Batch 19
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Batch 19Batch 19
Score:
Ranked #49,001
3.36 | pDev: 19.05%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 246 | Ratings: 1,271 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
odannyob from Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

This is the 2nd'round for this lager after an absence of several years and although I didn't try it during it's first run, I'm glad I finally have the opportunity to grab a taste and, I hope it joins the list of "available year-round" lagers. It probably won't but wtf anyway.
The look is a nifty golden brown (as poured into a stemmed pilsner glass, anyway); a full, thick head that slowly disappates from small, tight to larger, loose bubbles; taste-wise, excellent and excellent, again.
Over it all, if this water-soaked recipie is honestly from a pre-prohibtion time here in America, enjoy a drink of history; but, if not, enjoy it anyway.

May 13, 2020
Bshaw22 from Wisconsin

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

smells like next to nothing.
Tastes like next to nothing
Looks almost as clear as miller lite or coors.
Little to no head. Could crush these if I had to as they are literally close to water. Was this a light beer?! So confused. I thought this was supposed to be a "Prohibition Style Lager".
I'd give this a better score if they called it a light beer.

Feb 10, 2020
jwtroxell from Florida

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

For me, this was the beer that started it all. Before this prohibition style lager, I only knew of Yuengling, Pabst... Before this beer, I was just a kid. Of course I can only taste it now through a rose tinted straw, but I can remember handing a tenner to my friends the legal age, "go get that prohibition 19 stuff!" For the first time, I wasn't buying beer to get drunk, I just genuinely enjoyed the flavor. I would still kill a six by myself of course. I do hope they will bring it back again one day, for nostalgia's sake.

Mar 03, 2017
Rock_Glenn from New York

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank a lot of these when they were available, it really does taste like an old recipe, I wonder if the original Coors recipe was this tasty before all the adjuncts and cost cutting. It's among the best looking American lagers from the big brewers, taste is complex and grainy, smells slightly sour like most lagers to me, but if it's ever available again, I recommend giving it a shot.

Jun 01, 2016
stevoj from Idaho

2.53/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Meh! Nothing special here. Coors once again pretending to be something other than a macrobrew. Bland and uninteresting. Darker than normal for a lager, but aroma and taste are weak malt. Small creamy head but all else is average.

Feb 18, 2016
BeerBobber from Nevada

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice copper color with streaming bubbles and a quickly dissipating white head.

Smells of sweet malts and spring water.

Taste is sweet with toffee and caramel notes. Taste reminds me of a brown or amber ale.

Mouth feel is very refreshing with some sparkling carbonation on the tongue and a wet finish that really refreshes.

This is a real nice beer coming out of the Coors family that would pair well with a night out with friends.

Jan 14, 2016
ChemEBeerGeek from Singapore

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Look: A slight amount of sediment on the bottom of bottle, could be cold break, very clear, golden color with a slight amber hint to it. Not a very strong head, and faded away quickly. Looks about a 4 SRM.

Smell: initial malt, slight corn, very low hops,

Taste: stronger malt than a normal light american lager, balanced nicely with light bitterness. slight corn profile on the back of the tongue enhanced by the carbonation's acidity.

Feel: slight creaminess through out tongue, and carbonation is well balanced. initially slick and then very dry.

Overall: definitively better than their normal lager, and falls well into the light american lager profile with slightly more malt. Overall not a bad beer. I'd use it to convert friends from crap beer to craft.

Nov 22, 2015
ordybill from Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear amber color with a small off-white head. The aroma is a good blend of hops and caramel malt. The taste is big on malt with a hint of hops a surprising flavor from Coors. I really enjoyed it.

Nov 17, 2015
Raime from Greenland

2.89/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Coors Batch 19.

A gift from my long time drinking buddy Nick who I am slowly converting into the craft scene. I guess this supposed fancier than most lager is his way of telling me he is learning? who the hell knows. I've wanted to try this one oddly enough but $9.99 for a sixer of adjunct lager simply wasn't a trigger I would pull. Anyway, enough talking, let's see what we get.

Look - Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours an ever so slightly murked yellow with a quarter finger of head that quickly disappears before you can set the glass down to really get a look at it. Dies down to an ever breaking and ever reforming cloud formation amongst the top of the glass. Carbonation is extremely high, probably the highest I have ever seen in a beer which likely lends to the formations I had spoken of. Due to no retained head there will be no lacing. Next category.

Smell - To be quite honest this smells a lot like a bud light platinum and trust me I drank enough of them in my college years to know. Starts off with a chemical twitch followed by a high dosage of corny adjuncts along with white and dark rices. Corn flake cereal and dying hops that don't amount to anything. The malt bill is slightly there. Next category we go!.

Taste - At least the taste somewhat picks up. So far at least. The bread really pulls overtime here so long as the beer is ultra cold. Unfortunately it was able to warm just a bit and the adjuncts began running wild with their rice and corny fullness. BUT, where this beer separates is the bread does come back around here and there and makes it easier to drink. But my opinion of this flavor is that it isn't much different than most adjuncts.

Feel - Tge body is light to a lower level of moderate with a massive dosage of cold, tootg cutting carbonstion. The alcohol actually makes itself know here surprisingly and the beer swallows pretty easily although the chemical aspect noted in the nose comes through in the throat.

Overall - I have no clue what warrants the extra four dollars per four pack over your usual adjunct beers. It tastes much like any other adjunct, maybe a touch more flavorful. I wouldn't buy it myself, especially with much better beers being available in the category at much lower prices..

Nov 06, 2015
MLoxxer from Nebraska

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this beer as part of a mix and match six pack at a local grocery store. Being a person interested in what Americans drank before the Volstead Act I was intrigued by something describing itself as a pre-prohition lager. Had I been careful enough to see that it is a Coors product, I wouldn't have bought it.

The beer's head is not all that impressive in that it doesn't develop into a fluffy dense layer of foam. It does however linger nicely, which may very well be the way that late 19th and early 20th century beers were.

The aroma of this brew is pretty hoppy. Not being a big fans of hoppy beers I found this the biggest drawback.

The flavor is pretty mild, and not nearly as hoppy as the aroma. This one would make a nice session beer.

The feel is okay, their really isn't much body.

Overall I think its an acceptable beer for what it is supposed to be. I might have had a more substantive experience with this beer had I been more informed on what pre-prohibition beers were really like. As I don't like purveyors of the watery crap that has given US beers a bad name I won't be buying this one again.

Oct 31, 2015
carlborch from Michigan

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%

Brilliantly clear. Golden. 1 inch creamy head that persisted. Dusty-funky notes on the palate. Did not linger long, but thirst quenching. Decent Belgian lace.

Sep 08, 2015
TominGermany from Germany

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer which I sampled at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee WI. I haven't been impressed with American style lagers thinking they were pretty week and bland. Batch 19 had a nice taste and would have gladly had a second cup if I wasn't already at my limit of three samples. :)

Aug 29, 2015
mmmbeer89 from New Mexico

1.85/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i'm very surprised at the high ratings for this beer. there's virtually no smell, it's taste is very bland and watered down. i'd rather drink coors banquet anyday.

Jul 29, 2015
BeermanGREEK from Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Very shocked here. After pour smell and look, was unimpressed. Upon mouthfeel, also unimpressed. As it finishes, you are exposed to a great ambush of flavor/hops, which makes this a VERY enjoyable beer. Go to beer for me.

Jul 18, 2015
TopherBreski from New Jersey

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful brown and copper color with a ton of carbonation and a head that clinger to the edges of my glass forever. Very good wheat smell. Taste is not very good. It's super fizzy and tastes like tree bark.

Jul 06, 2015
GarrettB from Colorado

2.24/5  rDev -33.3%

August 22nd, 2013 - Is Coors Batch 19 a clumsy appeal to craft beer drinkers? Or something else? I'm going with "something else". While the color is a nice basset hound brown, the smell and taste give very little for the picky, internet crusading beer reviewer to go on. The aroma is generically sweet and nutty, like peanuts, but tainted with an off-putting urine smell. This face-wrenching note also appears in the aftertaste, after a sweeter gulp of the peanut flavored sugars and a very, very busy carbonation. This beer was left on the tasting room table for either a waiter or a drinker far more desperate for a sip than me.

Jun 01, 2015
pb9613 from Michigan

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful brownish gold color with a white head that barely lingers.

Smell: Smells clean with a heavy malt flavor. There is no off smell from the adjunct grains. Very light hops but that is expected from the noble hops used.

Taste: A solid malt beer with a hint of hops. A lot better than most lagers from the major breweries.

Mouthfeel: A light beer which is expected from a lager.

Overall: This is a winner from Coors.

May 17, 2015
cowboy1962 from Texas

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Golden/Brown. Doesn't look like any adjunct I've seen in a long time.
Smell: Smells more like a Sam Adams Boston Lager than an adjunct. I'm expecting a bitter taste based on smell and look.
Taste: OK. I was wrong. Not really that bitter at all, but it is there a very little in the aftertaste.
Feel: A little more body than a regular adjunct but not heavy or gritty.
Overall: I've been drinking beer for about 35 years and I think I know why people like this beer. It tastes like American beer did 35 years ago, before the macro brewers watered down what was already an adjunct beer. It tastes like an old school American Beer before rice and corn totally replaced malt and hops. I serious doubt this tastes like pre-prohibition beer, more like the late 70's, early 80's beer I grew up on.

May 15, 2015
buschbeer from Ohio

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

It is amber in color and clear. It is topped with less than an inch of white head that leaves no lacing.

I get some caramel notes and grain.

The taste seems to be more grain focused. There is a slight bitterness in the finish.

Pretty thin mouthfeel

Not a horrible beer from Coors. Of the big three Coors seems to produce the most drinkable beers, aside from their light beer.

May 10, 2015
SaltofOH from Ohio

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Reviewed 1-23-2015. Threshold beer glass. Bottle dated Feb. 9-2015.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear dark gold/light amber. Foamy, off-white head. VERY LITTLE carbonation. Retains a thin whitish film of a head. Some spotty lacing on the glass. Nice bottle with a twist-off cap.

Aroma: "Beery" Smells like an AAL. Smells like Coors [Banquet], actually (not like Dortmunder Gold which is what I expected). Pretty plain.

Taste: Not bad; very German. Clean, dry arrival. Malty mid-palate. Sweetening toward end. Than a malty and lightly bitter finish. A touch on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of mid-weight. Slightly slick (odd for a lager). More carbonation than expected from the appearance.

Overall: Certainly, no one will disapprove if you bring this to a barbecue in the fall. It is a bit sweet, though clearly German hopping. Not as roasty as Eliot Ness; sweeter than Sam Adams; WAY sweeter than Dortmunder Gold. Nice for a change, but a bit Blah. Perhaps would be better in warmer weather.

May 06, 2015
Cyberkedi from Georgia

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well - had to try this, it was all the pub had that I hadn’t already tried. Pours a clear golden amber with a fluffy and fine-bubbled wheat head. Have to give the big brews credit, they know how to make their pseudo-craft brews look. Strongly fruity and rather sweet aroma has a malty undertone. Flavor, though, is quite good - malty, fruity and hoppy, rather toothsome. Body is about average, though there is decent fizz. Coors, you’re not fooling anybody - but your Batch 19 is at least superior to your other stuff. Gotta give the devil his due. ;)

Mar 14, 2015
ChicagoJ from Illinois

3.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2/28 Bottle - Decent malt smell, OK but not a very strong taste or feel, and very light to drink. I prefer stronger beers and tastes, but this was a decent beer for what it is.

Mar 01, 2015
ShawnMN from Louisiana

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised to see it was a product of Coors. Good balance of hops and malt sugars to keep it mild and not too sweet nor bitter. Almost a wheaty soapy colored head that dyed quickly , I wasn't overall fond of. After smelling a slight nutty aroma from the brew, I enjoyed the beer with some slow cooked pulled pork and it coincided with the dinner just fine. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Jan 30, 2015
BeerBob44 from New York

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All in all not a bad beer. Definitely above average in its category. Look is a bit darker than others, smell is average, and taster a bit above. Liken it to a Yuengling, which is a good thing.

Jan 15, 2015
pat61 from Minnesota

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really wanted to dislike this beer but it is surprisingly good. It pours brilliant gold with a pure white 1” foam cap with masses of tiny bubbles that produce excellent lace. Has a clean, light malt, spicy herbal nose with a hint of earthiness and a light touch of grainy spice. The initial palate suggests light fruit – hints of apple but this soon hides behind rich grain and light malt with a crisp bitter emphasis on the finish with a faint lingering hint of anise from the hops. Medium light body and above average carbonation – seltzery but surprisingly drinkable.

Jan 05, 2015
Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 76 out of 100 with 1271 ratings