Batch 19
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Batch 19Batch 19
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
SCORE
Okay
Batch 19Batch 19
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Bouleboubier from New Jersey

4.01/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
To this day, one of the most head-turning, lore-churning lager beers I've had the privilege of sampling (June 2014)... Went on yet another job-quiting, jaunt-jolting trip away from Philly... Chicago for 5 draining days, then on to Milwaukee... After a welcome-to visit of Fred Pabst's pad, more bouncing to and fro from other spots in town, then onto a tour of the Miller plant... the subtle nuances of the swill escapes me to this day, but its woody, nutty, malt meaty foundation took me quite by surprise; served in a ~9 oz taster glass (looked like a small weizen glass) .... I wish I'd taken some photos of the draft house atmosphere; a time and place and malty moment that still replays in my head (1889)
Jun 03, 2022
Reviewed by JZH1000 from Colorado

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
Poured from a 12oz can
The look is what beer should look like. Frothy head that grows out of the can when you open it light carbonation bubbling up and retention of head with lacing

The smell is much more reminiscent of yeast than i expected it to, but omay not a lot going on other than grain and yeast. As it warms the "noble hops" they talk about come through, bit still smells quite sweet. Maybe some tartness bit it seems out of place among the malt

The taste is a bit better than the smell with some hop bitterness coming through after multie drinks, bit still very grainy and sweet. Definitely not a light beer as people are mentioning I can taste the grain immediately and it is quite sweet, but there are some German-y earthy hop qualities. Perhaps the sweetness was traditional back in the day but it does taste quite adjunct-y as well. It is coors after all. Seemingly is lacking off flavors that you might find in cheaper offerings.

The feel is quite smooth and the creaminess of the head shines through in the mouth feel bringing the experience to a quite nice almost cream soda like level (not really like cream soda but it's the best way I could find to describe it). I quite enjoy the mouth feel. And how easy it goes down.

Overall it's a spruced up coors banquet with slightly stronger flavors and actual discernable hops. Perhaps it was a pre prohibition traditional recipe, or it's just based on the recipe as some action movies are based on a true story. Who knows, but one thing for sure this is sure to please any coors fan out there as it seems to be them embracing the fact they are coors instead of trying to avoid it and hiding behind craft brewing brands they bought out as usual. Sorry for the beer politics, but the beer isnt as interesting as the literature would have you expect but it was an interesting one to try none the less.
Dec 02, 2021

Rated: 3.5 by TallGuyCM from California

Jun 24, 2020
Reviewed by odannyob from Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4
This is the 2nd'round for this lager after an absence of several years and although I didn't try it during it's first run, I'm glad I finally have the opportunity to grab a taste and, I hope it joins the list of "available year-round" lagers. It probably won't but wtf anyway.
The look is a nifty golden brown (as poured into a stemmed pilsner glass, anyway); a full, thick head that slowly disappates from small, tight to larger, loose bubbles; taste-wise, excellent and excellent, again.
Over it all, if this water-soaked recipie is honestly from a pre-prohibtion time here in America, enjoy a drink of history; but, if not, enjoy it anyway.
May 13, 2020
Reviewed by Bshaw22 from Wisconsin

2.3/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25
smells like next to nothing.
Tastes like next to nothing
Looks almost as clear as miller lite or coors.
Little to no head. Could crush these if I had to as they are literally close to water. Was this a light beer?! So confused. I thought this was supposed to be a "Prohibition Style Lager".
I'd give this a better score if they called it a light beer.
Feb 10, 2020

Rated: 3.35 by JohnDon from Texas

Oct 10, 2018

Rated: 4.04 by 94rocker1 from Michigan

Mar 24, 2018
Rated by Nickshug from Colorado

4.23/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
It was an overall average beer but had some unique flavor notes.
Feb 19, 2018

Rated: 3.5 by 1971bernat from Virginia

Dec 29, 2017
Reviewed by jwtroxell from Florida

3.81/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
For me, this was the beer that started it all. Before this prohibition style lager, I only knew of Yuengling, Pabst... Before this beer, I was just a kid. Of course I can only taste it now through a rose tinted straw, but I can remember handing a tenner to my friends the legal age, "go get that prohibition 19 stuff!" For the first time, I wasn't buying beer to get drunk, I just genuinely enjoyed the flavor. I would still kill a six by myself of course. I do hope they will bring it back again one day, for nostalgia's sake.
Mar 03, 2017

Rated: 4 by OriginalWayOut from North Carolina

Jan 20, 2017

Rated: 1.4 by Gkruszewski from New York

Jul 21, 2016
Reviewed by Rock_Glenn from New York

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
I drank a lot of these when they were available, it really does taste like an old recipe, I wonder if the original Coors recipe was this tasty before all the adjuncts and cost cutting. It's among the best looking American lagers from the big brewers, taste is complex and grainy, smells slightly sour like most lagers to me, but if it's ever available again, I recommend giving it a shot.
Jun 01, 2016

Feb 20, 2016
Reviewed by stevoj from Idaho

2.53/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
Meh! Nothing special here. Coors once again pretending to be something other than a macrobrew. Bland and uninteresting. Darker than normal for a lager, but aroma and taste are weak malt. Small creamy head but all else is average.
Feb 18, 2016
Reviewed by BeerBobber from Nevada

3.8/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
Pours a nice copper color with streaming bubbles and a quickly dissipating white head.

Smells of sweet malts and spring water.

Taste is sweet with toffee and caramel notes. Taste reminds me of a brown or amber ale.

Mouth feel is very refreshing with some sparkling carbonation on the tongue and a wet finish that really refreshes.

This is a real nice beer coming out of the Coors family that would pair well with a night out with friends.
Jan 14, 2016

Rated: 2.7 by DrAnnaNemis from Illinois

Jan 03, 2016
Reviewed by ChemEBeerGeek from Singapore

3.67/5  rDev +10.2%
Look: A slight amount of sediment on the bottom of bottle, could be cold break, very clear, golden color with a slight amber hint to it. Not a very strong head, and faded away quickly. Looks about a 4 SRM.

Smell: initial malt, slight corn, very low hops,

Taste: stronger malt than a normal light american lager, balanced nicely with light bitterness. slight corn profile on the back of the tongue enhanced by the carbonation's acidity.

Feel: slight creaminess through out tongue, and carbonation is well balanced. initially slick and then very dry.

Overall: definitively better than their normal lager, and falls well into the light american lager profile with slightly more malt. Overall not a bad beer. I'd use it to convert friends from crap beer to craft.
Nov 22, 2015

Rated: 3.43 by icemanexit from Indiana

Nov 21, 2015
Reviewed by ordybill from Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear amber color with a small off-white head. The aroma is a good blend of hops and caramel malt. The taste is big on malt with a hint of hops a surprising flavor from Coors. I really enjoyed it.
Nov 17, 2015
Reviewed by Raime from Korea (North)

2.89/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3
Coors Batch 19.

A gift from my long time drinking buddy Nick who I am slowly converting into the craft scene. I guess this supposed fancier than most lager is his way of telling me he is learning? who the hell knows. I've wanted to try this one oddly enough but $9.99 for a sixer of adjunct lager simply wasn't a trigger I would pull. Anyway, enough talking, let's see what we get.

Look - Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours an ever so slightly murked yellow with a quarter finger of head that quickly disappears before you can set the glass down to really get a look at it. Dies down to an ever breaking and ever reforming cloud formation amongst the top of the glass. Carbonation is extremely high, probably the highest I have ever seen in a beer which likely lends to the formations I had spoken of. Due to no retained head there will be no lacing. Next category.

Smell - To be quite honest this smells a lot like a bud light platinum and trust me I drank enough of them in my college years to know. Starts off with a chemical twitch followed by a high dosage of corny adjuncts along with white and dark rices. Corn flake cereal and dying hops that don't amount to anything. The malt bill is slightly there. Next category we go!.

Taste - At least the taste somewhat picks up. So far at least. The bread really pulls overtime here so long as the beer is ultra cold. Unfortunately it was able to warm just a bit and the adjuncts began running wild with their rice and corny fullness. BUT, where this beer separates is the bread does come back around here and there and makes it easier to drink. But my opinion of this flavor is that it isn't much different than most adjuncts.

Feel - Tge body is light to a lower level of moderate with a massive dosage of cold, tootg cutting carbonstion. The alcohol actually makes itself know here surprisingly and the beer swallows pretty easily although the chemical aspect noted in the nose comes through in the throat.

Overall - I have no clue what warrants the extra four dollars per four pack over your usual adjunct beers. It tastes much like any other adjunct, maybe a touch more flavorful. I wouldn't buy it myself, especially with much better beers being available in the category at much lower prices..
Nov 06, 2015
Reviewed by MLoxxer from Nebraska

3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
I bought this beer as part of a mix and match six pack at a local grocery store. Being a person interested in what Americans drank before the Volstead Act I was intrigued by something describing itself as a pre-prohition lager. Had I been careful enough to see that it is a Coors product, I wouldn't have bought it.

The beer's head is not all that impressive in that it doesn't develop into a fluffy dense layer of foam. It does however linger nicely, which may very well be the way that late 19th and early 20th century beers were.

The aroma of this brew is pretty hoppy. Not being a big fans of hoppy beers I found this the biggest drawback.

The flavor is pretty mild, and not nearly as hoppy as the aroma. This one would make a nice session beer.

The feel is okay, their really isn't much body.

Overall I think its an acceptable beer for what it is supposed to be. I might have had a more substantive experience with this beer had I been more informed on what pre-prohibition beers were really like. As I don't like purveyors of the watery crap that has given US beers a bad name I won't be buying this one again.
Oct 31, 2015

Rated: 2 by Muny from Missouri

Sep 14, 2015
Reviewed by carlborch from Michigan

2.81/5  rDev -15.6%
Brilliantly clear. Golden. 1 inch creamy head that persisted. Dusty-funky notes on the palate. Did not linger long, but thirst quenching. Decent Belgian lace.
Sep 08, 2015
Reviewed by TominGermany from Germany

3.52/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75
I was pleasantly surprised with this beer which I sampled at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee WI. I haven't been impressed with American style lagers thinking they were pretty week and bland. Batch 19 had a nice taste and would have gladly had a second cup if I wasn't already at my limit of three samples. :)
Aug 29, 2015

Rated: 2.66 by rw1992 from North Carolina

Aug 12, 2015
Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 76 out of 100 with 1274 ratings