Keystone Ice | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Keystone IceKeystone Ice
1.72/5
Awful
Keystone IceKeystone Ice

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

1.5/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: I had this from a can so I can't really input anything here.
Smell: Wow, I can actually smell copper and metallic notes through the can.
Taste: Has the same metallic character as the smell with some unpleasant bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation although this sort of thing is relative I suppose.
Drinkability: Tastes bad and with an ABV of 5.90, this beer serves one purpose. It gets ya drunk.

2.2/5  rDev +27.9%

If you want an ICE beer, this is the best. That being said, this beer is crap. Tastes like liquid aluminum, smells like bunghole, just a bad brew all around. I do believe it is the best "ICE" beer I have ever had, but I am not 100% on what an "ICE" beer really is. All I knw is, this one tasted the least like death...

2.95/5  rDev +71.5%

It's not great, but when compared to other ice beers, Keystone Ice is one of the better ones. Taste, as with all ice beers is of lesser importance than low price and high alcohol content (12 pack = $5.99 with a 5.9% AV). You're getting a cheap buzz here and that's what ice beers are for. However, some do taste better than others. Keystone Ice is much better than say Natural Ice and Milwaukee's Best Ice (arguably the the worst "beer" I've had). Keystone Ice has no offensive smell, it actually is smooth, taste is corn, alcohol and the can, with an aftertaste that is popularly described as banana-like. I won't get into color, head or any appearance qualities because in my opinion ice beers should be left in the can or bottle they come in. Pouring them into a glass for further examination not only further reveals their cheapness, it actually can make them taste worse. It seems a little pointless to go into detail about ice beers. I doubt most of those that consume them regularly put much thought into it. Still, if you're going to buy one, you might as well get one you don't have to choke down.

2.26/5  rDev +31.4%

Purchased from HEB in Seguin, TX in a 24 pack. Here we go!

A: Yellow gold, very pale, and very clear

S: Alcohol with a little whiff of grain

T: The taste of this reminds me of malt liquor. It has a mildly grainy taste with a harsh bit of alcohol up front. It finished fairly sweet and I could detect no hops at all

M: Thin, just like Keystone Light. Felt like water going down also

D: Just average. This doesnt taste bad, but its hard to stomach too many of them

I Made the mistake of drinking 24 of these in a sitting not long ago, and that is a mistake I will not be making again anytime soon. However, as far as ice beers, this one tasted better than most I have tried.

2.16/5  rDev +25.6%

It's a pale yellow in colour, smells of corn, and tastes of corn and water.

There, I got that out of the way. The can was cold but it still put out a decent head of foam so I'll give it that and it drinks prety easy so I'll give it that as well.

This is definitely a one of for me as I don't think I'd buy this again even if all the craft brews suddenly disappeared.

1.03/5  rDev -40.1%

This can of ice beer pours a yellow color and has a poor white head. The nose is of grainy malt and stale bitter hops. The taste is super light with some corn in there. Body is watery and over carbonated. This stuff is quite similar to Keystone's other beers. They are all equally bad.

2.73/5  rDev +58.7%

relatively drinkable cold, less impressive as it warms.

Smell weak, grainy and of alcohol.

alcohol present in the taste, which is okay, but basically gives the beer its only flavor.

mouthfeel weak.

what do you expect for the price? Not the worst beer I've ever had, though, and if you like the taste of alcohol itself, go for it.

1.82/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Pale golden color. After a hard pour, the head fizzed and disappeared the same way a Diet Coke's foam does. Not appetizing at all.

Smell: Very sweet, with an obvious alcoholic presence. There's a slight creamed corn-like grain aroma in the background, but mostly all you smell is the sweet, floral alcohol.

Taste: It's clean, I'll give them that. There are no off-flavors or offensive sour notes. Beer flavor is very hard to find, though; the grain is very soft, bland, and hard to pick out, and the sweet alcoholic finish masks whatever hop flavor the beer might have had. This is basically an alcohol delivery system, designed to get people drunk in the most no-frills way possible.

Verdict: A cheap college beer, one whose only purpose is to fuel 2:00AM Beer Pong games.

2.88/5  rDev +67.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, shiny yellow body.

Smell: Sweet-smelling pale malts with a few bubblegum wrappers and a dollop of shaving cream.

Taste: Sweet cereal taste with a hint of mad genetic tinkering. Hint of fake flowers. Very light touch of bitterness. Finishes sweet with a taste of Juicy Fruit bubblegum.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Surprisingly tolerable for a cheap, canned macro lager. You can't spell "nice" with i-c-e, baby!

2.4/5  rDev +39.5%

A while back had Keystone Light, so when I was offered a can of their Ice, decided to give it a go... this one is noticeably sweeter than the lighter version... a certain gasoline-sweetness pours through, and the decent 5.9% ABV for a macro wasn't bad either... Not the best American selection for the style, but not too horrible either... appearance and smell were not impressive at all, and the taste got a slight boost for the apparent sugar element... mouthfeel was oily, and drinkability was average at best for this style's representation... Not bad for the money, but there is much better to choose from...

1.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and poor lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet corn with a odd banana ester.

The taste was likewise full of sweet corn. Not much else detected beyond that.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style - thin. There was a heavy sweetness toward the finish.

Overall an unappetizing macro that I won't be drinking again.

2.13/5  rDev +23.8%

12oz can from a 24-pk that was on sale for $11.99 at a local Safeway. I needed some shit beer and I figured, "What the hell, it's on sale and I've never actually drank it." In fact, I haven't had any "Ice Beer" since an infamous night in early 1995, and there's a reason for that.

Anyway, this Poured a clear, pale gold color. A slightly rough pour actually produced a sudsy white head of about two inches in height. There were two weird-looking streams of bubbles arching skyward, much like PBS footage of undersea hot air vents. Weird, spidery lace left only towards the bottom of my glass.

The nose was pretty much as I expected, but no fouler. This had a mildly sweet, malty and corny scent.

Taste was like the smell, except that there was also a weird aftertaste that was a bit like apple juice. It wasn't in enough force to be unpleasant, but I was surprised, as "fruity" is not a descriptor I would have thought I'd employ to describe a beer wearing the vaunted Keystone label.

The mouthfeel is odd, as it's slightly sticky in a way I haven't encountered in a beer before. The body is slightly thick than I expected, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Not so much a beer as an alcohol delivery system. It's not undrinkable. In fact it's not unobectionable in terms of quality as it sets out to do what it's meant to do, but there's not much point to drinking it either, unless you feel you are in need of an alcohol delivery system and nothing else. I suppose it fills a niche for fratboys who want to tell themselves that they're a badass for drinking a beer that's nearly 6% alcohol.

1.5/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another beer whose flavor I will never forget.

Pours a darker than the light yellow. Less carbonation, but still way too much for the thin mouthfeel. Taste is skunky. Actually pretty damned bad, though the lack of flavor probably gave way to bad flavor in order to get the alcohol content up.

Tough to review.

I feel that I have a cast iron palate when it comes to drinking beer. I almost exclusively drink High Gravity Lagers because it has the most bang for the buck. I would prefer to drink quality micro beers and imports but they are too expensive to drink regularly. I would consider myself somewhat of a beer connoisseur. I can drink rot gut vodka straight without any problems but yet I would have to say Keystone ice is one of the most repulsive beers I have ever tried. The first time I ever tried it I can honestly say I thought it could possibly be contaminated or something like that and considered contacting the Brewery. I tried it months later and the results were the same! The taste is very metallic and chemical. You know its beer only by the faint hint of fermented grain. Anyone who says this is an OK beer is a liar!

1.03/5  rDev -40.1%

This beer is a beer for the ages. The extremely pale yellow color is not very appetizing and the smell is kind of pungeant. Not very much of anything good going on here except the price. Real cheap and it will get you drunk very fast. The mouthfeel is alot like Keystone Light - it is really flat and could use more carbonation to make it better. As for it's drinkability, it is not drinkable at all. It hurts going down and does not make me want any more. The black can is pretty cool though...

2.4/5  rDev +39.5%

12 ounce can given to me from a friend at a party

Smell and taste were very dry and bitter for this kind of beer, not very good

Color was golden brown and had a thick foamy head, but might have been because it wrestled around a bit

Could drink a good amount of these if you can handle the taste

2.88/5  rDev +67.4%

This beer is a light yellow, clear with little head. I gave it a three for appearance because the active carbonation in my Larry The Cable Guy pilsner glass is entertaining if nothing else. The smell is corny and as I have noticed before in a few brews, the smell of machined cast aluminum is present. The taste is corn, rice and a slight hint of vanilla. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This beer, as is most of the style, is easy to drink and non-filling. A lot of people bash this style but I for one think it has a place. 12 of these would be no challenge on a night of camping.

1.52/5  rDev -11.6%

Once again, I couldn't just walk by the 99 cent 24 oz can at the grocery store...it's almost like free beer.

A - Pale yellow clay colored brew with an instantaneously "now it's here, now it's gone" head....like watching The Life of Plants documentary in 6th grade where all the plants grow really fast and beers sprout heads and then lose them as the sun flies across the sky.

S - Fruity adjunct laden nose with a bit more malt than Keystone Light. It's a bit sweeter to my nose, but still share that familiar Keystone rotten fruity funk aroma. Tastes like really shitty champagne. I like this more than I thought I would!

T - Fruit, some sort of chemical molasses flavor, and con on the cob. Way more flavorful than the Keystone Light version. It's adjuncty tasting and overly sweet, but it's not all bad. As it warms I can taste alcohol though, so drink this quickly. As it nears room temp it actually tastes like vomit so hurry up and get it down if you must.

M - Much less crisp and carbonated than the light version. Much fuller in the mouth, but it's still pretty light bodied.

D - Not bad. I probably won't buy this again now that I've reviewed it. If I want and ice beer to chug on a hot day I'll take Icehouse over this...unless I see a 24 ozer for 99 cents again!

1.31/5  rDev -23.8%

The only real difference between these two participants in Macro Smackdown XIII is the fact that I'm using a can of Keystone Ice and a bottle of Mickey's Ice. The ABVs are very nearly identical. This will be another classic face-off (an appropriate term for two ice beers) between Miller and Coors. May be the least bad brewery win.

I don't mind the slightly paler color on this beer, since they're very close to the same, but the so-called head is crapilicious. It's grayish white and is one of the least attractive chunks of foam that I've seen in quite a while. It's mealy, soft, unsticky and looks like melting styrofoam. Needless to say, the pint glass is completely untouched. Keystone is the clear loser here.

The nose is odd and is a little off-putting. It isn't very grain-like, it's metallic and it has a strange, sweet, floral odor. Not like floral hops, but like flowers. Another win for the boys from Milwaukee.

Keystone Ice is horrific beer. I don't often have the urge to spit out my first mouthful, but I did in this case. How hard can it be to brew semi-palatable beer? It's almost as if the brewery set out to concoct something disgusting. If they had, they could scarcely have come up with anything worse than this. The beer tastes like sweetened, diseased grain and cheap perfume.

When you're fighting the almost overpowering urge to gag and retch, it makes assessing the mouthfeel an exponentially more difficult task. Neither beer distinguishes itself in this category and I'll have to call them roughly equal in the end.

The can tells me that Keystone Ice is 'always smooth'. I beg to differ. The mouthfeel isn't full enough to be smooth and the flavor is one of the rockiest, most gut-wrenching rides that I've taken in quite some time. My suggestion is that if you find yourself with no other choice, make sure the can is ice cold. On second thought, put the sucker in the freezer until it actually turns to ice... and then throw it away. Nothing is going to make it easier to get this one down.

Pours a golden water from 16 oz specially line can, with mild carbonation and a little more copper looking than Keystone Light, for example. Taste is pretty overwhelming with alcohol, especially when dranken warm at all. I could taste a bit of corn in this but it was basically like a Keystone Light with extra alcohol. It's like adding alcohol to one of the least flavoirful beers so I think that's why the alcohol is overwhelming to me. Serve Ice cold!!

Not much flavor here, maybe recommend at summer outings where the goal is to get bit fast, but that's about it, look for flavor from Milwaukee's Best Ice that at least tastes macro beer a bit with some flavor and will get you just as tipsy.

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. Doug and I used to drink this because we could get like a 50 pack for 2 bucks.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

2.9/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

If what you want is to get a buzz it is goood for that. I have had alot of beers. This isin't best but the effect is good. I guess if you are in a financial strap hold go for it there is nothing much to say about it. I like that i can get 30 stones and pay like 15 bucks for them.

1.48/5  rDev -14%

Keystone Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a fluffy white head from a sixteen ounce can. Smell is a cross between musty and estery at first, then just corn. Tastes like corn, but considerably worse than a typical macro. It has some off flavors, that I can't really identify. Bad. Can you say drain pour?

3.14/5  rDev +82.6%

I normally don't go around recommending bad domestic beers, but as a college student, my friends and I are often standing in a convenience store arguing over which brands "ice" we should be drinking. If you're going to drink Keystone, drink Keystone ice--another reviewer describes "rotten apples," and I agree--but it's a sweet aroma, too. And most definitely, if you are going to drink an "ice" (I know the high alcohol content is appealing to many), drink Keystone Ice.

The beer is very drinkable from the can and actually became a regular at our pick-up hockey games. It's not offensive and surprisingly (to some, not surprising at all), after a week of sitting in the snow, it kept its taste that we had become used to.

If worse comes to worse, and you're stuck with a selection of mass produced beers, grab a 12-pack of Keystone Ice. You'll survive until your next trip to the specialty shop

1.65/5  rDev -4.1%

Saw this at a local gas station, hadn't had keystone in years, and at $7.99 an 18 pack figured what they heck, give it a shot.

As an experiment, I decided to pour half of a can into a glass, and the other half i left in the "specially lined" can.

When i poured the half-glass, there was some fizzy head that dis-appeared immediately. What was left looks like a cup of piss.

The aroma is sweet grains, and old apple juice.

Not much in the way of flavor here. Just kind of sweet and fizzy. Oh and i don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but it seemed to be slighlty better (more drinkable) from the can. This really isn't a "pour in a glass" kind of beer anyways.

Bottom line, if you are on a budget and need to get your buzz on, this will do the trick. Don't drink this one for the flavor, but for the effect.

Keystone Ice from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)