $7.99 an 18 pack figured what they heck, give it a shot.

As an experiment, I decided to pour half of a can into a glass, and the other half i left in the "specially lined" can.

When i poured the half-glass, there was some fizzy head that dis-appeared immediately. What was left looks like a cup of piss.

The aroma is sweet grains, and old apple juice.

Not much in the way of flavor here. Just kind of sweet and fizzy. Oh and i don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but it seemed to be slighlty better (more drinkable) from the can. This really isn't a "pour in a glass" kind of beer anyways.

Bottom line, if you are on a budget and need to get your buzz on, this will do the trick. Don't drink this one for the flavor, but for the effect.

2.65/5  rDev +54.1%

Pours out of a "specially lined can" an average straw color yellow with a small white head.

Smell. lots of an adjunct aroma jumps out, but also has a very sweet aroma, sweet and like banana candy.

Taste. light and quite sweet. that sweet banana candy comes through in the taste too. this is, i guess on the malty side from the sweetness.... no real hop presence. alcohol is present in the taste in aftertaste, gives it a bit of creaminessfullness (i mean, come on, its 5.9%, you should notice that). Aftertaste is also sweet and just a little unpleasant since it warmed up a touch.

Mouthfeel is decent for what it is. lots of carbonation. no real balance but is quite creamy compared to others.

Overall i'd say one of the better of it's kind (ice crap). One thing that i find interesting is the can says ice brewed ale... what the hell does that mean???? This is one i dont really care to have much at all, but in all honesty, for the price and knowing how other beers of it's like taste, it aint so bad.

2.83/5  rDev +64.5%

Poured a pale yellow color with large white puffy head. Good retention, but almost no lacing to be found. Smell is slightly sweet but virtually nothing else. Taste in so minimal as to be non-existant. Finish is ciold and refreshing. Too strong to be a spacer, but not a bad all around beer.

2.2/5  rDev +27.9%

12 ounce can.

This is reminiscent of beer. If you don't want much color, much head, much aroma, much flavor, much mouthfeel and average drinkability, with a decent alcohol kick, this is the beverage for you. You could drink a lot of this and experience nothing but some belching and a buzz.

Really, very light pale, with a quickly fading white head. Smell is of corn and rice with a hint of malt and hops. Taste is paleness personified. Not much in the mouth but some fizz.

Sort of reminds me of beer.

2.78/5  rDev +61.6%

Ahh Keystone Ice, where do I start...

This was my road beer for our long trips in Montana. No I was not driving, and yes it is perfectly legal to drink in the car in Montana.

Well back to the beer. This is by far the best ice beer I have had to date. Most ice beers give me a headache half way through but not my trusty Keystone Ice. I have no idea how it pours as I would never pour such a beverage into a glass. You need to drink it out of the can anyway to take in all of the great flavor the aluminum adds. Tastes of, well, aluminum and sugar water with a slight hint of some sort of resemblance to beer hiding behind all of the carbonation. You'll be tasting more burps of previous meals than you will beer, but rightfully so with such a beer. At close to 6% alcohol a few cans can get you bent if you drink them properly (quickly) as only a beer of this caliber should be consumed.

This is a beer to drink to get drunk, not to enjoy. It is by far the best ice beer I have had to date. It doesn't have that "cheep vodka added" flavor that most ice beers have. Buy this over Bud Ice. It's cheaper and better tasting. The high taste and mouthfeel numbers are because this is being ranked against similar style beers. If it was against all beers I would probably give it a 1.5 total.

1.4/5  rDev -18.6%

I read all of the comments from college students saying why they buy bad beers. I usually drink bad beers because my Dad offers them to me, and I don't want to offend him, so I accept them. Keystone Ice is pretty rough. It tastes like aluminum foil. It smells like corn, rice, and aluminum foil. It looks pale yellow and fizzy (I guess, I actually drank it from the can). There is some alcohol in there, so I guess it really is beer, just not good beer. Has a grainy, metalic, blood-like finish. Just a weak flavor and harsh texture.

2.6/5  rDev +51.2%

This is not a beer for beer drinkers, pseudo-aficionados, poseurs, whoever... This is a beer for people who want cheap inebriation, but for whaterver reason don't want malt liquor. I don't know what it looks like, because nobody who buys this stuff would pour it into a glass. Lightly hopped, it has the mouthfeel of water that has been lubricated with the syrup of unfermentable sugars. I will say that it doesn't taste at all alcoholic and at almost 6%ABV it doesn't taste like it. All you have to do is walk around a college town after a football game and see empty cans of Keystone Ice lining the streets to understand what kind of brew this is.

2.67/5  rDev +55.2%

Came in a cool skinny can, silver and black. A very streamlined beer drinking experience when enjoyed from the can. I came into the room with this poured in a glass though and my dad asked me if i had pissed in the glass. Doesn't taste as quite as bad as piss though. This pours a pee yellow with no head. The armoa is sorta chemically but besides that barely detectable. The taste is nothing special, it is what you would expect from an ice beer. This one is very inoffensive. I would only drink this when i wanted to get smashed though, nothing in the area of taste here that can be enjoyed. The mouthfeel was blah. Fairly drinkable.

2.1/5  rDev +22.1%

A heavier version of its light brother. Poured out to a medium yellow color with medium high carbonation. No head to speak of, dissipated quite fast. Odors of chemical and malt were noted, as was a scent of alcohol that hung around. Flavor was minimally tolerable, with overtones of corn, water and alcohol. For an Ice beer, i guess its ok, but i'd much rather have a Schlitz or Coors.

3.02/5  rDev +75.6%

I've been a bit financially challenged as of late. I started cruising the beer aisle of my local convienience store for the most frugal beer buy. What caught my eye was a cool looking jet-black can with the words "Keysone Ice". I thought, I've heard Keystone tastes like piss, but proceeded to look down and notice the "5.9 alc.vol printed on the can. I said screw it and went with the "quick buzz".

When I got home and took my first sip I was pleasanty suprised. This was a damn smooth tasting brew. Quenched my thirst for damn sure, for both a buzz and literally. I recommend this brew for anyone after a cheap beer that tastes decent. A hell of a lot better than most other macro-lager's, and a better price.

I rate these kind of beers compared to the others in the category, and with regards to its true purpose, catching a tasty buzz. You probably know about what to expect, pale yellow, adjuct laden, ice beer taste. That being said this is one of the "better" tasting brews of this style. Or shoud i say its not as bad as the others.

Keystone Ice from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)